IGNORED

Are we coming up to a seismic time for the club?

downendcity

And Merrick marvel cant even remember us winning the League 1 Championship. A bit out of her depth on this topic me thinks

With the only news in the paper being vax, i guess its natural that the 50 or so City fans who come on here provide some entertainment for the 30,000 who just stay sane and wait for SL to do what he does best; run a business better than anyone else; both in Finance and also in Football. He may read the comments by some on here for a laugh but has anyone tried being successful in a business, Sugar, Branson, Musk etc without any idea of future incomes (crowds etc)? People who criticise SL for his running of BCFC really do belong on here and not in the ground when it opens up in August.

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Which is why we would all be mad to renew until at least some of this current nonsense is resolved.

I did smile to myself when I saw one of the dates announced on Robins TV on Saturday was one whereby you would “lose your seat” if you didn’t renew your ST by then.

I mean in a ground where unless we are playing Man Utd it is never actually full anyway, there will be hundreds during the uncertainty of a pandemic who will really want to take my seat from me, won’t there?

The lose your seat date is May 4th. SL has a month to sort things out and that should be more than enough time.  I can’t see a huge amount of tickets sold before then (I know I’ll be holding back on principle) unless an appointment is made. They simply cannot afford to mess around for six weeks like last Summer.

22 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

And Merrick marvel cant even remember us winning the League 1 Championship. A bit out of her depth on this topic me thinks

With the only news in the paper being vax, i guess its natural that the 50 or so City fans who come on here provide some entertainment for the 30,000 who just stay sane and wait for SL to do what he does best; run a business better than anyone else; both in Finance and also in Football. He may read the comments by some on here for a laugh but has anyone tried being successful in a business, Sugar, Branson, Musk etc without any idea of future incomes (crowds etc)? People who criticise SL for his running of BCFC really do belong on here and not in the ground when it opens up in August.

Probably because we didnt as it didnt exist then, however we did come 2nd in the 2nd Div to Sunderland in 75/76 and went up to the 1st div with WBA leaving the likes of Chelsea, Fulham, Southampton and the Gas in the 2nd div, on the pitch in front of the Williams with Dicks and his super team in the stand. Things didnt go great after that and we have since been trying to reach the top league failing so far.

Not about BCFC so much now more of SL`s dream of the all powerfull Bristol Sport we are part of something else.

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

if the new investors are to include a new ceo, on a big scale, it could be why the players dont give a hoot knowing they arent good enough for whats around the corner and arent going to feature.  SL couldnt do it bournemouths way ,maybe hes going to try the leicester way instead?

Am possibly missing something, but what's the comparison to Bournemouth?

Certainly could be heading for a defining period though. So many out of contract, a disappointing, injury ravaged season on the pitch, awaiting a new manager- Pearson hopefully, on a 3-4 year deal and a free hand (subject to finance).

Back him to the maximum possible financially and give him strong autonomy with both the squad and the team behind the team, ie medical staff etc.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Which is why we would all be mad to renew until at least some of this current nonsense is resolved.

I did smile to myself when I saw one of the dates announced on Robins TV on Saturday was one whereby you would “lose your seat” if you didn’t renew your ST by then.

I mean in a ground where unless we are playing Man Utd it is never actually full anyway, there will be hundreds during the uncertainty of a pandemic who will really want to take my seat from me, won’t there?

Well, you do know that refers to if you have a particular seat in the Dolman say that you've sat in for 15 years, you get first dibs if you renew by a certain date and keep it. If not, it would be open for anyone to choose if they wanted their season ticket there. The club weren't suggesting that there's 27,000 people requesting season tickets so you're not going to get one at all if you don't renew.

I thought that was a bit obvious, but judging from your post it looks like you're really desperate to bash the club about something you've invented!

37 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The lose your seat date is May 4th. SL has a month to sort things out and that should be more than enough time.

I think the situation is much more pressing. For me, both parties have a matter of days to get this sorted now, or the odds of one party walking away increases dramatically. 

The longer this farce continues, the longer we will keep losing games. It's clear the club, playing staff and coaching staff, and, hey those folk that support the club through thick and thin, THE FANS, need some reassurance regarding stability. 

If Pearson hasn't signed a long-term deal within the next 7-10 days, by the Wednesday game next Saturday at the latest, then we can begin to assume something is awry. 

It is a massive summer. We could resign most OOC and probably just skirt relegation for another few seasons. 

If we let everyone go, we are basically scraping down to a relegation side but with scope to add key pieces and rebuild. 

The obvious choice is the latter but that depends on who is making the decisions. I trust NP would make at least solid decisions that would make us a bit better and well away from the bottom 3. However, I am not convinced SL is convinced. That worries the hell out of me. Ask me again in 2 months and the answer will be a lot clearer. 

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the situation is much more pressing. For me, both parties have a matter of days to get this sorted now, or the odds of one party walking away increases dramatically. 

The longer this farce continues, the longer we will keep losing games. It's clear the club, playing staff and coaching staff, and, hey those folk that support the club through thick and thin, THE FANS, need some reassurance regarding stability. 

If Pearson hasn't signed a long-term deal within the next 7-10 days, by the Wednesday game next Saturday at the latest, then we can begin to assume something is awry. 

I did say two weeks. I do tend to agree with your thrust tho dear. Is

27 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I know there's been travel restrictions, and understand him wanting to see Pearson in person, but I was staggered to hear Lansdown say he would be meeting Pearson "in the next few weeks". Assuming he was being straightforward with that comment, I'd consider it a dereliction of duty to leave it that long and would indicate to me that, deep down, he doesn't really want him as a manager. Why? Not hard to work out  and he's said it himself when describing the events that led up to appointing Pearson temporarily - he described Pearson as someone who might have a prickly personality and be difficult to get on with. And there we have it - while Lansdown's in charge, everything's got to be cosy and comfortable.

If he really wanted to, he'd be in his chauffeur driven limo early tomorrow morning, be on his private jet to Lulsgate, be in his chauffeur driven limo to Ashton Gate, meet Pearson, and be home in time for lunch. 

What's so difficult? Unless you don't really fancy it. 

Christ, I hope all that's way off beam.

I think there will be seismic changes.

For sure we'll record record losses the likes of which would bust most clubs and will (probably already has) given SL cause to think again about how much he wants City as part of the sport equation?

I don't think NP will stay under SL - ( why would he unless he's the figurehead under a new strategy?) New regime on the other hand we could look a tad like Leicester.

I think ST sales will stall. Not just because we're crap at present rather Covid, I think, has shown football up for the foolish and expensive folly it has become. The patronising crap the club continue to came out with doesn't help. You're not doing me any favours keeping prices where they were. The price point is is the product worth it? At present and from those things City control,  the answer is a categoric NO. Why the hell would I wish to visit the training facility other then to unleash my wrath on the greedy, talentless rabble that has brought my beloved club low? Why would I wish to become a FKW let alone wear a shirt emblazoned with signatures I'd prefer be regularly used at dole offices?  Add in the fact Bristol HATES ex pats like me, the fact TV randomly dictates whether or not I'm able to attend ONCE I've bought my ticket, the complete unknowns as to even if I buy a ST whether I'll be allowed in, or have to get in hours early, or wait for hours afterwards, or have to stay away if I get a sniffle? Suppose I have to take an LFT prior to attending and stay away if testing positive. Do I get a refund for being honest or do I turn up and infect others? How might the club prevent abuse? What chance others will act responsibly? What's the club's policy on taking a punt CF POTD? These are the FAQs we need, not the drivel published.  I get that's catastrophic for cashflow at a time City are hemorrhaging money but hey, the club sold itself out years ago on the loyalty front and it's they who've placed themselves in this ridiculous position. I wouldn't dream of buying a theatre ticket with an advertised cast of hams I can't abide in the hope they might all be replaced come performance. Place all bar 6 of the present squad in stocks and offer me the option of lobbing rotten tomatoes at them and you'd get my cash. Pay to watch them fail (again) to play football, why treat me with such contempt? As a favour my son and I will do what we've done ever since the loyalty scheme (sic) was introduced and the club can stick it's loyalty bonus where the sun don't shine. If it was a measure of loyalty I'd be able to use it against something I might want. And if that doesn't extend to beers or pies, if it's only for City endorsed products , well why not bring out a Marley Watkins punchbag or Nakhi Wells refuse sacks?

Fair play to NP, his comments are so far off message as to give me hope. SL's diligence in the other hand dictates a more cautionary approach.

Make no mistake City are in big, big trouble. The least of which is lifelong stalwarts such as myself, you know, I'm not sure they're really that bothered any more. This isn't 82. Neither club nor players have been attached to heart-strings for decades. 

14 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It is a massive summer. We could resign most OOC and probably just skirt relegation for another few seasons. 

If we let everyone go, we are basically scraping down to a relegation side but with scope to add key pieces and rebuild. 

The obvious choice is the latter but that depends on who is making the decisions. I trust NP would make at least solid decisions that would make us a bit better and well away from the bottom 3. However, I am not convinced SL is convinced. That worries the hell out of me. Ask me again in 2 months and the answer will be a lot clearer. 

A lot of unknowns at the moment, the most important ( as fas as I can see) is exactly what SL sees his future at and with the club.

There has to be a question mark over Jon’s future with the club, given his apparent emigration out to Bermuda to make a new home. While it is perhaps acceptable for the owner to reside in the channel islands, it is a little more impractical for the club chairman, who I presume would be expected to have a more hands on role than the owner, to be domiciled five and a half thousand miles away. If Jon no longer sees his future with us, then will SL be reviewing his long term plans, which I presume previously were for  legacy to pass into his son’s hands.

That is further called into question by SL stating that he is seeking additional investment into the club. This could just mean that SL feels he is no longer able/willing to  “ go it alone”. It could mean that he feels that new investment will bring with it new people and new ideas. It could, of course, mean that SL is looking to back out of the club, if he thinks he has reached the end of the road.

If SL remains committed and/or new investment is secured, then given the apparent disarray in which many club find themselves with transfer embargoes and  the obvious financial stress that must surely be biting many clubs after a year of pandemic restrictions, then rebuilding a team through the summer might not be the herculean task it would have been in “normal” times. Our financial prudence ( as far as ffp is concerned), and with others struggling, might mean that good players are available for much less than would otherwise have been the case.

This in turn is also dependant on who is rebuilding the team and choosing players, which brings us back to the question of Nigel Pearson. You ask whether Sl is convinced by Pearson, but it might be that SL’s apparent reticence is because of so many issues appearing to be brewing at the same time. His direct involvement with Pearson’s appointment in the first place,  makes me think that SL realised that replacing Holden was a watershed moment that we couldn't afford to cock up. That being the case, unless there is another experienced and capable manager waiting in the wings,  I cannot believe that SL would knowingly let Pearson slip through our fingers. Surely it would not help to attract new investors if the club was faced with making it’s third manager/head coach appointment in a year!

At the moment, my biggest concern is not that SL isn't convinced by NP, but that NP is scared to death of taking on the crock of **** that he has inherited!!!!

Yes; I do. I feel we are at a major turning point on and off the pitch. There has to be a shift in the type of player we look for.

As quickly as we have improved off the pitch we have equally as quick gone backwards on it, and it will continue until the end of the season.

There is the feel good factor needed to be fostered especially with season ticket sales around the corner.

NP is a top manager and for once we have someone  who has the experience at top level, but for how long?

There are plenty of players OOC and questions will need to voiced for some of the recent decision making.

Whether NP is still in the hot seat beyond this season or not it will give a clear indicator to everyone of the ambition.

54 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I know there's been travel restrictions, and understand him wanting to see Pearson in person, but I was staggered to hear Lansdown say he would be meeting Pearson "in the next few weeks". Assuming he was being straightforward with that comment, I'd consider it a dereliction of duty to leave it that long and would indicate to me that, deep down, he doesn't really want him as a manager. Why? Not hard to work out  and he's said it himself when describing the events that led up to appointing Pearson temporarily - he described Pearson as someone who might have a prickly personality and be difficult to get on with. And there we have it - while Lansdown's in charge, everything's got to be cosy and comfortable.

If he really wanted to, he'd be in his chauffeur driven limo early tomorrow morning, be on his private jet to Lulsgate, be in his chauffeur driven limo to Ashton Gate, meet Pearson, and be home in time for lunch. 

What's so difficult? Unless you don't really fancy it. 

Christ, I hope all that's way off beam.

Not so sure.

Remember when we sacked Holden, SL was all “let’s look at drawing up a long list followed by a short list, then some interviews and hopefully it will be a little bit quicker than last time”.

A week later it was “**** me, we’re going to get relegated if we don’t get someone in over the next few days”.

I think he loves his process but deep down he must know if we don’t appoint Pearson (who obviously wants the job, despite the shambolic nature of the club at present) then there is effectively nothing in place for next season at all.

My hunch is he wants to do the deal but only when we are mathematically safe.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Which is ironic given that LJ was given four years and the benefit of the doubt post hideous losing runs ? yet poor old Nige, with his rep in the games, now looks as if a dozen games might be the ceiling! 

6 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

Which is ironic given that LJ was given four years and the benefit of the doubt post hideous losing runs ? yet poor old Nige, with his rep in the games, now looks as if a dozen games might be the ceiling! 

Yes well given a short term contract I can understand why he thinks that. He might be aware of how well LJ was backed and think at least he has a club with an owner who backs the manager longer than most.

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yes well given a short term contract I can understand why he thinks that. He might be aware of how well LJ was backed and think at least he has a club with an owner who backs the manager longer than most.

The problem being, is Steve going to be around the Club much longer in a single ownership capacity and/or be prepared to inject large amounts of cash and/or be prepared to change his ‘model’ to which he has been wedded for so long? 

I truly hope Steve hangs around and he realises his/our ambition, but that latest podcast has sown major seeds of doubt. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

At the moment, my biggest concern is not that SL isn't convinced by NP, but that NP is scared to death of taking on the crock of **** that he has inherited!!!!

I know what you mean and I'm sure what he's learnt about the players since arriving has been an eye-opener to Pearson - and not necessarily in a good way! - but don't forget, he applied for the job, he ("his people"") reached out to us (according to Lansdown).

And I think, on balance, the reasons he wanted to apply for the job still outweigh any "negatives"  (i.e. some of the the players) he's picked up since being here. Not by much perhaps but I still think the positives he had in his head about the BCFC job are still winning the day.

After all, if everything fell into place Pearson would have the opportunity to build his own squad quite quickly given our number of ooc players, the CEO could leave allowing a re-structuring of the Suits to his liking, and he'd be working for an owner who is the opposite of trigger happy and who backs his managers to the hilt (albeit one who's looking for outside investment). All those are Massive positives. 

So, just for a change, there's an awful lot going for a manager here and I think Pearson knows that full well. In plenty of interviews, he tries desperately to avoid using the "P" for Potential word. But he understands there's an opportunity here, if everything fell into place, to be a massive success and in the process be part of an exciting chapter in our history. 

I'm more worried Landown won't be able to handle the home truths coming his way when he finally gets to look Pearson in the eye.     

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I know what you mean and I'm sure what he's learnt about the players since arriving has been an eye-opener to Pearson - and not necessarily in a good way! - but don't forget, he applied for the job, he ("his people"") reached out to us (according to Lansdown).

And I think, on balance, the reasons he wanted to apply for the job still outweigh any "negatives"  (i.e. some of the the players) he's picked up since being here. Not by much perhaps but I still think the positives he had in his head about the BCFC job are still winning the day.

After all, if everything fell into place Pearson would have the opportunity to build his own squad quite quickly given our number of ooc players, the CEO could leave allowing a re-structuring of the Suits to his liking, and he'd be working for an owner who is the opposite of trigger happy and who backs his managers to the hilt (albeit one who's looking for outside investment). All those are Massive positives. 

So, just for a change, there's an awful lot going for a manager here and I think Pearson knows that full well. In plenty of interviews, he tries desperately to avoid using the "P" for Potential word. But he understands there's an opportunity here, if everything fell into place, to be a massive success and in the process be part of an exciting chapter in our history. 

I'm more worried Landown won't be able to handle the home truths coming his way when he finally gets to look Pearson in the eye.     

We’ve had 5 years of appointments from within the Bristol City family with appointees unlikely to want to rock the boat by speaking out about issues at the club. 

For Sl to have become personally involved in Pearson’s appointment is a clear indication as to how worried he was about the real threat of relegation, and while the relegation threat might be slight, compared to when N was appointed, recent results and in particular performances must be of major concern to the owner.

Accordingly might it just be the case that S might welcome an outsider telling him how it really is within the club. This is not an MA witchhunt, but I know many hold MA responsible for many of the problems we now have, whether that be the coincidence of so many players being out of contract this summer, poor signings, the catastrophic injury list this season and the performance of the medical team, and general poor signings in the last few seasons.

Would SL get an honest assessment from his own appointees?

As a consequence,  perhaps there might be a few others at the club who won't be able to handle the home truths that come SL’s way when he finally gets to look NP in the eye,

Maybe there was a plan here. NP appointed on short term contract by MA in the full knowledge that a new CEO was incoming who would negotiate a new long term deal. If that new CEO was ex chair of Prem and bringing in finance the opportunity looks a whole lot different from NPs prospective. With so many other managerial opportunities currently and in the future it would make sense why BCFC. 

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Pearson will see this as a massive, unprecedented opportunity to put his stamp on a club... or he'll run for the hills as soon as the final whistle blows on the last game of the season.

Pray God it's  the former. 

Huge turning point for the club I feel. I also think that it can only mean either a massive high or a massive low. I cannot see any middle ground outcome here.

Archived