IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

10 minutes ago, One Team said:

I think it’s become clear this is a pivotal moment in our history.

From reading many of the threads on OTIB I think most agree with NP needing to stay and be given the support to remove and rebuild. 

Unfortunately I don’t think this is what SL will want to hear who seems to think apart from playing coherent football everything else is fine with the culture and set up of the club. I think it’s exactly this that needs to change though, the culture, the identity whatever you want to call it. It’s this very aspect that’s at the core of what got us in this mess and if SL thinks that’s actually worth retaining then I fear we’ll lose NP and continue our downward spiral.

Obviously you can't speak for EVERYBODY but judging by the reaction on here and the reaction of literally EVERY City fan I have spoken to who doesn't use this site a rejection of Nigel Pearson would represent the biggest single middle finger that the Owner has ever shown to the fans and I've got to say I really don't think it will be taken lightly this time. There are more reasons NOT TO RENEW your season ticket than there have ever been and he really needs to think carefully if such a course of action has crossed his mind in my view.

Hmmm.....most of us could say what “Nige” said today.....the real test is actioning what has been said!  Am not sure that Pearson will want the challenge....he will want complete control and that will not happen whilst MA is in tenure....Pearson’s CV reads pretty well, he can walk away with a wad in his back pocket at the end of the season and into a job that totally suits his management personality.  This short term contract will backfire on the club and the fans.  “Nige” walks away, the players are hedging their bets on Pearson being gone in 6 games time, and are cruising.  It’s then back to the drawing board for the summer....to unveil....”Appleton” (all along).....Just a thought.

15 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Obviously you can't speak for EVERYBODY but judging by the reaction on here and the reaction of literally EVERY City fan I have spoken to who doesn't use this site a rejection of Nigel Pearson would represent the biggest single middle finger that the Owner has ever shown to the fans and I've got to say I really don't think it will be taken lightly this time. There are more reasons NOT TO RENEW your season ticket than there have ever been and he really needs to think carefully if such a course of action has crossed his mind in my view.

Neither do I. We have been perhaps the most patient fans in this country living in a City the size of Bristol and having constantly been served up dross football and hollow promises. SL has built his stadium now and he now needs to concentrate on getting a team on the field to justify this enormous spend. Getting to my age and watching City since I was 8 ( and being a Club Sponsor in the 70's) I have built up quite a few people who have been involved with the club and the common thought amongst them is that SL was more interested in the Real Estate that is Ashton Gate and not what we go there for......the football. We have been loyal to him throughout his tenure and it would be nice to now see this loyalty reciprocated in getting a Top Class manager ( we have one at present) and seeing through the snake that is MA. It is the only way forward or sad to say I might live out my last years supporting a Lge1/Championship yo yo club. I dont deserve it.......you dont deserve it. It is firmly in SL's court now.

3 hours ago, Jacki said:

NP knows what an absolute shower we are now, and he knows he’d have to rip it up and start again. He seems the sort who would give it to you straight, and Lansdown’s ego isn’t going to like that one bit

I don't think SL got to be as successful a businessman as he is by ignoring his staff's advice.

10 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

True, but if NP says rip it up and start again if you want me to take it forward and MA says that isn’t necessary then what does he do?

I have questioned SL’s true level of ambition for the club for some time.

In the next few weeks the truth will out. When he does meet with NP I suspect that he is going to hear a lot of things that he will not find palatable or, maybe he has already worked them out for himself. Either way big changes are required, will he be up for that? Or revert to type and trust Ashton and lose Pearson.

NP does not strike me as the sort of bloke to stick around if he does not like the direction of travel, we can only hope that SL was aware of that before he appointed him. Or, did he see him as a safe and experienced option to get us through to the end of the season? If so, that has not worked too well so far, which may encourage him to appoint another ‘ project’ . In my opinion that will result in an utter mutiny amongst the fan base.

There is also the possibility that NP decides this is not for him regardless of SL’s thoughts and moves on to somewhere that he feels offers a better opportunity in a shorter timescale.

Lots up in the air here and the short to medium term future of the club will be decoded in the next few weeks.

46 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

I don't think SL got to be as successful a businessman as he is by ignoring his staff's advice.

I don't think Lansdown treats Bristol City FC like the way he and Peter Hargreaves have managed HL. There's far more sentiment involved (see LJ appointment and countless other examples over the years). It sounds a bit mean spirited but the football club is a bit of a vanity project. He won't make any money on the club so he doesn't treat it with the same ruthlessness he'd treat his business. 

45 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

In the next few weeks the truth will out. When he does meet with NP I suspect that he is going to hear a lot of things that he will not find palatable or, maybe he has already worked them out for himself. Either way big changes are required, will he be up for that? Or revert to type and trust Ashton and lose Pearson.

NP does not strike me as the sort of bloke to stick around if he does not like the direction of travel, we can only hope that SL was aware of that before he appointed him. Or, did he see him as a safe and experienced option to get us through to the end of the season? If so, that has not worked too well so far, which may encourage him to appoint another ‘ project’ . In my opinion that will result in an utter mutiny amongst the fan base.

There is also the possibility that NP decides this is not for him regardless of SL’s thoughts and moves on to somewhere that he feels offers a better opportunity in a shorter timescale.

Lots up in the air here and the short to medium term future of the club will be decoded in the next few weeks.

my belief is now swaying towards NP not being here next season and him being just a stop gap ST seller, sad and hope I`m wrong, we`ll see as you say.

10 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

my belief is now swaying towards NP not being here next season and him being just a stop gap ST seller, sad and hope I`m wrong, we`ll see as you say.

Amazing how much people read into a post match interview. That's the only thing that seems to have swayed some people's opinion since the game.

I'm 100% confident he'll stay barring an absurdly unlikely relegation. 

11 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I think he will be here but would love to be a fly on the wall when he meets Steve. I don’t think SL would want to lose NP, even if the prognosis of the club is somewhat terminal currently. Heads have to roll.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Well said. If NP is not in charge, I'm not bothering again. Done with this mess

I think SL looks at what has happened with the bears and can see the value of getting the right leader. He mentioned as much in a clip from the 3 peaps in a podcast interview. He talked about how much he has learned from having Pat Lam in charge and crucially, how it had changed his mind. To me that seems to suggest that we are moving away from the idea of a head coach, towards a manager/leader. That leader by definition must be given more control over the players/ playing side of the club than the likes LJ and DH ever had. We need a clear defined playing style and then recruit accordingly. The direction of travel on this will become clearer in the next few weeks. If NP is going to be the man to take the rebuild on (I hope he is) he needs to be given control, which means his own coaching/ recruitment team coming on board.

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

True, but if NP says rip it up and start again if you want me to take it forward and MA says that isn’t necessary then what does he do?

This is why it's so fascinating no1, whatever SL does now, either the current hierarchy are at fault or he turns against the wishes of the fan base and we will know it's a pipe dream.

I thinks it's a brilliant statement by NP, I really do.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

This is why it's so fascinating no1, whatever SL does now, either the current hierarchy are at fault or he turns against the wishes of the fan base and we will know it's a pipe dream.

When you consider other people he’s worked for such as the circus at Watford it won’t be too difficult with our Board to manoeuvre himself into a position where, as you say, it’s all on them now to decide what the future of the club is. There are no more false dawns any more, no more bullshit from Owner/CEO. Whatever they do it’s come clean time.

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I really hope this post is wide of the mark, but can’t help feeling it’s on the money.....

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

NP appears to be a relatively intelligent person. A shrewd operator who knows how to get the best out of players. A skill that all top managers have. I am sure SL will see this also which is why I am fairly confident about him staying here Just gonna be tricky moving Ashton out/sideways though.

That presser after the Coventry game was pure quality - no bull, just facts. Fronted up to all and sundry. That side for Coventry was NOT his team. Quite frankly some of them were a disgrace.

The key fact to remember - is that SL will now realise that he needs NP more than NP needs SL.

3 hours ago, oldstandrobin said:

Neither do I. We have been perhaps the most patient fans in this country living in a City the size of Bristol and having constantly been served up dross football and hollow promises. SL has built his stadium now and he now needs to concentrate on getting a team on the field to justify this enormous spend. Getting to my age and watching City since I was 8 ( and being a Club Sponsor in the 70's) I have built up quite a few people who have been involved with the club and the common thought amongst them is that SL was more interested in the Real Estate that is Ashton Gate and not what we go there for......the football. We have been loyal to him throughout his tenure and it would be nice to now see this loyalty reciprocated in getting a Top Class manager ( we have one at present) and seeing through the snake that is MA. It is the only way forward or sad to say I might live out my last years supporting a Lge1/Championship yo yo club. I dont deserve it.......you dont deserve it. It is firmly in SL's court now.

Good post @oldstandrobin. I never thought forr one second of my life since I discovered Bristol City as a five year old, that I would ever not want to go to matches. Maybe it's old age but I am so torn about renewal. With Pearson, we stand a reasonable chance of progress upwards. Without him, and another rookie, cheap Head Coach, I can only see Third or Fourth Division looming. SL will sell us and make a big profit but we will be back where I started. No thanks, if that happens it's not worth the time and effort. 

I'll stick with the Bears as they entertain and play as a team. City are worse than a seven year old team of schoolkids.

3 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I really hope this post is wide of the mark, but can’t help feeling it’s on the money.....

I hope I’m well wide of the mark. By appointing Pearson short term Steve was kicking the can down the road. Of course it made sense but decision time is looming.

24 minutes ago, HappyClapper said:

I think SL looks at what has happened with the bears and can see the value of getting the right leader. He mentioned as much in a clip from the 3 peaps in a podcast interview. He talked about how much he has learned from having Pat Lam in charge and crucially, how it had changed his mind. To me that seems to suggest that we are moving away from the idea of a head coach, towards a manager/leader. That leader by definition must be given more control over the players/ playing side of the club than the likes LJ and DH ever had. We need a clear defined playing style and then recruit accordingly. The direction of travel on this will become clearer in the next few weeks. If NP is going to be the man to take the rebuild on (I hope he is) he needs to be given control, which means his own coaching/ recruitment team coming on board.

IIRC, SL brought NP in fairly quickly, and there were comments/suggestions that he was fed up with (Ashton's) long drawn out interview processes. My hope is that SL has run out of patience with Ashton now, and will be more receptive of a strong manager to run the show (given the Bears example too), even if it means a change in direction. He can easily save face, what went before was what was needed at the time, now we need something different for the next stage of our progress.

Like others have said, this feels like such a crossroads, and this is one of the biggest decisions SL has had to make (despite being one of the easiest if he is rational about it)

2 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

Hopefully SL has learnt from his Coppell experience, you don’t mess experienced managers about otherwise they walk 

He’s going to have to listen to some home truths about players his CEO did the due diligence on and spent (wasted) millions of SLs money with no return

Hopefully SL will take on board what NP says and back him and sack MA and bring in a DoF that knows what they are doing 

If he fails to do so then I just can’t see that NP will want to be party to MAs spin and BS and will shake hands virtually and walk away

7 hours ago, Jacki said:

Having had nearly 24 hours to reflect on it, I’m still bewildered by the ‘performance’ I watched yesterday. This season has produced a procession of inept displays but I think yesterday topped the lot. I won’t be parting with any more cash to Robins TV after that, I’m sick of having my day/weekends ruined by a bunch of wasters who simply don’t care.

I thought Pearson’s interview was a breath of fresh air in one way and terrifying in another. It was great to hear a manager call out the lazy arsed players for what they are, but actually quite shocking in a way to hear a professional who works with these people effectively questioning their honesty and commitment in such stark terms. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard any manager be quite so damning of a group of players than Pearson was.

I have a real sinking feeling about where we are as a club right now. We have a manager, the most important person in any club, who is out of contract in the summer. We have over a starting team’s worth of players who are also out of contract (no bad thing when we’re as poor as we are, but terrible for stability). We have a medical department who have overseen a list of muscular injuries the like of which we’ve never seen. We have an owner who is openly seeking investment. A chairman who is sunning himself in Bermuda. And a Chief Exec who is among the most unpopular figures in my 40 years of supporting the club and who has overseen a period of recruitment which has directly led to the shambolic position we are currently in on the pitch.

I think this summer is a genuine crossroads for us. I really hope Pearson stays to do the job that needs to be done but I can just see Lansdown reverting to type, leaving it to Ashton and us bringing in Appleton or someone similar. When Pearson sits down with SL I just can’t imagine liking what he hears. NP knows what an absolute shower we are now, and he knows he’d have to rip it up and start again. He seems the sort who would give it to you straight, and Lansdown’s ego isn’t going to like that one bit.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong but I think it’s going to be a bumpy old summer to be a City fan....

And SL thinks the team just need a little bit of tinkering as "they're a very good group of players" (I paraphrase). 

No they aren't. Most are way short of average. Until SL concedes this, Pearson will not be here for the long term, I believe. 

Archived