IGNORED

Tommy Rowe - worst bit of play EVER.

old_eastender

When you take into account that having pulled a goal back, Coventry were looking nervous and we had a chance of nicking an undeserved point. Also Rowe himself had moments before been waving City players forward. To receive the ball in space well in their half, with time to hit a FORWARD cross field pass, the loser mentality to pass backwards fully 60 yards to nobody so a Coventry player could pick it up, is probably the worst bit of individual play I can ever recall from a City player.

I think Rowe is ooc in the summer, I would not have him in the squad again after that. 

21 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

When you take into account that having pulled a goal back, Coventry were looking nervous and we had a chance of nicking an undeserved point. Also Rowe himself had moments before been waving City players forward. To receive the ball in space well in their half, with time to hit a FORWARD cross field pass, the loser mentality to pass backwards fully 60 yards to nobody so a Coventry player could pick it up, is probably the worst bit of individual play I can ever recall from a City player.

I think Rowe is ooc in the summer, I would not have him in the squad again after that. 

I for one can remember a quite exquisite own goal scored by Ray Atteveld at the Den. That’s up there with the worst bit of individual play.

It was  shocking pass by Rowe especially as we appeared to have a potential way back into the game we scarcely deserved. Pretty sure NP said in a recent interview he really liked working with TR so will be interesting to see what happens. 

Always seems to be an honest hardworking squad member who is probably a good influence on the many youngsters we have. I wouldn’t throw him under the proverbial bus on the basis of that shocking pass today. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

To be fair he needs some assists for the season.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Tomlin's launch into orbit from the penalty spot.

2 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

I for one can remember a quite exquisite own goal scored by Ray Atteveld at the Den. That’s up there with the worst bit of individual play.

You had to be there to appreciate what a great goal that was. However we won so it was almost airbrushed out of history. We had Cole Rossenior and the Chief up front that day. Our forwards looked like a temptations tribute band!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I do wonder if he had a “false shout” from an opposition player?  Couldn’t believe it when it went straight to a Cov player.

No it was just utter tripe. He had no where to go forward and no left back strangely. 

2 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Danny Baker, who was doing 606 back then, said clubs should play the Benny Hill theme over the tannoy when something like that happened.

It was bloody funny though!

I was surprised he was even in the squad after that abject performance at home to Stoke.

Let's face it, he is a League 1 player and was bought as a back up. All of his games accumulated with us are because of injuries to others. He is never going to push beyond Dasilva. I don't know anyone else who gets in the side by default. So and so is injured, so in he comes because he is left footed

He's a fullback with no pace so as a consequence rarely crosses the ball, often caught out with a ball over the top and doesn't tackle. You will rarely see him offer anything in attack. Always passing backwards and sideways. There is nothing dynamic with him.

Pretty much sums him up.

Jack Hunt on the other side is a little better. He can cross the ball and links up with the attack.

I am not one to criticise players or be negative as no one wins if you are negative but after that pathetic piece of football and not even able to pass the ball properly, a basic requirement for any footballer.

I hope we never see him in a Bristol City shirt again.

Thing is, we have done this for years.  Square pegs in round holes.  We had Wright at right back for a season, Rowe and Hunt are back ups at best, poster above sums it up, not dynamic enough.

I also think it is criminal that we have come in to this season with no true out and out wingers - arguably maybe Semenyo - but my word how I miss Elliasson.

1 hour ago, Lordofthebling said:

Thing is, we have done this for years.  Square pegs in round holes.  We had Wright at right back for a season, Rowe and Hunt are back ups at best, poster above sums it up, not dynamic enough.

I also think it is criminal that we have come in to this season with no true out and out wingers - arguably maybe Semenyo - but my word how I miss Elliasson.

Tbh, for a time he performed a very useful tactical role- his ability to play as a narrow RB and wide CB- put in real full backs or real wingers into that shape, or Diedhiou and the shape falls away:

Fielding

Wright Flint Baker Magnússon

Brownhill Smith Pack Bryan

Paterson

Reid

It's not that Wright and Magnússon were fantastic full backs, or the most natural but they performed a useful tactical role- narrowing the space, Bryan higher and Brownhill wide right also- Reid up front yet he can drop into CM.

11 hours ago, old_eastender said:

He isnt and never has been a Championship level footballer .....so not surprised he makes mistakes 

8 hours ago, Swede said:

I was surprised he was even in the squad after that abject performance at home to Stoke.

Let's face it, he is a League 1 player and was bought as a back up. All of his games accumulated with us are because of injuries to others. He is never going to push beyond Dasilva. I don't know anyone else who gets in the side by default. So and so is injured, so in he comes because he is left footed

He's a fullback with no pace so as a consequence rarely crosses the ball, often caught out with a ball over the top and doesn't tackle. You will rarely see him offer anything in attack. Always passing backwards and sideways. There is nothing dynamic with him.

Pretty much sums him up.

Jack Hunt on the other side is a little better. He can cross the ball and links up with the attack.

I am not one to criticise players or be negative as no one wins if you are negative but after that pathetic piece of football and not even able to pass the ball properly, a basic requirement for any footballer.

I hope we never see him in a Bristol City shirt again.

Agreed. I was really surprised to see Hunt banished totally, think we shot ourself in the foot there. I can only guess, and it’s a total guess, that Hunt hit back verbally when told a few things. But to start an unfit and out of form Rowe was the wrong decision.

Rowe did well for us last season when Dasilva was out.  He did ok for a while early this season.  But he’s been off form for a while either side of injuries.

He’s been a decent (define decent?) free transfer.  But he’s not what we need going forward.

I don’t think he needs slating for his time here....he stuffed up yesterday.  Let’s keep some context.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Rowe did well for us last season when Dasilva was out.  He did ok for a while early this season.  But he’s been off form for a while either side of injuries.

He’s been a decent (define decent?) free transfer.  But he’s not what we need going forward.

I don’t think he needs slating for his time here....he stuffed up yesterday.  Let’s keep some context.

Yep.

Usual suspects wanting a scapegoat. Paterson, Weimann and O'Dowda weren't there so there was a vacancy.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree, on the whole he has been good for us.

He made one very bad mistake yesterday but apart from that he's been pretty reliable, a solid squad player who has had to play a bit more than expected due to injury.

It was a terrible, terrible back pass, summed up our pantomime of a season. but he has been a decent signing and still worth an extension in my view. I get the contrary view of not signing players that are not good enough to take us forward, but a settled player, who is adaptable and professional is invaluable to any sqaud.

Just now, brady bunch said:

It was a terrible, terrible back pass, summed up our pantomime of a season. but he has been a decent signing and still worth an extension in my view. I get the contrary view of not signing players that are not good enough to take us forward, but a settled player, who is adaptable and professional is invaluable to any sqaud.

I thought he was trying to pass it to Massengo but got it horribly wrong!

Worst bit of play? Not sure, but that sort of pass has been a regular part of our struggle for a year or more. This season Bakinson has regularly done lazy passes to no one and several players have played in forwards against us, Mariappa did one earlier in the game and set up an attack for Cov. 
It seems lazy, almost going through the motions or not concentrating. You can forgive the younger players, Vyner seemed to have cut those mistakes out and improved concentration, but for the experienced Pro's to do it ??? Simpson, Mariappa and Rowe were at fault yesterday. You have to wonder if @Olé has a point and the older players, or the ones OOC soon have started coasting since the Ashton interview, reminding them they would be off in the summer. 

The carelessness was so frequent yesterday. Off the top of my head there was the Rowe back pass, Mariappa passing the ball to a Cov player in our half, Simpson's heavy touch x3, Massengo passing the ball out of play x2, Wells passing the ball to a defender, Sessegnon falling over in possession...and there was so much more. Pretty much everything Nagy tried went wrong. First 20 minutes Semenyo was just running into defenders. Vyner was all over the shop. Diedhiou looked like he wanted to be sent off... aghghghgh...

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

The carelessness was so frequent yesterday. Off the top of my head there was the Rowe back pass, Mariappa passing the ball to a Cov player in our half, Simpson's heavy touch x3, Massengo passing the ball out of play x2, Wells passing the ball to a defender, Sessegnon falling over in possession...and there was so much more. Pretty much everything Nagy tried went wrong. First 20 minutes Semenyo was just running into defenders. Vyner was all over the shop. Diedhiou looked like he wanted to be sent off... aghghghgh...

it was like watching a school game.   Totally embarrassing all round.    To think that some of those guys get paid more a week than some of us do in a year.

13 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Where would we be without Youtube

I was there, but from the other end you couldn't really appreciate the majesty of the technique. Sumptuous. Bergkamp level brilliance. How he moves like that and keeps a hawk eye on the ball is balletic poetry. Like a modern day T20 fielder in the deep, taking a towering skier out of the dark.

I like the polite and grateful applause of some rather mild looking home supporters. Don't remember appreciating that at the time, either. 

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Spot on.

Things are really poor but some are completely losing any perspective.

Rowe is on a third of what some of his team mates are on, yet puts their effort & abysmal availability records to shame.

It was a really bad mistake & there was no need to play that pass at all but reading some of these comments you’d think the bloke was Tony Dinning.

I think he’ll move on this summer but without trying very hard at all I can think of at least a dozen other players (some of whom have their little fan clubs on here) who have contributed far less for us this season, when they have actually managed to play.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

Things are really poor but some are completely losing any perspective.

Rowe is on a third of what some of his team mates are on, yet puts their effort & abysmal availability records to shame.

It was a really bad mistake & there was no need to play that pass at all but reading some of these comments you’d think the bloke was Tony Dinning.

I think he’ll move on this summer but without trying very hard at all I can think of at least a dozen other players (some of whom have their little fan clubs on here) who have contributed far less for us this season, when they have actually managed to play.

I think it's because he's made a blunder off the back of a poor performance on Friday.

You're right that he can't be judged on one week of football, but let's face it, he's not the future of this club and would have to be a spectacular influence behind the scenes to earn a contract. 

My preference is to let DaSilva and Pring battle for the spot next season, with Towler in the mix too.

That way our recruitment can focus on right back ×2, centre back ×2, striker, wide players and whatever else we still need...

Archived