IGNORED

Johnson , Ashton and Lansdown

daored

12 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Webster was identified by LJ “if you sell Flint, I want Webster”. 

LJ comes out of this shower of Sh*t looking ok as things stand IMO. 

ashton is firmly to blame for this squads contract status that’s his job. £500k a year and he’s sold off the family silver and replaced it with his vision. 

NP won’t stand for his interference- so SL has a decision to make. 

Ashton only carrying out the wishes and instructions of the fuhrer!

56 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Impossible to know, of course, whether anyone else could have done it. What you can say, in fairness to him, is that no-one else managed to before him. It’s something we had always been crap at.

His wheeling and dealing hasn’t only been around transfer fees either. Income from sponsorship, ground facilities, hospitality etc etc has all improved massively. Part down to the stadium of course, and again no way of knowing if anyone else would have done better or worse.

Truth, I guess, as with Johnson and SL too, is that they all have their good points and their less good. Ashton’s not the devil incarnate as he’s being painted by some at the moment.

But we’d never had that calibre of player before in such a sellers market. So there is still no frame of reference. 

52 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

If, as many now assert, that Ashton is the Chief Incompetent, and LJ was in fact, doing rather well in difficult circumstances - and the case to support this grows stronger by the week - then where does that leave Steve? 

If he should've been firing Ashton, where he instead fired LJ - and then appointed poor Deano, and then fired him out too - how ****ing clueless does that now make our beloved majority debt canceller? 

There are a few on here who’d suggest that they’d have liked to see LJ recruit on his own without Ashton.  I don’t have an issue with that per se, but I personally think they were both as bad as each other when it came to signing players.

Scattergun.

LJ said he used to pick the team like it was his daughter’s life....I don’t think he applied the same with recruitment.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Go back and have a look how we were winning those games. Some of our wins this season have been the biggest examples of daylight robbery ever seen on a football pitch. That last home win we had against Huddersfield was actually embarrassing to celebrate it was that one sided. In fact, I didn't celebrate it at all, the only time ever that I greeted a Bristol City win with no interest whatsoever. It was that bad. This is the problem - people only look at points and make a simple conclusion without any perspective whatsoever. Regardless of WHEN we got our points performances have been SHIT ALL SEASON LONG FROM START TO FINISH.

I would also add to this that a new manager who has much higher expectations of a player’s overall performance in all facets and is prepared to tell them they are not performing adequately without an arm around the shoulder and a bucket of sugar on top rarely gets an immediate response. Especially if said player has effectively been told they have been performing to an acceptable level for a considerable time prior to this.

As has been mentioned on another thread, the parallels between Gary Johnson’s appointment and initial few months in charge and Nigel Pearson’s so far has been remarkable.

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

If, as many now assert, that Ashton is the Chief Incompetent, and LJ was in fact, doing rather well in difficult circumstances - and the case to support this grows stronger by the week - then where does that leave Steve? 

If he should've been firing Ashton, where he instead fired LJ - and then appointed poor Deano, and then fired him out too - how ****ing clueless does that now make our beloved majority debt canceller? 

Well I think the majority of us know the answer to that.

Let's be honest, nearly quarter of a century of banging on about reaching the top flight and we're more likely to go down than up at the moment.

Getting things done off the field - He's built us a nice new stadium & a high performance (!) centre, thanks for that Mr L.

Getting things done on the field - He's about as much use as a glass cricket bat.

20 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Finally some on here are waking up to what has been going on at this shambles of a club.

Lets take a step back.

We appoint a total low cost option coach and it doesn't work out.

We appointment, for the first time in many years a coach that has a track record and proven ability, BUT we give him a temporary contract

Next SL tells us he can't confirm the long term future of NP until he meets him, but then says he hasn't got round to meeting him yet!!!

Then we learn that SL is looking for outside investment in the club as part of his "exit strategy" and because junior would rather swan around in Bermuda.

How can an investor come into BCFC when BCFC is so interwoven with Bristol Sport. What would he be investing in and would SL be the landlord?

Out of all of this mess Ashton is silent and seems to be Mr Teflon in terms of his future and his part in assembling such a bunch of losers.

So bearing all of this in mind, how likely do you think it is that NP will want to join this shambles

And, if the players have picked up that NP is not exactly been shown the red carpet by Ashton or SL is it any surprise that they don't appear to be playing for the coach.

I think they would have seen it all before and like us are heartily sick of it.

During the game yesterday I changed my mind about renewing my ST. I will wait until I see 

If Ashton is still there

If NP is still there

What players and coaches go or stay

What new players come in.

I think I will not be alone in this.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

But we’d never had that calibre of player before in such a sellers market. So there is still no frame of reference. 

Yes, for sure. I wasn’t really meaning value though, just the principle. That we have historically not managed to buy cheap (at least not since Terry Cooper days) and we never sold when we could get maximum return, when a player was at their peak. Thinking of the likes of Marvin Elliott, Nicky Maynard, who we could have sold for (then) large sums, but we resisted selling precisely because they were at the top of their game and we didn’t want to lose them, and ended up with peanuts.

39 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Yes, for sure. I wasn’t really meaning value though, just the principle. That we have historically not managed to buy cheap (at least not since Terry Cooper days) and we never sold when we could get maximum return, when a player was at their peak. Thinking of the likes of Marvin Elliott, Nicky Maynard, who we could have sold for (then) large sums, but we resisted selling precisely because they were at the top of their game and we didn’t want to lose them, and ended up with peanuts.

But we worked under a different model back then. The model since around 2014 had been ‘buy young, coach up, sell at profit’. 
I’d wager most CEO’s working under that remit would’ve been able to attract the same or similar fees for good players in a sellers market. Ashton ain’t all that. 

Just now, Harry said:

But we worked under a different model back then. The model since around 2014 had been ‘buy young, coach up, sell at profit’. 
I’d wager most CEO’s working under that remit would’ve been able to attract the same or similar fees for good players in a sellers market. Ashton ain’t all that. 

Under that strategy it’s pretty nigh on impossible to not record “transfer profit”.  But look at the cost of doing so.  Jeez.

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wasn’t aware we had a model back then ?

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Lets take a step back.

We appoint a total low cost option coach and it doesn't work out.

We appointment, for the first time in many years a coach that has a track record and proven ability, BUT we give him a temporary contract

Next SL tells us he can't confirm the long term future of NP until he meets him, but then says he hasn't got round to meeting him yet!!!

Then we learn that SL is looking for outside investment in the club as part of his "exit strategy" and because junior would rather swan around in Bermuda.

How can an investor come into BCFC when BCFC is so interwoven with Bristol Sport. What would he be investing in and would SL be the landlord?

Out of all of this mess Ashton is silent and seems to be Mr Teflon in terms of his future and his part in assembling such a bunch of losers.

So bearing all of this in mind, how likely do you think it is that NP will want to join this shambles

And, if the players have picked up that NP is not exactly been shown the red carpet by Ashton or SL is it any surprise that they don't appear to be playing for the coach.

I think they would have seen it all before and like us are heartily sick of it.

During the game yesterday I changed my mind about renewing my ST. I will wait until I see 

If Ashton is still there

If NP is still there

What players and coaches go or stay

What new players come in.

I think I will not be alone in this.

Your not the only one with that view Cavey. 
I’ve had a few conversations this weekend with a number of guys who are reconsidering their season ticket. And the bulk of it comes down to who’s gonna be in charge next season and if we’re going to continue buying old players who haven’t played for 3 years!! 

There are a lot of wavering fans out there. And believe me, the people who are wavering aren’t your run of the mill new build fans, these are long standing, live for City, fans. 
There’s a real tipping point here for Steve and City. Will be very interesting to see how this summer pans out. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Your not the only one with that view Cavey. 
I’ve had a few conversations this weekend with a number of guys who are reconsidering their season ticket. And the bulk of it comes down to who’s gonna be in charge next season and if we’re going to continue buying old players who haven’t played for 3 years!! 

There are a lot of wavering fans out there. And believe me, the people who are wavering aren’t your run of the mill new build fans, these are long standing, live for City, fans. 
There’s a real tipping point here for Steve and City. Will be very interesting to see how this summer pans out. 

You aren't wrong yet we know a bit of honest, straightforward talking and the right appointment would get these people renewing in the majority of cases.

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

We're wavering - tipping towards not renewing I'm sorry to say, and I wouldn't consider myself a fair-weather fan, I was at Stoke and Preston on the last occasions we could make the trip. We're thinking of going back to the Millen/McInnes/O'Driscoll years and paying on the day.

There's a risk for the club in losing the regular season ticket holders. Once it's POTD you don't feel obliged to go, or as motivated. The quality of entertainment becomes more of a motivator. I just checked SOD's time in charge...we watched just one game he managed.

Lansdown has to get a move on.

Archived