IGNORED

Has Dean Holden made a statement?

REDOXO

On reading threads and listening to podcasts, particularly regarding future outside non SL investment in BS Bears and BCFC, it did occur to me I’ve not seen the normal League Managers Association press release post his departure.

Is there anything out there I’m missing!?

This is pretty abnormal. I can not help think that with the announcement that SL was/is looking for a partner/sale of some or all of BS BCFC and Bears that not only was Holden thought of as a punt, but also expendable. If he did well great if he didn’t who cared. The support in the transfer market when we needed it wasn’t there, particularly at LB and simply put financial decisions were being made in the light of Covid and a sale. Which would explain the non thanks for the chance of being the manager blah blah statement!

I was thinking about this the other day. 

Maybe, given the hardships he has had to endure during his life so far, the sacking has had a deleterious impact on his wellbeing and he’s loathed to invite any further scrutiny. And who could blame him. 

• Admin
50 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I get the impression he has taken it quite badly. A few people suggested he felt genuinely let down by the players. I suspect he never quite bridged the gap between matey coach and manager which would've made the failure harder to take. 

Very close to what has been said privately, there's others close to him that have spoken out

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

I'm not bothered by the fact, but you'd at least expect him to say thank you to the fans and staff for the times he enjoyed at AG, even if he didn't enjoy them. 

He had stick from majority of the fans from day 1 so not sure he would thank the fans.

4 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

He had stick from majority of the fans from day 1 so not sure he would thank the fans.

I think the fans, while not supportive of the appointment, were pretty supportive of him personally at the beginning in the circumstances?

I never felt it got overly toxic towards Holden, not when you compare it to the hatred some felt/feel towards the head coach he replaced.

He was obviously helped by fans not being allowed in, mind you!

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I think the fans, while not supportive of the appointment, were pretty supportive of him personally at the beginning in the circumstances?

I never felt it got overly toxic towards Holden, not when you compare it to the hatred some felt/feel towards the head coach he replaced.

He was obviously helped by fans not being allowed in, mind you!

The way it ended was toxic but not towards DH per se and he was looking a broken man with no idea how to get out of the pit he was in at the end. I think when he looks back he`ll see it was the right thing to have happened as it could have destroyed him in the end.

He`ll come back as a coach somewhere else and will look upon his time at City as a huge lesson.

8 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I really don’t think that is true. I think Ashton and Lansdown go stick but Holden nor really so much. 

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I get the impression he has taken it quite badly. A few people suggested he felt genuinely let down by the players. I suspect he never quite bridged the gap between matey coach and manager which would've made the failure harder to take. 

We all feel let down by the players

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

We all feel let down by the players

Players who let LJ down, DH down and now can’t be arsed for NP. Comes a time when you have to look at changing the players not the Manager, particularly when so many of them are out of contract. Yes, some of them will go elsewhere with the security of a new contract and start putting it in again. Good for them if they do but they’re no good to us. I certainly won’t be saying “should have kept them” if they do because as sure as night follows day they’ll revert to type in the end.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Players who let LJ down, DH down and now can’t be arsed for NP. Comes a time when you have to look at changing the players not the Manager, particularly when so many of them are out of contract. Yes, some of them will go elsewhere with the security of a new contract and start putting it in again. Good for them if they do but they’re no good to us. I certainly won’t be saying “should have kept them” if they do because as sure as night follows day they’ll revert to type in the end.

100%. I know it's a bit of a cliche, but they really are not fit to wear the shirt. It's highly regrettable how far we've fallen since 2017.

8 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

That's complete bullshit. While some like myself thought he was part of the problem the last few seasons, most were fully behind him and any anger was aimed at Ashton and Co.

Look, Dean was offered a job that in reality he was not qualified for. I don’t blame him for taking it but anyone who remotely understands the game knew it would end badly, and pretty soon.

I have zero animosity for him and I truly wish him well.

He was given an opportunity that was simply not right for him, I hope that he can come back from this and have a decent career.

28 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

That's complete bullshit. While some like myself thought he was part of the problem the last few seasons, most were fully behind him and any anger was aimed at Ashton and Co.

On some of the match day threads the abuse he received was quite personal.

If he had read those comments, I don’t for one second think that he would thank the fans.

I appreciate it was only a small minority, but they were totally out of order.

39 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

I would argue that your response above in complete bullshit!

4 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

On some of the match day threads the abuse he received was quite personal.

If he had read those comments, I don’t for one second think that he would thank the fans.

I appreciate it was only a small minority, but they were totally out of order.

It’s not right, and not saying he should have to suffer it, but that’s pretty much part of the territory as a league manager nowadays, isn’t it? He’ll have seen others get it, not least at City, and he’ll have expected it I’d imagine.

As I say, I think it’s out of order in any context, and maybe affects some people more than they expect. But he’d still be aware it’s a minority and acknowledge the majority?

59 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

??????

Typically, people leaving jobs are pragmatic. You say the right things, don't burn bridges and do your best to come across as well as can be.

So I'd expect most managers to rise above things and be positive, even if it goes against their immediate emotion. 

After so many weeks of silence it comes across as rather childish to say nothing at all, especially in a public-facing, high-profile profession. 

I personally feel that losing AW for the season had a bigger impact than many think. I think his work rate & energy was inspiring a few others to step up their efforts. I could be totally wrong buts that's my thoughts & then you end with up with a group mentality that can't be arsed to push themselves & thus bringing down management. 

1 hour ago, bpexile said:

I personally feel that losing AW for the season had a bigger impact than many think. I think his work rate & energy was inspiring a few others to step up their efforts. I could be totally wrong buts that's my thoughts & then you end with up with a group mentality that can't be arsed to push themselves & thus bringing down management. 

Followed a few weeks after by Pato.  The 352, 6 and two 8s fell apart.  Fair to say Weimann is a top pro who sets standards.  Big loss.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Followed a few weeks after by Pato.  The 352, 6 and two 8s fell apart.  Fair to say Weimann is a top pro who sets standards.  Big loss.

11 hours ago, bpexile said:

Also has a goal/assist average of better than 1 in 3...yet just called a ‘runner’ by most fans still 

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Also has a goal/assist average of better than 1 in 3...yet just called a ‘runner’ by most fans still 

Amazing how all these injured players suddenly become immeasurable better when they are out injured!

Archived