IGNORED

Player power

Shuffle

10 hours ago, RedRock said:

The challenge for us is to build a team that is better than the sum of its parts. 

We have a bunch of useless, injury-prone, highly-paid, self-important players who regard themselves as legends in their own time and have no concept of working as a team to achieve anything. 

NP could recruit a collection of players from the National League and build a more successful unit in the Championship than the collection of disinterested ‘talented’ individuals we have at present. 

Spot on!!

The problem with players is they can play the role of the tail wagging the dog, but if some of them lose their employment at BCFC then they lose all of the benefits too (Good salaries, nice ground at Ashton Gate, top grade training facilities and a nice place to live).  What do they move to next?  probably something less salubrious.  Then what, they get mentally pi**ed off and become mercenary and start to ruin their short careers.

If they are stupid enough to act in this way, any player at any club, then they deserve to have their contracts cancelled or on expiry, be released by their clubs. It is long due that an owner supported a Manager and made the players pay for their actions, where it is understood that this is what they are doing.

3 hours ago, cityfan said:

The problem with players is they can play the role of the tail wagging the dog, but if some of them lose their employment at BCFC then they lose all of the benefits too (Good salaries, nice ground at Ashton Gate, top grade training facilities and a nice place to live).  What do they move to next?  probably something less salubrious.  Then what, they get mentally pi**ed off and become mercenary and start to ruin their short careers.

If they are stupid enough to act in this way, any player at any club, then they deserve to have their contracts cancelled or on expiry, be released by their clubs. It is long due that an owner supported a Manager and made the players pay for their actions, where it is understood that this is what they are doing.

It's almost impossible for your Utopia of the Owner supporting the Manager and booting out the failing players to occur..................except here and now at BCFC where we have 17 of them out of contract. What you say is correct, we have a bunch of players who are literally taking their Covid-proof job for granted (yet I read posts about the long, traumatic season they've had causing them to lose self belief and confidence.....all this when some of them are on over £20K per week) but the problem is many of them haven't thought it through. Let's be fair, getting released by Bristol City is not a great career move for most players. One or two will do alright out of it and the rest who are probably "followers" of the ringleaders in the group will most likely be regretting their choices in a couple of years when the decent wages, lovely facilities, decent hotel stay the day before away matches, nice City to live is replaced by some cesspit where their club expects them to graft hard on a local park that had to be cleared of dog-shit before training started, where they have a 14 hour same-day round trip away from home six times per season and where they are on a third of the money they are earning now at best. That said I do wonder whether some of them will be too stupid and self obsessed to even notice.........

On 05/04/2021 at 21:23, Moments of Pleasure said:

What you're seeing is drift, aimlessness. From the top. Drift and lack of "been there, done that" at this level. Steve needs an "investment" of ideas.

We are an aimless ship bobbing, drifting, about on the ocean with a leak at the stern.

It’s on the bridge where the real problems lie.  The unholy trinity ofSL JL & MA.

On 05/04/2021 at 20:21, bris red said:

I doubt Pearson is the most popular amongst our players and that comes as no surprise, this current crop like many other crops we have had are used to the cushti relaxed atmosphere that this football club is known for and I’m sure the vast majority of the OOC mob were looking to casually coast out these last few weeks putting in minimal effort.
In comes Pearson a manager who is demanding performances and with no guarantee of a contract offer at the end many of them (who are probably being advised by agents to do so by the way) have downed tools. Its a sorry state of affairs to be honest.

Interesting that Massengo and KP who looked totally disinterested under DH now look like the only ones with motivation. Perhaps they are not part of the BCFC lets keep it comfy cliche

Really Clutton? I though Massengo made more useless passes on Saturday than he ever did under a previous coach and clearly NP didnt fancy KP enough to start on Saturday, unless he was looking at as many players as possible to then (post-match) write them off as not having the correct attitude.

It is hard to know if he has already 'lost the dressing room' and if so whether than is a good thing or a disastrous thing; suppose it depends on when we get the required necessary points and who values staying next season to play under NP if he is offered the job. I always think with short -term contracts they work both ways, in this case for the club to look at Pearson (results poor so far) and Pearson to look at the club and it's bosses (he must know how big the job could be now)

Too early to call IMO

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

It's almost impossible for your Utopia of the Owner supporting the Manager and booting out the failing players to occur..................except here and now at BCFC where we have 17 of them out of contract. What you say is correct, we have a bunch of players who are literally taking their Covid-proof job for granted (yet I read posts about the long, traumatic season they've had causing them to lose self belief and confidence.....all this when some of them are on over £20K per week) but the problem is many of them haven't thought it through. Let's be fair, getting released by Bristol City is not a great career move for most players. One or two will do alright out of it and the rest who are probably "followers" of the ringleaders in the group will most likely be regretting their choices in a couple of years when the decent wages, lovely facilities, decent hotel stay the day before away matches, nice City to live is replaced by some cesspit where their club expects them to graft hard on a local park that had to be cleared of dog-shit before training started, where they have a 14 hour same-day round trip away from home six times per season and where they are on a third of the money they are earning now at best. That said I do wonder whether some of them will be too stupid and self obsessed to even notice.........

Yep, reckon there’ll be a massive wake up call coming to a lot of occ players this summer. They’ll be sat on their arses expecting their agents to find them another juicy club to screw over and then realise there’s nothing doing, due to the huge glut of players on offer.

I’ll have no sympathy for the ones who’ve taken us for a ride, if they’re still out of work  this time next year.

**** em!

5 hours ago, cityfan said:

Exactly this. How many of the 12 ooc players will be playing at a higher level , or in better conditions than City next season. None.

15 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Yep, reckon there’ll be a massive wake up call coming to a lot of occ players this summer. They’ll be sat on their arses expecting their agents to find them another juicy club to screw over and then realise there’s nothing doing, due to the huge glut of players on offer.

I’ll have no sympathy for the ones who’ve taken us for a ride, if they’re still out of work  this time next year.

**** em!

The last time Ashton deigned to speak to us he suggested that this had already happened with Mariappa last summer. Not so much in that he was being greedy, but that he and his agent had possibly misjudged the market when he was originally released by Watford and found that clubs weren't paying the sort of money that he might have got at the same time the year before.

18 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

The last time Ashton deigned to speak to us he suggested that this had already happened with Mariappa last summer. Not so much in that he was being greedy, but that he and his agent had possibly misjudged the market when he was originally released by Watford and found that clubs weren't paying the sort of money that he might have got at the same time the year before.

Good to hear that NR

I’ve got no problem with players earning a decent living, but I think most would agree things have got totally out of hand now with players’ salaries and they need a reality check.

Jimmy Hill has a lot to answer for!

On 05/04/2021 at 20:21, bris red said:

I doubt Pearson is the most popular amongst our players and that comes as no surprise, this current crop like many other crops we have had are used to the cushti relaxed atmosphere that this football club is known for and I’m sure the vast majority of the OOC mob were looking to casually coast out these last few weeks putting in minimal effort.
In comes Pearson a manager who is demanding performances and with no guarantee of a contract offer at the end many of them (who are probably being advised by agents to do so by the way) have downed tools. Its a sorry state of affairs to be honest.

Football has to be the only industry where you can play crap, sometimes play well but usually crap, and still get a new club at the end of your contract.

If I was as lazy in my job as some of these players are in theirs, number 1 I'd have a school falling down around my ears, but number 2 I would never get another job doing what I do at another school, as my name would be mud (and I wouldn't get a decent reference either!!)

It's quite refreshing when you hear managers (ex usually) say I never signed so and so because he's lazy, or his reputation wasn't a good fit. It's also rare, but there we go.

I'd hedge a bet that if any potential new manager for one of the out of contract players spoke to Pearson and asked him his opinion on them, in the majority of cases the answer would be don't sign them!

That, is quite telling. 

If player power wins and SL decides not to keep NP for next season SL always has the out going manager in his office to thank them for what they have done wish them the best of luck and ask them where the club could improve, Do people think SL would have NP in for a chat because they could be there for a while or would SL not want to hear the truth. 

Archived