IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the odd thing about it. It would have been justified - especially as Lansdown has access to private planes if necessary. I don't think the Guernsey 'lockdown' excuse holds much water really because I think if he really wanted to he could've made it happen. 

Not sure on the protocols . Would look like one rule for them etc 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

“How did you find your motivation when you were a player”

NP - “Because I am professional”

Just the three clubs in a playing career of 17 or 18 seasons. Different era and a different beast is Nige to today’s game and many of its opportunists/protagonists. 

Also, a centre back. They're (or were) always up for it in our game.

59 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just the three clubs in a playing career of 17 or 18 seasons. Different era and a different beast is Nige to today’s game and many of its opportunists/protagonists. 

Also, a centre back. They're (or were) always up for it in our game.

I’m in the Centre-Backs union ?

What do we think about this comment...?

If people just expect there to be reconstruction of a whole squad, it won't happen.

What we have to do is transparent with what our plan is moving forward; whether that's a two-year or a three-year plan to try and achieve Premier League status, which would be great.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

If people just expect there to be reconstruction of a whole squad, it won't happen.

What we have to do is transparent with what our plan is moving forward; whether that's a two-year or a three-year plan to try and achieve Premier League status, which would be great.

It's common sense really.  

I've read statements here like "I'd get rid of all of them except Massengo!"

You can't decry our side for playing like a team full of strangers and then want to start next season with a literal team full of strangers.  Even if FFP allowed you to make the massive investment in new first-team players that would entail.

Pearson would need to shape the squad, evolve it, towards what he wants. It'll be clear to him, it's a long way off that now.

It'll mean retaining some of the underperforming players, coaching them to cut out mistakes and re-instil self-belief: we know most of them can perform far better than they have in recent games.  It's about playing people in their very best positions, forming defensive and strike partnerships that work, getting the right additions to the club that'll work with what's here.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's common sense really.  

I've read statements here like "I'd get rid of all of them except Massengo!"

You can't decry our side for playing like a team full of strangers and then want to start next season with a literal team full of strangers.  Even if FFP allowed you to make the massive investment in new first-team players that would entail.

Pearson would need to shape the squad, evolve it, towards what he wants. It'll be clear to him, it's a long way off that now.

It'll mean retaining some of the underperforming players, coaching them to cut out mistakes and re-instil self-belief: we know most of them can perform far better than they have in recent games.  It's about playing people in their very best positions, forming defensive and strike partnerships that work, getting the right additions to the club that'll work with what's here.

Yeah I think you're right, and it sounds suspiciously like he's responding to the thread on here! 

4 hours ago, mozo said:

There are a minority on here who are done with Pearson already (although I suspect in a number of cases that has more to do with signing Danny Simpson than anything else). They don't seem to have heard that interview and haven't commented on it yet but when they find out we might be looking at a three year rebuilding job their heads will probably explode. I have to say I would much rather do it that way and have honesty about it from the Manager than go the way of recent times when we hear "top 6 is the target" coming from the very top of the club and yet many people look at the squad we have and think "what the hell are you on about?".

If people can't hack a 2-3 year wait (no guarantees even then of course) then those particular people won't buy season tickets and the club have to swallow it. It's better than telling outright lies to sell season tickets and failing on your promises consistently and abysmally. We have a complete squad rebuild and a change in playing style to gradually complete before we can start thinking about a sustainable challenge at the top end of the Championship (sustainable doesn't mean being 6th with 8 games to go and finishing 11th) and that's no five minute job.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Not suprised at all and I'm pleased Nigel is aware of this too. We have so many players leaving that would require so much investment to replace the numbers in one go which just won't happen.  When you factor in the changes (and cost) to coaching, fitness and physio set up thats also required, then it's pretty clear we won't have the funds to do it all in one window. 

We fans (well some) need to wake up and realise this is the reality quickly. We are heading in to an uncharted period and I think there are going to be some pretty unhappy fans when we haven't recruited 10+ players over the summer.

I've no idea how this is going to play out.

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

There are a minority on here who are done with Pearson already (although I suspect in a number of cases that has more to do with signing Danny Simpson than anything else). They don't seem to have heard that interview and haven't commented on it yet but when they find out we might be looking at a three year rebuilding job their heads will probably explode. I have to say I would much rather do it that way and have honesty about it from the Manager than go the way of recent times when we hear "top 6 is the target" coming from the very top of the club and yet many people look at the squad we have and think "what the hell are you on about?".

If people can't hack a 2-3 year wait (no guarantees even then of course) then those particular people won't buy season tickets and the club have to swallow it. It's better than telling outright lies to sell season tickets and failing on your promises consistently and abysmally. We have a complete squad rebuild and a change in playing style to gradually complete before we can start thinking about a sustainable challenge at the top end of the Championship (sustainable doesn't mean being 6th with 8 games to go and finishing 11th) and that's no five minute job.

I agree with your post but the trouble with a 2 or 3 year rebuild is that it requires you to trim the deadwood each season and add to your strengths.  The trouble is we tend to sale our strengths each year in order to survive. Can City afford to change that policy?

11 minutes ago, marmite said:

I agree with your post but the trouble with a 2 or 3 year rebuild is that it requires you to trim the deadwood each season and add to your strengths.  The trouble is we tend to sale our strengths each year in order to survive. Can City afford to change that policy?

Can they afford not to? If things carry on as they are right now we all know what will happen on the pitch (next season tbh) and we all know where that will leave season ticket sales.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Can they afford not to? If things carry on as they are right now we all know what will happen on the pitch (next season tbh) and we all know where that will leave season ticket sales.

I appreciate that but SL said the balance sheet will look horrific this year and I don't expect we'll get 15000 s/t sales for the coming season. I will renew cos I'm a 70 year old life long supporter but I know many who are hesitant and have found different priorities. 

Just now, marmite said:

I appreciate that but SL said the balance sheet will look horrific this year and I don't expect we'll get 15000 s/t sales for the coming season. I will renew cos I'm a 70 year old life long supporter but I know many who are hesitant and have found different priorities. 

Yes, we will see a drop in ST sales next season, that's a given. Whether it be an expected drop, a disappointing drop or a catastrophic drop is the key. I think the appointment of NP and a bit of honesty in terms of the direction the club is taking can reduce that drop to one of the first two categories. However, keep doing what we've been doing, get rid of NP, bring in an Appleton or equivalent, re-sign a number of the players that continually let Managers down and.....................

19 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not sure on the protocols . Would look like one rule for them etc 

Not so sure about that, he has a genuine business justification for travel (assuming Guernsey's rules are similar to ours) and I think it is far more palatable than his use of furlough/laying staff off. That's a whole bad news story in itself that fell through the cracks of the bigger macro story of Covid. 

20 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s the Guernsey side of things that are the problem though and that`s where the rules would be broken.

Good point, haven't read up on Guernsey's rules.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Very happy and reassured to hear NP say he is already involved in player contract discussions for next season. 

Also saying he understands that there will always be speculation thats he's not had a face to face meeting with SL as yet but sees nothing to worry about on that point.

2 minutes ago, M.D said:

Also saying he understands that there will always be speculation thats he's not had a face to face meeting with SL as yet but sees nothing to worry about on that point.

We've had better management of the media in the last five weeks from one man who is currently here temporarily than we've had in the last five years...........and all he does is understand the issues the supporters are concerned about and comment on them. Who would have thought that might work.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

We've had better management of the media in the last five weeks from one man who is currently here temporarily than we've had in the last five years...........and all he does is understand the issues the supporters are concerned about and comment on them. Who would have thought that might work.

Totally agree apart from the temporary here bit, I think he knows he's here for a while and is planning, all his media comes across as if he is taking this job on long term..

9 hours ago, mozo said:

What I think about that comment...

Well, it looks to me big Nige is here long term. So I’m happy about that... but I want his own staff with him.

Here’s hoping!

5 minutes ago, M.D said:

Totally agree apart from the temporary here bit, I think he knows he's here for a while and is planning, all his media comes across as if he is taking this job on long term..

I'm not saying he won't be here permanently but currently he isn't and he's still handled the media far better than permanent employees of the club, some paid significant dosh to do just that and yet only manage one Twentyman interview per season.........

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'm not saying he won't be here permanently but currently he isn't and he's still handled the media far better than permanent employees of the club, some paid significant dosh to do just that and yet only manage one Twentyman interview per season.........

I get your point and agree, on the same page with you on that..

Amazing really after Lee and his 3 windows (or whatever it was) we're now five years on from him joining and basically in the same state with Pearson saying it's a 2-3 year rebuild needed, which is basically the whole bloody lot.

What a cock up. Not laying it all at Lee's feet either of course but wow.

4 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Amazing really after Lee and his 3 windows (or whatever it was) we're now five years on from him joining and basically in the same state with Pearson saying it's a 2-3 year rebuild needed, which is basically the whole bloody lot.

What a cock up. Not laying it all at Lee's feet either of course but wow.

Yep we are back to square one again but I have a little bit of hope that we will go with this temporary manager of ours and that the owner we have has realised that the roll model he has implemented at his rugby club will work with his football club too.

Archived