IGNORED

Keep

Alan Dicks

On 04/04/2021 at 20:51, Red-Robbo said:

We need pretty big changes, but I do think if you have a clear-out as drastic as a few have suggested here, you get a team where no-one knows each other, few have played together and built up any understanding and you take a third of a season to get the huge influx of new players to gel. 

From NP's comments, I'm now expecting more continuity than we might all expect/desire.

I reckon we might offer a few one-year extensions to players such as Walsh, Paterson, Weimann and Baker...maybe even Hunt. Why? Well because recruiting a new team will take time, and now is not an optimal time.

On 04/04/2021 at 17:39, Dan Robin said:

That being said..I'll wait the end of the season to give my names. ?

Where do I start?!? ?

Tricky situation for Nigel and the club: they have to consider many criteria regarding the players (skills, frequency of injuries, contracts, tactical direction) but also the possibile impact of Euro 2021: what if we release both Pato and Lansbury, and then have to sell Nagy too because he attracts interest from foreign clubs? Same for Kalas, who should be one of our pillars, but he could be tempted to leave if he received a very good offer. 

Then there are our Players Of The Season: Bentley and Semenyo. I would be very surprised if both stayed, and I think that the keeper has more chances to being approached by PL clubs, because of age and level of performances.

What about the size of the team? We know that we have to trim it, but at the same time we should not underestimate the effects that this season's injury crisis could have, especially for some players: that's why I guess we need to keep a ''reserve tank'' (loans with recall option, youngsters who seem more ready for the 1st team), in order to be covered if injuries increase at some point.

After this long introduction...here is what I'd do:

OUT: Baker, Rowe, Simpson, Walsh (injured for too long + contract issue),Adelakun, Watkins, Diédhiou (he wants to go) + Bentley (main target for bigger clubs, I fear), Cundy

KEEP: Hunt (reserve), Mariappa (reserve), Weimann

DOUBTS: Lansbury & Paterson: maybe we should keep only one of them, but if Nigel want to start with a 4-3-3, both could be useful (the first one in midfield, the other one as a creative winger) ; Moore is also a doubt, and his destiny could be linked to Vyner and his role (RB or CB?).

IN: new CB to replace Baker, new CM to replace Walsh/cover Williams in case of injury, an experienced/reliable reserve GK to compete with O'Leary, and a winger to compete with/replace Semenyo (especially if Pato goes). Then other signings would depend on possible outgoings (Nagy, Kalas, etc.) or opportunities of the transfer market (young PL striker on loan?)

Trying to mix all these pieces...

......................O'Leary
......................(    ?    )
...................(Wollacott)                        

....,,.Vyner...(    ?    )....Kalas....Dasilva             
.....(Hunt)(Mariappa)(Moore) (Pring)              

............Nagy...(    ?    )...Lansbury/Paterson
...(Massengo)(Williams)(Palmer)              
.......................(Bakinson)        

.......(   ?   ).....Wells.....O'Dowda                
....(Semenyo)(Martin)(Weimann)
......................(Janneh)

Youngsters loaned out or kept as emergence backup: Wiles-Richards, Nurse, Towler, Morton, Scott, Bell, Ow.Edwards, S.Pearson, Britton?

As you see, I wouldn't do many changes, because I think that a less injured City side would have played better and recorded less KO during the season, but also because we can't realistically change too many players, for many reasons (in the case of Palmer, for exemple, his stay could be more a ''can't find buyers'' than a ''we really trust him'' situation).

Some players are obviously a gamble (O'Leary is not at Bentley's level, Pring and Janneh have never played in the Championship, Weimann, Dasilva and Williams recovery process, etc.), but we would have more solutions to change our XI (if injuries don't interfere heavily again).

34 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Where do I start?!? ?

Tricky situation for Nigel and the club: they have to consider many criteria regarding the players (skills, frequency of injuries, contracts, tactical direction) but also the possibile impact of Euro 2021: what if we release both Pato and Lansbury, and then have to sell Nagy too because he attracts interest from foreign clubs? Same for Kalas, who should be one of our pillars, but he could be tempted to leave if he received a very good offer. 

Then there are our players of the seasons: Bentley and Semenyo. I would be very surprised if both stayed, and I think that the keeper has more chances to being approached by PL clubs, because of age and level of performances.

What about the size of the team? We know that we have to trim it, but at the same time we should not underestimate the effects that this season's injury crisis could have, especially for some players: that's why I guess we need to keep a ''reserve tank'' (loans with recall option, youngsters who seem more ready for the 1st team), in order to be covered if injuries increase at some point.

After this long introduction...here is what I'd do:

OUT: Baker, Rowe, Simpson, Walsh (injured for too long + contract issue),Adelakun, Watkins, Diédhiou (he wants to go) + Bentley (main target for bigger clubs, I fear), Cundy

KEEP: Hunt (reserve), Mariappa (reserve), Weimann

DOUBTS: Lansbury & Paterson: maybe we should keep only one of them, but if Nigel want to start with a 4-3-3, both could be useful (the first one in midfield, the other one as a creative winger) ; Moore is also a doubt, and his destiny could be linked to Vyner and his role (RB or CB?).

IN: new CB to replace Baker, new CM to replace Walsh/cover Williams in case of injury, an experienced/reliable reserve GK to compete with O'Leary, and a winger to compete with/replace Semenyo (especially if Pato goes). Then other signings would depend on possible outgoings (Nagy, Kalas, etc.) or opportunities of the transfer market (young PL striker on loan?)

Trying to mix all these pieces...

......................O'Leary
......................(    ?    )
...................(Wollacott)                        

....,,.Vyner...(    ?    )....Kalas....Dasilva             
.....(Hunt)(Mariappa)(Moore) (Pring)              

............Nagy...(    ?    )...Lansbury/Paterson
...(Massengo)(Williams)(Palmer)              
.......................(Bakinson)        

.......(   ?   ).....Wells.....O'Dowda                
....(Semenyo)(Martin)(Weimann)
......................(Janneh)

Youngsters loaned out or kept as emergence backup: Wiles-Richards, Nurse, Towler, Morton, Scott, Bell, Ow.Edwards, S.Pearson, Britton?

As you see, I wouldn't do many changes, because I think that despite that a less injured City side would have played better and recorded less KO during the season, but also because we can't realistically change too many players, for many reasons (in the case of Palmer, for exemple, his stay could be more a ''can't find buyers'' than a ''we really trust him'' situation).

Some players are obviously a gamble (O'Leary is not at Bentley's level, Pring and Janneh have never played in the Championship, Weimann, Dasilva and Williams recovery process, etc.), but

Don't agree with a few of your choices, but good to have your considered thoughts Dan. ?

i know alot of players will be leaving this summer and i get the reasons why. money injuries and all that. one thing that does concern me are we going to find better players than Baker pato walsh and so on. it could cost alot of money. i do know these players have been injured.  i am thinking when they are fit to play. 

I think we just sit and watch. NP has decided and he will retain who he thinks can do a job for him and the team. If they don’t fit into his plans for whatever reason or the player doesn’t fancy it then so be it 

NP will have players identified who can so let’s see what happens 

I think it is possible to make a case for several of these players staying but Pearson has been here long enough to see them & to decide if they fit in with what he wants to do.

I do not accept at all that these players will be difficult to replace though, many sides are at our level also have loads out of contract & so the market will be flooded & wages will drop.

Pearson has also been at pains to point out we will not be bringing in replacements for all of them, so if 11 do go today then probably only 5 or 6 will arrive.

A review of the medical, strength & conditioning side will hopefully see Dasilva, Williams, O’Dowda, Weimann & Martin feature far more frequently next season.

Archived