IGNORED

Am I the only one with doubts?

SecretSam

It's still far too early to have doubt in my opinion.

He's still got the same half fit squad Holden had, and has only been able to bring in Simpson.

There has been improvement in patches - some really solid performances. Massengo appears to be doing well under him - and more talented players blossoming is generally a good endorsement of the manager.

I won't be judging too much until next season. We aren't being thrashed every game, and it's clear from his comments he can see there's plenty to improve. We need to get behind him and the team and hope the board allow him to make the improvements we clearly need. 

He’s inherited an awful mismatch  of a squad with some players not good enough and others injured. It’s a problem that’s been slowly building over the last few years and it’s going to take a good clear out in the summer to start to improve results. SL has brought him in for the long term. Judge him at the end of next season 

Its the recruitment over the last 3 seasons that's the problem we have sold our best players and replaced them with bang average players The squad is totally unbalanced and needs addressing I'm sure given the time and money NP will get it right but its far to early to start slagging the guy off

4 minutes ago, westonred said:

Its the recruitment over the last 3 seasons that's the problem we have sold our best players and replaced them with bang average players The squad is totally unbalanced and needs addressing I'm sure given the time and money NP will get it right but its far to early to start slagging the guy off

It doesn’t have to equate to slagging him off. I will give him all the time and resources we can. And i had similar reservations when cotrerill was appointed and i was spectacularly proved wrong which i hope i am again. But saying i am not fully sold/convinced he is the greatest thing that could happen to our club is not slagging him off. 

5 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

It doesn’t have to equate to slagging him off. I will give him all the time and resources we can. And i had similar reservations when cotrerill was appointed and i was spectacularly proved wrong which i hope i am again. But saying i am not fully sold/convinced he is the greatest thing that could happen to our club is not slagging him off. 

No you can't please everyone but we have been crying out for an experienced Chamionship proven manager for years we now have one and still some people don't seem happy

The results haven’t been great, in fact at home they have been terrible.

However for me there are 2 points;

Firstly he has had no opportunity (bar Danny Simpson, a free agent) to bring in any players himself, so has inherited what I think is a mediocre, injury hit squad. He is also working with Holden’s (& some cases, LJ’s) coaching staff.

Secondly this time in charge is going to be totally wasted if we decided to look elsewhere (I don’t think we will, by the way) and so appoint a third manager/head coach in a year. No time to see players in games & made informed decisions on who stays & leaves.

We have to trust his track record, which was the main reason I was always completely opposed to Holden’s appointment.

I don’t know how he can be assessed correctly in any regard considering the amount of injuries, and those available to him, plus the apparent physical fragility of players. If he’d come in before the transfer window he may have been able to sanction different players. 
the apparent lack of desire and poor performances are worrying though. They probably are mentally exhausted.

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If we start having doubts every time we lose a few games then no manager will ever do enough to convince.

I had doubts from the start. Just looking through wikipedia almost every spell ends in a fall out and bad (ish) blood.

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If we start having doubts every time we lose a few games then no manager will ever do enough to convince.

I think a big factor is that there isn't a huge amount to discuss. No transfer speculation, people aren't physically going to games so I suspect not that many are actually watching (thus less discussion on performances). It's partly why the Danny Simpson debate became such a hot topic on here. Now the mood has shifted to questioning Pearson.

Just now, GTFABM said:

I had doubts from the start. Just looking through wikipedia almost every spell ends in a fall out and bad (ish) blood.

Isn't that true of most managers though?

Holden sounds like there was some issues, LJ is still discussed to this day (with some hoping Sunderland fail), Cotterill shouted at a fan and left under a cloud, O'Driscoll was really unpopular (stupid question).. I could go on. It usually goes wrong eventually - the hope is that the club can 'make hay whilst the sun shines'.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Isn't that true of most managers though?

Holden sounds like there was some issues, LJ is still discussed to this day (with some hoping Sunderland fail), Cotterill shouted at a fan and left under a cloud, O'Driscoll was really unpopular (stupid question).. I could go on. It usually goes wrong eventually - the hope is that the club can 'make hay whilst the sun shines'.

Yeah thats a good point. I want to be talked around and get excited by his potential appointment. Just i think he is more suited to a club where he can have full control and i just cannot see that happening here so can see another Derby happening

he is deffo the man to take us forward, his attitude is spot on he only wants players that give 110% for are club are badge and us fans. Many of the players have been stealing a wage for years and to be brutally honest many are a bunch of lightweight pansies which i got no doubt he we clear-out. We have always struggled against big hard physical sides and that needs to change, we are weak in a challenge and many players are not mentally strong or hard enough to represent are proud club. He knows what he wants we know what we want so i feel this could be a exciting summer with a new fresh side for next year which puts bride in that shirt.

I’d love to hear his true thoughts and that of the players come to that.

At the end of Holden’s reign we were all saying, get a Nigel Pearson type manager in, he won’t put up with how they’ve been playing, he’ll get the best out of them. 
The fact he hasn’t must be more worrying for the players than him I guess.

An interesting summer ahead.

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

...about Pearson...our results haven't been THAT great, and if it were a lesser manager...

No, I have doubts. I would have doubts with any appointment as nothing is a certainty.

Be under no illusion about the nature of the squad we had amassed under Johnson, Holden and Ashton and the mess we find ourselves in.

So the question is, if we have to undergo a hefty rebuild, who would you want to lead it? 

We’ve tried Johnson and Holden, we’ve finally gone for an experienced manger at this level and beyond.

I don’t know if it will work, but I want us to give it a go.

I wouldn’t read to much into the current results, we are a shambles and need sorting out.

...about Pearson...our results haven't been THAT great, and if it were a lesser manager...

The club is in a shambles on the pitch and has been for years. Complete mess for Nige to unpick. Will take time and don’t expect miracles next season. I will be happy with a mid table finish. 

No, you are not the only one. The initial buzz and gratitude that we aren't going to be lumbered with another with a football manager age of three weeks, has been tempered by actual happenings.

Rather than say that I have lost confidence in Nigel, it's just a realisation that he has a mammoth task in front of him to put right about four years of poor player recruitment and a pattern of negative playing style that is now permanently engraved in the minds of most of the squad.

Rome wasn't built in a day and we can just hope that it will not take a hundred or so years. 

So we must believe in Nigel Pearson to turn us around but it will not be today or next month. Keep the faith @SecretSam with all the rest of us.

Everyone has doubts. Where you see people on here insisting he "walks on water," that's only people trying to eradicate all and any doubt, so they can at least have a summer walking around with their heads inside a dream/cloud (before the reality of next season slaps them around the chops).

26 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Klopp and Guardiola both had average first seasons. Managers need time. To see a thread like this after a month or whatever it’s been is insane. 

But Nigel Pearson is nowhere near a Klopp or Guardiola level even in the championship. 

There seems to be this idea that Nige is some sort of master operator that has figured out everything wrong with the club and is definitely gonna put it right given time, but his history doesn’t suggest that at all. He’s had successes and he’s had failure, which many would suggest depend on whether he has Shakespeare working with him, which he won’t have here. 

There’s a lot of blame for the players now (which I partly agree with) but I think Nige himself will also be concerned with his own ability to get much of a performance out of them at the moment (particularly at home).  

Don’t get me wrong, whilst I wasn’t keen on his appointment I genuinely hope he does well and am happy to see him given time, but I don’t think it’s such a banker that if he stays it will all go swimmingly. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's still far too early to have doubt in my opinion.

He's still got the same half fit squad Holden had, and has only been able to bring in Simpson.

There has been improvement in patches - some really solid performances. Massengo appears to be doing well under him - and more talented players blossoming is generally a good endorsement of the manager.

I won't be judging too much until next season. We aren't being thrashed every game, and it's clear from his comments he can see there's plenty to improve. We need to get behind him and the team and hope the board allow him to make the improvements we clearly need. 

I hope he sees it as a project and stays a while as it normally takes a season to get things right and a season yeild those improvements.  A few games in and he will still be unpicking the mess he's inherited.  

Things he's picked up on so far. 

HNM and improved him. 

Injuries and that were not robust enough. 

The back lacks experience. 

Psychology of the team being collectively weak. 

52 minutes ago, GTFABM said:

Yeah thats a good point. I want to be talked around and get excited by his potential appointment. Just i think he is more suited to a club where he can have full control and i just cannot see that happening here so can see another Derby happening

We don't know what the order of management will be for Pearson. Maybe, and I don't have any factual knowledge of the past, Ashton was more involved because of LJ's inexperience of management at Championship level? In which case, Pearson is older and wiser so he would have more control of recruiting?

That is probably why there is a getting together period before he is confirmed? He has still to meet SL in person. Zoom is OK but not enough for each to really know each other.

You can't polish a turd. 

Never has a team so desparately needed a clearing out at City as is needed this Summer. Holden wasn't the man for the job, Pearson rightly has people more patient due to his experience in this. 

It's the same coaching staff that had us failing before too 

Archived