IGNORED

In Conversation with ....... Danny Wilson

headhunter

4 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

You may not agree with him, but if robbo says he feels that the wilson era was his favourite then whats the problem?

for me i can remember being a kid and watching people like walsh, taylor and jacki, the skys were a little bluer and summers a little hotter in those days... but we inevitably still ballsed things up. we are bristol city, thats what we do - ive been going for 35 years, seen a few decent seasons and a handful of very good players, but its mostly been poor players making a great living and not achieving much.

The problem is him saying other people’s view that differ are wrong and baseless.

He can be a complete effing idiotic troll at times, just like he is on the current NP thread.

Absolutely fine to have an opinion, absolutely fine for that to differ from others, absolutely fine to to explain why you have that view, absolutely fine to try to use reason to convince others to change their view.

But to say things (paraphrased) like “you couldn’t have watched DW’s team then” or the like is rude.  He knows he’s being provocative and attention seeking.

All a bit sad really.

22 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m no fan of Wilson, I think he is hugely overrated, he achieved nothing in his spell with us, despite 4 full seasons & more resources than most in the third division, despite what his fanboy says.

I think he decided that trying to outscore the opposition didn’t work so went for a far more defensive approach, which then didn’t work either & was tedious to watch.

Basically his 4 years were characterised by us bottling the big occasions & being a soft touch away, plus of course an abysmal drinking culture.

But if someone on here wants to seriously think that is better than GJ’s promotion season followed by a playoff final for the Prem with a 4th place finish (!), or Cotterill’s title winning 99 points with 6-0 away wins and 8-2 home ones, then knock yourself out, no matter how completely deluded you clearly are..

The gary johnson era was fun but it was mainly relief of actually getting out of the 3rd division for me.

Even in the playoff final season, it was frustrating at times, we should of come 2nd that season! The 2nd half of the season wasnt great and we bottled the end.

Then when the buzz and team spirit ended, the teams lack of quality showed and we decided to sack gary when we wernt even in a bad situation .. then the rest is history back to league1.

Then like i said ? again relief of getting out of league 1! We smashed it that year tho! The only problem being, my passion for bristol city or football in general wasnt as much as when i was younger. I guess the older you get the magic fades.. i had moved to chester and watched games mainly on sky.

I think the main point is with the danny wilson area we played great attacking football and we were always the big fish even tho we always bottled the end.

Im not going to lie there were dreadful games... (cardiff playoff semi, brighton final) but some of the best games i have ever been to were from that era! Mansfield when we were 4-2 down to win 5-4 with 3 mins left! Hartlepool 2nd leg! Lost my glasses twice and the thought the stadium was going to collapse :laugh:!

We always gave premiership teams great games too.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

The problem is him saying other people’s view that differ are wrong and baseless.

Can you give an example?

He can be a complete effing idiotic troll at times, just like he is on the current NP thread.

And there’s me thinking that I was making reasonable points on that thread......

Absolutely fine to have an opinion, absolutely fine for that to differ from others, absolutely fine to to explain why you have that view, absolutely fine to try to use reason to convince others to change their view.

Its extremely difficult to change anyone’s opinion, particularly on football. I don’t consciously try to persuade others of anything

But to say things (paraphrased) like “you couldn’t have watched DW’s team then” or the like is rude.  He knows he’s being provocative and attention seeking.

Hmmm....you’ve overlooked one important word Dave  - opinionated

All a bit sad really.

Thanks Dave..............:cool2:

This was an era I really enjoyed, I passed my driving test in October 2002 and started going regularly to away games shortly after. Plenty of ups and downs, but wonderful memories. We never seemed to get that bit of luck that would of helped us get promotion.

On 03/04/2021 at 21:18, prankerd said:

Danny wilson was the manager when i started getting into football and supporting Bristol city, so in my eyes theres always going to be a soft spot.

It seemed back then that the football was so much more fun and attacking, not just city, there was more passion from the players and the fans.

Now, probably because these players make so much money, the disconnect between fans and players is so much greater, most people dont feel that close to the clubs like they used to.

The best game i ever went to was the hartlepool semi final.

100% spot on fella. I feel exactly the same way.

Archived