IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

So in that line up today, only 4 of the 11 who started are OOC at the end of the season. 

Simpson & Mariappa must be hoping for new contracts next season, they’ve both played under him before & I can’t see either downing tools right now. Simpson especially. 

Fam hasn’t looked interested for a while and that’s disappointing because I didn’t think he was that sort of player.

Sessegnon will be going back to Fulham. 

Its too simplistic to blame our performances on having too many ooc at once, a lot of them have hardly played for us recently. 

A number of posters on here thought we had serious structural issues within the Club for years, me included.

The culture of the Club from top to bottom is wrong, we’re far too nice, far too accepting of mediocracy and being good losers. Our lack of ability to find 11 players to build a team, let alone a team of winners over 5 years and with £millions spent, with the added benefit of a well-funded Academy, is frightening. 

Truly shocking how the rot has been allowed to develop and spread post Cotts.

Time to walk Ashton and take your medical, fitness, coaching guru’s with you together with the lame excuses for professional footballers you have lumbered us with. Shambolic. 

Pretty sure when Joe and Bobby do their autobiographies we will find out what has gone on behind the scenes to result in such a toxic situation. 

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Who was he refering too when he spoke about not caring about players personal circumstances?

Was that the comment that he finished with something along the lines of “the club is in a fragile position too”.

I thought today might the reaction.  I don’t think he could’ve picked a stronger team.  We all have our preferences of player x over player y, but it was pretty much as strong as possible with perhaps Palmer rested having played a lot.  He was severely let down today.

33 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

I love that we finally have a bloke who seems just as pissed off as I am when we lose & will certainly let the players know when it’s unacceptable.

I don’t think we’ll be seeing a couple of those who played today, again this season. 

I also noticed his comments about Lansbury getting stick, wonder if he reads the forum?

I missed that about Lansbury.  What was said?  BCFC, BBCRB or Gregor interview?

26 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

Thanks - disappointed to read Nagy's name in there as I've always thought he'd turn into a real player for us. He'll be gone in the summer I'm guessing now though.

Got to find someone to take him yet.  I was embarrassed to watch him today.  He is not a NP player for sure.

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a good interview. He's much better in these post and pre matech interviews than the press conferences in the lead up to a game.

On the guys OOC. Is it in any way understandable that they're going through the motions if they've been unable to agree a contract with the club and know they're off in a month's time? In my experience in work, once people know they're leaving and are in a notice period they down tools. The reason to invest effort has gone. 

Now most businesses have the luxury of paying a contract off or putting someone on gardening leave to avoid that impacting the team. In another example of the strangeness of football, we don't so this with players. Managers yes, but not players.

Whilst it may be infuriating to watch, I can see a human reason for the lack of effort and self-motivation.

Yep, but you should never (generalisation) let a player get into his final year, let alone last 2 months.  You either re-contract well ahead or you get rid.  Peterborough in effect transfer list anyone who won’t sign a deal when they get 12 months out.  As you say, natural that players down tools.

I said with Fam he’d down tools.  He hasn’t just downed tools, he’s taken off his tool belt, and given his toolbox to the local care and repair charity in Knowle West!!  Who’d have guessed?

Cluster#### of mid-management by the CEO / Owner in terms of Covid strategy re contracts.  Massive blame should be aimed at them, not just the players.

18 minutes ago, prankerd said:

How hard is it in this day and age to not have a zoom chat ffs!

What was the context of lansdowns words? Was this an interview?

They have had numerous zoom chats FFS!!!

Would you employ someone long term if you have never met them?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Was that the comment that he finished with something along the lines of “the club is in a fragile position too”.

I thought today might the reaction.  I don’t think he could’ve picked a stronger team.  We all have our preferences of player x over player y, but it was pretty much as strong as possible with perhaps Palmer rested having played a lot.  He was severely let down today.

I missed that about Lansbury.  What was said?  BCFC, BBCRB or Gregor interview?

Got to find someone to take him yet.  I was embarrassed to watch him today.  He is not a NP player for sure.

Yep, but you should never (generalisation) let a player get into his final year, let alone last 2 months.  You either re-contract well ahead or you get rid.  Peterborough in effect transfer list anyone who won’t sign a deal when they get 12 months out.  As you say, natural that players down tools.

I said with Fam he’d down tools.  He hasn’t just downed tools, he’s taken off his tool belt, and given his toolbox to the local care and repair charity in Knowle West!!  Who’d have guessed?

Cluster#### of mid-management by the CEO / Owner in terms of Covid strategy re contracts.  Massive blame should be aimed at them, not just the players.

Lansbury quote was on the official BCFC interview @Davefevs

3 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Couldn't agree less, sorry. We've always so say had a decentish manager, decent facilities etc etc and we were knocking on play offs at the time, still you could count the number of quality players we've attracted to City on one hand, that from 50 plus transfers I believe. 

Pearson will piss off as many players as he may attract, we still have a very nice ground and currently we are a team going backwards. 

I really hope you are right though, I want things to work out as much as you do ?

The difference is, he is a decent manager who has done good things in the game. People that have played under him will tell you that. 

This lot just aint up for it. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Agreed. Do you know how many of these current ooc lads are in the final year due to the activation of the one year option by the club? Seems to me to be a potential double-edged sword for the club. You hold the player, but that player is unmotivated, therefore plays crap, therefore value drops. 

It's a theory that would need some testing.

1 minute ago, Redtucks said:

They have had numerous zoom chats FFS!!!

Would you employ someone long term if you have never met them?

Because SL’s in Guernsey and isn’t allowed off. Because he’s likely to have to confirm the appointment of NP or someone before that changes. 

18 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's a good interview. He's much better in these post and pre matech interviews than the press conferences in the lead up to a game.

On the guys OOC. Is it in any way understandable that they're going through the motions if they've been unable to agree a contract with the club and know they're off in a month's time? In my experience in work, once people know they're leaving and are in a notice period they down tools. The reason to invest effort has gone. 

Now most businesses have the luxury of paying a contract off or putting someone on gardening leave to avoid that impacting the team. In another example of the strangeness of football, we don't so this with players. Managers yes, but not players.

Whilst it may be infuriating to watch, I can see a human reason for the lack of effort and self-motivation.

I agree on this, if your club have told you they don’t want you anymore just why would you put in the same level of effort? I know there’s professional pride but there’s also wanting to avoid injury.

Another example of poor management at higher levels in our club to allow so many people to run down their contracts at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

So in that line up today, only 4 of the 11 who started are OOC at the end of the season. 

Simpson & Mariappa must be hoping for new contracts next season, they’ve both played under him before & I can’t see either downing tools right now. Simpson especially. 

Fam hasn’t looked interested for a while and that’s disappointing because I didn’t think he was that sort of player.

Sessegnon will be going back to Fulham. 

Its too simplistic to blame our performances on having too many ooc at once, a lot of them have hardly played for us recently. 

Thats not what he said, I think he was saying too many players with Zero ***** Given on the pitch.

I have been lambasted on here for the last 12 months for raising questions about how poorly this club is run. Many disagreed but now that the chickens have come home to roost, most will see that this club is in a mess. Allowing Ashton so much power was a massive mistake.

My take is that he will only stay if he gets the job now. There's simply too much to do and he wants some players out and away now as well. Will Lansdown sanction whole sale change now? I very much doubt it unfortunately. He will be able to say that he backed fan choice and experience but improvements were not as expected. Sadly, I can see this scenario.

5 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I completely agree. It's worrying isn't it.  I'm not convinced the rebuild ends with the playing squad either.  The coaching team and fitness/physio team needs rebuilding too which is also going to cost money.  Landsdown will only be able to invest so much and I don't know that we'll be able to do it all.  

Also, with the Landsdown stories of looking for new investment, does this also raise questions for Nigel about stability and how much money will be available? 

There will be other clubs looking for managers that whilst will be in a mess also, will probably far more attractive to him.  

Such bizzare, strange and frustrating times to be a City fan.

It is frustrating sitting at home, distanced from it all and watching it all unfold and crumble and not really feel part of it. We can’t blame Covid, this was going to happen sooner or later as we have limped on for seasons whilst other similar teams have overtaken us. 

I don’t want to be in a toxic Ashton Gate, but I feel so detached. Hard to feel the love for my club at the moment. In normal times I would have travelled to the game today, instead I worked and finished in time to watch it on tv, and I wasn’t even bothered if I did miss it.

I’m sure if we were at AG we would be supporting our youngsters and Nigel, but pretty much the rest of them would have tested the patience of even the staunchest supporter.

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I agree on this, if your club have told you they don’t want you anymore just why would you put in the same level of effort? I know there’s professional pride but there’s also wanting to avoid injury.

Another example of poor management at higher levels in our club to allow so many people to run down their contracts at the same time.

Thats fine, but then dont play them, these are highly paid pro athletes, if they down tools its not great going to a prospective new club and asking for a new contract.

The general consensus on here is that only weimann and walsh are worth new contracts, so im glad that the likes of hunt baker and pato havent been offered new deals - there will be thousands of footballers looking for their next contract this summer, on free transfers, surely we can do better than the wasters weve got now.

its just a shame that more of them arent due to **** off too.

SL looked for a response after Watford and didn’t get it. Holden, ditto. NP looked for a response and didn’t get it. Honestly hard to see what or who, if anything or anyone, could possibly motivate some in this group. Normally when players down tools to get rid of a gaffer they pick them up again when the new boss arrives. And they have a lot at stake, given that lucrative deals in an age of COVID are likely to be hard to come by. Obviously something pretty big is up or has gone wrong, but I’m prepared increasingly to give the club the benefit of the doubt. I would now pick one or two for the ‘contact terminated immediately by mutual consent’ treatment ( ie we still pay you to August but hand your security pass to big Trev. and sod off) as a reminder that the club is still able to wield some sort of authority.

46 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

If that was to happen, you would have a mutiny amongst the fans. This dirty *** Ashton has to go ASAP. He is killing the club. FFS wake up Lansdown.

How is it Ashton's fault that Rowe does a bad backpass and Kalas gives away a soft pen?

Appointing everyone’s mate in the summer was a recipe for disaster and are we surprised with how it’s panned out. The players were all happy when Holden was appointed and thought they got it easy. Now Pearson is giving them home truths they have gone into sulk mode . Absolute shambles of a season but a lot of people knew it would be . It was obvious 

It may be presumptuous to assume that he is just referring to OOC players. Players who are not OOC may well be unsettled by agent talk especially any that are attracting either Premier League interest (Bents, HNM and Antoine) or foreign interest maybe (Nagy/Kalas) or with the prospect of a nice pay day approaching with a transfer (Wells/O’Dowda). Other players may have already set their sights elsewhere and the personal issues could also be between players or with cliques.

We don’t know of course but whatever it is I don’t think Nigel will have any more of it. I think judging by his reaction that his mind was made up about a few players before today (and maybe coaches too) and what today has done is cleared up a few possibles that won’t be making the cut. It’s not always the expected names though.

1 minute ago, MATT BCFC said:

It does worry me a bit how negative he's been in his press conferences. I don't expect him to be positive but I am not convinced slating players in the media ever achieves much. 

As a fan I love to hear straight talking like that. However, I 'm not sure you can do it in this modern age of pampered millionaire ego-inflated players. 

I can imagine this creating a power struggle within the club. With SL being so wishy washy NP isn' t in a very strong position. 

For him to turn this around needs a strong signal of backing from the club. It also requires a clearout so the players here are only those who buy in to NP's values. Until those things happen I'll be surprised if it doesn't get even worse. 

Lansdown needs to get off the fence and be decisive. 

26 minutes ago, RedRock said:

A number of posters on here thought we had serious structural issues within the Club for years, me included.

The culture of the Club from top to bottom is wrong, we’re far too nice, far too accepting of mediocracy and being good losers. Our lack of ability to find 11 players to build a team, let alone a team of winners over 5 years and with £millions spent, with the added benefit of a well-funded Academy, is frightening. 

Truly shocking how the rot has been allowed to develop and spread post Cotts.

Time to walk Ashton and take your medical, fitness, coaching guru’s with you together with the lame excuses for professional footballers you have lumbered us with. Shambolic. 

Pretty sure when Joe and Bobby do their autobiographies we will find out what has gone on behind the scenes to result in such a toxic situation. 

Clubs been soft as ? since cotts left , I’m pretty sure on wilbrahams osib podcast interview he basically said as soon as Johnson come in everything became really relaxed and players basically did what they wanted

3 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Yes, we know that.

So.......?

Simply pointing out that it seems a bit unwise to make a personal meeting a prerequisite to making a decision when it seems likely that a personal meeting will be impossible before you have to make the decision. 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

As a fan I love to hear straight talking like that. However, I 'm not sure you can do it in this modern age of pampered millionaire ego-inflated players. 

I can imagine this creating a power struggle within the club. With SL being so wishy washy NP isn' t in a very strong position. 

For him to turn this around needs a strong signal of backing from the club. It also requires a clearout so the players here are only those who buy in to NP's values. Until those things happen I'll be surprised if it doesn't get even worse. 

Lansdown needs to get off the fence and be decisive. 

I agree, and the last time someone started telling it as it is, cotts got fired pretty quickly. I really dont think SL will appreciate someone coming out publicly slating the senior pros, its not casting a good light on the signings made by the club over the last 4/5 years that these useless idiots have been recruited.

Archived