IGNORED

Team Of Strangers...

Lew-T

That’s my take on it. You look at Coventry today, you can see they were a well drilled ‘team’. Even the likes of Rotherham have put us to shame, you could see they worked for eachother in the games against us. Barnsley, Blackburn, Preston etc all the same.

I don’t see that with this City side. There is no game plan, no urgency, no spirit. They all look completely deflated and it’s been the case all season. I don’t see players there working for eachother, or the occasional slap on the backside of encouragement, or advice of tactics to one another.

I don’t see any of that. They all look lost...

24 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

That’s my take on it. You look at Coventry today, you can see they were a well drilled ‘team’. Even the likes of Rotherham have put us to shame, you could see they worked for eachother in the games against us. Barnsley, Blackburn, Preston etc all the same.

I don’t see that with this City side. There is no game plan, no urgency, no spirit. They all look completely deflated and it’s been the case all season. I don’t see players there working for eachother, or the occasional slap on the backside of encouragement, or advice of tactics to one another.

There probably is a game plan. Just the players aren’t playing to it 

54 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

So many things wrong out there today.  Appetite to work hard for each other is one of them.

As threatening as Semenyo was (well, almost threatening), his hugging of the touch line, gave McCallum a simpler afternoon, meant little threat to the side CBs, who could deal with Diedhiou in numbers, not that he was much of a nuisance.

You've got to move your man around, if only to give Simpson a different option.  On the other side Wells comes off the line, gets across the 6 yard box, give defenders different problems.  All my previous concerns about the 4231 where the outside players stay wide was borne out by Semenyo today.  Not being too critical, because he put in a shift, looked to be our best hope of an attack.  But two games running he’s come up against quick LWBs (Norrington Davies and McCallum) and had tough afternoons.  Needs more to his game and some of that is just drag your player inside, to create space for someone else, or pose a problem for the side CB, which he did when he ran round the back to cross for Wells.  Weimann called that on Robinstv.

Got to say, I’ve seen McCallum 4 times now, and been very impressed.  Started at Cov, sold and loaned back by Norwich.

Back to Semenyo, who we know is raw and talented.  Who is telling him to change up his game.  Who’s telling him off for running away from the passer, rather than coming short to give an easier pass?

We have been a team of individuals since we broke up the 352 after Weimann and Paterson got injured.  The patterns are non-existent.  Occasionally the individuals turned it on and we got results.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So many things wrong out there today.  Appetite to work hard for each other is one of them.

As threatening as Semenyo was (well, almost threatening), his hugging of the touch line, gave McCallum a simpler afternoon, meant little threat to the side CBs, who could deal with Diedhiou in numbers, not that he was much of a nuisance.

You've got to move your man around, if only to give Simpson a different option.  On the other side Wells comes off the line, gets across the 6 yard box, give defenders different problems.  All my previous concerns about the 4231 where the outside players stay wide was borne out by Semenyo today.  Not being too critical, because he put in a shift, looked to be our best hope of an attack.  But two games running he’s come up against quick LWBs (Norrington Davies and McCallum) and had tough afternoons.  Needs more to his game and some of that is just drag your player inside, to create space for someone else, or pose a problem for the side CB, which he did when he ran round the back to cross for Wells.  Weimann called that on Robinstv.

Got to say, I’ve seen McCallum 4 times now, and been very impressed.  Started at Cov, sold and loaned back by Norwich.

Back to Semenyo, who we know is raw and talented.  Who is telling him to change up his game.  Who’s telling him off for running away from the passer, rather than coming short to give an easier pass?

We have been a team of individuals since we broke up the 352 after Weimann and Paterson got injured.  The patterns are non-existent.  Occasionally the individuals turned it on and we got results.

Interesting take on Semenyo Dave. I am getting a little short on patience with him. At 22 next birthday, I am unsure how much longer the “raw” tag can be on him.

I actually think he is worryingly ragged in his work when you consider his first-team experience and exposure at this level.

21 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Interesting take on Semenyo Dave. I am getting a little short on patience with him. At 22 next birthday, I am unsure how much longer the “raw” tag can be on him.

I actually think he is worryingly ragged in his work when you consider his first-team experience and exposure at this level.

I’m just fed up of slagging off Nagy and Diedhiou, so thought I’d give a critique of Antoine....areas to work on.

I have plenty of patience for him.  He’s raw.  He was only 21 recently, has some talent, but needs to learn some basics, whilst retaining the spontaneity.  On the transfer sub-forum, I’m not in the £10m+ camp like some, but there’s something explosive about him.  Needs to play more inside without necessarily being a striker.  Needs to roam in those pockets like Tomas Muller or Dirk Kuyt did.

NP saw the worst of AN today.  I was surprised he let him get to half-time!

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m just fed up of slagging off Nagy and Diedhiou, so thought I’d give a critique of Antoine....areas to work on.

I have plenty of patience for him.  He’s raw.  He was only 21 recently, has some talent, but needs to learn some basics, whilst retaining the spontaneity.  On the transfer sub-forum, I’m not in the £10m+ camp like some, but there’s something explosive about him.  Needs to play more inside without necessarily being a striker.  Needs to roam in those pockets like Tomas Muller or Dirk Kuyt did.

NP saw the worst of AN today.  I was surprised he let him get to half-time!

Fair but not sure any of us know what he is if that makes sense, not a centre-foward, not a winger, not an inside-forward (for the reasons you have laid out in your original post).

I think thats the frustration for me, he is explosive, physically strong, quick, seems like he can go off either foot, but so wasteful: has all the attributes but it just seems messy.

Also, gives away an increasing number of silly free-kicks and I have noticed a really annoying trait of poor weight of pass creeping in to his game.

I like him but has to start delivering or a few million quid to re-invest seems appealing.

We have only won 3 matches where the opposition has taken the lead first all season.

As a team the players not only lack belief in themselves, but also their trust in the players around them to be able to turn a negative situation into a positive one.

As soon as we fall behind you can see players looking to get rid of the hot potato (the ball). They look to play the easy sideways and backwards ball unless pressed by the opposition when a little look up results in a team of static players failing to create space to receive the ball. At this point the ball is either hit long and hopeful or (as in Tommy Rowe’s case yesterday) they decide to play it backwards, get caught out and punished.

Professional players know their jobs, but in an underperforming team they are required to put in extra work, move out of their comfort position to accommodate weaknesses in other areas and consume more energy.

Would anybody in any job be happy to take on someone else’s work for the same money and then potentially set themselves up to be told that they are useless or that they don’t produce enough? Of course not.

Our squad is an unbalanced one. Players of differing quality. Some are good enough and some aren’t for whatever reason (Abilty, Experience, Age).

Until we get a team on the pitch of Championship quality throughout we will continue to see the same inconsistencies. We can blame experienced individuals for not doing enough when the reality is that some around them simply aren’t good enough.

It’s more than just DNA, it’s about balance, the old ‘spine of a team’ analogy. We have lacked balance for a long time and we certainly don’t have Championship strength in depth. If we are serious about reaching the Premier League we need this and it won’t come cheap.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Paying for his two matches for Hungary and the traveling perhaps ? 

Or not got the heart for a fight?  There was a 5 second spell yesterday where he lost 3 bouncing-ball challenges one after the other because he thought he might get a whack.  He lets others dictate him physically.

I’ve never seen a player at this level so attracted to running towards the ball and completely ignoring the man he’s marking (supposed to be marking) or where the danger is.  Poor Vyner yesterday trying to pick up two players because of Nagy’s ill-discipline.

I feel sorry for him in some ways.  I might be wrong but I don’t see him as a “mixer with the lads” either, and he looked like a little boy lost out there yesterday (not for the first time).

14 hours ago, Lew-T said:

really good point. mapps sessegnon lansbury( don't get me started) aren't ours, fams off and the rest look like they've never met and can't wait for the hols. 

How's this for my least popular post ever...

In the players' defence... ?

It was a pretty random line up.

Our left side comprised of a right back and a striker, both in my opinion not in their best positions. Then our right back was a veteran that hasn't played a competitive game for bloody ages.

Our midfield included Nagy coming back from a spell out injured, and Vyner who again is playing out of position (and it showed).

The only one in midfield that has a run of games under his belt is a 19 year old.

Diedhiou and Mariappa have no excuse but we all know that when a player isn't committed to the club long term, motivation is harder to come by.

I'm not excusing the sheer ineptitude of our play, but that line up will always have a big disadvantage against an opposition that knows their jobs, knows each other and has a common long term objective.

Archived