IGNORED

Ipswich Takeover Complete. What does this mean for us?

headhunter

28 minutes ago, M.D said:

This has whats struck me too, maybe SL knew this was happening so is starting to move in a different direction and NP is the start of the rebuild, I would expect Walsh to join soon after..

If that was the case surely he would have met the bloke by now. He had the chance to state his plans during the last interview and only said he is considering his exit strategy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56662790

So in a nutshell, we know that Ipswich Town FC has been sold to a bunch of yanks, a bloke called O’Leary (who has worked with MA at WBA and Oxford United) is appointed as Chairman and is quoted as saying an English CEO will be appointed.
We now need to simply sit tight and see if MA is that CEO.

If so OTIB will erupt and SL will be without his main man.

Is that pretty much where we are? 

Just now, downendcity said:

Have to say that your latest graphics software isn't as good as the previous one Dave.

You don't have to look too closely to see the scissor marks where Dave has cut the faces out of the Bristol Post and glued them on the image on his screen, photographed it and posted it on here!

3 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56662790

So in a nutshell, we know that Ipswich Town FC has been sold to a bunch of yanks, a bloke called O’Leary (who has worked with MA at WBA and Oxford United) is appointed as Chairman and is quoted as saying an English CEO will be appointed.
We now need to simply sit tight and see if MA is that CEO.

If so OTIB will erupt and SL will be without his main man.

Is that pretty much where we are? 

That’s appears to be a good summary.

Personally I haven’t got a clue what’s going on, what exactly Mark Ashton does (good or bad) who’s actually in charge off if the field and what are plan is. 

I almost would be happy to bury my hand in the sand and see what it all looks like in August.

How brave ?!

4 hours ago, Olé said:

If Ashton hasn't gone to Ipswich by the time of Steve's trip over from Guernsey we should put their meetings on Robins TV like the final episode of the Apprentice. "Mark, it is with regret, you're fired."

"Nigel, you are hired."

In fact we could even organise for the out of contract players to try and make ice lollies or produce an advert for cat food, so that Steve can fire the lot of them before he goes back to Lulsgate too.

"Mark, it gives me immense pleasure to inform you, you're fired."

2 hours ago, Daniro said:

"not endear him to fans with the decision to appoint the inexpensive Dean Holden over more established figures such as Chris Hughton and Paul Cook, now Ipswich manager"

I love that the Post calls Holden "experienced"?!?   must be a typo??

Sorted

22 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

If that was the case surely he would have met the bloke by now. He had the chance to state his plans during the last interview and only said he is considering his exit strategy

maybe SL is letting the Ipswich takeover take place and waiting to announce things once thats all finalised he can hardly start announcing things before all thats taken place can he?

1 hour ago, Southend Blue said:

We knew something was on the cards for some time but the announcement was only made today.    A lot of fans here have been in the dark as to the nature of what to expect or when some kind of confirmation would arrive.    I've been reading up on all manner of pages the last hour, TWTD, BBC Sport ITFC, Tractors Boys.com, even the Pink Un Norwich City message board to gain opinion, it's still relatively early and a lot to take in.

Why the hell this didn't come to practice before now is a mystery.   These American owners we're looking at, I don't think it's a name for everyone and people may be getting ahead of themselves (just overriding relief that Evans has sold up) but since 2007 we've had the latter name and despite putting money in to the club he never provided money to spend on the team at least nowhere near enough for us to be competitive and only seemed to speak out or show himself when the team were at or near a crisis level.   His intentions may have been good and been successful in other business ventures he had but regards ownership of a football team was totally adrift of reality.

Funny old game, few days ago one of the worst instances of sport with a  0 - 0  with Rochdale,  messing up again a chance of a promotion and now this.   Seems to arrive (the takeover deal) at an inappropriate time in that's it too late for a promotion bid so guess it's planning now for next season.    Got to look on the bright side though.    Few weeks ago we had Paul Lambert and Evans appeared to be going nowhere, now it's a new manager and ownership we're looking at.

Paul Cook our manager has struggled to make an impact since coming in, results and performances have been really no better than Lambert and one or two were even suggesting an exit so soon after coming in but today's news has to be encouraging.    I didn't really want American owners particularly ones I don't know enough about.    40 years back the Cobbolds (our then chairman and owners) put together a team, manager and club set-up that could rightfully boast to be on the verge of Europe's greatest but the fall since then has been colossal.

There was talk today of restoring us to former glories from the ownership pairings but not sure quite what standard they had in mind for that.  What we did and achieved under Bobby Robson can never be repeated.   All I ask is make the team competitive once again, provide money for decent players and at least have a bit more ambition than Evans could have attempted.     I'm not asking for an instant return to the premier league or European adventures once again - that's just fantasy land to the realists - I just want some pride and excitement restored to the club name after years and years or stagnant waste and misadventure.     Got to go now.  

Good luck is all us city fans can say

26 minutes ago, 054123 said:

That’s appears to be a good summary.

Personally I haven’t got a clue what’s going on, what exactly Mark Ashton does (good or bad) who’s actually in charge off if the field and what are plan is. 

I almost would be happy to bury my hand in the sand and see what it all looks like in August.

How brave ?!

It was you all along!

Ostrich GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Scudamore just feels more like a Chairman or a NED than a CEO. I know nothing about what may have gone on behind closed doors, but it feels like maybe Scudamore as a NED plus a younger DOF. Sack off the whole CEO position entirely.

We touted Scudamore on a couple of episodes of the FBC Podcast some weeks ago.

He [Scud] could fill the role of Exec Chairman 2 days per week, Pearson could be Director of Football and then Craig Shakespeare might be tempted away from his Assistant Head Coach role at Villa to be Head Coach here. Steve Walsh could be in charge of recruitment. The remaining admin stuff that makes up the balance of Ashton's role could be handled by an Operations Manager type who would report in to Mark Kelly of Bristol Sport. Sadly I would be suggesting saying adios to Downing & Simpson and maybe bring Kevin Phillips in as a forward coach? Simples!!!!

Just now, headhunter said:

He [Scud] could fill the role of Exec Chairman 2 days per week, Pearson could be Director of Football and then Craig Shakespeare might be tempted away from his Assistant Head Coach role at Villa to be Head Coach here. Steve Walsh could be in charge of recruitment. The remaining admin stuff that makes up the balance of Ashton's role could be handled by an Operations Manager type who would report in to Mark Kelly of Bristol Sport. Sadly I would be suggesting saying adios to Downing & Simpson and maybe bring Kevin Phillips in as a forward coach? Simples!!!!

You could probably bring in Kevin Phillips here as defensive coach and get an improvement....

1 hour ago, Southend Blue said:

There was talk today of restoring us to former glories from the ownership pairings but not sure quite what standard they had in mind for that.  What we did and achieved under Bobby Robson can never be repeated.   

Or under Alf Ramsey, for that matter.

But more to the point, your long post makes no reference to why there might be a thread on a Bristol City forum about new owners at Ipswich Town.

So I wouldn't start celebrating today's news too much, just yet, if I was in your shoes. 

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

That is a lot of cooks in the kitchen, especially when you add in Jon and Steve...although I guess the whole "outside investment" line maybe suggests a diminished role for those two in the long term future. Regardless, in the short-term that is a lot of people, many doing roles that, as I understand, they have either not done before or have little experience doing. I know that most of those you name have previously worked successfully together, but it feels like trying out new people in new roles...and they're all old mates...which is pretty similar to what a lot of people complained about re LJ, albeit with "proper football men" that some might want to go for a pint with down the 3 Lions. I'd be sceptical if it shook out as you describe.

I'm not saying it's not possible, and perhaps a whole-sale restructuring of the board and management is what is needed, but it would be a big risk.

59 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

You don't have to look too closely to see the scissor marks where Dave has cut the faces out of the Bristol Post and glued them on the image on his screen, photographed it and posted it on here!

Either that or he’s gone back to using  photoshop on his ZX Spectrum!

Just now, ExiledAjax said:

That is a lot of cooks in the kitchen, especially when you add in Jon and Steve...although I guess the whole "outside investment" line maybe suggests a diminished role for those two in the long term future. Regardless, in the short-term that is a lot of people, many doing roles that, as I understand, they have either not done before or have little experience doing. I know that most of those you name have previously worked successfully together, but it feels like trying out new people in new roles...and they're all old mates...which is pretty similar to what a lot of people complained about re LJ, albeit with "proper football men" that some might want to go for a pint with down the 3 Lions. I'd be sceptical if it shook out as you describe.

I'm not saying it's not possible, and perhaps a whole-sale restructuring of the board and management is what is needed, but it would be a big risk.

I am assuming JL is out of it in any executive fashion and SL too other than having final sign off on any expenditure.

This is what the set up currently is: Ashton, Werhun [Ops], Pearson, Downing, Simpson, Cisse, Gilmartin, Mountain. [8]

Come August [slight change on my initial post] : Scudamore, Pearson, Shakespeare, Walsh, Mountain [GK coach], a.n.other [admin] 6

Messrs. Weimann & Martin were co-opted on to coaching duties last week [Weimann said on Robins TV] so still being under contract they can have player / coach duties.

I assume Werhun would be off to Ipswich [he's related to Ashton isn't he?]

Archived