IGNORED

Keep

Alan Dicks

Let everyone who’s contract is out go. Exceptions one of Weimann or Pato and Walsh. With Walsh I don’t get sense a contract is close so I am expecting him to leave. Can be persuaded to keep Mariappa for another season. 

Players like Wells, COD, Nagy and Dasilva I don’t think it is a market to sell them. Not much money about and they will have decent contracts to fulfil. So they will be around the squad. Dasilva in this group because injuries and I hope he stays fit and becomes part of the next group. Open to selling them but don’t think there will be much interest. 

Bentley, Vyner, O’Leary, Semenyo, Williams, Massengo, Palmer, Bakinson and Kalas are my core.     Open to selling up to 2 of them. If Bentley and Semenyo interest is real then I’d try and generate transfer funds with them. Thinking is O’Leary is capable I believe to be a good championship keeper. Semenyo has potential but he may never reach it and we could use someone more ready. Semenyo depends on fee. Less than 4-5m I would keep. Idk how feasible that is but I’d like it to be more but no idea what the market will look like this summer. 

Then there are the kids. We will need to rely on a few of them as subs and in cup games. Hopefully do not have to rely heavily in league matches. 

Then concentrate whatever funds we have for 4-5 starting level players. Top CB, top striker, better RB, a top winger and another winger with pace(thinking younger to develop but good enough for L1, think jonny smith?). 

edit forgot Palmer and probably 1-2 more

Personally speaking I wouldn’t mind if entire first team squad went.

We would then be making a clear statement that we will no longer be an easy touch for players seeking a club that requires from them no improvement/ no personal fitness/no determination/ no fight etc - or a last golden pay check when over the hill.  We would signal, with NP in charge, that the last 20 years were now consigned to history.  24 hungry players wanted of whom all want to get to the top league with City.  

4 hours ago, Sturgess said:

Insightful contribution.

I think it’s clear that the issue extends way beyond pure playing ability now and it is the mindsets that have been ingrained in to the players by successive managers/head coaches. 

In my opinion, it is the perfect time to have big clear-out and let NP arrest the rot and fear that has been tolerated for too long. To do that, he needs his own players and most importantly, time.

Well we’ve all contributed 3/4 times already then another topic gets started debating the same things.

Probably would have avoided the thread if it had been given a descriptive title

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Let’s hope so. When fit Baker is a decent CB but the guys just too injury prone. 

Not really 

If we're going to play a press style, I'd add Nagy and Weimann as ones to keep, plus Williams and Walsh. 

We, on the other hand, need an entirely new defence. If we need to sell Bentley and Semenyo sold to fund it for circa £10m, I'd take it if there was interest. 

Wingers are also a must, need competition if we're to continue Pearson's 4-5-1/4-3-3.

In terms of the squad for next season - this is what I'd go for, based on assumption we cannot afford to go wild spending-wise and cannot afford to upgrade everything at once.

GK

Bentley (though would consider cashing in if a crazy offer received in order to upgrade the rest of the squad)

O' Leary

RB

2 signings (though would like to keep Sessegnon if we could)

Release Hunt

CB

Keep Kalas, Vyner

3 new signings (though I'm not sure if Cundy or Towler will be ready and I'd not see keeping Baker or Mariappa as the worst thing in the world)

Move on Moore unless he makes improvements in his concentration 

LB

Keep Dasilva and Pring and offer new contract to Rowe as utility cover for a number of positions

CM

Keep Williams, Nagy, Massengo and Palmer and offer new contract to Walsh

Release Lansbury and  Paterson

Loan out Bakinson

Wings

Keep Semenyo 

Probably keep O'Dowda on basis that we may not be able to sell him

Sign two wingers (unless Edwards or Pearson judged ready to contribute regularly)

Release Adelakun

Fowards

Keep Martin and offer new deal to Weimann

Release Diedhiou and Watkins

Try to find a buyer for Wells. 

Make a decision on whether Bell, Conway or Britton are ready but buy one or two new forwards depending on answer to that question 

On 03/04/2021 at 09:59, GrahamC said:

There are a lot still under contract that it will prove hard to shift. The likes of Moore, Bakinson, Wells, possibly Nagy.

Far better to concentrate on those whose deals expire first, of those (there are about 14), Mariappa might get a deal as cover but I cannot see much of a case for any of the others, personally I like Paterson but he has had a horrible season injury wise, so would understand us parting ways.

O’Leary is 24 so cannot be called a youngster any more, he should definitely stay.

Yes oleary has never let us down must be knocking on the door Bentley great shot stopper but dont come out and inspire confidence on crosses .

The main problem with the current season is that injuries have influenced the team's performances in many ways, and some invididuals probably couldn't show enough their true value.

I think some of our players would have performed much better in teams with less injuires: Wells at the centre of the attack instead of playing wide, Hunt and Rowe being rested sometimes, the creativity task being shared by Palmer, Paterson and Walsh instead of depending only on one of them, O'Dowda back to his original role (winger) instead of being forced to be a Williams/Weimann II, Semenyo/Wells taking advantage of Martin's tactical work (that Diédhiou can't guarantee), a defence that doens't have to face frequent changes, etc. 

Surely our squad was a bit unbalanced (only one true LB, lack of defensive midfielders and wingers) and some players are more important than others...but if I were Pearson I would have a headache while thinking about who can be useful next season (hopefully in the Championship). Choices that could be only partly technical: let's not forget that Covid is having an impact on the club's finances, so it's unrealistic to expect a real revolution in the team...and the heavy unjury problems that some of the player had could be a key factor too (I think about Weimann, Williams, Walsh, maybe Dasilva too).

That being said..I'll wait the end of the season to give my names. ?

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

In terms of the squad for next season - this is what I'd go for, based on assumption we cannot afford to go wild spending-wise and cannot afford to upgrade everything at once.

GK

Bentley (though would consider cashing in if a crazy offer received in order to upgrade the rest of the squad)

O' Leary

RB

2 signings (though would like to keep Sessegnon if we could)

Release Hunt

CB

Keep Kalas, Vyner

3 new signings (though I'm not sure if Cundy or Towler will be ready and I'd not see keeping Baker or Mariappa as the worst thing in the world)

Move on Moore unless he makes improvements in his concentration 

LB

Keep Dasilva and Pring and offer new contract to Rowe as utility cover for a number of positions

CM

Keep Williams, Nagy, Massengo and Palmer and offer new contract to Walsh

Release Lansbury and  Paterson

Loan out Bakinson

Wings

Keep Semenyo 

Probably keep O'Dowda on basis that we may not be able to sell him

Sign two wingers (unless Edwards or Pearson judged ready to contribute regularly)

Release Adelakun

Fowards

Keep Martin and offer new deal to Weimann

Release Diedhiou and Watkins

Try to find a buyer for Wells. 

Make a decision on whether Bell, Conway or Britton are ready but buy one or two new forwards depending on answer to that question 

Your midfielders. This is our weakest part of the team. Defensively weak and nowhere near enough creation going forward. 

Williams I cannot comment on as he's been injured for the whole season.

Nagy is a regular selection for Hungary but I feel he is not suited to the ruggedness of Championship midfields - he's  not suitable defensively and is not what I would call a "tin opener" who will produce the sitters for our forwards to score/waste. Palmer is, IMO, a one trick showboater who has actually worked a bit harder since Pearson arrived. But same as Nagy defensively and in attack.

Walsh is still an unknown quantity at this level. Would like to think he will contribute but to go into next season hoping he is the answer is asking for trouble. 

So that leaves us a 19 year old Massengo to build our midfield around. Not fair on HNM.

Thus if Walsh stays with HNM,we need at least three experienced midfield plus the Academy boys in the wings like Morton and Scott.

PS. I don't rate Callum O'Dowda as a midfield or winger. Doesn't have what I call a football brain, runs well with the ball but cannot look up to see who are what is around him.

I'll leave the back line and strikers forothers to add their sixpenneth!

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Your midfielders. This is our weakest part of the team. Defensively weak and nowhere near enough creation going forward. 

Nagy is a regular selection for Hungary but I feel he is not suited to the ruggedness of Championship midfields - he's  not suitable defensively and is not what I would call a "tin opener" who will produce the sitters for our forwards to score/waste. Palmer is, IMO, a one trick showboater who has actually worked a bit harder since Pearson arrived. But same as Nagy defensively and in attack.

Walsh is still an unknown quantity at this level. Would like to think he will contribute but to go into next season hoping he is the answer is asking for trouble. 

So that leaves us a 19 year old Massengo to build our midfield around. Not fair on HNM.

Thus if Walsh stays with HNM,we need at least three experienced midfield plus the Academy boys in the wings like Morton and Scott.

PS. I don't rate Callum O'Dowda as a midfield or winger. Doesn't have what I call a football brain, runs well with the ball but cannot look up to see who are what is around him.

I agree with a fair bit of this,

Palmer, not for me I'm afraid, He has perked up under NP but seems to be going backwards again. He is a bit of a showboat pony and not a player who I think will perform consistently and only in patches so back up at best.

Massengo, is a young player who will just get better and we are seeing this now with good coaching, a bit of belief in both the management and himself, he will be a big part of next season.

Nagy, I like but he does tent to chase the ball going hopelessly out of position and this moves other players to cover his position and that pulls the team out of shape. So another no really

Williams I have great hopes for but he's an unknown quantity as we not seen him at all

Walsh see above

Lansbury, Thanks mate but the Villa management and fans are spot on

Bakinson, has got talent but I just don't see him at this level

So That for me is a one definite starter in midfield with two unknowns but could be, we need another two for next season if we run with a three man midfield which I think we will

47 minutes ago, M.D said:

I agree with a fair bit of this,

Palmer, not for me I'm afraid, He has perked up under NP but seems to be going backwards again. He is a bit of a showboat pony and not a player who I think will perform consistently and only in patches so back up at best.

Massengo, is a young player who will just get better and we are seeing this now with good coaching, a bit of belief in both the management and himself, he will be a big part of next season.

Nagy, I like but he does tent to chase the ball going hopelessly out of position and this moves other players to cover his position and that pulls the team out of shape. So another no really

Williams I have great hopes for but he's an unknown quantity as we not seen him at all

Walsh see above

Lansbury, Thanks mate but the Villa management and fans are spot on

Bakinson, has got talent but I just don't see him at this level

So That for me is a one definite starter in midfield with two unknowns but could be, we need another two for next season if we run with a three man midfield which I think we will

Agree with a lot of this, been saying for a while our midfield is hugely overrated on here.

Full of “could have, should have, would have” types.

Though I think it is harsh saying Williams is an unknown quantity, as he has played a fair amount at this level, just not for us in an injury plagued season.

Beyond that I think we have to be realistic about Palmer, NP has got far more out of him but he is never going to be a consistent 35 games a season player, but likewise we have no chance of anyone taking him off our hands, so let’s make use of him.

Massengo I like & should be an important squad player, but he’ll only just be 20 when next season starts & it is a huge ask to build a midfield around him.

Agree with your summary of Nagy, personally I’d keep him over Walsh or Bakinson but he doesn’t really suit English football so a move abroad makes sense.

Can’t understand the Walsh love in, less than 10 starts at Championship level & injury prone, 24 in September, I’d want to see something convincing in the remaining 7 games to offer him a deal.

Bakinson is an odd one, flashes of good play, the occasional excellent pass, but he drifts around completely ineffectually far too often for me.

Lansbury shouldn’t feature for us again, we have seen enough.

We do need to bring in 2 quality, proven Championship midfielders like Ruddock at Luton & Reach at Sheff Wednesday.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

With midfield, I think one of the issues is a pragmatic one. Pearson has said there is not a fortune to spend, that it's going to take four to six windows to get the team right and that we should not expect miracles.

Midfield is an area where we have a lot of players under contract in a market where few are going to be paying fees.

The reality is that - purely based off where players out of contract and likely to move on - we need to sign/get under contract two wing backs, at least two central defenders, a striker and probably a couple of wingers. 

That's seven spots already where we need to get players in. They're also areas where we can improve the team by getting better quality than we have already.

But once we've made those seven signings, I'm not convinced how much room/scope there will be to significantly spend in midfield too. In the long run, we need to improve the midfield for sure. But I'm not convinced how realistic it will be this summer given the areas where we are going to have to get new players in. And I'd rather we made quality additions than spread our budget too thinly. 

57 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We do need to bring in 2 quality, proven Championship midfielders like Ruddock at Luton & Reach at Sheff Wednesday.

As above, agree with the sentiment but don't really see it happening this year given where else we have to strengthen already. 

On 03/04/2021 at 13:21, Davefevs said:

If only to win a £10 bet ???

As for squad.

I’m glad I kept my powder dry on Bakinson and didn’t go all-in on him after 4-5 games.  Came in and did well early season, but we were also playing well (debatable admittedly).  I think teams sussed his weaknesses which I said would happen and then we’d see his true ability as the season progressed.

What we appear to have seen is what has happened in previous seasons he’s had on loan.  A blistering start followed by a tail off.  He’s been given a challenge by NP and he’s not risen to it.

Do I think he’s a bad player?  Definitely not.  Do I think he’s got the desire to succeed?  Probably not.  Would I try and move him on in the summer?  Probably.

Taylor Moore.  Another summer at Crossroads Motel!!  We write the same stuff every Spring.  He’s 24 in a month’s time and has fallen down the pecking order.  He’s not a lost cause by any stretch, but at some point I’d hoped he’d have kicked on.

Nahki Wells. Unless NP sees him as his #1 CF, then I see little point in keeping him and playing him LW.  Won’t be easy to shift, but we will see on Monday who starts.

Adam Nagy.  I’d try and get whatever I can for him.  I’ve written plenty, I don’t think he’s what we need.

Squad for the summer subject to bids for players you’d want to keep:

Bentkey / O’Leary

No RB

Kalas / Vyner / Cundy / Baker

Dasilva / Pring / Nurse

Massengo / Williams / Walsh / O’Dowda / Palmer

Weimann / Martin / Semenyo

Baker would be out the door, just can’t justify his wages anymore. O’dowda would also be shown the door too 

We need pretty big changes, but I do think if you have a clear-out as drastic as a few have suggested here, you get a team where no-one knows each other, few have played together and built up any understanding and you take a third of a season to get the huge influx of new players to gel. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

We need pretty big changes, but I do think if you have a clear-out as drastic as a few have suggested here, you get a team where no-one knows each other, few have played together and built up any understanding and you take a third of a season to get the huge influx of new players to gel. 

Hence the 4-6 windows quote. NP has got to build a team that can play on the front foot and the counter attack not just the counter attack like the current lot. Imo LJ built a team to keep himself in a job and the one dimensional element of the squad not only caught up with him but has messed the club up since. Our home form has been abysmal for years now.

What Pearson needs to do simply cannot be achieved in 1-2 windows and people need to put the previous bullshit from the club about top 6 aspirations behind them and get real. Patience will be needed.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Hence the 4-6 windows quote. NP has got to build a team that can play on the front foot and the counter attack not just the counter attack like the current lot. Imo LJ built a team to keep himself in a job and the one dimensional element of the squad not only caught up with him but has messed the club up since. Our home form has been abysmal for years now.

What Pearson needs to do simply cannot be achieved in 1-2 windows and people need to put the previous bullshit from the club about top 6 aspirations behind them and get real. Patience will be needed.

Totally correct.

A decent squad evolves with time. The fantasy football league approach rarely works. When you look at this season's Championship, clubs with a massive churn of players don't seem to be the ones necessarily succeeding. 

In practical terms, this means potentially keeping some players on who haven't looked great this term, but NP thinks he can improve.  I also will be very interesting to see the pre-season games this summer.  Be nice to see which youngsters NP thinks he might be able to bring into contention.  They are performing pretty well as an U23 side. We might be surprised who makes the step up in 21/22.

Archived