8. Lansbury
  9. Walsh
  10. Paterson
  11. Adelakun
  12. Weimann
  13. Diedhiou

Sessegnon loan up.

Who stays?

Walsh for sure, Weimann if he will take a pay cut, Simpson depends on how he plays in remaining games. The rest get rid.

1 minute ago, Mr Chappers said:

So the problem under Holden was good players badly managed, but the problem under Pearson is that it’s poor players well managed, despite being the same squad of players?

So the problems at the club lie deeper than players or manager.  Something many otibers have been saying for a while

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If SL does not give Pearson a contract and a free hand that will be the final straw for me in his mismanagement of City.

Really bad days ahead, IMO, if Pearson goes.  Another incompetent yes man will be appointed and hey ho down the divisions we will go.

Patience please, Pearson will need to be interviewed 3 times over a 6 week period first!

Whatever decision Lansdown arrives at with NP, he needs to get over here quickly and sort it out. If as I hope he is signed permanently then he  can get on with planning to clear the dross and look to who we need to sign. If NP is not wanted by Lansdown or indeed does not want the job for whatever reason we need to know. And they need to get a new manager lined up asap. Or we risk Ashton and our 2 England rejects making all the decisions on who goes and who we sign. Or a spell when we are a rudderless club in limbo waiting for a new manager, which we know with SL's tried and tested method takes forever and produces the likes of Holden. We are really at a crossroads now and the wrong turn will lead to relegation next season. Whoever is managing the club next season needs a full preseason and transfer window as a minimum start.

the thing for me is the players proved they can play against boro and swansea.the saddest thing since then, bar are young players most have down tools and could not give a toss about us or are club,so to them players who know who they are and might read this forum,pick up your p45 and f//k off from our club.

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

If SL does not give Pearson a contract and a free hand that will be the final straw for me in his mismanagement of City.

Really bad days ahead, IMO, if Pearson goes.  Another incompetent yes man will be appointed and hey ho down the divisions we will go.

It won't matter who the manager is as the Board have been planning and wanting relegation to L1 according to you in the match day thread....

16 minutes ago, Olé said:

Nigel Pearson will be gone by next season, it's a matter of when not if for me. There is absolutely no way he and Steve Lansdown will be able to agree on the present prognosis and course of action for the club. That's not to say one view is right and I'm not picking sides, I can just see that for either to save face after this run in, the narrative is going to be wildly incompatible for the other to tolerate. 

• NP: The squad isn't good enough, it's a mess frankly, needs to be completely torn up and started again if you want to move forward
  • SL: Season on season progress, astute signings, club in development, Holden was a mistake but we also haven't pushed on since then

If you don't believe it, remember that SL famous loyalty is only proportional to contract and NP doesn't have one so he for once will be easy to dispense with much more quickly. And he will. Personally I'd give everyone out of contract in the summer a free transfer tomorrow. The contract deferrals (demotivating the squad as a weird carrot) was a mistake, but now some need letting go as a grenade.

I fear you may be right @Olé. SL’s perpetual rose tinted wing mirrors may cost us acquiring the one person we desperately need.

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

Walsh and Williams have been a complete waste of time tbf

They have both been injured almost all season, and I would not be surprised if that is not their fault by our hopeless medical team headed up by 2 Ashton appointments in Andy Rolls and the Head Physio whose name I forget.

1 minute ago, Mr Chappers said:

So the problem under Holden was good players badly managed, but the problem under Pearson is that it’s poor players well managed, despite being the same squad of players?

Seems to me that the wheels have completely fallen off the wagon. The Johnson, Holden, Ashton legacy has proved so shaky that Pearson simply can't put the cart back in shape. A complete rebuild is required.

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

Nigel Pearson will be gone by next season, it's a matter of when not if for me. There is absolutely no way he and Steve Lansdown will be able to agree on the present prognosis and course of action for the club. That's not to say one view is right and I'm not picking sides, I can just see that for either to save face after this run in, the narrative is going to be wildly incompatible for the other to tolerate. 

• NP: The squad isn't good enough, it's a mess frankly, needs to be completely torn up and started again if you want to move forward
  • SL: Season on season progress, astute signings, club in development, Holden was a mistake but we also haven't pushed on since then

If you don't believe it, remember that SL famous loyalty is only proportional to contract and NP doesn't have one so he for once will be easy to dispense with much more quickly. And he will. Personally I'd give everyone out of contract in the summer a free transfer tomorrow. The contract deferrals (demotivating the squad as a weird carrot) was a mistake, but now some need letting go as a grenade.

I'm starting to lean towards this thinking too, unfortunately. If Pearson had come in and got the team performing (even to a mid-table performance), i think SL would have been happy to see through his U-turn and give NP a longer contract.

However, to give NP a longer contract now, means SL has to admit not only was Holden a wrong choice, but also so was the recruitment for the last few years, and we know whose feet that fault falls at.

I did think NP would have got a better tune out of the current players than he already has, but I had a pretty low opinion of most of the squad before he came. I'm hoping SL takes a chance on NP next season; not only with a contract, but also following through on what NP sees wrong at the club, no matter how difficult those resulting decisions will be.

25 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Had an interesting chat with my son who doesn’t get down the Gate much as he plays in the Southern League Prem but has bought every game since his season ended months ago. His view is this problem goes a lot deeper than any Manager and can only be resolved by releasing players.

He told me if his team travelled 100 miles and put that first half performance in Nagy, Dave, Wells and, surprised me, Simpson would have got filled in at half time. Exact words.

What I do know is that a lad who is 100% City as you’ll meet has decided after that debacle today that he won’t be dipping his hand in his pocket any more. This group of Senior players represent some of the biggest frauds ever to play for the club.

What I do expect from NP, from now, is to look at that today and start bombing people out. It’s not about being nice to get performances any more because these bastards simply won’t give them. They let every single Manager down and it seems to me there are too many of you that give them a free pass. **** that.

Might not end up in fists being thrown, but I’ve been in dressing rooms where players have been left in no  doubt about their efforts.  NP has basically said that the players should not tolerate that from their teammates, I.e. self-police the levels / standards of performance.  Cotts squad did that through Wilbraham.  LJ’s didn’t hence the various “trust quotes”.

I would imagine NP has never taken charge of a bunch of players at this level lacking so much “personal motivation”.

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Walsh for sure, Weimann if he will take a pay cut, Simpson depends on how he plays in remaining games. The rest get rid.

NP likes what he sees of Walsh, but injuries may dictate.

This just gets worse by the week and if you look at the teams we still have to play, we could still be in fear of relegation!! Pearson is not the problem here and even he cannot polish a t***. Let's face it, this team is one great steaming pile of t***s!

The worrying thing is, if you read between the lines of Lansdowns podcast the other day, there is little money for summer transfers and NP is not even assured of being here. Let's face it, if you had to look forward to a whole season with these players, you wouldn't want the job next season anyway!!

I thought being an England supporter was excruciating enough but being a City fan beats that hands down!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Aging defenders, especially centre backs and high lines aren't usually a good mix. If Pearson wants a high line I wouldn't agree on Mariappa.

It'll come down to recruitment this summer but with Kalas, Vyner, Moore, Towler you need an experienced CB if Kalas goes down injured, if we recruit a 24/25 year old its probably better to keep someone like Mariappa around who also knows Pearson and what he expects even if its to have that presence around the training ground.

24 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

They have both been injured almost all season, and I would not be surprised if that is not their fault by our hopeless medical team headed up by 2 Ashton appointments in Andy Rolls and the Head Physio whose name I forget.

Yeah I agree that our backroom staff are appalling

10 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

What are you implying?

Observation and deduction. Only a full audit of the club, as I have argued for a number of years, will reveal the facts, ie where the problem(s) lie or whether everything is fine and it is the players and three managers alone who are at fault.

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It'll come down to recruitment this summer but with Kalas, Vyner, Moore, Towler you need an experienced CB if Kalas goes down injured, if we recruit a 24/25 year old its probably better to keep someone like Mariappa around who also knows Pearson and what he expects even if its to have that presence around the training ground.

Have around the club perhaps yes, but tactically aging CBs and high lines are pretty incompatible.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Have around the club perhaps yes, but tactically aging CBs and high lines are pretty incompatible.

Depends whether or not Pearson will look to implement a high back line or not, also could be useful in a 3 and situations of trying to see a game out

3 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Observation and deduction. Only a full audit of the club, as I have argued for a number of years, will reveal the facts, ie where the problem(s) lie or whether everything is fine and it is the players and three managers alone who are at fault.

Interesting point but I can't really see how it can be anyone's fault but the players and the manager

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The following are out of contract this summer- as per Transfermarkt:

1. Gilmartin
  2. Hunt
  3. Mariappa
  4. Baker
  5. Rowe
  6. Simpson
  7. Watkins
  8. Lansbury
  9. Walsh
  10. Paterson
  11. Adelakun
  12. Weimann
  13. Diedhiou

Sessegnon loan up.

Who stays?

if only there was a seperate thread or 2 to discuss 

3 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Personally, I would only keep Walsh, (maybe Wemann), even then, I can understand why people would disagree with me. 

Walsh is a good player. Can pick and execute a pass. Looks to go forward, has a quick brain and some pace. Weiman is an energetic, enthusiastic player who I think needs to play behind the front two where he can support those two and then work his balls off to get back in defence.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just interviewed on BBCRB:

Lacking personal motivation

Substandard application

I want a performance that is professional, I can accept mistakes

Not good enough full stop

Pearson in an earlier interview had praised Weimans work ethic from his time at Derby even though Weiman was injured a lot during his stint there. Pearson even though not the most gifted of players always played with passion and commitment and just expects the same from the players he now manages. 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The following are out of contract this summer- as per Transfermarkt:

1. Gilmartin
  2. Hunt
  3. Mariappa
  4. Baker
  5. Rowe
  6. Simpson
  7. Watkins
  8. Lansbury
  9. Walsh
  10. Paterson
  11. Adelakun
  12. Weimann
  13. Diedhiou

Sessegnon loan up.

Who stays?

Weimann,Paterson,Walsh and Maybe Rowe the rest can go .

Archived