IGNORED

Who deserves to be here?

Suffolk Red

Yesterday’s abject performance was very depressing. A cocktail of ineptitude, poor decision making, lack of confidence and lack of effort. 

Out of yesterday’s team there are a few players who put the effort in, even if there are mistakes/poor decisions at times - Massengo, Semenyo, Vyner, Palmer, Bentley, Kalas. 

Experienced players who should be better at the basics - Mariappa, Wells, Rowe, Simpson (albeit he is rusty). Rowe has limitations but at least he’s been an honest pro for us. But we need to upgrade. Wells took his goal clinically but looks lost out wide and his demeanour hasn’t helped fans warm to him. 

Sessegnon who has been in and out of the team and presumably won’t be here next season. 

Lansbury who has been unfit and/or going through the motions. 

Diedhiou who did nothing and has been poor for ages. 

Nagy who for an international player looked awful.

That leaves players injured/ dropped. 

Weimann - we’ve missed his energy and effort. 

Pato - inconsistent.

COD - has potential but only shows it in glimpses. Not good enough.

Baker - solid CB but injury prone.

Dasilva - good player, but injury prone.

Walsh - has potential but hasn’t played much.

Williams - I don’t know much about him, but he has a good reputation.

Hunt - average player, upgrade needed.

Not sure where I’m going with all of that other than we lack leaders and that an overhaul is needed. What a mess. At least the number of OOC players gives us scope to freshen things up.

2 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

From my perspective.

Bentley Kalas Vyner Dasilva Bakinson Massengo Williams Walsh

Semenyo Paterson Weimann.

+ Younger players as yet untried.

That's about it.

O'Dowda and Palmer at a push!

O'Leary tbf should be added and, at a guess the above would not be too far off the list of players that NP would keep if appointed permanently. Walsh and Paterson might be treading on thin ice though. All we hear about Walsh is how good he is..........I wouldn't mind seeing it one day.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

From my perspective.

That's about it.

No more than Bentley and Kalas for me, the others are too hit and miss, and more often miss

We actually have a chance to build a side this summer, unlike the usual four transfer windows, we HAVE to get this right otherwise we are going to spend more year peeing money up the wall

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

O'Leary tbf should be added and, at a guess the above would not be too far off the list of players that NP would keep if appointed permanently. Walsh and Paterson might be treading on thin ice though. All we hear about Walsh is how good he is..........I wouldn't mind seeing it one day.

O’Leary is a cert, never lets us down.

Too true about Walsh, **** me, 1 start in 40 & yet some on here still think he’s the next Brownhill.

Just now, GrahamC said:

O’Leary is a cert, never lets us down.

Too true about Walsh, **** me, 1 start in 40 & yet some on here still think he’s the next Brownhill.

I've never heard of a player so lauded by reputation only before. He has literally done nothing for us, has not performed at Championship level etc. etc. He might be the player we have been missing but not if he spends 6 months every season on the sodding treatment table he won't!!  

1 minute ago, Fammyfan said:

I’d add Nagy to that list. He hasn’t been great recently but for much of the season he’s been one of our better performers and has covered so much ground.

Interesting because I think, after yesterday, Nagy is done here. He does the cover the ground but his passing range is barely up to professional standard tbh.

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting because I think, after yesterday, Nagy is done here. He does the cover the ground but his passing range is barely up to professional standard tbh.

Me too.

Nagy seems fundamentally unsuited to British football, he is lightweight & struggles with the physicality of it.

He is under contract for 21/22, but as he will be involved in the Euros I’d be very surprised if we don’t try to move him on.

1 minute ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I wouldn't be that bothered if Kalas went tbh. 

Since he signed permanently he's had a handful of standout performances but overall consistently no where near the level he should be.

Got to be the quietest, least like a leader player I've ever seen as well. 

I was having this conversation with my lad. The single most important signing we need is a LEADER on the pitch. It doesn't even need to be a great player.....just someone who the other players will listen to. Kalas is anything but a leader unfortunately AND would be a far better player for having the responsibility of running such an on-field shit show removed from his shoulders.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I was having this conversation with my lad. The single most important signing we need is a LEADER on the pitch. It doesn't even need to be a great player.....just someone who the other players will listen to. Kalas is anything but a leader unfortunately AND would be a far better player for having the responsibility of running such an on-field shit show removed from his shoulders.

Spot on. 

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

1 minute ago, hollydog said:

Spot on. 

I don't think I have ever seen Kalas communicate to a teammate on the pitch let alone 'direct' them in any way.

At least someone like Flint was vocal and actually pushed his teammates where they needed to be when defending a set piece for example.

29 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I just wonder whether we should have rested Nagy yesterday he had just played two international matches where he is the lynchpin and gives his all. 

3 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

From my perspective.

That's about it.

From your list in my view only Massengo and the young players deserve to be here. 

Normally I would add in Bentley and Kalas but I even have my doubts on them after yesterday.

I think some of these OOC players have shown how much they care about the club. I get a short career and all that but to give up on a club that has paid you very well and believed in you for the last 2-5 seasons is wrong. I think a large portion of the OOC don’t deserve to be here. 

As for next season, I don’t think we have many if any players who wouldn’t try. It has been a tough year with covid, a third manager and a lot of uncertainty around the entire game really. So I can excuse some poor form. Nagy for example was real poor yesterday but I don’t think it was a conscious decision to not have a go. Whereas it looks like Diedhiou has already signed with his next club and is in play it out with minimal risk. 

I’d probably bring Weimann and Paterson back. I think Walsh is going but would discuss a new deal if he wanted to stay.

Bentley, O’Leary, Vyner, Kalas, Moore, Dasilva, Massengo, Bakinson, Williams, Nagy, Semenyo, COD, Palmer and Wells is a decent base to start with. Add some of the best academy products around the first team and I think we can have ok depth. That is if we sign the 4-5 high quality starting players we desperately need. 

I am open to selling some players to add funds. Bentley, Massengo and Semenyo could have decent value. Wells, COD and Nagy I am not sure we’d get decent value for but if so would be open to it. Not all 6 of them but maybe 2-3. 

Players like Moore and Bakinson are not ready yet but I’d keep them around because they are better squad options than some of the youth. They need to fight for their spots. Would not be loaning them out next season. 

I was wondering who deserves to use the new high performance centre. I would take most of the team up to the Downs. Jumpers for goal posts, by your own grub from a local shop and have a shower when they get home. They do not deserve to use  the top of the range facilities until they start caring for the shirt.

1 hour ago, Fammyfan said:

I’d add Nagy to that list. He hasn’t been great recently but for much of the season he’s been one of our better performers and has covered so much ground.

Really? I hope he is one of the first out of the door. Truly dreadful player.

What concerns me about a total clear out is not the fact of getting rid of players, but actually bringing in players who will actually be successful.

You can guarantee that we won't get all of the 1st choice transfers that we want, plus we need to work on the basis that only (licks finger in the air) 60% of the new recruits will be any good!

Without being too morbid, it's like we've lost our entire team in a plane crash and we need to rebuild from scratch!

4 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

From my perspective.

That's about it.

I think Williams, Walsh and Dasilva only get on the list because they haven't been playing. It's always the same when we go on a bad run. 'If only x was fit, can' t wait for them to come back and we can kick on'. Then said players come back and make little difference. 

I wouldn't be bothered if Walsh goes as he's contributed nothing in his time here. The other two are under contract and so likely to be here regardless. Can't see bids for them given they've missed almost a whole season injured. 

O'Dowda, Palmer, Wells, Moore are all still in contract.  Weimann has a 1 year option.

In the unlikely event someone comes in for any of these, due to our profligacy through dolling out fat contracts under Lee Johnson they aren't going to get better elsewhere - so like it or not we are stuck with them.

4 hours ago, Suffolk Red said:

He has been really good in some games and still has potential to devlope further. 

You could argue some of those early season performance that look like they will keep us in league were driven by TB. We've seen what he can do. Surely better to get that out of him than throw him on scrap heap. And tough for inexperienced players to thrive given what is going on around them at the minute.

16 minutes ago, AG City said:

O'Dowda, Palmer, Wells, Moore are all still in contract.  Weimann has a 1 year option.

In the unlikely event someone comes in for any of these, due to our profligacy through dolling out fat contracts under Lee Johnson they aren't going to get better elsewhere - so like it or not we are stuck with them.

Moore is a relatively straightforward one. Season long loan to League 1 (Moore will want to maintain his Championship wages for one last season) with pre-agreed knock down fee option to buy thrown in (or higher loan fee with no transfer fee). Whoever is prepared to pay the fee gets the loan. Effectively gone, never to be seen again. The others are a bit more complicated and I don't see more than 1-2 of them being shown the door.

I dont think next season is going to be the season we would like it to be  or hope it it going to be. i see only a season of virtually starting again.

12 or so players out of contract, who it seems by all the comments on here, not too many would be worried if they all left to ply their trades somewhere else.

If Nige stays, and i am not too sure he will, who is he going to sign to replace the leavers?  Is he qualified to sign players that we can afford and are good

enough to get us where we want to be.He wont be able to go out and pay 5 million quid for every player he might want to sign.

With our track record, plus the current financial situation within the game, does Nige have sufficient knowledge of the kind of player that we usually sign and

are not going to cost big bucks.

We are in a very difficult climate to be trying to recruit 10 ish good enough players at the right price, unless all the other teams realise the financial situation

and all of a sudden the transfer market is flooded with loads of top class players at knock down prices, which is what we must be hoping for.

Am i being too pessimistic or not?

Archived