IGNORED

In Conversation with ....... Danny Wilson

headhunter

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

Danny Wilson is my favourite manager of the last 20 years. Played exciting and attractive football. It was a joy to go to AG. Pure entertainment. I looked forward to every game.

Sadly that entertainment dissolved after he was sacked and I’ve not experienced the same attacking and front foot football since.

Yep the only time i have known for an extended period of time we were known for playing good football. 

Just couldn't get us over the line

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

That’s what was said on the podcast.......

47 minutes ago, North London Red said:

We made three substitutions during the final against Brighton. Wilkshire, Murray and Goodfellow all came on in the second half. 

Should have checked the official site @Robbored

Also the 3 substitute rule had been in for quite a few years by that point.

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

Perhaps if he had been given the level of financial support in the transfer market enjoyed by Lee Johnson things might have turned out differently?

Wow, I can't believe you're serious? Danny Wilson was afforded greater resources than any other City manager up to that point. 

And in other news, it turns out Klopp has been given a bigger transfer budget than Shankley was ?

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

“Never seriously backed in the transfer market” I must have imagined that £600k he was given to sign Lee Peacock in 2000 then..

No one was spending anything like that sort of sum in the third division then.

Wilson also spent £300k on the completely mediocre Lee Miller.

Absolute bluffer who seemingly allowed his players to get pissed & fight in town on a regular basis.

Thank goodness for GJ.

Exactly this. And I absolutely loved the entertaining football we played for large parts of the Wilson years, but ultimately he underachieved given the resources he was allowed. 

Danny wilson was the manager when i started getting into football and supporting Bristol city, so in my eyes theres always going to be a soft spot.

It seemed back then that the football was so much more fun and attacking, not just city, there was more passion from the players and the fans.

Now, probably because these players make so much money, the disconnect between fans and players is so much greater, most people dont feel that close to the clubs like they used to.

The best game i ever went to was the hartlepool semi final.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Bit easier against Cambridge, Oldham, Port Vale and others of a similar ilk. The play off defeat v Brighton was one of the worst no shows I've ever seen from us.

Yeah , followed by a sizable city vs city punch up in the Wetherspoons by temple meads as I recall. I think I was on a three quid win out the quizzer when that erupted and never got it out . Bad times

7 minutes ago, prankerd said:

It seemed back then that the football was so much more fun and attacking, not just city, there was more passion from the players and the fans.

Now, probably because these players make so much money, the disconnect between fans and players is so much greater, most people dont feel that close to the clubs like they used to.

I totally agree with the fact that football was so much more exciting back then. I feel the advent of tikka takka football, perfected by the Spain/Barca teams led to an obession with possession based football. 

Maybe it is technically superior. Boy can it be boring to watch though. Especially when your players don't have the technical ability to execute it. 

I hope the fashion swings back to more direct, attacking football at some point. It does feel like coaches are a bit sheep-like and all follow the current trend. Southgate being a particularly uninspiring example. 

I enjoy the way Klopp got Liverpool playing up until this season. I hope they start winning again soon so more teams play that kind of attacking football. 

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Didn't ask him about the booze culture - some things are best left unsaid.

Tommy D was never the same after he had a bout of glandular fever IIRC; obviously the booze [alleged by some] didn't help but maybe he became frustrated at his inability to perform as he had done previously. On course to be a Gerry Gow type had that not happened?

Hmm... Well anyway I was enjoying a drink with some mates in the Lounge in North Street one day in about 2002 or 2003, it was midweek early afternoon. 

Imagine my surprise when Tom Doherty and Christian Roberts strolled in. I guess they must have come straight from training.

They both ordered a pint of lager, then Tommy Doc broke open a fresh pack of Marlboro Lights and came up to me and asked for a light.

I 'allege' this because it's true, it happened and didn't seem overly bizarre at the time. Although I wasn't then aware of Roberts' alcoholism (I've since read his excellent book), there had been rumours about the drinking culture and I think we had all seen Tommy Doc throwing up pitchside during a game, and had drawn our own conclusions. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s a fact. I’ve not felt that ‘buzz’ on a regular basis since those days.

I got that ‘buzz’ when City beat Palace in the pray off semi and again when City beat Manchester Utd but they were one off games.

Did you not feel that ‘buzz’ after clinching promotion against Rotherham on the last day of the 06/07 season, or the 6-0 win at Bradford to clinch promotion in style, and then the 8-2 win against Walsall on the last day of the 14/15 season? Very strange if you didn’t...

14 minutes ago, OutstandingMixer said:

Did you not feel that ‘buzz’ after clinching promotion against Rotherham on the last day of the 06/07 season, or the 6-0 win at Bradford to clinch promotion in style, and then the 8-2 win against Walsall on the last day of the 14/15 season? Very strange if you didn’t...

No.

I reckon that I was spoilt by the classy football that DW severed up, scoring loads of goals along the way, it was an exciting time under him and imo those days are yet to be repeated,

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

No.

I reckon that I was spoilt by the classy football that DW severed up, scoring loads of goals along the way, it was an exciting time under him and imo those days are yet to be repeated,

But the results, performances and the amount of goals we scored under SC in the 14/15 season was excellent, so I’m confused really.

I guess you don’t enjoy winning/promotion football then...

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

No.

It was exciting and ultimately very disappointing.  With the resources Wilson had we should have been promoted in all of the four campaigns he managed. That we managed to get to only one play off final in that time indicates the scale of his failure.  Gary Johnson got us promoted after only 18 months of management with a squad which was half as talented as the squad Danny Wilson had at its disposal.  Wilson’s failure was made even more abject by his refusal to deal with the drinking culture widely reported at the club at the time (for a graphic picture of that, read Christian Roberts’s autobiography).  He may have come across as a nice guy, but ultimately he was a weak and unsuccessful manager.  I am flabbergasted that anyone could have enjoyed his tenure more that our success under Gary Johnson or Steve Cotterill.

7 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Last season under Wilson play off final season. The football under Wilson was quite boring, he seemed to have gone more defensive that season and the football was the same.

I mentioned that in the interview re. the change of style which I thought had been prompted by the fact that in 02/03 Wigan finished top with a dour approach winning most 1 OR 2-0. If you listen he didn't agree that was the case. 

29 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I enjoyed the Wilson era as the football was, in the main, exciting but I think it was more that it wasn`t Pulisball than anything else.

The anti-Pulis sentiment that prevails on here is driven, IMHO, more by the fact that he is ex.Gas than anything else - he was only in charge for 33 games. I certainly saw all the home games and would argue that at home under Johnson and Holden for the past three and a half years the football was not a lot better in fact I would say it was worse!!!

2 minutes ago, headhunter said:

The anti-Pulis sentiment that prevails on here is driven, IMHO, more by the fact that he is ex.Gas than anything else - he was only in charge for 33 games. I certainly saw all the home games and would argue that at home under Johnson and Holden for the past three and a half years the football was not a lot better in fact I would say it was worse!!!

I think you have a point with the ex gas thing but from my memory it was more him being ex gas and hating Bristol City than it was us hating him because he was ex gas. 
I watched Stoke quite a lot under him thanks to my wife and her dad being Stoke fans, it included an FA cup semi final and final (the semi was brilliant football) and abroad in Europe and it certainly wasn’t all bad

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

No.

Why do you do this? We all know the football under Steve Cotterill was absolutely class! Running away with the league, front foot football etc. Cotterill did that in one season. Your precious Wilson failed after 4. Give it up for once. 

16 hours ago, headhunter said:

Why didn't most of the rest of the team show up that day - many were out of contract in the summer so for them it would have been turkeys voting for Christmas if they got promoted. City didn't make the same mistake in 2008 - rumour has it that all squad members that day knew they would be rewarded with at least a one year deal on Premier League money.

That squad was without doubt capable of promotion, but I always felt that Tinnion and his cronies were "comfortable" at that level and pulled up short every season.

The 2002-03 season was the most fun I've ever had watching City. That was a brilliant team that was so good to watch.

Anyone who looks back at his last season (2003-04) and thinks we played wonderful football is re-writing history, though.

We became much more conservative after the 100-goal campaign, playing two holding midfielders - Burnell and Doherty - and were for the most part pretty average. We went on that remarkable 11-game winning run, which contained several late winners, but that aside we never came close to replicating what we'd done previously under him in terms of style.

He'd almost turned us into a bit of a grind-it-out team like the Wigan Athletic side that were so formidable under Paul Jewell. The Brighton play-off final wasn't as out-of-keeping with the rest of the season as some fans make out and, truthfully, it did feel like that group had reached the end.

8 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

The 2002-03 season was the most fun I've ever had watching City. That was a brilliant team that was so good to watch.

Anyone who looks back at his last season (2003-04) and thinks we played wonderful football is re-writing history, though.

We became much more conservative after the 100-goal campaign, playing two holding midfielders - Burnell and Doherty - and were for the most part pretty average. We went on that remarkable 11-game winning run, which contained several late winners, but that aside we never came close to replicating what we'd done previously under him in terms of style.

He'd almost turned us into a bit of a grind-it-out team like the Wigan Athletic side that were so formidable under Paul Jewell. The Brighton play-off final wasn't as out-of-keeping with the rest of the season as some fans make out and, truthfully, it did feel like that group had reached the end.

Apologies for quoting my own post but, just to support this point, only four times all season did we score three or more in a league game in 2003-04.

... And then compare that to 17 times during the promotion campaign under Steve Cotterill!

9 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Apologies for quoting my own post but, just to support this point, only four times all season did we score three or more in a league game.

... And then compare that to 17 times during the promotion campaign under Steve Cotterill!

I’m no fan of Wilson, I think he is hugely overrated, he achieved nothing in his spell with us, despite 4 full seasons & more resources than most in the third division, despite what his fanboy says.

I think he decided that trying to outscore the opposition didn’t work so went for a far more defensive approach, which then didn’t work either & was tedious to watch.

Basically his 4 years were characterised by us bottling the big occasions & being a soft touch away, plus of course an abysmal drinking culture.

But if someone on here wants to seriously think that is better than GJ’s promotion season followed by a playoff final for the Prem with a 4th place finish (!), or Cotterill’s title winning 99 points with 6-0 away wins and 8-2 home ones, then knock yourself out, no matter how completely deluded you clearly are..

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

Danny Wilson is my favourite manager of the last 20 years. Played exciting and attractive football. It was a joy to go to AG. Pure entertainment. I looked forward to every game.

Sadly that entertainment dissolved after he was sacked and I’ve not experienced the same attacking and front foot football since.

Have to say that under Wilson, I always went to Ashton Gate expecting us to do well. Even if we were 2-0 down with 20 minutes to go, I was always confident we’d get something out of the game come full time. 

22 minutes ago, cityboy said:

Have to say that under Wilson, I always went to Ashton Gate expecting us to do well. Even if we were 2-0 down with 20 minutes to go, I was always confident we’d get something out of the game come full time. 

Yep, a lot of fans felt like that.

Sad that in the years since DW was sacked I haven’t had the same optimism when City have been  0-2 down at AG I hope City will recover but that’s not same as optimism and expectancy that I had under Wilson.

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Agree completely with this. We were very inconsistent in the 03/04 season, and as you said, if it wasn’t for that amazing winning run between December-February, we would have struggled to have finished in the top 6.

Archived