IGNORED

Who deserves to be here?

Suffolk Red

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I don't think I have ever seen Kalas communicate to a teammate on the pitch let alone 'direct' them in any way.

At least someone like Flint was vocal and actually pushed his teammates where they needed to be when defending a set piece for example.

Agreed. Actually you need more than one “leader” in the same team. Pack, Smith and Wilbraham all did their bit in the promotion season.

3 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I don't think I have ever seen Kalas communicate to a teammate on the pitch let alone 'direct' them in any way.

At least someone like Flint was vocal and actually pushed his teammates where they needed to be when defending a set piece for example.

He did give Famara a talking to when he was in danger of getting sent off yesterday. But I do agree we need more vocal and dare I say "nasty" players, and not just for the armband.

21 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The whole squad really is a mess.

It's so bad a player like Marlon Pack would walk in and be the best player in the squad.

I think you do a disservice to Marlon who was a good player for the club and showed passion when playing for us.

Who would I keep?

Bentley (but wouldn’t mind if he was sold)

O’Leary

JD (If fit)

Kalas (not as captain)

Vyner (squad player)

HNM (squad player)

Williams

Walsh (only if committed to a new contract)

Semenyo 

COD

Wells (possibly)

Most of the youngsters who have been in and around the team need to go out on loan as nowhere near Championship standard. Worth keeping Bakinson as might improve and keep in the club those who are realistically ready to be in and around the squad.

If possible get shot of all the remainder of the senior players (incl Weinman, Palmer, Martin, Nagy, Moore) which might be easier said than done for those under contract but all those out of contract can go except possibly Walsh.

Assuming those on the list stay then we need

2 right full backs

1 left full back

2/3 centre backs

1 (nasty) centre defensive midfielder

2 wide midfielders 

3 strikers

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think some of these OOC players have shown how much they care about the club. I get a short career and all that but to give up on a club that has paid you very well and believed in you for the last 2-5 seasons is wrong. I think a large portion of the OOC don’t deserve to be here. 

As for next season, I don’t think we have many if any players who wouldn’t try. It has been a tough year with covid, a third manager and a lot of uncertainty around the entire game really. So I can excuse some poor form. Nagy for example was real poor yesterday but I don’t think it was a conscious decision to not have a go. Whereas it looks like Diedhiou has already signed with his next club and is in play it out with minimal risk. 

I’d probably bring Weimann and Paterson back. I think Walsh is going but would discuss a new deal if he wanted to stay.

Bentley, O’Leary, Vyner, Kalas, Moore, Dasilva, Massengo, Bakinson, Williams, Nagy, Semenyo, COD, Palmer and Wells is a decent base to start with. Add some of the best academy products around the first team and I think we can have ok depth. That is if we sign the 4-5 high quality starting players we desperately need. 

I am open to selling some players to add funds. Bentley, Massengo and Semenyo could have decent value. Wells, COD and Nagy I am not sure we’d get decent value for but if so would be open to it. Not all 6 of them but maybe 2-3. 

Players like Moore and Bakinson are not ready yet but I’d keep them around because they are better squad options than some of the youth. They need to fight for their spots. Would not be loaning them out next season. 

Nor would I. They need to go permanently. 

If all the players had the attitude of Moore, we would be in a good place. But he is a liability on the pitch. How many more years are we going to send him out on loan while waiting for him to 'develop'?

As for Bakinson, I personally have never rated him. And his attitude and lack of application has seen him hauled off in recent weeks. Unless he suddenly reappears in the side in the next few games, which I doubt, I think he has cooked his goose under Pearson.

38 minutes ago, hollydog said:

Agreed. Actually you need more than one “leader” in the same team. Pack, Smith and Wilbraham all did their bit in the promotion season.

Agreed. The Jehova's Witness style "don't want him at the club he threw a stone at the Youth Club window when he was 12 so he is working class scum" recruitment policy so lauded on by many on here won't get you anywhere. Sometimes winners and leaders are not overly pleasant people in some respects of their life but, as with many things in life, you need that balance of different styles and characters to build the best mix in order to achieve what you are setting out to do. All the trash talk about DNA by Ashton, about "every player in that squad could go out with my Daughter" by Johnson etc. etc. is actually holding us back. We are now left with a lovely set of lads.....................except they aren't as lovely as you thought, Mark, are they? They are sulky and lazy and want to decide when to play and when to turn it in. That lack of basic character and winning mentality wasn't evident in their DNA profile was it, Ashton, you ******* clown?

How about we sign people on with the right "football personalities" first and foremost? Whether they helped an Old Granny with her shopping two months ago is, I'm sorry to offend a large number of perfect, respectable people we have supporting us who will be appalled by my statement, absolutely and utterly irrelevant to whether or not they have the talent and the simple ******* bollocks to go out at 3pm on a professional football pitch at Championship level on a Saturday afternoon when it's pissing down with rain, it's freezing and the opposition, who don't give a shit about DNA, have been told to kick them up in the air to stop them playing and still be able to get over all that and both WANT TO and are able to produce...........that's what we need, not some nice but dim lazy ***** who gave a lovely donation to the soup kitchen but when all's said and done is jogging around up doing **** all up front when he should be sprinting around and making a difference.

11 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

I think you do a disservice to Marlon who was a good player for the club and showed passion when playing for us.

I completely agree, my intention wasn't to knock Marlon but to highlight how poor we have become, that players who we have let go are miles better than what we've been left with/brought in.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed. The Jehova's Witness style "don't want him at the club he threw a stone at the Youth Club window when he was 12 so he is working class scum" recruitment policy so lauded on by many on here won't get you anywhere. Sometimes winners and leaders are not overly pleasant people in some respects of their life but, as with many things in life, you need that balance of different styles and characters to build the best mix in order to achieve what you are setting out to do. All the trash talk about DNA by Ashton, about "every player in that squad could go out with my Daughter" by Johnson etc. etc. is actually holding us back. We are now left with a lovely set of lads.....................except they aren't as lovely as you thought, Mark, are they? They are sulky and lazy and want to decide when to play and when to turn it in. That lack of basic character and winning mentality wasn't evident in their DNA profile was it, Ashton, you ******* clown?

How about we sign people on with the right "football personalities" first and foremost? Whether they helped an Old Granny with her shopping two months ago is, I'm sorry to offend a large number of perfect, respectable people we have supporting us who will be appalled by my statement, absolutely and utterly irrelevant to whether or not they have the talent and the simple ******* bollocks to go out at 3pm on a professional football pitch at Championship level on a Saturday afternoon when it's pissing down with rain, it's freezing and the opposition, who don't give a shit about DNA, have been told to kick them up in the air to stop them playing and still be able to get over all that and both WANT and are able to produce...........that's what we need, not some nice but dim lazy ***** who gave a lovely donation to the soup kitchen but when all's said and done is jogging around up doing **** all up front when he should be sprinting around and making a difference.

Made me laugh, but so true.

Impeach Donald Trump GIF by Creative Courage

We have a dodgey defence a powder puff midfield and non existant strike threat, we need a serious beef up in all areas. First, money in the kitty players; Kalas is about the best we have any offer for him however and he would be gone , Bents as well could go and probably will if any offer comes in for him as we have a ready made replacement.

The rest at least 90% can go tomorrow and we need much better recruiting, so Ashton can clear his desk as well......(that should pay for all the recruits) New build required from the foundations up.

4 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I wouldn't be that bothered if Kalas went tbh. 

Since he signed permanently he's had a handful of standout performances but overall consistently no where near the level he should be.

Got to be the quietest, least like a leader player I've ever seen as well. 

I think Kalas needs another commanding CB next to him to shine to be honest which considering we paid £8 mill for him is not good enough in my opinion. I think in reality Chelsea had our pants down with the fee we paid.

I think, regarding our activity in the transfer market over the last few years, we are at an impasse. Its NP, with full backing to completely reshape the squad, probably resulting in big changes elsewhere OR it's NP out and revert to type. The former would require at least a couple of seasons to look progressive, cause a lot of upheaval and probably quite a lot of money. The latter will most probably look like the last few years have been - which is not necessarily all bad.

Either way, the pivotal person will be SL. I know what I'd like to see, but it's not me who would be having to make some tough calls and/or plough even more of my money into the club. 

23 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I think, regarding our activity in the transfer market over the last few years, we are at an impasse. Its NP, with full backing to completely reshape the squad, probably resulting in big changes elsewhere OR it's NP out and revert to type. The former would require at least a couple of seasons to look progressive, cause a lot of upheaval and probably quite a lot of money. The latter will most probably look like the last few years have been - which is not necessarily all bad.

Either way, the pivotal person will be SL. I know what I'd like to see, but it's not me who would be having to make some tough calls and/or plough even more of my money into the club. 

sl caused this mess with MA and LJ. you cant be a prem hopeful  with league one/ lower end championships players and managers, hes got the proper manager interested now but needs to give him the tools to do his job. if he cant do that, the prem will have to wait an awful lot longer

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

Nor would I. They need to go permanently. 

If all the players had the attitude of Moore, we would be in a good place. But he is a liability on the pitch. How many more years are we going to send him out on loan while waiting for him to 'develop'?

As for Bakinson, I personally have never rated him. And his attitude and lack of application has seen him hauled off in recent weeks. Unless he suddenly reappears in the side in the next few games, which I doubt, I think he has cooked his goose under Pearson.

Yea but it isn’t a case of just ship them off. For who? Who replaces them? Are the replacements better? If so, are they happy playing a lesser role? 

Moore has mistakes in him 100% but he has also been part of clean sheets and good team performances. I am not saying keep him in hopes he develops. He is an upper L1 to bottom 6 championship CB. He may get better but more importantly there is not much of a market for a player like that. No point in taking a nominal fee and being left short at CB. If we want rid, no harm in having his character around until his contract expires. 

As for Bakinson, there is far too much talent there to give up on. Again, there won’t be a queue looking to buy him. He has improved massively over the last 18 months. There may be some character issues here but if NP is staying, I’d bet on him to turn that around. I have seen in other posts you talk about leaders and I agree. A few of the types you mention around him I think helps too. Worth persevering with anyway. 

Again not saying they are integral starters. Just that they are players who are cheap, still trying to forge careers for themselves and have some experience. That is worthy of a bench spot for them. Especially in a side that could lack numbers come July 1st. 

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Me too.

Nagy seems fundamentally unsuited to British football, he is lightweight & struggles with the physicality of it.

He is under contract for 21/22, but as he will be involved in the Euros I’d be very surprised if we don’t try to move him on.

I totally agree with this summary of Nagy. I've said before that he doesn't excel at any of the key parts of being a top central midfielder. The only thing i would say in his favour is that he always appears to give his all, which is more than can be said for a lot of the others!

4 hours ago, bris red said:

I think Kalas needs another commanding CB next to him to shine to be honest which considering we paid £8 mill for him is not good enough in my opinion. I think in reality Chelsea had our pants down with the fee we paid.

I agree with this 100% too. Kalas is not an imposing first ball centre back and needs a Baker, Flint or Webster type alongside him in my opinion.

I believe he played a lot of his early career as a right back and i can understand why.

He's a decent Champ defender but i think Chelsea got a couple of million too much out of us!

7 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I agree with this 100% too. Kalas is not an imposing first ball centre back and needs a Baker, Flint or Webster type alongside him in my opinion.

I believe he played a lot of his early career as a right back and i can understand why.

He's a decent Champ defender but i think Chelsea got a couple of million too much out of us!

Maybe but I think he is better in a sweep up role which can be valuable. We have seen him look real classy in that role actually. It isn’t hard to find another defender who can take over the role of aggressive ball winner especially in the air. So we probably overpaid but it wasn’t a poor transfer. Just need to rectify the situation by getting a more traditional bigger lad in imo. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Maybe but I think he is better in a sweep up role which can be valuable. We have seen him look real classy in that role actually. It isn’t hard to find another defender who can take over the role of aggressive ball winner especially in the air. So we probably overpaid but it wasn’t a poor transfer. Just need to rectify the situation by getting a more traditional bigger lad in imo. 

I agree Joe... i like Kalas but think he's been hung out to dry a bit this season. Pairing him with Moore, Vyner or Mariappa doesn't play to his strengths.

A physical left sided centre back is probably the most important signing we need to make this summer.

19 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think some of these OOC players have shown how much they care about the club. I get a short career and all that but to give up on a club that has paid you very well and believed in you for the last 2-5 seasons is wrong. I think a large portion of the OOC don’t deserve to be here. 

As for next season, I don’t think we have many if any players who wouldn’t try. It has been a tough year with covid, a third manager and a lot of uncertainty around the entire game really. So I can excuse some poor form. Nagy for example was real poor yesterday but I don’t think it was a conscious decision to not have a go. Whereas it looks like Diedhiou has already signed with his next club and is in play it out with minimal risk. 

I’d probably bring Weimann and Paterson back. I think Walsh is going but would discuss a new deal if he wanted to stay.

Bentley, O’Leary, Vyner, Kalas, Moore, Dasilva, Massengo, Bakinson, Williams, Nagy, Semenyo, COD, Palmer and Wells is a decent base to start with. Add some of the best academy products around the first team and I think we can have ok depth. That is if we sign the 4-5 high quality starting players we desperately need. 

I am open to selling some players to add funds. Bentley, Massengo and Semenyo could have decent value. Wells, COD and Nagy I am not sure we’d get decent value for but if so would be open to it. Not all 6 of them but maybe 2-3. 

Players like Moore and Bakinson are not ready yet but I’d keep them around because they are better squad options than some of the youth. They need to fight for their spots. Would not be loaning them out next season. 

No players care about the club they care about there futures.  

16 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Who would I keep?

Bentley (but wouldn’t mind if he was sold)

O’Leary

JD (If fit)

Kalas (not as captain)

Vyner (squad player)

HNM (squad player)

Williams

Walsh (only if committed to a new contract)

Semenyo 

COD

Wells (possibly)

Most of the youngsters who have been in and around the team need to go out on loan as nowhere near Championship standard. Worth keeping Bakinson as might improve and keep in the club those who are realistically ready to be in and around the squad.

If possible get shot of all the remainder of the senior players (incl Weinman, Palmer, Martin, Nagy, Moore) which might be easier said than done for those under contract but all those out of contract can go except possibly Walsh.

Assuming those on the list stay then we need

2 right full backs

1 left full back

2/3 centre backs

1 (nasty) centre defensive midfielder

2 wide midfielders 

3 strikers

Walsh, He’s not even played enough games, he’s not proven at this level. When fit, when will that be?  Sounds like he’s got long term injury problems, why take the risk?

11 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Walsh, He’s not even played enough games, he’s not proven at this level. When fit, when will that be?  Sounds like he’s got long term injury problems, why take the risk?

If you're talking about long term injuries, or further injury problems after players seemingly being recovered, being a reason to give up on players like Walsh then this season alone you'd have to put Williams, Baker, Dasilva, Paterson and O'Dowda in the same category. Weimann may yet become another as further issues returning from such a long lay off are likely.

Walsh has now become a divisive player among the fans. Some of us rate him very highly and would persevere with him. Others either don't rate him, or realise his qualities but their frustration over his unavailability means they just want him gone.

There is nothing to say any of the 6 players mentioned have either career ending injuries or injuries that will reoccur once the initial ones are properly diagnosed and sorted out.

So would Walsh be a first choice player who would make a positive difference if fully fit, which he should be by August? I believe so, others clearly don't - it would be interesting to know NP's view.

Certainly the Coventry fan guesting on OSIB could not have been more gushing in his praise - L1 level it may have been, but an utterly outstanding player at that level, at his age, is exactly the sort of player City will be looking for. The Coventry fan would certainly have him back tomorrow to play in their Championship team.

Ideally, imo., Walsh and Williams will both be here, and fully fit, to start the season in August. If so, I can see Williams being a major contender to take the armband from the unsuitable Kalas and he and Walsh combining to become mainstays of a vastly improved City midfield.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If you're talking about long term injuries, or further injury problems after players seemingly being recovered, being a reason to give up on players like Walsh then this season alone you'd have to put Williams, Baker, Dasilva, Paterson and O'Dowda in the same category. Weimann may yet become another as further issues returning from such a long lay off are likely.

Walsh has now become a divisive player among the fans. Some of us rate him very highly and would persevere with him. Others either don't rate him, or realise his qualities but their frustration over his unavailability means they just want him gone.

There is nothing to say any of the 6 players mentioned have either career ending injuries or injuries that will reoccur once the initial ones are properly diagnosed and sorted out.

So would Walsh be a first choice player who would make a positive difference if fully fit, which he should be by August? I believe so, others clearly don't - it would be interesting to know NP's view.

Certainly the Coventry fan guesting on OSIB could not have been more gushing in his praise - L1 level it may have been, but an utterly outstanding player at that level, at his age, is exactly the sort of player City will be looking for. The Coventry fan would certainly have him back tomorrow to play in their Championship team.

Ideally, imo., Walsh and Williams will both be here, and fully fit, to start the season in August. If so, I can see Williams being a major contender to take the armband from the unsuitable Kalas and he and Walsh combining to become mainstays of a vastly improved City midfield.

I hope you are wrong as I think we need a NEW Captain from outside of the building.......a proper Captain in every sense of the word not the "least rubbish" person for the job that is currently here shoehorned into the position.

17 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The whole squad really is a mess.

It's so bad a player like Marlon Pack would walk in and be the best player in the squad.

Pack was an excellent player, always gave 100% and was sold for a massive profit. Happy to have more like him.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I hope you are wrong as I think we need a NEW Captain from outside of the building.......a proper Captain in every sense of the word not the "least rubbish" person for the job that is currently here shoehorned into the position.

A 'major contender' from the players already here - if we can sign an experienced proven leader, so much the better.

I don't think of Williams as the being the 'least rubbish' though - he seems to be of the right character to me.

He is basically from outside the building, barely played, so he'll be like a new signing himself next season.

On 06/04/2021 at 12:02, OneTeamInBristol said:

I wouldn't be that bothered if Kalas went tbh. 

Since he signed permanently he's had a handful of standout performances but overall consistently no where near the level he should be.

Got to be the quietest, least like a leader player I've ever seen as well. 

Wow can't believe you wouldn't mind losing a player of his class- maybe not captain material but a great player for me.

Archived