IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Clubs been soft as ? since cotts left , I’m pretty sure on wilbrahams osib podcast interview he basically said as soon as Johnson come in everything became really relaxed and players basically did what they wanted

I think actually it wasn't quite like that - Wilbraham wasn't ever on OSIB for a start.

Wilbraham implied heavily on the "Under the Cosh" podcast (which you're probably referring to) that Johnson's style of management was jarring, patronising and a bit micro-managey. Not 'relaxed' though. Wilbraham clearly really liked Cotterill so that bias has to be factored in, but that was the implication. 

It was things people heard about Holden that implied it had got really relaxed, almost ridiculously so. 

10 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

How is it Ashton's fault that Rowe does a bad backpass and Kalas gives away a soft pen?

Individual errors arent his fault, but the caretaker manager coming out publically and saying the senior players have no motivation andhe has to rely on youngsters who actually will try, really doesnt reflect well on a chief executive who has been telling everyone how important a new players dna is for the last 5 years.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think actually it wasn't quite like that - Wilbraham wasn't ever on OSIB for a start.

Wilbraham implied heavily on the "Under the Cosh" podcast (which you're probably referring to) that Johnson's style of management was jarring, patronising and a bit micro-managey. Not 'relaxed' though. Wilbraham clearly really liked Cotterill so that bias has to be factored in, but that was the implication. 

It was things people heard about Holden that implied it had got really relaxed, almost ridiculously so. 

He was on osib , basically said how cotts had a lot of decent rules in place but Johnson let the players do as they like especially tomlin got away with alot

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wilbs has done a ‘Cider with’ episode on OSIB. And very good it was too

33 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

So in that line up today, only 4 of the 11 who started are OOC at the end of the season. 

Simpson & Mariappa must be hoping for new contracts next season, they’ve both played under him before & I can’t see either downing tools right now. Simpson especially. 

Fam hasn’t looked interested for a while and that’s disappointing because I didn’t think he was that sort of player.

Sessegnon will be going back to Fulham. 

Its too simplistic to blame our performances on having too many ooc at once, a lot of them have hardly played for us recently. 

It seems to me that there is something rotten at the core of this squad. Perhaps many of them have got contracts lined up for next season, and are going through the motions. Why would they jeopardise a new contract at another club by putting in a shift and getting injured in the process. 
The much vaunted DNA of the nice humans seems to have been exposed as not fit for purpose. I think Holden saw this to be fair, and tried to start to address it with signing Williams. Two further issues have been the injuries and Ashton’s management of contracts. All these situations have come to a head and are festering. For the team to be as poor as they were today, when everyone is looking for a reaction and players putting in a shift as a minimum is a disgrace. 
I think there is no doubt that if NP stays the majority of the OOC players will not be here. He will also try and move Nagy on. I’m so so disappointed.

5 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Simply pointing out that it seems a bit unwise to make a personal meeting a prerequisite to making a decision when it seems likely that a personal meeting will be impossible before you have to make the decision. 

We don't know how long it may be. Could well be within the next week or so.                                                                                                       .

Prankerd stated "How hard is it in this day and age to not have zoom chat ffs!"

From what NP said, they have regularly had zoom chats.

My question still stands. Would you (or Prankerd) commit to offer someone a long term contract, worth millions, to someone who you had spoken to on zoom, but never actually met? 

:dunno:

5 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

We don't know how long it may be. Could well be within the next week or so.                                                                                                       .

Prankerd stated "How hard is it in this day and age to not have zoom chat ffs!"

From what NP said, they have regularly had zoom chats.

My question still stands. Would you (or Prankerd) commit to offer someone a long term contract, worth millions, to someone who you had spoken to on zoom, but never actually met? 

:dunno:

Certainly I would. This is the 21st century not the 19th.  Due process in getting references, asking opinions, having third independent person in on interview., written submission from Pearson in advance on present situation and way forward.

Not rocket science after all.

This is actually very sad and upsetting to read all these posts from passionate fans, myself included, who want us to succeed but are getting nothing but the shitty end of the stick! Time will tell how things pan out but someone has a massive task to get our club back to winning ways and being competitive but at the moment that goal seems a million miles away....sad times .:sad26:

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Very good.

No holding back

Said what many of us would have said

interesting comment about not caring what their personal problems are.

He is spot on, we have players who don’t care.

He also said it had helped make his mind up over a number of things, ie not just who stays and who goes I take it from that

Nige, please stay. You are our hope, in you many of us believe

If not Nige it has to be Obi Wan Kenobi.

NP sounded like a man who is going to seriously kick some ass this week, would love it if he fined some for not fulfilling their contracts properly by playing to potential.sounded like  hes made his mind up on who he would keep out of that shower today if contracts were to be offered at his discretion.

again no baker or walsh? why not? borrow that open top bus from up the road and ram it full of ceos/players,/medics/tombola machines and anything else nige dont want.dump the friggin lot up whorefield,help them go down,not us

might aswell start fresh now with an extended preseason. surely our under 23s could help us scrape another win to get us safe

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

So in that line up today, only 4 of the 11 who started are OOC at the end of the season. 

Simpson & Mariappa must be hoping for new contracts next season, they’ve both played under him before & I can’t see either downing tools right now. Simpson especially. 

Fam hasn’t looked interested for a while and that’s disappointing because I didn’t think he was that sort of player.

Sessegnon will be going back to Fulham. 

Its too simplistic to blame our performances on having too many ooc at once, a lot of them have hardly played for us recently. 

Thanks, that's actually very interesting to know. The lack of application is pretty strange then.

22 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Certainly I would. This is the 21st century not the 19th.  Due process in getting references, asking opinions, having third independent person in on interview., written submission from Pearson in advance on present situation and way forward.

Agree with all that, but maybe the fact that SL wants to meet him in person, offers a silver lining that he may not trust Ashton as much now as he once did?

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Agree with all that, but maybe the fact that SL wants to meet him in person, offers a silver lining that he may not trust Ashton as much now as he once did?

Thought the same. A good honest “face to face” with the boss and no Ashton involved is far better than bullshit from Ashton.

Hopefully SL has woken up and smelt the coffee about Ashton?
If he wants to maintain ST sales, then he has no alternative but to sack that ? snake.

Pissed of with the club currently.

It's difficult for NP.

You've inherited a pot full of toothless 5hit. You can't sign anyone as its outside the window apart from free agents.

You stir it one way it's still a pot full of toothless 5hit. You stir it the other way its still a pot full of toothless 5hit.

It's going to be a watershed few months for the club as this could define the next 5 to 10 years. This is because when NP eventually sits down with SL to not only discuss the player's futures but also his own. Inevitably, recruitment, the five pillars, "Bristol City" people & injury recovery protocols will be discussed at length and with it a level of criticism is bound to be apportioned to the board and CEO for making these decisions in the first place.

Now it may be that SL, or for that matter, NP won't like the criticism or will not accept the massive overhaul needed or want to change the club strategy and there will be a parting of the ways. If that happens we would've missed out on a fantastic opportunity. I wouldn't be surprised though if we revert to type & it doesn't happen as SL has an unfortunate history of that "safe" ambition with Tinnion, Millen & latterly Holden.

I think the "safe" approach is really what he prefers because it gives the board more control but has proved time and again that it simply does not work long term.

Balance that with season ticket sales and the feel good factor as well.

If SL indeed has the courage and  embraces it then it will signal a major overhaul of the coaching and playing staff.

This could be a very fortuitous time with revenue streams in football diminished by Covid.

The next few months will be very interesting.

2 hours ago, Redstart said:

I'd chuck most of the players, as many on here would - I am massively concerned that we just won't be able to recruit the quality we need next season though, in the numbers we need. 

We are literally going to be back to the beginning, hopefully the quality manager we have screamed out for will be secured but other than that we won't pay the wages, we need virtually a whole new team and I just don't see the attraction for players to come to us, especially on the back of this crappy season. 

Feeling a bit gloom and doom at the mo ?

I think the contrary, the budget will be decent due to our FFP position, we have approx 12 players OOC, we have a state of the art training ground and a very well respected Manager - Recruiting 8-9 good players who want to play for NP and a well supported club in a nice part of the country should be fairly straight forward task 

59 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Wilbs has done a ‘Cider with’ episode on OSIB. And very good it was too

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

He was on osib , basically said how cotts had a lot of decent rules in place but Johnson let the players do as they like especially tomlin got away with alot

Sorry guys - you're right - haven't listened to that, will catch up 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We must have interviewed a severe lookalike for 3 hours last May ??

2 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Unfortunately, I can see NP not being taken on and then Ashton doing his usual and appointing one of his mates.....Appleton.

Hope I’m wrong....

I share the same fear as you. It will be tragic though if SL does not sign up NP. At last  someone  who will sort out the spineless and gutless players who are not prepared to fight for the team and show no pride in our club  or it's shirt. With him the club can be turned around without him heaven knows what division we will be in, in a few years time.

34 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I've never met you (to my knowledge).

You might be a lovely bloke!

But I think I'd want to meet you before I'd offer you potentially my most important and expensive contract yet.

Until then I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you!!!

?

1 hour ago, MATT BCFC said:

It does worry me a bit how negative he's been in his press conferences. I don't expect him to be positive but I am not convinced slating players in the media ever achieves much. 

On a slightly different mote I’d add that at times in his responses to Gregor’s not unreasonable questions, he came across as just surly. I know everyone jokes about his ‘legendary’ history of dealing bluntly with journalists whose questions he doesn’t like, but I’m finding it’s beginning to grate. Realise it’s a relatively minor thing in terms of whether he’s a good football manager, I just find it unnecessary.

3 hours ago, Mendip City said:

I got the impression he’s not too bothered about staying.  I might be getting that wrong.... Lansdown has hardly been on the front foot which must seem odd to Nige. 

I may be wrong but, when watching the interview, I read it the other way completely. I got the impression that there is a job to be done here, a lot needs to be changed, and he's seeing it as a professional challenge to get it sorted out. 

Weird though it sounds, I don't think Pearson wants an easy job. He's got money, he's got a reputation and he's proved himself. I think he wants the challenge. My reading of the interview is that, up until today, he'd felt it was. case that he'd be offered the job and decide whether to take it whereas today was the point where the performance has made him feel that he now needs to convince the board he is right for the club, rather than the other way round. I think the gloves are off and enough is enough but in a "I need to sort out these ******* and succeed on my own terms" sense rather than an "I've had enough and I'm off out at the first opportunity" sense. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I may be wrong but, when watching the interview, I read it the other way completely. I got the impression that there is a job to be done here, a lot needs to be changed, and he's seeing it as a professional challenge to get it sorted out. 

Weird though it sounds, I don't think Pearson wants an easy job. He's got money, he's got a reputation and he's proved himself. I think he wants the challenge. My reading of the interview is that, up until today, he'd felt it was. case that he'd be offered the job and decide whether to take it whereas today was the point where the performance has made him feel that he now needs to convince the board he is right for the club, rather than the other way round. I think the gloves are off and enough is enough but in a "I need to sort out these ******* and succeed on my own terms" sense rather than an "I've had enough and I'm off out at the first opportunity" sense. 

Thought it was a very honest assessment as to where we are but......I don’t think that SL will have liked/appreciated his openness/honesty!

Unfortunately, I can see us looking for our 3rd manager in the last 12 months very soon.

I didn't quite understand the comment -

"it was a difficult pitch..." "...just go route one and take the pitch out of it."

Was he saying we should have played more long balls? We played way too many for my liking, so I'm hoping it was a nuanced comment from NP??

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

He needs to take a degree of responsibility for the past few weeks - frankly it's been a disaster and he has been very disappointing.

Yes he has poor players to deal with but a quality manager should at least show us some sort of improvement in performance. 

People on here were comparing our appointment with big mick at Cardiff and saying how well he was doing, seemed to be fast tracking them into the playoffs but look at them now, seem to be hitting the same path as us , lost 5-0 today and have lost a number of the last games also.  Even an experienced manager can struggle 

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Thought it was a very honest assessment as to where we are but......I don’t think that SL will have liked/appreciated his openness/honesty!

Unfortunately, I can see us looking for our 3rd manager in the last 12 months very soon.

I'm also not convinced Pearson will get his contract extended as things tend. I think that would be a mistake but the results give a lot of reasons not to offer an extension. 

Archived