IGNORED

Are we coming up to a seismic time for the club?

downendcity

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

With Mawson, Martin, Weimann and Paterson in the team.

What do you think Pearson would be achieving if those players were available to him?????

Ah the same Martin that did nothing under him until the losing streak you mean. 

23 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

A way of resetting standards is by outlining expectations. Mr Pearson is fond of that word clarity, so was Mr Johnson. The team needs clarity of purpose and expectations. A reset. At present its star man up top sets a standard, a low bar that isn't dissimilar to his old low bar, it just a % lower, no improvement . That lack of effort has been playing regularly as it did under Mr Johnson.

Its been disappointing seeing Mr Pearson repeating the same mistakes, playing shysters .. Playing poor standards, giving the easy riders their comfy place in the XI is an odd way of motivating others. 

The man's been in charge for 8 games and doesn't even know if he'll be here in four weeks time. He has limited options due to injuries. It's not unreasonable to give the current players, including the wasters, at least a few opportunities. I would suggest that after his post-match interview on Monday, a few have lost their final chance and won't be seen again in a Bristol City shirt.

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

I think we’re in an unprecedented position atm, with a huge number of ooc players, who are clearly demonstrating they couldn’t give a shit where this club ends up at the end of this season.  Make no mistake, for all we know, we could have been getting severe dickings every match if DH was still here for all we know.

I suspect we’ve got a few ‘rotten apples’ in our barrel and they’re dragging the whole squad down and I wonder if any manager would be able to turn that round.

Wouldn’t happen of course, but I’d love to see any ringleaders shown the door right now and hopefully get some positivity back, but obviously won’t happen for many reasons.

That is it for me.

If one of those players is your centre forward, who through a lack of confidence across your team is the focal point of aimless “out-balls”, then you’re stuffed.  Sorry, Fam, that’s aimed at you.

Even with novices like S.Pearson and Tommy Conway on the pitch, we fashioned more attacking pressure on Coventry in 25 mins than we did in the other 65.  That shows (to me at least) how one player (Diedhiou) hinders you massively.

Double that impact with Nagy playing with less heart than the lion from the wizard of oz.  I’m not saying he’s a rotten apple in the same way Fam is, but it caused us huge probs with and without the ball on Monday.

You at least stand a chance with 11 players on the pitch working for each other, even if they don’t have the perceived quality.  NP has been trying to protect the kids, but I think he saw he actually got more out of them than others.  He may or may not use them going forward.  Was a 6-0 drubbing at Watford good for Towler for example?

57 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I suppose my main worry is. We just scrap survival this season. Np gets a contract, all of our out of contract players are released. The its a big rebuild job. What does NP go for? He has already signed a former player in DS. A 34 yo. I dont want our team to be filled with a bunch of 30+ year olds on big wages on frees. How has that helped us this season? Lansbury is utter shite, Martin, ineffective before being injured, Brunt, useless, Mariappa the odd good game and some shockers. This could really badly backfire. Not just in terms of league position, but financially too.

Plus, losing the likes of Baker for that too. Thats a shame. Its sad he has been injured the whole season, because i think he is utterly immense for us, and see him as a far better centre back then Kalas personally. 

I really do t think you can judge recruitment this summer on one OOC player who he’s worked with in the past, because that was all that was available.  The options in the summer will be different.  There will undoubtedly be plenty of 30+ scrap heap players, but there are also players of the calibre of Mowatt, Ostigard, Powell, Fletcher etc, plus clubs will to offload cheaply.

I genuinely think DS was a “mole in the camp” signing.  Reporting back to NP the things that go on when the manager isn’t there.  He needs an outsider as none of the existing staff and players are his.

42 minutes ago, Swede said:

Sorry, can't agree with those sweeping statements.

Play Wells in his rightful position in an attacking side and he will core goals. He's doing a job for the team and with his improved work rate we're getting more out of him.

Palmer is playing his best football on a more consistent level.

Lansbury comes in for a lot of criticism but is neat and tidy and it's no coincidence that HNM plays better when he's in the side.

Kalas has blocked more shots than anybody in the Championship.

The improvements in these players' form alone since NP took over is very noticeable.

Indeed.  Our left winger is now our top goal scorer in the league.  What does that say?

Petsonally I don’t think there has been much improvement, but I do think NP has got to see the true character of each player.  That will better inform decisions.

48 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

A wide variety of accusations are levelled at accountant managers, ranging from short-termism, a lack of interest in long-term investment, a penny-pinching attitude and, above all, an unwillingness to take risks. The logic is flawless.

Accountants are trained from the start to apply the principle of prudence to company accounts so they will be equally cautious when they become managers.

The trouble with this argument is that there is no evidence for it.

https://www.accountancyage.com/1997/10/17/the-myth-of-the-cautious-manager/

I don't agree with you but as I know you, I accept you can disagree.

Keep smiling and when are you coming back? @Abraham Romanovich

23 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Holden actually got a few wins early on believe it or not.

Those results were complete flukes and didn't reflect the flow of the games. We've played terrible football all season, and bouncing the ball off Chris Martin's noggin for 90 minutes at the start of the season doesn't change that. Those initial results ended up setting us back as they bought Holden an extra month (at least) to try and turn things around, which obviously wasn't ever going to happen.

I've not got the stats to back this up, but to me it's pretty evident that the midfield has improved drastically under Pearson and we're starting to actually play the ball forward! Results have been hit and miss, but the games against Birmingham and Swansea showed the potential football that Pearson can implement, now we need the squad to put it into practice across an entire season.

4 hours ago, Atticus said:

TBH I wouldn't even be to bothered if Pearson left. He has helped in exactly zero way. Its been a huge underwhelming appointment in terms of results.

What we need is a huge clear out of personnel. We have too many players here that are either not good enough or just dont want to be here. Get rid of them. As many as possible to be honest.

We also need to be rid of the likes of Ashton. Thats a given. The players we have signed this season have been absolutely shocking.

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

But there is an issue here. Of course that can be used as a valid excuse for him, but they are still a squad of professional players. The likes of Wells, Fam, Palmer, Hunt, Kalas, Lansbury, etc are all championship experienced. Yet we are utter utter dross. When do these excuses start becoming just that. Excuses.

I wouldn't be so concerned if we saw an uptick in performance. But we are ******* dire. 

Doesn't that first comment I've highlighted kind of expalin why we haven't acheived your second one..?

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

After 4 games out of 46? You're having a laugh!

I was replying to a post that was suggesting Martin is a bag o'shite. I beg to differ. Trying to make the point Pearson might be doing a tad better if he had players of the quality of Mawson, Martin, Weimann and Paterson available to him. 

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

But there is an issue here. Of course that can be used as a valid excuse for him, but they are still a squad of professional players. The likes of Wells, Fam, Palmer, Hunt, Kalas, Lansbury, etc are all championship experienced. Yet we are utter utter dross. When do these excuses start becoming just that. Excuses.

I wouldn't be so concerned if we saw an uptick in performance. But we are ******* dire. 

They are professional players on paper but this is reality and I think those that are out of contract have possibly lost the desire, drive or passion to be here and put in 100% effort.  To them, it's probably more of a priority now that they look after themselves and stay injury free for their next contract offer (which at our club it's seems standard now that you have to get at least one Hamstring injury a season).  I wonder if we'd see completely different standards and effort in performance when they are playing at their next clubs. (Absolutely, they'll look like the players we'd want).

Like you said, I don't think Pep would be able to motivate this lot, and I do believe that poor attitudes and standards have spread to other players which then escalates in to the problem we now have (and that's before you factor in the impact of injuries).

The sooner this season is over and Nigel (or whoever is here next) can move the players on and start again, then we'll start to see City of old start to come back (although I do also believe problems need sorting with the coaching and fitness/physio set up too).

What a horrible season we've had. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That is it for me.

If one of those players is your centre forward, who through a lack of confidence across your team is the focal point of aimless “out-balls”, then you’re stuffed.  Sorry, Fam, that’s aimed at you.

Even with novices like S.Pearson and Tommy Conway on the pitch, we fashioned more attacking pressure on Coventry in 25 mins than we did in the other 65.  That shows (to me at least) how one player (Diedhiou) hinders you massively.

Double that impact with Nagy playing with less heart than the lion from the wizard of oz.  I’m not saying he’s a rotten apple in the same way Fam is, but it caused us huge probs with and without the ball on Monday.

You at least stand a chance with 11 players on the pitch working for each other, even if they don’t have the perceived quality.  NP has been trying to protect the kids, but I think he saw he actually got more out of them than others.  He may or may not use them going forward.  Was a 6-0 drubbing at Watford good for Towler for example?

I really do t think you can judge recruitment this summer on one OOC player who he’s worked with in the past, because that was all that was available.  The options in the summer will be different.  There will undoubtedly be plenty of 30+ scrap heap players, but there are also players of the calibre of Mowatt, Ostigard, Powell, Fletcher etc, plus clubs will to offload cheaply.

I genuinely think DS was a “mole in the camp” signing.  Reporting back to NP the things that go on when the manager isn’t there.  He needs an outsider as none of the existing staff and players are his.

Indeed.  Our left winger is now our top goal scorer in the league.  What does that say?

Petsonally I don’t think there has been much improvement, but I do think NP has got to see the true character of each player.  That will better inform decisions.

Just two points.

Agree about Simpson being NP ears.

Secondly, if Towler is going to make it, it was possibly the best lesson he's ever had. If his character isn't strong enough to take it, he will ultimately fail.

14 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Doesn't that first comment I've highlighted kind of expalin why we haven't acheived your second one..?

I would of expected an experienced manager at a higher level to be able to eek out that extra bit from our players. 

That doesnt seem to be the case though.

Sadly, as much as everybody would hate to admit it, hindsight is showing at this stage, maybe sticking with Holden would of been an option that wasnt so worse. Shal I say.

15 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

No the Martin whose partnership with Wells had us top of the league.

Back in August, when all seemed possible and hopes were high, motivation intrinsic. Which I think was a point you made yesterday somewhere on here.

In August and September, everything's still possible and enthusiasm comes naturally. In February and March, if you aren't going up and you're not going down - well, as supporters we know how that feels, and not even a wild-dog fighting sergeant major can make us feel any more excited about the end of a midtable season. About the next season, he might (for those of us that will be here), but not this waste of a season. 

And so thoughts turn to next season, and what might be possible then. No doubt the same for players (and the contracts they will want to secure)

Peeps on here are struggling with the difference between August/September  (when everything's to play for) and February/March/April when the game is up (for those in midtable). It's why the play-offs came about, to help with "motivation" (motivation being another thing many seem to find baffling)

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

Perhaps you would care to enlighten me? And without the sarcasm please. I'm always ready to accept other's views and to learn from my mistakes and errors.

At almost every company that I've worked at, even the accountants have acknowledged that a company headed by an accountant, will be too cautious in it's outlook for the future. That doesn't mean crazy gambling but in all businesses and even ordinary life, there are times to take a chance rather than sit on one's hands. Far too often, it appears that SL does the latter. He sits at the crossroads rather than make a decision.

That is why a club like Norwich will soon be getting their seventh promotion to the top tier since 1970 while were last there forty years ago.

@SecretSam over to you.

yep @SecretSam over to you

I spent over 20 years as a Publican and used to have stock checks by an accountancy led company ( It was my pub not a breweries) Every time they would say I was not making the right % GP on this and that and I should sell product X and Y for an increased price. As this would have meant increasing 'say Stella or Kronenbourg '  I would have lost sales as punters would have taken their business elsewhere. Bottom lines to an Accountant mean different things to those actually doing the job or have you found a secret formula ?????????

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Peeps on here are struggling with the difference between August/September  (when everything's to play for) and February/March/April when the game is up (for those in midtable). It's why the play-offs came about, to help with "motivation" (motivation being another thing many seem to find baffling)

Quite. Thick as mince, some on here. 

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I would of expected an experienced manager at a higher level to be able to eek out that extra bit from our players. 

That doesnt seem to be the case though.

Sadly, as much as everybody would hate to admit it, hindsight is showing at this stage, maybe sticking with Holden would of been an option that wasnt so worse. Shal I say.

Great shout, that. Let's go back to having zero shots on goal or zero corners. That was working so well, wasn't it? Even Kalas thought so. 

Some of these wasters don't give a flying **** about our club. They didn't under Holden and they don't under Pearson. That is the problem. 

You talk about expectations, which might be why you're disappointed. Before the start of the season, I expected us to finish anywhere in the bottom eight with the players we have and a novice in charge. That doesn't look far off. 

11 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Back in August, when all seemed possible and hopes were high, motivation intrinsic. Which I think was a point you made yesterday somewhere on here.

In August and September, everything's still possible and enthusiasm comes naturally. In February and March, if you aren't going up and you're not going down - well, as supporters we know how that feels, and not even a wild-dog fighting sergeant major can make us feel any more excited about the end of a midtable season. About the next season, he might (for those of us that will be here), but not this waste of a season. 

And so thoughts turn to next season, and what might be possible then. No doubt the same for players (and the contracts they will want to secure)

We've yet to achieve that.  We're still fighting to not get dragged into a dogfight in the last few matches.  Yes it's unlikely, but complacency can be a very dangerous opponent.

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Great shout, that. Let's go back to having zero shots on goal or zero corners. That was working so well, wasn't it? Even Kalas thought so. 

Some of these wasters don't give a flying **** about our club. They didn't under Holden and they don't under Pearson. That is the problem. 

You talk about expectations, which might be why you're disappointed. Before the start of the season, I expected us to finish anywhere in the bottom eight with the players we have and a novice in charge. That doesn't look far off. 

What difference is it making? We are being wanked every game no?

49 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Before our team looked trash under him. And just as trash under our "experienced manager"

Atticus/ Nigel Pearson could be  the new Robbered/Gary Johnson pairing. 

For “experienced” read “conference”  and Nigel’s invitation to meet him in his office will be in the post...............

:) 

22 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Just two points.

Agree about Simpson being NP ears.

Secondly, if Towler is going to make it, it was possibly the best lesson he's ever had. If his character isn't strong enough to take it, he will ultimately fail.

Yes, he will’ve learned loads....but if you keep getting 6-0 drubbings you stop learning.

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Atticus/ Nigel Pearson could be  the new Robbered/Gary Johnson pairing. 

For “experienced” read “conference”  and Nigel’s invitation to meet him in his office will be in the post...............

:) 

Not at all. I am not Robbered and I hold no grudes against the guy.

In fact I find that offensive, knowing the history behind the two, so I would ask you to take that back.

Pearson could be anyone. My point being that the mistake was made appointing Holden in the first place. It was another mistake now appointing Pearson, there has been virtually no improvement. 

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I firmly believe this to be the case. I could even see him being part of the coaching team next year. With Pearson in charge he could dispense with Downing & Simpson and get DS involved along with Weimann & Martin who will both more than likely be here come August - I mention these 2 names as Weimann said on Robins TV he and Chris had been called off their recovery beds to help out. No bad thing in my view and if actioned would save on the overall payroll budget.

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Not at all. I am not Robbered and I hold no grudes against the guy.

In fact I find that offensive, knowing the history behind the two, so I would ask you to take that back.

Pearson could be anyone. My point being that the mistake was made appointing Holden in the first place. It was another mistake now appointing Pearson, there has been virtually no improvement. 

Smiley face at the end was meant to indicate that it was tongue in cheek comment - I doubt that anyone could match RR’s “relationship” with GJ!

In fairness, I get that you feel the club is in a mess ( Pearson not yet being appointed full time being symptomatic of that) as I alluded to in the OP, with many issues in need of resolution just now.

For what it’s worth, and as touched on by another poster in this thread, I think one of the problems ( among many!) that Pearson has had to contend with is that there are probably players with serious commitment/attitude issues but he cannot bin them as he might like to do because injuries have limited his options, and continuing to play players who perhaps don't want to be here is dragging the rest of the team down with them.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Smiley face at the end was meant to indicate that it was tongue in cheek comment - I doubt that anyone could match RR’s “relationship” with GJ!

In fairness, I get that you feel the club is in a mess ( Pearson not yet being appointed full time being symptomatic of that) as I alluded to in the OP, with many issues in need of resolution just now.

For what it’s worth, and as touched on by another poster in this thread, I think one of the problems ( among many!) that Pearson has had to contend with is that there are probably players with serious commitment/attitude issues but he cannot bin them as he might like to do because injuries have limited his options, and continuing to play players who perhaps don't want to be here is dragging the rest of the team down with them.

The fear is, and its becoming bigger and bigger, is if the club does indeed get relegated. We will truly be in a mess then, and that would show nothing but the appointment of Pearson as being a huge mistake. 

That is the worst case scenario of course. But it is a real one. 

11 minutes ago, Atticus said:

What difference is it making? We are being wanked every game no?

More shots on target, more corners, better shape, no square pegs in round holes, three good wins, a rare draw, and most importantly an understanding of the job at hand, what needs to change and how to go about it.

The only time we've been "wanked" this year was at Watford, under Holden, and it had been coming for a long time. That was our biggest defeat in 12 years (losing 6-0 at home to Cardiff).

If you can't see the players, all of whom were signed by Ashton, are the problem, there's no point continuing this debate. 

Archived