IGNORED

Ray Atteveld

headhunter

Why, you might ask, am I mentioning this guy who signed for City in March 92 for £250k [a lot of money back then] from Everton and played a grand total of just 14 games?

On his debut the Dutchman made a back pass that I have not seen the likes of since from a City player to set up an opposition goal chance until yesterday - Tommy Rowe ..... hold your head in shame!!! If ever there was evidence of a player not focused enough to realize that a 60 yard back pass from within the opposition half was high risk this was it. But then, what does he care. He's out of contract in the summer and has zero prospect of getting a new one here.

If you want to hear a real moan fest listen to this recording of yesterday's Forever Bristol City Podcast: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-ugkhd-ffd8cf 

Wade Elliott did it v MK Dons, but it was a sign of the determination of the players Cotterill signed that he was so desperate to make up for it he basically drove through their whole side to score the winner in that game.

18 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Wade Elliott did it v MK Dons, but it was a sign of the determination of the players Cotterill signed that he was so desperate to make up for it he basically drove through their whole side to score the winner in that game.

Indeed. What a difference in the application shown by that team and what we've got now. Worlds apart.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Why, you might ask, am I mentioning this guy who signed for City in March 92 for £250k [a lot of money back then] from Everton and played a grand total of just 14 games?

On his debut the Dutchman made a back pass that I have not seen the likes of since from a City player to set up an opposition goal chance until yesterday - Tommy Rowe ..... hold your head in shame!!! If ever there was evidence of a player not focused enough to realize that a 60 yard back pass from within the opposition half was high risk this was it. But then, what does he care. He's out of contract in the summer and has zero prospect of getting a new one here.

If you want to hear a real moan fest listen to this recording of yesterday's Forever Bristol City Podcast: https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-ugkhd-ffd8cf 

Tommy Rowe was mentioned very positively by NP last week.  But I imagine his time here is coming to an end.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

I see your Wade Elliott vs MK Dons and raise you David Howells back pass vs Birmingham (that Trevor Francis / Mike Dean match) which handed them the winner in a match they scarcely deserved to even draw.

During the 90s I was obliged to spend a night or so most weeks in Heerlen, Limburg. Post 94, when drinking in my regular bar of choice, I lost count of the number of free drinks bought me by Roda JC supporters who couldn't believe 'my club' had stupidly gifted them the Deus that was Ray Atteveld. The bloke who far from being the joke many City fans considered, was the player who propelled perennial also-rans Roda to runners up in Eredivisie, narrowly losing the title to Ajax after both had nearly gone unbeaten all season. The bloke who was rated the best midfielder in Eredivisie that year by his fellows pros and media. The bloke who kept Roda from bankruptcy when sold for a princely sum to their richer, arch-rivals Vitesse.

12 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

During the 90s I was obliged to spend a night or so most weeks in Heerlen, Limburg. Post 94, when drinking in my regular bar of choice, I lost count of the number of free drinks bought me by Roda JC supporters who couldn't believe 'my club' had stupidly gifted them the Deus that was Ray Atteveld. The bloke who far from being the joke many City fans considered, was the player who propelled perennial also-rans Roda to runners up in Eredivisie, narrowly losing the title to Ajax after both had nearly gone unbeaten all season. The bloke who was rated the best midfielder in Eredivisie that year by his fellows pros and media. The bloke who kept Roda from bankruptcy when sold for a princely sum to their richer, arch-rivals Vitesse.

Yet another player who didn’t fulfill expectations for some unknown reason.

Ian says near the end he doesn't foresee City getting any more points this season.

Not an entirely unreasonable projection based on the last couple of performances.

Let's hope not.

If NP has now evaluated his squad to be largely consisting of namby - pamby disinterested non triers, beyond redemption, and has reached a similar conclusion about our prospects, I can see him upping sticks and getting the hell out of this s***show - maybe even this week, before it damages his own career.

Again, let's hope not.

Archived