IGNORED

Pearson post match interview

Ivorguy

On 05/04/2021 at 19:46, Redtucks said:

We don't know how long it may be. Could well be within the next week or so.                                                                                                       .

Prankerd stated "How hard is it in this day and age to not have zoom chat ffs!"

From what NP said, they have regularly had zoom chats.

My question still stands. Would you (or Prankerd) commit to offer someone a long term contract, worth millions, to someone who you had spoken to on zoom, but never actually met? 

:dunno:

Ref the last para, a lot has changed in the world during the last 12 months. A year ago the concept of working from home and conducting business meetings by zoom would have been laughable. Now big business (far bigger than Bristol City) operate like that and make mega buck decisions via remote conferences. I’m not sure what SL expects to get from a face-to-face personal meeting. Is he planning to be some sort of mystic who stares at NP and says “look into my eyes.......”. 

The big issue is time. The planning for next season needs to start now, not in a few weeks. Should SL have his  look into my eyes meeting with NP and either party decides to go their separate ways then the whole manager / coach recruitment process starts again. How long would it take and who would we get?  

55 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

And SL thinks the team just need a little bit of tinkering as "they're a very good group of players" (I paraphrase). 

No they aren't. Most are way short of average. Until SL concedes this, Pearson will not be here for the long term, I believe. 

This concerns me too. SL might conclude that NP is not the right man to get the best out of the players we already have here. Does he spend a fortune on new players or find someone else who he thinks will get more out of what he has already spent a lot of money on? 

I still think he would prefer someone 'nice' like Eddie Howe. Whether any soundings have been made for this summer, who knows. Given a choice between those two I would prefer NP myself. 

Such an important few weeks for the club i feel also, I’m very nervous (not about relegation, as i feel we will avoid it), but potentially losing NP to another club. SL/MA scaring him off a potentially exciting project to being lumbered with a below par coach, fighting relegation next season and me indefinitely falling out of love with the club I first watched over 30 years ago.

I’ve just depressed myself further, as it’s my worst case scenario. If any club could achieve the above it’s Bristol City.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Amazing how much people read into a post match interview. That's the only thing that seems to have swayed some people's opinion since the game.

I'm 100% confident he'll stay barring an absurdly unlikely relegation. 

I think doubts come from NP saying “summer is too late” and SL saying he’ll need to meet NP (in next few weeks) first.

Now, SL did say he’d take his time over replacing DH, only to change his mind very quickly.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think doubts come from NP saying “summer is too late” and SL saying he’ll need to meet NP (in next few weeks) first.

Now, SL did say he’d take his time over replacing DH, only to change his mind very quickly.

I also think doubts creep in because, clearly, the size of the task is proving to be even bigger than most of us imagined. 

I think the vast majority would have expected NP to bring about a consistently higher level already, eradicating basic mistakes and working on strengths. Unable to do so, it would suggest NP will need to make bigger waves than SL or MA would be willing to accommodate. 

If that's the case, I can imagine NP saying "thanks but no thanks". Why would he want to be here where the realistic target is restricted to stability in the championship?

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I also think doubts creep in because, clearly, the size of the task is proving to be even bigger than most of us imagined. 

I think the vast majority would have expected NP to bring about a consistently higher level already, eradicating basic mistakes and working on strengths. Unable to do so, it would suggest NP will need to make bigger waves than SL or MA would be willing to accommodate. 

If that's the case, I can imagine NP saying "thanks but no thanks". Why would he want to be here where the realistic target is restricted to stability in the championship?

I think the bigger risk is that Steve after a massive cash injection to balance the books this season, does not want to invest any more large sums.

Thanks to our appalling recruitment and players contract management, plus the lack of saleable talent from the Academy, the significant sums to fund a complete root and branch overhaul of the Club ain’t going to be there. 

My fear is we end up with some ‘wannabe a Championship manager’ from the lower leagues. Basically, back to where we started with a nice ground - we now don’t own - and a ‘high performance’ centre.

Come back Cotts, all is forgiven. 

15 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I think the bigger risk is that Steve after a massive cash injection to balance the books this season, does not want to invest any more large sums.

Thanks to our appalling recruitment and players contract management, plus the lack of saleable talent from the Academy, the significant sums to fund a complete root and branch overhaul of the Club ain’t going to be there. 

My fear is we end up with some ‘wannabe a Championship manager’ from the lower leagues. Basically, back to where we started with a nice ground - we now don’t own - and a ‘high performance’ centre.

You make a lot of sense.

It just feels like we're not one thing or another. Too big an infrastructure to fart around in the lower reaches of the championship. Too cautious/incompetent/unambitious to knock on the door of the Prem. 

Hmmm. 

7 hours ago, RedRock said:

Just a small point, we have had a separate entity own the ground since about 1983. 

14 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't think Lansdown treats Bristol City FC like the way he and Peter Hargreaves have managed HL. There's far more sentiment involved (see LJ appointment and countless other examples over the years). It sounds a bit mean spirited but the football club is a bit of a vanity project. He won't make any money on the club so he doesn't treat it with the same ruthlessness he'd treat his business. 

Possibly true. Maybe he should...

On 06/04/2021 at 10:23, Numero Uno said:

I'm not knocking your reply but just stating what NP has said.

I think NP would chuck many of the ooc's and operate with a smaller squad of "senior" players (bearing in mind those left SHOULD all be fit by August) plus a trusted group of younger players. It is feasible that he could let 12 go and replace with 6 in the first window and another 3 in the second.......I agree that he won't get rid of 12 and replace every single one.

I thought I'd have a look at what we're left with if we let everyone go who's out of contract this summer. 

GK
Bentley & O'Leary
DEF
Kalas, Vyner, Moore, Dasilva, Pring & Towler 
MID
Massengo, Nagy, Bakinson, Williams, Palmer, O'Dowda, Pearson, 
FWD
Wells, Martin, Semenyo, Bell, Edwards

20 players of which 5 (Towler, Massengo, Pearson, Edwards & Bell) don't count towards the 25 man squad, so we'd have 10 available places providing we don't sell any. In any case I'd expect a couple/few of them to be loaned out. 

I don't think it's the worst base to build on, nor is it the best, and as you mentioned we wont be signing 12 players to replace those leaving. 5 or 6 decent additions is probably a minimum requirement though when you look at that squad

Just now, Carey 6 said:

I thought I'd have a look at what we're left with if we let everyone go who's out of contract this summer. 

GK
Bentley & O'Leary
DEF
MID
FWD

20 players of which 5 (Towler, Massengo, Pearson, Edwards & Bell) don't count towards the 25 man squad, so we'd have 10 available places providing we don't sell any. In any case I'd expect a couple/few of them to be loaned out. 

I don't think it's the worst base to build on, nor is it the best, and as you mentioned we wont be signing 12 players to replace those leaving, 5 or 6 decent additions is probably a minimum requirement though when you look at that squad

In an ideal world, I'd probably look to move on the bolded players above. I'm not completely sold on Vyner but think he's worth sticking with. I think Palmer hasn't shown his ability consistently enough, but could be persuaded on him. 

5 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

GK
Bentley & O'Leary
DEF
MID
FWD

I don't think it's the worst base to build on, nor is it the best, and as you mentioned we wont be signing 12 players to replace those leaving. 5 or 6 decent additions is probably a minimum requirement though when you look at that squad

Of the young 'uns I think Towler will be in the squad and Edwards/Pearson/Bell all loaned out. I also think Moore will be gone and if he can get rid, Nagy will be on his bike too. Not sure about Bakinson but I get the impression he is the NP bad books right now. You look at that squad and it screams to me that quality in all areas is required which is why I think we will be looking at around 6 players and not a dozen.

11 hours ago, RedRock said:

Highly likely that if SL had stumped up for Maguire and Gray we’d be playing in the Prem under Cotts right now. FF’s rush of blood vs Wolves also a sliding doors moment.

Can’t help but feel that the seasons since promotion have been a waste of time on the pitch, and the horse trading has left us with an inferior squad (just look at the players we had now playing at higher levels). Beating Man U has not made up for all this.

Last chance for SL to put this right by appointing and backing Pearson.

23 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

Highly likely that if SL had stumped up for Maguire and Gray we’d be playing in the Prem under Cotts right now. FF’s rush of blood vs Wolves also a sliding doors moment.

Can’t help but feel that the seasons since promotion have been a waste of time on the pitch, and the horse trading has left us with an inferior squad (just look at the players we had now playing at higher levels). Beating Man U has not made up for all this.

Last chance for SL to put this right by appointing and backing Pearson.

Too many variables to be able to say that, but I get your point.

I agree that Lansdown needs to appoint and back Pearson though - especially if Pearson wants his own backroom staff bought in. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

In an ideal world, I'd probably look to move on the bolded players above. I'm not completely sold on Vyner but think he's worth sticking with. I think Palmer hasn't shown his ability consistently enough, but could be persuaded on him. 

Palmer & Wells have done ok under Pearson imo. If NP is kept on I'd have no issue with either of them staying. Wells got a bad attitude tag from nowhere but I think he's one of our harder workers despite being played out of position. 

I'd move Moore on definitely, don't think he's up to standard. Martin is bloody slow & never really looks like scoring, wouldn't miss him if he went. 

I don't like O'Dowda since refusing to sign an extension & only signing once the window was closed. Left a sour taste in the mouth for me.

That said he's looked alright when playing this season, i'm not sure he'll ever get you many assists or goals though, maybe one that NP could work on and improve if he's got the qualities many seem to think he possesses. If a half decent bid came in I'd be happy to let him go. 

19 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Ref the last para, a lot has changed in the world during the last 12 months. A year ago the concept of working from home and conducting business meetings by zoom would have been laughable. Now big business (far bigger than Bristol City) operate like that and make mega buck decisions via remote conferences. I’m not sure what SL expects to get from a face-to-face personal meeting. Is he planning to be some sort of mystic who stares at NP and says “look into my eyes.......”. 

The big issue is time. The planning for next season needs to start now, not in a few weeks. Should SL have his  look into my eyes meeting with NP and either party decides to go their separate ways then the whole manager / coach recruitment process starts again. How long would it take and who would we get?  

Very disrespectful not to meet NP yet or even fix a date.

My guess if has been convinced by Ashton to "wait and see" hoping NP will walk and he can employ yet another yes man. Do we really think a football man like NP could work under a toad like Ashton?

10 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

GK
Bentley & O'Leary
DEF
MID
FWD

I fully expect Bentley and semenyo to be sold in the summer

Going to be difficult to move players on, if they're on decent wages here and there is a big deflationary effect in the Championship.

This will have its positives too of course, in terms of lower wages for Championship players, able to command less or relatively less, players clubs want to keep might have to take less or face some time out.

As for Pearson, offer him a 3-4 year deal now IMO.

7 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

UK is in lock down but you can still travel for work

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

But Lansdown couldn’t leave Guernsey to travel here or visa versa ?

That's the odd thing about it. It would have been justified - especially as Lansdown has access to private planes if necessary. I don't think the Guernsey 'lockdown' excuse holds much water really because I think if he really wanted to he could've made it happen. 

18 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the odd thing about it. It would have been justified - especially as Lansdown has access to private planes if necessary. I don't think the Guernsey 'lockdown' excuse holds much water really because I think if he really wanted to he could've made it happen. 

`Billionaire football club owner uses private jet to flaunt lockdown rules and meet prospective manager` ain`t a good look though.

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

`Billionaire football club owner uses private jet to flaunt lockdown rules and meet prospective manager` ain`t a good look though.

Is it breaking rules though? He'd have a genuine business justification given his role at the club. I think it would've been justified really.

'Billionaire football club owner putting his staff on furlough (through public funds) and making many redundant' wasn't a good look either, but he still did it. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Is it breaking rules though? He'd have a genuine business justification given his role at the club. I think it would've been justified really.

'Billionaire football club owner putting his staff on furlough (through public funds) and making many redundant' wasn't a good look either, but he still did it. 

It`s the Guernsey side of things that are the problem though and that`s where the rules would be broken.

Archived