IGNORED

Tommy Rowe - worst bit of play EVER.

old_eastender

Just now, mozo said:

I think it's because he's made a blunder off the back of a poor performance on Friday.

You're right that he can't be judged on one week of football, but let's face it, he's not the future of this club and would have to be a spectacular influence behind the scenes to earn a contract. 

My preference is to let DaSilva and Pring battle for the spot next season, with Fowler in the mix too.

That way our recruitment can focus on right back ×2, centre back ×2, striker, wide players and whatever else we still need...

Agree.

However let’s talk about Dasilva, 8 starts this season, just 22 last, so he’s managed a dismal 30 starts out of the last 92, assuming that he doesn’t play again this season.

Pring was second choice for the vast majority of his loan spell at Pompey, he made just 6 league one starts, he’s also 24 during next season.

That is a real leap of faith, a historically injury prone player & an unproven one.

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Agree.

However let’s talk about Dasilva, 8 starts this season, just 22 last, so he’s managed a dismal 30 starts out of the last 92, assuming that he doesn’t play again this season.

Pring was second choice for the vast majority of his loan spell at Pompey, he made just 6 league one starts, he’s also 24 during next season.

That is a real leap of faith, a historically injury prone player & an unproven one.

Yeah, fair comment, but it's complicated due to DaSilva understandably being 1st choice.

He's a good age and a high performer. So if we buy a new LB we could potentially have another Cunningham/Bryan situation, which may or may not be a good thing.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on.

Things are really poor but some are completely losing any perspective.

Rowe is on a third of what some of his team mates are on, yet puts their effort & abysmal availability records to shame.

It was a really bad mistake & there was no need to play that pass at all but reading some of these comments you’d think the bloke was Tony Dinning.

I think he’ll move on this summer but without trying very hard at all I can think of at least a dozen other players (some of whom have their little fan clubs on here) who have contributed far less for us this season, when they have actually managed to play.

Spot on!

could not say it better myself..... Rowe has worn the shirt with pride and given everything. Probably not going to get promoted with him, but I would still have him on the team sheet, well ahead of many of our preening, overpaid "superstars".....

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Agree.

Pring (23) is older than Dasilva too (3 months younger), not played at this level either.  Nurse is a year younger than Dasilva.

I think TR will play the majority of minutes left in the season. I’m not arguing that he doesn’t have limitations or was horribly at fault for the third goal, but it was noticeable that he was desperately trying to inject some urgency into our play. He may not be here next year, but I for one will thank him for his efforts and wish him well.

If he is retained, I would not be unhappy as at least he has the desire and character needed and he would be a positive influence in the squad.

I think he has been a good signing and has generally filled in competently at left back. Many of the comments in this thread, although written in frustration, are unfair IMHO.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pring (23) is older than Dasilva too (3 months younger), not played at this level either.  Nurse is a year younger than Dasilva.

I'm not too worried about that so long as we (NP at al) feel that he's good enough to deputise. 

If we don't trust Pring, we have to sell him. Maybe the same goes for Nurse too.

Don’t disagree @mozo....we are all bound by what NP decides.

Jist like I can’t go all-in on Liam Walsh until I see him play several games, I can’t get over-excited about a 23 year old LB who was in and out at Portsmouth.  He’s a bomber of a LB, but based on Lg2 views and the odd Pompey match.  The champ as we know is a different kettle of fish.

I would be nice to go into the summer think LB is sorted though.

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t disagree @mozo....we are all bound by what NP decides.

Jist like I can’t go all-in on Liam Walsh until I see him play several games, I can’t get over-excited about a 23 year old LB who was in and out at Portsmouth.  He’s a bomber of a LB, but based on Lg2 views and the odd Pompey match.  The champ as we know is a different kettle of fish.

I would be nice to go into the summer think LB is sorted though.

Yeah true. At least we go into the summer with one trusted left back and a few young contenders, whereas on the right side we have...Literally nothing.

21 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

I for one can remember a quite exquisite own goal scored by Ray Atteveld at the Den. That’s up there with the worst bit of individual play.

It must have been something about being dutch Clemens Zwijnenberg had a dreadful loan at City back then.  **Edit** in case you wonder how you remember people like this I couldn't say his name then, still learning it now.

55 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

shoot me down, but I don't think DaSilva is good enough for a left back role in a 4 man defence. As a wing back at this level maybe, but not as a defensive key player. His injury record is also of huge concern. I cannot imagine putting his name against the main left back position as the prime player. The youth players are unproven. Not seen them play so would not comment on their ability to step up, but they are not teenagers either so should be showing strong signs by now to be Championship players or let go.

Personally I think he’s better at LB than LWB.  He understands / appreciates better passing angles from LB.

18 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I am not convinced defensively. a few games he has been ripped apart. He's not Rico Henry . In a back 4 he will need to be better , much much better defensively. Can get away with it when there are 3 CB with cover.  But you cannot judge this season as, yet again, he has been injured. You cannot go into a full season with him. We will need a serious LB signing. 

The QPR game, Oseyi-Samuel tore him apart was the game that after they then found he was playing with a fractured shin.

I don’t remember any of that magnitude.  Tough games, a bit below par games?  Yes.  Games where he’s been woefully exposed by the player in front of him?  Maybe.

But I think he’s always given a decent account of himself defensively and key to us moving the ball up the pitch in possession.

That was just one man’s complete brain fade. Shocking for a professional admittedly.

I think the first goal was far worse. It was absolute garbage defending. Total under-5s stuff. A comedy of errors that truly befits the ‘Benny Hill Championship Moment of the Year Award 2020/21’.

Going back to Rowe. The thing about that backpass was not that he got it wrong, it was that he thought it would be ok to play it anyway. Who instills this "play it backwards" mentality into our players, especially when chasing the game in the latter stages. we have ended up with the ball to Bentley from our own corners this season, and from free kicks in the opposition half. Its utter madness and negative in the extreme.

15 minutes ago, marmite said:

Going back to Rowe. The thing about that backpass was not that he got it wrong, it was that he thought it would be ok to play it anyway. Who instills this "play it backwards" mentality into our players, especially when chasing the game in the latter stages. we have ended up with the ball to Bentley from our own corners this season, and from free kicks in the opposition half. Its utter madness and negative in the extreme.

@marmite

Johnson and continued by Holden.

4 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

"Worst bit of (City) play ever"

One of my favouriters has to be the David James classic backwards punch into his own net, at AG vs Watford, or am I getting the match wrong?

You know what, David James would have fit nicely into our current side! 

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Rowe did well for us last season when Dasilva was out.  He did ok for a while early this season.  But he’s been off form for a while either side of injuries.

He’s been a decent (define decent?) free transfer.  But he’s not what we need going forward.

I don’t think he needs slating for his time here....he stuffed up yesterday.  Let’s keep some context.

To put it another way, if some of his team-mates showed the same application/got as much out of themselves as Rowe would we be in this position? I doubt it.

A very good pro who very rarely let’s us down - as I say, unlike a few!

Fair enough criticising the error, but anyone having a go at the player more broadly should probably be venting their ire elsewhere.

20 hours ago, mozo said:

I think it's because he's made a blunder off the back of a poor performance on Friday.

You're right that he can't be judged on one week of football, but let's face it, he's not the future of this club and would have to be a spectacular influence behind the scenes to earn a contract. 

My preference is to let DaSilva and Pring battle for the spot next season, with Towler in the mix too.

That way our recruitment can focus on right back ×2, centre back ×2, striker, wide players and whatever else we still need...

And a whole new midfield preferably a playmaker chucked in... 

13 hours ago, Steve The Red said:

Didn't Glenn Humphries net an own goal away at Rotherham back in the late 80's early 90's...may have even been on his debut? 

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was his debut and it was really early in the game too. Cue lots of City in the away end facepalming!

Didn’t Aden Flint have a stinker in his first game away to Port Vale?

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Didn’t Aden Flint have a stinker in his first game away to Port Vale?

Flint’s debut was the opening game of the season, a 2-2 draw at home to Bradford.

The Port Vale error came about 10 games into the season, a back pass in the 90th minute that resulted in a 1-1 draw.

SOD dropped Flint pretty soon afterwards, he got back in soon after but his City career only really took off when he was managed by someone who truly believed in him & worked with him extensively on the training ground to significantly improve his game.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Flint’s debut was the opening game of the season, a 2-2 draw at home to Bradford.

The Port Vale error came about 10 games into the season, a back pass in the 90th minute that resulted in a 1-1 draw.

SOD dropped Flint pretty soon afterwards, he got back in soon after but his City career only really took off when he was managed by someone who truly believed in him & worked with him extensively on the training ground to significantly improve his game.

I knew it was on debut or very early in his City career, but didn’t realise it was 10 games in.

SO’D, of course, didn’t consider AF worthy of the fee we paid Swindon and, as you say, it was only when SC took charge that he seemed to develop some confidence.

59 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I knew it was on debut or very early in his City career, but didn’t realise it was 10 games in.

SO’D, of course, didn’t consider AF worthy of the fee we paid Swindon and, as you say, it was only when SC took charge that he seemed to develop some confidence.

I’m not sure SOD didn’t think Flint was worth c£300k, more that it was more of his budget than he ideally wanted to spend.

Archived