IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

7 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I feel as the season goes on the size of the rebuild job jobs looks bigger and bigger game by game. 

OK we have a manager with the ability to take that on. But does he seem less  inclined to take it on. And will SL be willing to fund it? 

I think the Owner needs to show the same passion as NP for what needs to be done otherwise he’s the type of bloke who will just walk. Unfortunately comments like “I’ll get over and speak to him face to face in a few weeks” doesn’t exactly indicate that.........not to me anyway.

17 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Do we read anything re his future with us from the line “today made my mind up about a number off things”?  Sure hope not. 

He said we need to work on stuff in the short term and the long term... i was guessing that's him staying? 

Great interview tho! These players have been coasting for so long! With us eventually every year getting rid of the better players, the leaders and the spine of the team, we are just left with the crap no1 wants :laugh:

Run out of likes so apologies to DaveFevs and others whose posts I like.

Pearson looks/sounds as angry and disappointed as the rest of us. He clearly sees there is no point in trying to defend the indefensible, and come up with feeble excuses like Johnson and Holden did.

He looked like a man who is thinking hard to contain his anger and words.

If he stays, he'll be a man on a mission, with no hiding places, no space for the faint-hearted and slackers, and no time for excuses. Exactly what we long-suffering fans expect of him.

A ranting, enraged Pearson would have Attila the Hun quivering in his boots.

31 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Very good.

No holding back

Said what many of us would have said

interesting comment about not caring what their personal problems are.

He is spot on, we have players who don’t care.

He also said it had helped make his mind up over a number of things, ie not just who stays and who goes I take it from that

Nige, please stay. You are our hope, in you many of us believe

Top post Ivor - You speak for most of us I reckon.

Nige has inherited a a poor bunch of players but is definitely the man to sort this mess out. 

For the first time in many years I’d be very pissed off if Nige isn’t our manager next season.

It’s concerning that this squad is so poor that we don’t even get a new manager effect, bringing in someone like Pearson.. (although did get one with Holden) The rebuild job here is massive, 11-12 OOC potentially leaving, several others needing to go... is this job what he expected ? Is it more than he wants to take on, specially having to work with Ashton to get players in. How many windows will it take to get in 10-15 players that HE wants. Hell of a mission if he’s up for it.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think the Owner needs to show the same passion as NP for what needs to be done otherwise he’s the type of bloke who will just walk. Unfortunately comments like “I’ll get over and speak to him face to face in a few weeks” doesn’t exactly indicate that.........not to me anyway.

How hard is it in this day and age to not have a zoom chat ffs!

What was the context of lansdowns words? Was this an interview?

I have never in the 65 years i have been supporting the club heard a manager speak like that about the first team. He feels how we feel. He has had enough of a large number of players. He does not care who he upsets. I for one will be very happy if he goes route one for the last six games and we pick up the points to stay up. Yes he said we still could go down. So those of you that think we only need to get to 50 points,, you need to re think. I really hope Nigel stays and gets rid of a lot of the backroom staff and coaches. Along with 50% of the first team squad. Nigel a brilliant interview even if it was hard to listen to for some fans and 50% of the players that played today.

16 minutes ago, Malago said:

It was a wretched performance all round, but what really upset me was that pass from Tommy Rowe, someone I believed to be a model pro, a pass that for me said “I couldn’t care less”.  Perhaps Rowe’sbeen told he’s on his way.  I don’t know.  All I can suggest is that for the last 6 games the manager only picks the players are that going to be here next season.

Flat back two? ?

16 minutes ago, Malago said:

It was a wretched performance all round, but what really upset me was that pass from Tommy Rowe, someone I believed to be a model pro, a pass that for me said “I couldn’t care less”.  Perhaps Rowe’sbeen told he’s on his way.  I don’t know.  All I can suggest is that for the last 6 games the manager only picks the players are that going to be here next season.

Sadly it sounds like there’s too many who won’t be here and he can’t field a team if he left them all out, hence the “tombola” selection that many called out in the match thread.

Ive got genuine concerns from that interview that Pearson won’t be here next season. 

There’s something seriously wrong going on at this club, I’m surprised none of our “in the know” posters haven’t caught wind of anything?

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

Who was he refering too when he spoke about not caring about players personal circumstances?

Probably the vast swathes of OOC players who I’d imagine are sulking with an attitude of ‘’why should i try and put in 100% for a club i’ll likely not be playing for next season’’.
Absolute wasters the lot of them and in particular Fam, i hope he never wears a Bristol City shirt again.

Sadly I think he has decided not to stay for all the reasons already quoted. Premier league teams at the listeners end would be keen to employ him, why would be want to stay at a club with so many problems to resolve. SL seems in no hurry to offer up what is needed. Easy to say he has to meet him in person first, I think the reality is he was/is a temporary measure only.

21 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

To be honest, I don't blame him if he does decide to walk away at the end of the season. He could get a job elsewhere pretty easily and like said above, the size of the rebuild and challenge ahead could be beyond our budget next season and may not appeal to him. 

Still pleased most of this lot are off though. Rather play the under 18s than this lot.

There are quite a few clubs without managers at the moment, that’s my worry. Hard to reason why he would want to stay here unless he really has free reign and a substantial financial package both for the team rebuild and personally. There are more attractive jobs out there for him. 

So,say he bails. How attractive would we look to anyone else, I shudder at the prospect. I really do not want to see our two assistants take over, or anyone similar.

Nigel was refreshingly honest in his interview, probably too honest for SteveL, MarkA etc but it had to be said. Sheffield W will be interesting.

It's a good interview. He's much better in these post and pre matech interviews than the press conferences in the lead up to a game.

On the guys OOC. Is it in any way understandable that they're going through the motions if they've been unable to agree a contract with the club and know they're off in a month's time? In my experience in work, once people know they're leaving and are in a notice period they down tools. The reason to invest effort has gone. 

Now most businesses have the luxury of paying a contract off or putting someone on gardening leave to avoid that impacting the team. In another example of the strangeness of football, we don't so this with players. Managers yes, but not players.

Whilst it may be infuriating to watch, I can see a human reason for the lack of effort and self-motivation.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a good interview. He's much better in these post and pre matech interviews than the press conferences in the lead up to a game.

On the guys OOC. Is it in any way understandable that they're going through the motions if they've been unable to agree a contract with the club and know they're off in a month's time? In my experience in work, once people know they're leaving and are in a notice period they down tools. The reason to invest effort has gone. 

Now most businesses have the luxury of paying a contract off or putting someone on gardening leave to avoid that impacting the team. In another example of the strangeness of football, we don't so this with players. Managers yes, but not players.

Whilst it may be infuriating to watch, I can see a human reason for the lack of effort and self-motivation.

I think sadly you are right. None of the OOC players give two ***** about this football club, we are an employer to them and quite frankly that is all we are.
How we have ended up in a situation with so many players OOC at the same time is a question that lays at the door of Ashton and co, another royal **** up.

Maybe we need to tell a couple of players to collect their stuff and  not turn up for training. Stay at home, good luck for the future.

See if that maybe makes at least a few people out in a little effort, as who wants to offer a contract to someone who the previous club would rather they stayed at home than play / train with the first team... It shows a big chara6 flaw and will impact their ability to get other offers.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we were to announce NP after this. Something has to be done and put in place permanently for a bit of reassurance and continuity.

It seems that Pearson has made his mind up on a few things, let him get to it.

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

I think sadly you are right. None of the OOC players give two ***** about this football club, we are an employer to them and quite frankly that is all we are.
How we have ended up in a situation with so many players OOC at the same time is a question that lays at the door of Ashton and co, another royal **** up.

I agree, mismanagement of contracts is a big issue, all these one year options that mean you get a big ? over when a contract - and the motivation it provides - truly ends.

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Maybe we need to tell a couple of players to collect their stuff and  not turn up for training. Stay at home, good luck for the future.

Gardening leave. It's what other industries do to remove unmotivated, soon-leaving, team members from the active workplace.

17 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Run out of likes so apologies to DaveFevs and others whose posts I like.

Pearson looks/sounds as angry and disappointed as the rest of us. He clearly sees there is no point in trying to defend the indefensible, and come up with feeble excuses like Johnson and Holden did.

He looked like a man who is thinking hard to contain his anger and words.

If he stays, he'll be a man on a mission, with no hiding places, no space for the faint-hearted and slackers, and no time for excuses. Exactly what we long-suffering fans expect of him.

A ranting, enraged Pearson would have Attila the Hun quivering in his boots.

I think he must be angry with himself as well, as he probably sets high standards and would have expected that he could start to produce better performances. 

18 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

The attraction of players will be easy with nige at the helm. A decent ground and great facilities.  

Couldn't agree less, sorry. We've always so say had a decentish manager, decent facilities etc etc and we were knocking on play offs at the time, still you could count the number of quality players we've attracted to City on one hand, that from 50 plus transfers I believe. 

Pearson will piss off as many players as he may attract, we still have a very nice ground and currently we are a team going backwards. 

I really hope you are right though, I want things to work out as much as you do ?

32 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I hope youre wrong. He said something like he'd "made his mind up on a number of issues" but get every impression that the ooc players this summer who are showing zero application will not play again. 

I also hope I’m wrong! 

21 minutes ago, prankerd said:

He said we need to work on stuff in the short term and the long term... i was guessing that's him staying? 

Great interview tho! These players have been coasting for so long! With us eventually every year getting rid of the better players, the leaders and the spine of the team, we are just left with the crap no1 wants :laugh:

Bang on. Some on here agree with this “strategy” but it is a recipe for disaster.

3 minutes ago, RedM said:

There are quite a few clubs without managers at the moment, that’s my worry. Hard to reason why he would want to stay here unless he really has free reign and a substantial financial package both for the team rebuild and personally. There are more attractive jobs out there for him. 

So,say he bails. How attractive would we look to anyone else, I shudder at the prospect. I really do not want to see our two assistants take over, or anyone similar.

Nigel was refreshingly honest in his interview, probably too honest for SteveL, MarkA etc but it had to be said. Sheffield W will be interesting.

I completely agree. It's worrying isn't it.  I'm not convinced the rebuild ends with the playing squad either.  The coaching team and fitness/physio team needs rebuilding too which is also going to cost money.  Landsdown will only be able to invest so much and I don't know that we'll be able to do it all.  

Also, with the Landsdown stories of looking for new investment, does this also raise questions for Nigel about stability and how much money will be available? 

There will be other clubs looking for managers that whilst will be in a mess also, will probably far more attractive to him.  

Such bizzare, strange and frustrating times to be a City fan.

We’ve always been an easy club in terms of players coming here, being paid a decent amount and not really having to perform to justify their salary.

I think NP has come to realise this. It’s a pretty damning assessment by him IMO. I genuinely believe he’s the man to take us forward but I think it will take a lot longer than what some of us might have anticipated.

7 minutes ago, bris red said:

It's not that uncommon tbh, especially in this a Covid impacted season.

The Summer will be very interesting...

Archived