IGNORED

Am I the only one with doubts?

SecretSam

On 04/04/2021 at 08:33, SecretSam said:

...about Pearson...our results haven't been THAT great, and if it were a lesser manager...

How anyone can Judge Pearson after coming into this absolute car crash mid season without bringing a single employee of his choosing (bar Danny Simpson) is beggars belief to be honest. Judge Nigel on next season after he has had the much needed clear out this summer and had opportunity to bring in his own players and staff.
He will turn us around IMO and i have full confidence that he will but he obviously needs time and the resources, he isn’t a magician.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So you have posted twice this morning.

The bottom four average a point a game at best & have to play each other, so cannot both win.

You seem to think we are on course to lose every game we have left whilst the likes of Wednesday & Rotherham (who have 4 games in 8 days coming up) go on unprecedented winning runs.

It isn’t going to happen.

He revels in negativity for some reason - really odd mentality

On 04/04/2021 at 09:16, GTFABM said:

I had doubts from the start. Just looking through wikipedia almost every spell ends in a fall out and bad (ish) blood.

You can say that about nearly every single manager apart from the very top ones like Pep or Klopp or Fergie, even Jose ends up falling out but we’d all take him, name a proven manager we could realistically get who hasn’t ended jobs without getting sacked?  Won’t be many names

43 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So you have posted twice this morning.

The bottom four average a point a game at best & have to play each other, so cannot both win.

You seem to think we are on course to lose every game we have left whilst the likes of Wednesday & Rotherham (who have 4 games in 8 days coming up) go on unprecedented winning runs.

It isn’t going to happen.

Must you try and cheer everyone up?

I apologise for making the same point I've made several times elsewhere,  but the depleted state of our squad, the past their sell-by dates journeymen,  the constant injuries,  the failure to appoint a decent manager after sacking LJ,  this is all the responsibility of Mark Ashton.    He is the one you should have doubts about.  In fact,  the time for doubting is over.  Ashton is to blame for the state we're in and he is still  getting paid hundreds of thousands a year! 

As I said on the other post, he could really have set us up for 0-0s and got through to the end of the season.

He’s told us he knows there is good fight in this bunch, so he’s ticked that box.

So he knows he can resort to that if he wants.  But he wants to see other stuff, so it’s all a bit experimental as he preps for next season.  It’s a test and learn.  If it takes 7 defeats to get us ready for next season, so be it.  

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Good Easter morning to you all.

As our own carefree period of happiness & joy with Nigel appears in the main to be on the wane,the vast majority of us,opinion seems to suggest,still wish for Nige to be signed (or consigned!) for extended tenure...

As currently we're looking almost Holden'esque in our approach with a wonder where even the next 'net bulging moment (at the other end) will come, let alone the next point.

The question is how many of you would be supportive of retaining Nigel were we to complete this season without chalking even one (more) winning performance on the board???...

Hoping post Coventry this scenario is 'null & void!!

Yes, retain regardless. Getting rid of Managers every two months until impatient childlike people who have to get their way “now, now, now” are happy isn’t the answer right now. Binning OOC wasters is though.

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

You can say that about nearly every single manager apart from the very top ones like Pep or Klopp or Fergie, even Jose ends up falling out but we’d all take him, name a proven manager we could realistically get who hasn’t ended jobs without getting sacked?  Won’t be many names

Sorry but you can count me out of the “all” who would want Mourinho.

On 04/04/2021 at 09:07, westonred said:

No you can't please everyone but we have been crying out for an experienced Chamionship proven manager for years we now have one and still some people don't seem happy

With the way results have gone some disappointment is understandable which just goes to prove what a lot of us thought some if not a lot of the players we have are just not up to it, whether the currently injured players will make any difference we will have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What is 'reality' then? Speculating about every single game before the end of the season is hardly realistic. Highly unlikely actually. 

Exactly.  Mathematically, you can agree with Son of Fred.  Peterborough were relegated on 54 points in 2012/13 (yes, I have looked this up!  :laughcont:)  

But the circumstances around the clubs below and around Boro that year were different to those this season.

The combination of us not gaining any more points and multiple other teams' having unlikely winning streaks means relegation - as @GrahamC has said - is about as likely as Scotty M taking English nationality.

It is entirely possible we'll finish lower than 14th.  My gloomy prediction before the start of the season was 14-17th.  That was based on the quality of players we have at the club, not really on Holden, who at that time was something of an unknown factor.

On 04/04/2021 at 09:40, ralphindevon said:

I’d love to hear his true thoughts and that of the players come to that.

At the end of Holden’s reign we were all saying, get a Nigel Pearson type manager in, he won’t put up with how they’ve been playing, he’ll get the best out of them. 
The fact he hasn’t must be more worrying for the players than him I guess.

An interesting summer ahead.

Fact that they have stepped up is bad. For them. 

No more cushy rides, if they don't step up soon, I expect NP to a be absolutely ruthless if kept on. Be it playing staff, coaching, or fitness. 

I would imagine NP will want a pretty big wage. 

Personally I would get a director of football in and get a promising young head coach from abroad. 

Otherwise we are just going to continue of this cycle of having to have massive clear outs and starting from scratch every time we get a new manager. 

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Well,  do I have doubts? 

Massive ones. Definitely not right for us right now, played better under Millen... Yeah, that's pretty awful then

Who would you appoint?

Genuine question? The club is in as big a mess as it has been in the last 10 years.

All under the stewardship of the executive board.

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Genuinely, not sure. 

I mooted Wilder before he went Sheffield United, along time ago. 

Present day, the new hasn't worked too date, the untested didnt work. 

Reckon we're probably and genuinely best off looking abroad said that for a while tbh and a culture shake up may be better. 

Long gone are my days of looking through every managers win loss in leagues around the world and styles to find one. Last time  Icame up with the Sabadell manager iirc, some one like Lluis Careagues (sp?) mind that was a decade ago, and he's probably managing in China or something? 

The manager who wants to move from managing women's football may also be worth a go.  completely forgot her name. 

I suggested Hope Powell millions of years ago. 

We need to go different as Bristol is not like other UK cities. 

I still think Pearson is worth a decent stint over the summer and into next season.

But if doesn’t work, I’d be at a loss as to what comes next.

There's plenty of question marks over NP but at least he has a successful outcome in a reasonably similar situation on his CV, albeit alongside people he won't have here. I don't see many others with that experience available. The alternative is to take a chance on someone relatively unknown from abroad like happened with Farke, Ismael or Wagner.

Make no bones about it, from what I've seen it's a massive job to sort out. I've been surprised just how poor it is and I'd have expected Pearson to have got more of a grip of it by now. Imo from limited viewing and knowledge, next season is going to be about being comfortable in mid table whilst beginning a complete overhaul of squad and mentality. It's going to be painful. Much like Farke's first season at Norwich. 

12 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Genuinely, not sure. 

I mooted Wilder before he went Sheffield United, along time ago. 

Present day, the new hasn't worked too date, the untested didnt work. 

Reckon we're probably and genuinely best off looking abroad said that for a while tbh and a culture shake up may be better. 

Long gone are my days of looking through every managers win loss in leagues around the world and styles to find one. Last time  Icame up with the Sabadell manager iirc, some one like Lluis Careagues (sp?) mind that was a decade ago, and he's probably managing in China or something? 

The manager who wants to move from managing women's football may also be worth a go.  completely forgot her name. 

I suggested Hope Powell millions of years ago. 

We need to go different as Bristol is not like other UK cities. 

Brexit will be a factor with that now- Points systems etc have a role, plus for their Coaching Staff too.

On 04/04/2021 at 08:37, Phileas Fogg said:

It's still far too early to have doubt in my opinion.

He's still got the same half fit squad Holden had, and has only been able to bring in Simpson.

There has been improvement in patches - some really solid performances. Massengo appears to be doing well under him - and more talented players blossoming is generally a good endorsement of the manager.

I won't be judging too much until next season. We aren't being thrashed every game, and it's clear from his comments he can see there's plenty to improve. We need to get behind him and the team and hope the board allow him to make the improvements we clearly need. 

I was very pleased with NP's appointment and that hasn't changed yet.

But if we sacked Holden due to results and performances with a half fit squad I'm not sure this could be used as an excuse for the poor results under NP.

We are currently in no mans land. Not going up not going down but I would have thought the players would want to impress and that is a worry.

I think we (the fans) have to get behind NP and make it clear to the club that we want HIM to be able to start rebuilding the team. Which will take time. So we'll need to be patient. The alternative - that NP goes - will give the initiative back to the previous way of thinking. That, for me, would be a disaster.  

In the end, it is going to come down to an act of faith, or not.

However much I might want Pearson to stay for next season, the reality is the results do not justify it and - were Pearson a caretaker manager with no pedigree - the rational response would be that he has not done enough to warrant the long term deal.

Part of that is a misfortune of being on a short term contact. Gary Johnson obviously lost nine in a row when he took over and I remember some awful performances under Cotterll in his early days. Leyon Orient away particularly comes to mind. Both manages turned it around. 

I'd like Pearson to stay but that involves the board and fans trusting that his track record over the evidence before our eyes. I hope he stays but it is a leap of Faith to trust someone to deliver who has really not done so to date. 

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

In the end, it is going to come down to an act of faith, or not.

However much I might want Pearson to stay for next season, the reality is the results do not justify it and - were Pearson a caretaker manager with no pedigree - the rational response would be that he has not done enough to warrant the long term deal.

Part of that is a misfortune of being on a short term contact. Gary Johnson obviously lost nine in a row when he took over and I remember some awful performances under Cotterll in his early days. Leyon Orient away particularly comes to mind. Both manages turned it around. 

I'd like Pearson to stay but that involves the board and fans trusting that his track record over the evidence before our eyes. I hope he stays but it is a leap of Faith to trust someone to deliver who has really not done so to date. 

It is clear to all of us this 'injury plagued'  squad is simply NOT good enough...and you cannot lay that on NP door.  You cannot convert a donkey to a race horse. He must use this time between now and end of season wisely and he will learn more and more.  It will be even worse if it left to someone else mid summer.   No, NP is our option, and he said himself leaving decisions till summer is too late.  Planning must be starting now. 

Archived