IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

2 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Indeed, I hope SL has the nous to listen. I don't know him personally, so can only go on the many interviews and statements made down the years. He strikes me as someone that's easily irritated by criticism or questioning of approach. This type of questioning is usually met by a, we've worked hard behind the scenes to get to this, outsiders don't know what's best for the club but we do, type of response. How well he'll react to some Nigel Pearson straight talking remains to be seen. It's easy to think everything is going really well when you're too close to it.   

It is likely to be criticism of what’s happened and will ultimately reflect back on SL.  I’m not sure he will like what he hears, unless he’s willing to make MA the scapegoat.

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think the point you make at the end is exactly what he meant.

There were 4 starting yesterday who are either on loan or out of contract this summer & I think he meant he expects effort from them.

Interestingly on a day when he could have substituted about 8 if he could, 3 of those 4 were taken off.

I know I bleat on about Diedhiou, but when the focal point of your 1 man attack is not putting it in, so much else suffers.  Players stop making runs, because they think the ball will be going back over their head.  I thought the ref was very unfair on his yesterday, but he is on his heels so much, he’s always just behind where he needs to be, and likely to make contact after the ball has been won by the defender.  Where have those side runs at the centre back gone from a few weeks ago.  He’s strolling through games. I know I have mentioned Tyler Walker as a prospective signing, but look how he and Godden worked our CBs yesterday.  Dragged them all over the place, getting feet in, catching Simpson late.  We earn bookings for chat-back and handbags.  Diedhiou is just plain lazy and his lack of effort has a major impact on the rest of the team and the way it plays.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is likely to be criticism of what’s happened and will ultimately reflect back on SL.  I’m not sure he will like what he hears, unless he’s willing to make MA the scapegoat.

I know I bleat on about Diedhiou, but when the focal point of your 1 man attack is not putting it in, so much else suffers.  Players stop making runs, because they think the ball will be going back over their head.  I thought the ref was very unfair on his yesterday, but he is on his heels so much, he’s always just behind where he needs to be, and likely to make contact after the ball has been won by the defender.  Where have those side runs at the centre back gone from a few weeks ago.  He’s strolling through games. I know I have mentioned Tyler Walker as a prospective signing, but look how he and Godden worked our CBs yesterday.  Dragged them all over the place, getting feet in, catching Simpson late.  We earn bookings for chat-back and handbags.  Diedhiou is just plain lazy and his lack of effort has a major impact on the rest of the team and the way it plays.

Agreed, Diedhiou is known for being lazy in training and is reflected on the pitch also as he is going end of season anyway. Look at that Coventry game. He just coasted around the pitch. No work rate and just never went looking for the ball the whole game. 
Get rid of the lazy sod.

11 hours ago, Pezo said:

Like Nahki Wells? Danny Simpson? Adrian Mariappa? Henri Lansbury? 

TBF, those you mention didn't disgrace themselves yesterday (along with Kalas although sub par for him, Massengo and Semenyo). At least Simpson tried to get things moving, Marriappa had a sub par game by his standards its true but usually gives his best, Wells had nothing from Sessegnon at all and at least finished for the goal well, and Lansbury at least looked as if he could pass a ball and get stuck in - thought he gave it a good go personally. 

For me, it was Sessegnon, Nagy, and Diedhiou who were abject and shouldn't play again imo.

How a good player like Nagy can play as he does for his Country and then come back and put in a "performance" like that is beyond me (not or the first time), its obvious to me that he wants to be elsewhere. Sessegnon knows he's going back to Fulham - nothing to play for, and I gave up on Diedhiou a while ago - he's a complete waste of space and the sooner he buggers off the better.

45 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Trouble is, this isn't FIFA21 or Football Manager, you can't assume he can sign a dozen players.

Have you heard the last couple of interviews? He has stated to anyone who is able to comprehend that he won't be going out and bringing in 12-15 players in one hit. He has said it will need 4-6 windows to build a squad at the standard he believes will push for promotion to the Premier League and he knows that football finances are not currently in a position where he will get a huge amount of money to spend. This is all stuff that NP has said in interview, not me making it up or misinterpreting.

However many go out, and this is me speculating, I can see around 6 coming in during the first window and then it is likely to be 2-3 per window thereafter. So in four windows time you could have between twelve and fifteen new players. I am also speculating that Andy Rolls, Paul Simpson, Keith Downing and three or four other staff will be out on their arse very quickly if NP gets the job. Therefore it isn't just the players that are obviously going against the presence of NP imo - there are a lot of livelihoods at huge risk in the Cosy Club and an individual in charge who isn't afraid to get rid of any single one of them.

In the medium term I don't care if NP is a relative failure and we end up replacing him. A job needs to be done at the club over the next 12-24 months and he is the man to do it. Once it's done then we can start judging whether he was the right appointment or not in terms of on-field success. There needs to be a clear out and that is obvious to pretty much every one but the most contrary posters who call themselves pragmatists for some reason. To go back to the "status quo" with the likes of Ashton playing the harp in the background, Appleton in charge, half a dozen of the total wasters re-signed and the likes of Rolls and the Chief Physio still at the club will only tell me that Steve Lansdown has completely flunked the Competent Owners test.

39 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Trouble is, this isn't FIFA21 or Football Manager, you can't assume he can sign a dozen players.

Exactly right, consensus is we will bin all the wasters and replace with great players who will take us onwards and upwards - it's just total blue sky thinking to my mind. For years we have ended up picking up players at the last minute, they are rarely our first choice options and having a great ground and facilities is just not going to swing it. 

We were a club on the up and we still couldn't attract those players then, we are now going in the opposite direction and I can't see how just having a quality manager is going to change those players minds. I hope to god I'm wrong but I fear we are in real trouble in the short term and I just hope we can ride it out. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Have you heard the last couple of interviews? He has stated to anyone who is able to comprehend that he won't be going out and bringing in 12-15 players in one hit. He has said it will need 4-6 windows to build a squad at the standard he believes will push for promotion to the Premier League and he knows that football finances are not currently in a position where he will get a huge amount of money to spend. This is all stuff that NP has said in interview, not me making it up or misinterpreting.

However many go out, and this is me speculating, I can see around 6 coming in during the first window and then it is likely to be 2-3 per window thereafter. So in four windows time you could have between twelve and fifteen new players. I am also speculating that Andy Rolls, Paul Simpson, Keith Downing and three or four other staff will be out on their arse very quickly if NP gets the job. Therefore it isn't just the players that are obviously going against the presence of NP imo - there are a lot of livelihoods at huge risk in the Cosy Club and an individual in charge who isn't afraid to get rid of any single one of them.

In the short to medium term I don't care if NP is a relative failure and we end up replacing him. A job needs to be done at the club over the next 12-24 months and he is the man to do it. Once it's done then we can start judging whether he was the right appointment or not in terms of on-field success. There needs to be a clear out and that is obvious to pretty much every one but the most contrary posters who call themselves pragmatists for some reason. To go back to the "status quo" with the likes of Ashton playing the harp in the background, Appleton in charge, half a dozen of the total wasters re-signed and the likes of Rolls and the Chief Physio still at the club will only tell me that Steve Lansdown has completely flunked the Competent Owners test.

I was replying to this post:

"I'd chuck most of the players"

And I quoted it directly

Just now, SecretSam said:

I was replying to this post:

"I'd chuck most of the players"

And I quoted it directly

I'm not knocking your reply but just stating what NP has said.

I think NP would chuck many of the ooc's and operate with a smaller squad of "senior" players (bearing in mind those left SHOULD all be fit by August) plus a trusted group of younger players. It is feasible that he could let 12 go and replace with 6 in the first window and another 3 in the second.......I agree that he won't get rid of 12 and replace every single one.

15 hours ago, Redtucks said:

They have had numerous zoom chats FFS!!!

Would you employ someone long term if you have never met them?

Maybe not in normal times, no. But these are of course exceptional times and we’ve all had to adapt to the ways we work. My son was interviewed over Zoom for a job at a company he hadn’t previously had dealings with, so all new to him. He was offered the job and accepted the post. The first time he met his Boss face to face or stepped foot in the building was on his first day. And although he isn’t a football manager, his job is a quite important career move, certainly not casual work. So yes Zoom employment does happen now.

Also I would like to point out that a football Manager has quite a lot of exposure compared to most ‘normal’ people. There is footage, media coverage,stats, opinions good and bad available about him. SteveL should have a good idea of who Nigel Pearson is without meeting him. Even us fans had an idea without having access to people who have previously worked with him.

I don’t know about the regulations in Gurnsey in particular, but am I right in thinking that people can travel for work purposes. Eg the Bears have just been to France etc. Surely SL jumping on his private jet for a meeting is work and therefore can happen relatively easily.

If they haven’t met, Covid isn’t the reason. I think Nigel has been given free reign to ‘get on with it’ and has a remit to report back his findings.

Whatever the reason and I take your point, RedM, the whole situation needs clarity for everyone concerned. The quicker NP is appointed the better for everyone and the club, as a whole, can work positively towards their plans for the summer and beyond.

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not knocking your reply but just stating what NP has said.

I think NP would chuck many of the ooc's and operate with a smaller squad of "senior" players (bearing in mind those left SHOULD all be fit by August) plus a trusted group of younger players. It is feasible that he could let 12 go and replace with 6 in the first window and another 3 in the second.......I agree that he won't get rid of 12 and replace every single one.

Spot on.

Another poster notes we play "like a team full of strangers".

If we brought in 12 newbies at once we WOULD be a team full of strangers.

I think we might be surprised at some who are retained this summer, as NP thinks they can be improved with the correct coaching and by the addition of new, reliable players to play alongside.  We've all seen players (particularly defenders) turn their game around if they have total confidence in their defensive partners and an understanding of what they will do.

This depends of course on Pearson staying. If he goes, God knows what we'll end up with - and where City will end up. 

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Spot on.

Another poster notes we play "like a team full of strangers".

If we brought in 12 newbies at once we WOULD be a team full of strangers.

I think we might be surprised at some who are retained this summer, as NP thinks they can be improved with the correct coaching and by the addition of new, reliable players to play alongside.  We've all seen players (particularly defenders) turn their game around if they have total confidence in their defensive partners and an understanding of what they will do.

This depends of course on Pearson staying. If he goes, God knows what we'll end up with - and where City will end up. 

I would go as far to say that if Lansdown/Ashton advise NP his services are no longer required and pull out another "special" in the Summer I will literally be putting money on relegation as an insurance recovery against the cost of my season ticket........and assuming I am unfortunate enough to collect on the bet will not be buying another one until the leadership at the club is transferred to someone else. That's where I am right now with this total and utter mess of an Owner/Board. One more big mistake will be one too many for me.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

TBF, those you mention didn't disgrace themselves yesterday (along with Kalas although sub par for him, Massengo and Semenyo). At least Simpson tried to get things moving, Marriappa had a sub par game by his standards its true but usually gives his best, Wells had nothing from Sessegnon at all and at least finished for the goal well, and Lansbury at least looked as if he could pass a ball and get stuck in - thought he gave it a good go personally. 

For me, it was Sessegnon, Nagy, and Diedhiou who were abject and shouldn't play again imo.

How a good player like Nagy can play as he does for his Country and then come back and put in a "performance" like that is beyond me (not or the first time), its obvious to me that he wants to be elsewhere. Sessegnon knows he's going back to Fulham - nothing to play for, and I gave up on Diedhiou a while ago - he's a complete waste of space and the sooner he buggers off the better.

Totally agree.

I’ve stuck up for Nagy in the past but there was no difference between his performance yesterday & those of Bakinson lately, both totally anonymous.

Sessegnon didn’t even have the nous to take the bloke out when he slipped, which would have prevented their second goal.

Diedhiou has hugely disappointed me, he’s mugged us off.

As for Lansbury I thought Pearson’s comments were really interesting, firstly in that he knows he isn’t popular with supporters but secondly that he felt he at least tried to play.

Much as this might disappoint some, we cannot simply play a team of U23s for the next 6 games & that suggests he is going to give him further opportunities.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I would go as far to say that if Lansdown/Ashton advise NP his services are no longer required and pull out another "special" in the Summer I will literally be putting money on relegation as an insurance recovery against the cost of my season ticket........and assuming I am unfortunate enough to collect on the bet will not be buying another one until the leadership at the club is transferred to someone else. That's where I am right now with this total and utter mess of an Owner/Board. One more big mistake will be one too many for me.

We're parking our cars in the same garage, NU.

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Sessegnon didn’t even have the nous to take the bloke out when he slipped, which would have prevented their second goal.

And as I stated elsewhere, Sess and Massengo were pretty close at the point that Sess stood up, but it was Massengo that bust a gut to sprint back to retrieve the situation, while Sess jogged.

Finally just watched his post match interview and he was absolutely spot on, calling out what many on OTIB have been saying for weeks if not months.

If we were in the grounds at the moment I am sure the players would be booed and there would be chants of “one Nigel Pearson”, making it clear where our venom and disappointment is directed.

I am concerned though that either NP will walk or the truth will be too much for SL and he’ll revert to type.

It’s as clear a wake up call to Steve Lansdown as he’s ever likely to get, as been stated elsewhere he’s been asleep at the wheel. For all the wonderful facilities he’s invested in if he gets this wrong and goes for another cheap yes man to fit in with the failed ‘vision’ he will only be remembered as the man who failed at Bristol city. Make no mistake another stupid managerial appointment under Ashtons waffling bullshit terms will see city relegated next season. 

19 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Well, I'm awaiting the announcement on NP before doing anything about my season ticket. 

He simply has to stay. 

What I didn't realise is we have until mid-day on May 4th to renew and retain our seats. I will now be waiting until that date unless NP is confirmed as appointed beforehand. It's the only language the likes of Lansdown and Ashton understand.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What I didn't realise is we have until mid-day on May 4th to renew and retain our seats. I will now be waiting until that date unless NP is confirmed as appointed beforehand. It's the only language the likes of Lansdown and Ashton understand.

As devoid of football romanticism as it sounds, I've really enjoyed having the spare cash that an absence of football has brought about. As I live a couple of hours away and (unavoidably) drive a fairly thirsty van, the annual spend with food etc tops out at over £1,500. 

They'll need to convince me harder than ever for me to give it up again. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

As devoid of football romanticism as it sounds, I've really enjoyed having the spare cash that an absence of football has brought about. As I live a couple of hours away and (unavoidably) drive a fairly thirsty van, the annual spend with food etc tops out at over £1,500. 

There are downsides though, like having to spend more time with the family...

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

We all know the answer that will convince you and others to give it another go BUT that involves a very cautious Owner stepping right out of his comfort zone. I know there are people on here such as @Northern Red who are absolutely convinced that NP is a done deal and I have to admit that the language he speaks doesn't go against that at all i.e. "we", "us", "our" etc. I just have this nagging doubt called Steve Lansdown that is based on 20 years of him running this football club.................I know who I want to be correct on this occasion, that's for sure.

12 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

How dare you write down everything that's inside my brain on this topic!  :laughcont:

Seriously, that's a great post, which makes all the points I want to make.

Lansdown needs to be bold. He knew when he appointed NP he wasn't getting a poodle, a learner or a second-in-command-to-Ashton. He must know that the blame for these poor performances cannot be laid at the door of the man who inherited all the problems.

Our owner has got to be honest with himself. He's got some things badly wrong. Structural things about the club. He's been talked into a situation where we have virtually no first teamer performing to their ability - talked into it by snake-oil salesman/incompetents (delete as necessary!)

He needs to trust Pearson. Listen to Pearson. Act on his recommendations - even if that means taking tough decisions.

Let's just hope he has the nous to do so.

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We all know the answer that will convince you and others to give it another go BUT that involves a very cautious Owner stepping right out of his comfort zone. I know there are people on here such as @Northern Red who are absolutely convinced that NP is a done deal and I have to admit that the language he speaks doesn't go against that at all i.e. "we", "us", "our" etc. I just have this nagging doubt called Steve Lansdown that is based on 20 years of him running this football club.................I know who I want to be correct on this occasion, that's for sure.

I wouldn't say I was convinced it's a done deal but pretty much everything he's said indicates that he intends to be here next season. If I've given the impression that it was certain then it was probably in response to people who seem convinced that the first sign of difficulty would have him running for the hills.

Certainly from his side there seems to be a keenness to make it a permanent arrangement. Of course the club may have other ideas, which is obviously a nagging concern.

10 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

I wouldn't say I was convinced it's a done deal but pretty much everything he's said indicates that he intends to be here next season. If I've given the impression that it was certain then it was probably in response to people who seem convinced that the first sign of difficulty would have him running for the hills.

Certainly from his side there seems to be a keenness to make it a permanent arrangement. Of course the club may have other ideas, which is obviously a nagging concern.

There are occasions when it is nice to be able to say to somebody "you called it right all along"..........this is one of them!!

If it was my money and I was in it as far as SL is with the money he has invested in the club, I'm not joking, I would be on the phone to Pearson TODAY after that shambles of a performance yesterday asking of there is anyone who he has literally had a guts full of, who he doesn't want influencing the youngsters at the training ground any further and I would be saying "leave it with me, he'll be paid up and you'll never set eyes on him again". Then I would be straight on the phone to Markie Boy and saying "there you go lad, time to earn your money, laters".

14 minutes ago, M.D said:

I get the feeling we dont just need Nigel Pearson, we need Craig Shakespeare and Steve Walsh with free reign to re shape the club, I dont think thats going to happen unfortunatly.

I’m not sure CS will leave Villa.  Could quite easily see Chris Powell coming in.

6 hours ago, mozo said:

I'll challenge that. Why? What difference does 'looking him in the eyes' make? Does he need to smell him and touch him too?!

Appointing a manager can't be done virtually? What will SL learn from having NP close up?

I think it's just buying the club time to decide what they want to do.

Fair challenge mozo. Yes appointing a manager can certainly be done virtually. By meeting in person both SL and NP will perhaps get a greater understanding and appreciation of each other’s perspectives and approaches. Having myself recently been virtually interviewed for a job I didn’t get any real feel for the people interviewing me.

Archived