IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

13 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Fair challenge mozo. Yes appointing a manager can certainly be done virtually. By meeting in person both SL and NP will perhaps get a greater understanding and appreciation of each other’s perspectives and approaches. Having myself recently been virtually interviewed for a job I didn’t get any real feel for the people interviewing me.

Perhaps, but Mark Ashton (bloody CEO no less) can do the face to face bit so it's not a fully virtual process. Sorry, it's unnecessary and weird for me. Possibly an excuse.

Edit: thanks for the response to my challenge - I've wanted to get that off my chest!

Having had nearly 24 hours to reflect on it, I’m still bewildered by the ‘performance’ I watched yesterday. This season has produced a procession of inept displays but I think yesterday topped the lot. I won’t be parting with any more cash to Robins TV after that, I’m sick of having my day/weekends ruined by a bunch of wasters who simply don’t care.

I thought Pearson’s interview was a breath of fresh air in one way and terrifying in another. It was great to hear a manager call out the lazy arsed players for what they are, but actually quite shocking in a way to hear a professional who works with these people effectively questioning their honesty and commitment in such stark terms. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard any manager be quite so damning of a group of players than Pearson was.

I have a real sinking feeling about where we are as a club right now. We have a manager, the most important person in any club, who is out of contract in the summer. We have over a starting team’s worth of players who are also out of contract (no bad thing when we’re as poor as we are, but terrible for stability). We have a medical department who have overseen a list of muscular injuries the like of which we’ve never seen. We have an owner who is openly seeking investment. A chairman who is sunning himself in Bermuda. And a Chief Exec who is among the most unpopular figures in my 40 years of supporting the club and who has overseen a period of recruitment which has directly led to the shambolic position we are currently in on the pitch.

I think this summer is a genuine crossroads for us. I really hope Pearson stays to do the job that needs to be done but I can just see Lansdown reverting to type, leaving it to Ashton and us bringing in Appleton or someone similar. When Pearson sits down with SL I just can’t imagine liking what he hears. NP knows what an absolute shower we are now, and he knows he’d have to rip it up and start again. He seems the sort who would give it to you straight, and Lansdown’s ego isn’t going to like that one bit.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong but I think it’s going to be a bumpy old summer to be a City fan....

3 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Having had nearly 24 hours to reflect on it, I’m still bewildered by the ‘performance’ I watched yesterday. This season has produced a procession of inept displays but I think yesterday topped the lot. I won’t be parting with any more cash to Robins TV after that, I’m sick of having my day/weekends ruined by a bunch of wasters who simply don’t care.

I thought Pearson’s interview was a breath of fresh air in one way and terrifying in another. It was great to hear a manager call out the lazy arsed players for what they are, but actually quite shocking in a way to hear a professional who works with these people effectively questioning their honesty and commitment in such stark terms. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard any manager be quite so damning of a group of players than Pearson was.

I have a real sinking feeling about where we are as a club right now. We have a manager, the most important person in any club, who is out of contract in the summer. We have over a starting team’s worth of players who are also out of contract (no bad thing when we’re as poor as we are, but terrible for stability). We have a medical department who have overseen a list of muscular injuries the like of which we’ve never seen. We have an owner who is openly seeking investment. A chairman who is sunning himself in Bermuda. And a Chief Exec who is among the most unpopular figures in my 40 years of supporting the club and who has overseen a period of recruitment which has directly led to the shambolic position we are currently in on the pitch.

I think this summer is a genuine crossroads for us. I really hope Pearson stays to do the job that needs to be done I can just see Lansdown reverting to type, leaving it to Ashton and us bringing in Appleton or someone similar. When Pearson sits down with SL I just can’t imagine liking what he hears. NP knows what an absolute shower we are now, and he knows he’d have to rip it up and start again. He seems the sort who would give it to you straight, and Lansdown’s ego isn’t going to like that one bit.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong but I think it’s going to be a bumpy old summer to be a City fan....

You've summed it up nicely.

6 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I think this summer is a genuine crossroads for us. I really hope Pearson stays to do the job that needs to be done I can just see Lansdown reverting to type, leaving it to Ashton and us bringing in Appleton or someone similar. When Pearson sits down with SL I just can’t imagine liking what he hears. NP knows what an absolute shower we are now, and he knows he’d have to rip it up and start again. He seems the sort who would give it to you straight, and Lansdown’s ego isn’t going to like that one bit.

Apart from that, it's alright though. ?

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Am I right in thinking that, apparently, that is what Hughton said at his interview?

Apparently so.....

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Well......we’ve ‘ad worse times an us?

The thing is we really have ?

4 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Am I right in thinking that, apparently, that is what Hughton said at his interview?

Forgot that!
So Lansdown will have heard it from CH and NP. You would think he might start to listen to them as these are managers who know what they are on about. If SL sticks with this **** Ashton, then I won’t be parting with my hard earned cash next season. How has he been able to destroy what was a bloody good team 3 years ago?

Just now, Jacki said:

Apparently so.....

The thing is we really have ?

My anger of yesterday has distilled into a manic smile that sees me mutter ‘deary me’ from time to time.

If Pearson isn’t appointed, I don’t think I’ll have the interest to follow events over the summer.

A loyal, younger friend of ours said yesterday that is only the prospect of the out of contract players going that’ll spark interest.

If Appleton s appointed and we resign most for ‘stability’ he won’t renew his ticket for the first time in almost 20 years. 

What a mess.

Deary me.

17 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I agree on this, if your club have told you they don’t want you anymore just why would you put in the same level of effort? I know there’s professional pride but there’s also wanting to avoid injury.

Another example of poor management at higher levels in our club to allow so many people to run down their contracts at the same time.

Or put another way, how  would we feel if we had signed these underperforming players on long precovid contracts ? 

11 minutes ago, 054123 said:

My anger of yesterday has distilled into a manic smile that sees me mutter ‘deary me’ from time to time.

If Pearson isn’t appointed, I don’t think I’ll have the interest to follow events over the summer.

A loyal, younger friend of ours said yesterday that is only the prospect of the out of contract players going that’ll spark interest.

If Appleton s appointed and we resign most for ‘stability’ he won’t renew his ticket for the first time in almost 20 years. 

What a mess.

Deary me.

Well we only have a month or so to decide. Needs a bit of pressure so we know what’s happening.  

9 minutes ago, 054123 said:

What a mess.

Deary me.

People will say "get those prima donna's every season" threatening not to renew and, up to now, they have been totally correct. With the after effects of Covid lockdowns and the absolute shower on show this season at the Gate I really do think that things are different this time round with people watching their money and where it is spent. The Owner must get this appointment right.................he can protest all he likes with glib statements such as "people in Bristol obviously don't want Championship football then" but I fear he will get a good kicking so to speak if we see the wrong course of action taken.

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Or put another way, how  would we feel if we had signed these underperforming players on long precovid contracts ? 

If your performance analysis is as good as it should be, you’d never get to that point, you’d only be re-contracting those you genuinely believe are good enough.  You’d move on the others, cutting your losses where you have to.

29 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I think this summer is a genuine crossroads for us. I really hope Pearson stays to do the job that needs to be done but I can just see Lansdown reverting to type, leaving it to Ashton and us bringing in Appleton or someone similar. When Pearson sits down with SL I just can’t imagine liking what he hears. NP knows what an absolute shower we are now, and he knows he’d have to rip it up and start again. He seems the sort who would give it to you straight, and Lansdown’s ego isn’t going to like that one bit.

brilliantly put - I'm out of likes but this would have been on fire!

I don't think the fans have ever been so united in their rejection of Mark Ashton and what he has done to the footballing side of this club.  

However,  on the bright side, if you were looking for someone who wants a challenge, who wants to prove something to the footballing world, you couldn't pick someone better than Nige.    You can see he fancies it a bit, but that he's shocked by how big a job it's going to be.   Give him three years and a lot of financial support he'll do an amazing job here.

Go for it Stevie ;)  It'll cost a lot but not as much as you've made on the stock market in the last 12 months and you don't have any of those horrid taxes that the rest of us have to pay!

41 minutes ago, Jacki said:

Superb post.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

People will say "get those prima donna's every season" threatening not to renew and, up to now, they have been totally correct. With the after effects of Covid lockdowns and the absolute shower on show this season at the Gate I really do think that things are different this time round with people watching their money and where it is spent. The Owner must get this appointment right.................he can protest all he likes with glib statements such as "people in Bristol obviously don't want Championship football then" but I fear he will get a good kicking so to speak if we see the wrong course of action taken.

Right now, with Pearson still likely to be appointed, I’m going to say I’d renew.

But it’s a really close thing now. I’ve not felt this strongly for an awfully long time, not since Pulis post Colchester in the league cup. Even then I put that down to the exuberance of youth.

I think the main reason i do is the fear that my 3 boys won’t love city like I do.

Pathetic really.

My dad stopped taking me when I was 12, after that we had to just catch the 44/45 into town and the 21/22 out.

19 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Quite, both are the wrong answer.

Its a shame we never picked something close to the right answer.

What has happened to our football club?  

There was a time, not so long ago, when I looked forward to watching our team play, even on Robins TV.  I was optimistic that we could maintain possession, defend solidly, create chances and even maybe score a few goals.  Where has it gone?  It's a been a slow tortuous process of deterioration this season and we've got to the point that there doesn't seem to be any hope of any of those things any more, even though  they are the most basic of requirements in a football team.

More importantly, why has it gone?  Is this issue the players - I can't believe that what we thought was a decent squad at the start of the season now looks like a bunch of sunday leaguers who've had 10 pints the night before and can't even get it together to put a  bit of effort in.  Is the issue the manager - we know Holden was a mistake, but things have got even worse over the last few weeks and I can't believe that a manager with a track record like Pearson's can't get a team organised to play with any kind of pattern or even structure.  Is it the coaching staff?  Two former England coaches surely can't be that bad that rather than improving players they make them a little bit worse each week throughout a season to the extent that they can't even remember how to pass the ball over 5 yards.  Is it the medical staff?  Surely a professional team with years of experience can't be giving  such bad conditioning advice that we've had more players out injured than ever before.  Is it the senior management?  I can't believe that a considered recruitment and retention strategy can leave us in the position of having a completely unbalanced squad, half of whom are out of contract in a month and facing a crisis of confidence over an uncertain future. 

Can't believe any of it and yet it all seems to be the case.

Is any of this Pearson's fault?  No of course not.  Can he sort it out?  I really don't know, but my fear is that he won't be given the chance.    

4 minutes ago, SouthS22 said:

What has happened to our football club?  

There was a time, not so long ago, when I looked forward to watching our team play, even on Robins TV.  I was optimistic that we could maintain possession, defend solidly, create chances and even maybe score a few goals.  Where has it gone?  It's a been a slow tortuous process of deterioration this season and we've got to the point that there doesn't seem to be any hope of any of those things any more, even though  they are the most basic of requirements in a football team.

More importantly, why has it gone?  Is this issue the players - I can't believe that what we thought was a decent squad at the start of the season now looks like a bunch of sunday leaguers who've had 10 pints the night before and can't even get it together to put a  bit of effort in.  Is the issue the manager - we know Holden was a mistake, but things have got even worse over the last few weeks and I can't believe that a manager with a track record like Pearson's can't get a team organised to play with any kind of pattern or even structure.  Is it the coaching staff?  Two former England coaches surely can't be that bad that rather than improving players they make them a little bit worse each week throughout a season to the extent that they can't even remember how to pass the ball over 5 yards.  Is it the medical staff?  Surely a professional team with years of experience can't be giving  such bad conditioning advice that we've had more players out injured than ever before.  Is it the senior management?  I can't believe that a considered recruitment and retention strategy can leave us in the position of having a completely unbalanced squad, half of whom are out of contract in a month and facing a crisis of confidence over an uncertain future. 

Can't believe any of it and yet it all seems to be the case.

Is any of this Pearson's fault?  No of course not.  Can he sort it out?  I really don't know, but my fear is that he won't be given the chance.    

Awful I know. Hurts TBH as I have supported them a long time. Never felt so disenchanted with them.
This forum will quite literally self destruct if NP is not given the role we all know is required. SL is gonna have to swallow his pride around Ashton very soon. I ain’t sure he will do it as he always defends the c*n*.

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Worth a watch / listen to the club one (as well as BBCRB one):

Just watched this again.

It’s unbelievable.

In a way, I love it, but my god. What the **** has been allowed to go on by both Holden and Ashton?

There are so many quotes in there which are damning and ask serious questions.

1 hour ago, Jacki said:

I wish I could disagree with you about at least something, but I can’t. As far back as Coppell something wasn’t right, he just walked away and we never really knew the reasons for sure. I don’t think Pearson will go quietly, if he doesn’t stay. He is already giving snippets in interviews and leaving us with an impression of the mess the club is in.

I think he will be professional. He won’t disgrace himself publically but certainly send out shockwaves to the football rumourmill and I doubt if we will attract his like again if damage is done.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

I wish I could disagree with you about at least something, but I can’t. As far back as Coppell something wasn’t right, he just walked away and we never really knew the reasons for sure. I don’t think Pearson will go quietly, if he doesn’t stay. He is already giving snippets in interviews and leaving us with an impression of the mess the club is in.

I think he will be professional. He won’t disgrace himself publically but certainly send out shockwaves to the football rumourmill and I doubt if we will attract his like again if damage is done.

Spot on.

Probably the most important few weeks of my lifetime supporting us coming up.

39 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Just watched this again.

It’s unbelievable.

In a way, I love it, but my god. What the **** has been allowed to go on by both Holden and Ashton?

There are so many quotes in there which are damning and ask serious questions.

How will the spin meister absolve himself of all blame? All Jon's fault?

Someone is getting chucked under a bus and it won't be the owners son, that's for sure! 

Good on Nige for saying what most of us have been suspecting for a while. The owners response will speak volumes methinks. 

At least the cat is out the bag now and NP has exposed all the cover ups that have been going on at the club. Bravo Nigel Pearson. About time someone exposed these fakes.

@Ska Junkieagreed, gonna be interesting to see what the owners response will be after that damning interview. SL will not be used to that. Ashton no doubt will go in to hiding until next season.

5 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

At least the cat is out the bag now and NP has exposed all the cover ups that have been going on at the club. Bravo Nigel Pearson. About sometime someone exposed these fakes.

This is why I'm so interested in SL's response. If he agrees with NP, surely MA has to bear the brunt of the blame? If he pushes back, we know for certain it's a comfy 'boys' club mentality and welcome Michael Appleton.

Surely SL can't send MA to answer these queries as he's potentially at fault here?

Very, very clever NP. 

10 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

How will the spin meister absolve himself of all blame? All Jon's fault?

Someone is getting chucked under a bus and it won't be the owners son, that's for sure! 

Good on Nige for saying what most of us have been suspecting for a while. The owners response will speak volumes methinks. 

The thing is NP is telling the truth without handing out the blame to named individuals which is quite a subtle skill. The problem is that there are so many home truths to be told that the Owner is going to be hurt that under his watch the club has been allowed to get into this state. It's whether he can swallow his pride and do the right thing that is key because from what I can see if Pearson is given the chance by Lansdown then he will do it his way AND take the responsibility from that point on. It would have been very easy for NP to go all Joey Barton on us but to his credit he hasn't.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The thing is NP is telling the truth without handing out the blame to named individuals which is quite a subtle skill. The problem is that there are so many home truths to be told that the Owner is going to be hurt that under his watch the club has been allowed to get into this state. It's whether he can swallow his pride and do the right thing that is key because from what I can see if Pearson is given the chance by Lansdown then he will do it his way AND take the responsibility from that point on. It would have been very easy for NP to go all Joey Barton on us but to his credit he hasn't.

What NP has done is made it very clear to SL that “this is the way I operate if you want me”.
Which will be completely the opposite to what SL is used to, which is bullshit excuses and fairy tale stories from the snake Ashton.

I think it’s become clear this is a pivotal moment in our history.

From reading many of the threads on OTIB I think most agree with NP needing to stay and be given the support to remove and rebuild. 

Unfortunately I don’t think this is what SL will want to hear who seems to think apart from playing coherent football everything else is fine with the culture and set up of the club. I think it’s exactly this that needs to change though, the culture, the identity whatever you want to call it. It’s this very aspect that’s at the core of what got us in this mess and if SL thinks that’s actually worth retaining then I fear we’ll lose NP and continue our downward spiral.

Archived