IGNORED

The Chris Hughton Time Machine

mozo

The Chris Hughton Time Machine  

291 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It took Hughton a while to get going at Forest but he has steered them away from the drop zone to within a single point of us. Chances are that he'll get the last laugh over Lansdown. 

But would we be higher up the league had we appointed him, and more importantly, would he have been the better long term option? Or are we ultimately in the safest hands regardless of what has happened this season?

Pearson in the summer or Hughton in the summer? Pearson for me.

Pearson or Hughton to get us our of our current mess? Pearson again.

Hughton in the summer (and no Holden), or Holden in the summer and Pearson now? Now that's a tough one. I genuinely don't know - perhaps leaning slightly Pearson again but I'm really not sure.

2 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I can remember some wallies on here comparing him and Holden. Hughton was the right fit last summer. Pearson will eventually be the right call if backed properly both on and off the field. Time will tell. We’ve effectively wasted 12 months. This has been done to death though. 

Yeah it has been done to death, but I'm interested to see the response to the hypothetical, because I genuinely don't know what I would do. Probably go with Hughton at the expense of missing out on watching Big Nige trying not to blow a gasket in the post match interviews!

Clearly Hughton (or anyone) would also have found this a tough gig, but he would at least have had pre-season, Glenn Murray and maybe another signing or two that didn't include Brunt, Lansbury or Simpson.

I’d be more interested in using the time machine to see how this season plays out under LJ. Consensus is now that this is a bottom 6 ish squad. He had us in mid table, with an eye on the play offs...

Food for thought.

3 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I’d be more interested in using the time machine to see how this season plays out under LJ. Consensus is now that this is a bottom 6 ish squad. He had us in mid table, with an eye on the play offs...

Food for thought.

Again, a tricky one, but I doubt many would have selected the option of retract Lee Johnson's sacking.

Hughton was the stand out candidate at the time and i felt that it was a no brainer that he should and would be appointed. But it wasnt to be and it doesnt matter why now. I'm sure he'll do well enough at Forest. 

I was suprised and delighted when NP was appointed. I'm still quite suprised that he's here, although given the results thus far, not quite as delighted. 

That said, I would still prefer him to be here next season. I don't think he fits our club's DNA and is probably not a good human sometimes. Thank goodness.

Had we appointed Hughton in the summer with a summer window to start with (unlike what he got at Forest), then I don’t think we’d even be talking about Pearson.

But I’m really glad Pearson is here....just worried (knee jerk) that it might not last that long.

I voted Hughton because - although I'm happy with Pearson here - I never wanted us to get to this desperate situation. 

I think Hughton would have steered the ship more wisely. Taken a strategic approach. Built on existing positives and seen where the weak points were.

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I voted Hughton because - although I'm happy with Pearson here - I never wanted us to get to this desperate situation. 

I think Hughton would have steered the ship more wisely. Taken a strategic approach. Built on existing positives and seen where the weak points were.

Hughton is less likely to explode than Pearson who has already proved somewhat prickly in his interviews.

I just hope that the real Pearson show gets on the road next season because I have to confess that I am disappointed with what I am seeing at the moment and ultimately the buck stops with the boss. 

I didn’t expect miracles but we all thought that a well respected experienced manager would get a tune out of our talented squad regardless of the difficult circumstances.

We don’t look any better than we did under Holden.

Hughton over Holden was a no-brainer to almost everyone concerned last summer. We missed that boat, Hughton is proving yet again what he offers at this level and now have Pearson, who is exactly what we need — someone to drag the club by the bootstraps and break up this cosy, soft culture we’ve had for far too long. 

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Had we appointed Hughton in the summer with a summer window to start with (unlike what he got at Forest), then I don’t think we’d even be talking about Pearson.

But I’m really glad Pearson is here....just worried (knee jerk) that it might not last that long.

Inside info Dave ???

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I genuinely wonder what Watford fans think in hindsight.

Chris Hughton would have been an ideal appointment - but on reflection it would only have worked if the owner had bought into reconstructing the club around him. Appointing Holden was almost inexplicable - although I appreciate the efforts of the Lansdown loyalists to find a logic where none existed.

Both Hughton and Pearson have impressive records of taking middling clubs to the next level, but the cultural shifts required off the pitch seem beyond the Lansdowns. The Lansdown era will be remembered for the delivery of infrastructure projects. On the pitch things don't appear a great deal better than when SL took the reigns a couple of decades ago.

26 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Hughton is less likely to explode than Pearson who has already proved somewhat prickly in his interviews.

I just hope that the real Pearson show gets on the road next season because I have to confess that I am disappointed with what I am seeing at the moment and ultimately the buck stops with the boss. 

I didn’t expect miracles but we all thought that a well respected experienced manager would get a tune out of our talented squad regardless of the difficult circumstances.

We don’t look any better than we did under Holden.

Agree. I’m not too concerned yet but it does all have a faint whiff of Steve Coppell about it ? ? 

Hope I’m completely wrong obviously 

Wasn't one of the reasons for Hughtons non appointment (often stated on here), the fact he wanted to rip everyting up and start again? It looks as though NP is of a similar opinion.

2 'been there and done it' managers who could/can see the issues at the club. I just hope, for once in his almost quarter of a century ownership, SL has the inclination to let NP get on with it.

Appoint the man now.

For what it's worth, Hughton had a similarly ropey start at Forest as Pearson has had here with minimal obvious improvement and after 10 games or so there was a minority wanting him gone.

Like us, they have a bloated squad with a load of deadwood that needs shifting.

These things take time to fix. Not enough people understand this.

I think Forest have gone through around 20 managers since they were last in the top flight, if it doesn't work out with Hughton who has done well with a few clubs then I find it difficult to put the blame all on him.

I wanted Hughton at the time because he is a proven manager at this level, we have that with Pearson too so either way I'm not too bothered because they are both the type of Manager that the board should have been chasing. It was probably the uncertainty of covid and the previous season being postponed that made the board not want to invest in Hughton, the timing was unfortunate.

9 hours ago, Leveller said:

Just noticed a poll on the Forest forum with 86% in favour of sacking him now.

Did we dodge a bullet?

We’ll never know but he’s deeply unpopular with their support & they say the football is dire.

Archived