IGNORED

The Chris Hughton Time Machine

mozo

The Chris Hughton Time Machine  

291 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Never in favour of Hughton coming here.

He was about 3rd on my list at the time - really didn't see him as being a good fit.

A duff season inbetween but really glad we ended up with NP, the right man in the end imo.

Agreed.

We didn't have a strong array of options last summer from memory. 

I'd have been happy with Hughton but not exactly enthused. I think fans of this club (in general) prefer more energetic and passionate managers than Hughton. In recent times I think the managers who've inspired the fans most have been Gary Johnson and Cotterill. Both were energetic and passionate. Obviously it helped that both achieved success here.

Hughton seems more like an O'Driscoll type to me. He'd have been a pragmatic and fairly sensible appointment at the time though so I can see why he was an option. I never considered Pearson as a serious option really - thought he'd be out of our league and a bit too boisterous for our board's tastes. Really happy we've got him now though, was a very welcome surprise. 

I'm wondering how different things could've been if we had CH instead of DH, maybe MA would still be in the job? Maybe there would've been less injuries? We could be Forest fans now screaming for him to be sacked and oh how we should've got Nige in. Interesting point for discussion.

When we had the option of CH or DH I was absolutely screaming for it not to be Dean, we all knew it was a bad call. It's a weird thing to say but we should've gone for CH at that time but maybe it was better in the long run that we got Nige. 

I've given up on 'wanting' a certain manager, as my preference seems to have to sway with the Board. That said;

Holden Vs Hughton , no brainer. Was actually quite excited at the prospect of an experienced man in the job. The situation we were in an experienced manager would have been the obvious choice. I would have expected him to be better than Holden, having been there and done it previously. The state we were in whoever took over had a massive job, Holden had next to no chance in his first job.

Post Holden was even worse, if that was possible, and a slightly different job. We were probably in credit with transfer fees, but loan fee and wages must have been high and by the end of Holden we had had about a year without income. Add about 12 players due to be OOC , the injury mess and seemingly a farce of a medical staff and it wasn't the best job to step into.
Received wisdom was Hughton liked to build his own squad, even that he may have said as much in the interview, that he wanted a complete rebuild. Who knows. It would make sense of appointing Holden though.

By the time Holden left, offered CH or NP, I'd have taken Nige.

9 minutes ago, Sturny said:

I'm wondering how different things could've been if we had CH instead of DH, maybe MA would still be in the job? Maybe there would've been less injuries? We could be Forest fans now screaming for him to be sacked and oh how we should've got Nige in. Interesting point for discussion.

When we had the option of CH or DH I was absolutely screaming for it not to be Dean, we all knew it was a bad call. It's a weird thing to say but we should've gone for CH at that time but maybe it was better in the long run that we got Nige. 

I think Ashton would've gone to Ipswich regardless. It's probably a more lucrative role for him and he had been doing the groundwork with the American backers for some time. It was probably in the works in some form even whilst Johnson was here.

I think you're probably right that in the long run it'll work out for the best. I think we ended up with the best option by accident rather than design though. 

Why can't I vote yes Hughton would have given us the best chance of success (over Holden) but I'm happy with Pearson?

Didn't realise this was an older thread, also didn't realise how poorly Forest had started this season

That said, I wanted Hughton at the time, and I wanted Pearson at the time he was appointed so my answer is still valid I guess

We should all know by now our fanbase hasn't got a clue (including me). These are a few I can thing about! 

• Fans wanted Steve Coppell - Failure
  • Fans said "no thanks" to Wilbs - Success 
  • Fans not convinced by Cotterill - Success 
  • Fans wanted Palmer - Failure 
  • Fans didn't want LJ - Success (stats say he was one of our most successful managers of all time)
  • Fans didn't want John Ward - Success 

And their are many more!  Basically SL, just do the opposite to what we say as a fanbase and we will get success!!! haha

*Just a bit of fun before people get all upset. 

2 hours ago, AshtonYate said:

We should all know by now our fanbase hasn't got a clue (including me). These are a few I can thing about! 

• Fans didn't want LJ - Success (stats say he was one of our most successful managers of all time)

And their are many more!  Basically SL, just do the opposite to what we say as a fanbase and we will get success!!! haha

And the fans wanted Tomlin to be signed permanently after his loan deal! 

2 hours ago, AshtonYate said:

Obviously it's a bit silly to group all fans views as there's going to be a variation within that. It's an interesting point you're making though.

I've had a go at whether I feel the consensus was favourable at the time and whether fans' views were then vindicated. As a bit of a disclaimer, to do this at such a simplistic level you have to ignore the context of their time managing (transfer budgets, other mitigating factors ie Covid) which I've done here. I've basically done it as whether the club was in a better position when they left.

• Pearson - Favourable - TBC
  • Holden - Unfavourable - Failure
  • Johnson - Unfavourable - Success
  • Cotterill - Unfavourable - Success
  • O'Driscoll - Favourable - Failure
  • McInnes - Favourable - Failure
  • Millen - Unfavourable - Failure
  • Johnson - Favourable - Success

Interestingly then, going by this pretty reductive interpretation, the only time the fan choice has been successful in recentish times was Gary Johnson back in 05'. 

3 hours ago, Sturny said:

Maybe it was NP that the club/SL wanted when LJ was sacked.

Unfortunately, he had a bad covid experience while all the "deliberations" were going on so it ruled him out at that time.

For me, DH was a stop gap until NP was well enough to take the reigns. It would have been interesting if DH had made a fist of it and we were doing ok though.

Just a theory rather than an opinion.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously it's a bit silly to group all fans views as there's going to be a variation within that. It's an interesting point you're making though.

I've had a go at whether I feel the consensus was favourable at the time and whether fans' views were then vindicated. As a bit of a disclaimer, to do this at such a simplistic level you have to ignore the context of their time managing (transfer budgets, other mitigating factors ie Covid) which I've done here. I've basically done it as whether the club was in a better position when they left.

• Pearson - Favourable - TBC
  • Holden - Unfavourable - Failure
  • Johnson - Unfavourable - Success
  • Cotterill - Unfavourable - Success
  • O'Driscoll - Favourable - Failure
  • McInnes - Favourable - Failure
  • Millen - Unfavourable - Failure
  • Johnson - Favourable - Success

Interestingly then, going by this pretty reductive interpretation, the only time the fan choice has been successful in recentish times was Gary Johnson back in 05'. 

Just wonder on what basis Holden is judged a failure?  In the top ten of all-time City managers based on win percentage, despite the worst injury list of all time.  Just saying like…

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Just wonder on what basis Holden is judged a failure?  In the top ten of all-time City managers based on win percentage, despite the worst injury list of all time.  Just saying like…

Being sacked after only 8 months in charge doesn’t scream success.

23 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not getting into debate re success / failure, but I don’t like Win percentage.  Points per game is fairer imho.

P10 W5 L5 - win 50% ppg 1.5

P10 W3 D6 L1 - win 30% ppg 1.5

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Interesting point but I think he was a failure based on how quickly and dramatically we declined under him.

Under his stewardship he managed us into becoming an almost farcical shambles of a side. We were getting battered each week, not even marginally. Watford away was perhaps the most incompetent performance in modern memory - from Towler at left-back and Moore at left centre-half, to a half-fit Lansbury letting blokes run by him.

Dean started with luck and goodwill and quickly found his ability level. Should never have been appointed.

If you look at virtually any manager's record there are hits and misses.   Pearson was great at Leicester, decent at Hull but couldn't turn around Southampton and Derby's fortunes - and wasn't given enough time.

It's pretty obvious why this happens. The individual circumstances at each club differ. When a new manager is appointed the "deck of card" he inherits varies wildly. 

If Hughton does not succeed at Forest, it doesn't mean he's suddenly become a crap manager.  He inherited a basket case. But like Pearson he has notable successes in his CV. He's also mid-rebuild. 

I was hugely disappointed when we picked Holden instead of CH. it felt like a huge step backwards.

I feel we have wasted time.

Pearson is fine by me though and I back CH to get Forest going again. It is very, very early in the season and teams are trying to gel whilst their managers search for the winning formula.

People don’t do patience any more. 

On 18/08/2021 at 23:36, Leveller said:

Just noticed a poll on the Forest forum with 86% in favour of sacking him now.

Did we dodge a bullet?

No. Hughton has turned Forest's fortunes around.

They were hopeless and desperate when he joined.

Now they're desperate and hopeless.

36 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Hughton rumoured to be off this week. Maybe not the messiah so many on here pronounced him as being 

Who would swap him with Nigel?

He’s a good manager with a good track record over the years.  In many respects he’s suffering from trying to downsize a bloated squad, a bit like us, and hasn’t been able to recruit this summer.  He joined last summer after the window closed and hasn’t paid one fee yet (I think), so hands tied.  Did a reasonable just last season under circumstances.

I wouldn’t swap him for Nige now, had they both been available last summer, it would’ve been a tough choice, but Nige would’ve got the nod.

But very easy to sit here today and make statements like that without context isn’t it?

54 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Hughton rumoured to be off this week. Maybe not the messiah so many on here pronounced him as being 

Who would swap him with Nigel?

Nigel has hardly set the world on fire. We’ve been terrible since took over, but then who’s to say anybody would do any better. Do I want Nigel sacked? No, because the he needs time and I think slowly we are improving. Should CH get sacked? No, probably not as his managerial record so far suggests he will get them heading in the right direction

Archived