IGNORED

Our Fans are the problem, not Mark Ashton or Steve Lansdown

AshtonYate

I've been reading this forum from afar, and I've now finally had enough and signed up. 

I've been supporting Bristol City for 30 years now, followed home and away, so I'm not a new fan by any means.  What has shocked me though over resent years it the complete entitlement of our fans, especially at the moment.   

Mark Ashton

For me, the man has a done a decent job at the football club.  He is a fantastic negotiator and for the first time that I can remember we have been a force to reckon with when it comes to negotiation etc.  We've already heard from several employees within the club that Mark is a decent guy and works extremely really hard behind the scenes.  David Lloyd also said as much on OSIB this week.  He's obviously highly regarded within footballing circles as he's been giving a role on the EFL board!  So, because some of our fanbase wouldn't have a pint with him, wears a suit, he's suddenly slimy and a snake.  Honestly, who cares?  He's overseen one of the most successful periods in Bristol City's history.  He is an articulate and intelligent CEO, but lets hound him out with an absolute pipe dream of getting Scudamore in.  Are you having a laugh?  

Lets be honest, most people who have jumped on this witch hunt, as that is what it is, haven't got a clue what his role actually is. Fans just see a well groomed man in a suit and have just made their minds up that they don't like him because he, funnily enough, talks like a CEO. Lets be clear for the fans that can't compute this...... MARK ASHTON DOES IDENFIFTY PLAYERS TO SIGN. Mark Ashton overseas the recruitment team who finds the players.  They send lists of players to the manager, who then says YES or No. The manager will also suggest players for the recruitment team to analyse.  Where people have got the idea Mark Ashton identifies players, is beyond me and blows my mind.  But that doesn't fit in with the narrative does it. 

Why do our fans expect so much? I don't know another CEO in the football league that is expected to come out on radio and talk all of the time, its madness.    

Steve Lansdown 

It beggars belief how anyone would have a bad word to say about one of our own, who has ploughed over £200m into this club.  He has built a premier league standard stadium, a premier league quality training ground and has moved this club forward beyond recognition over the past 18 years. But yet all people want to do is abuse the guy!! Are you serious? Its like people think that running a successful football club is easy.  Simply black and white.  Could you imagine where we would be without the mans help? I'm not saying that he's always got it right, but he's sure got more right than wrong over the years and he is still ploughing money in.  You can tell that SL and JL are both at the end of the road with it, ploughing millions upon millions trying to elevate this club with nothing put abuse.  I'd have pulled the plug years ago.  The club would have been in great hands moving forward under JL, but SL has also said this week he isn't interested.  Are you surprised? Again, the abuse he gets on here is horrendous.  

10 clubs in the championship are now on a transfer ban!  We aren't one of them.  Can you guess why? Yeah, thats it, the CEO and the Owner have done a fantastic job to make sure that didn't happen during a worldwide pandemic.  We have a financially stable club when others all over the football league are crumbling.  

So if the fans got their way, we'd hound out an experienced CEO and a billionaire Bristol City supporting owner.  But where do you go from there once they leave in this little fantasy land ours? Maybe we can get in some Asian investment from owners that could barely point to Bristol on the map and have Ashton Gate sponsored by a betting company, as that's what it sounds like supporters want.  I'd hate to think what out fans would be like if we ACTUALLY had something bad to moan about. 

I love this club, I always will, but why do we as fans always have this need to press the self destruct button? We do we feel so entitled? We do we always need someone to blame? 

Every club go through ups and downs, but just think back and see how far we have come and tell me we haven't progressed in every department of this football club. 

I'm sorry if you don't agree, and I'm expecting a lot of abuse instead of constructive debate.  But is everything that bad?  

Is it the fans who fanny about the pitch on match days pretending to be professional footballers ? 

Is it the fans who employed a novice coach when the remit was to bring in experience ? 

Is it the fans who signed so many soft bellied players with no fight in them and no affinity to the club ?

I could go on .

We are, quite rightly, negative at times as we have seen better run clubs overtake us and have some success since the seventies . 

We are not responsible and continue to pay money into the club’s coffers regardless.

36 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

Mark Ashton overseas the recruitment team who finds the players.  They send lists of players to the manager, who then says YES or No. The manager will also suggest players for the recruitment team to analyse.  Where people have got the idea Mark Ashton identifies players, is beyond me and blows my mind.  But that doesn't fit in with the narrative does it. 

You've said it yourself - Ashton overseas the recruitment team. If there is no philosophy for us to recruit with, the recruitment will be more scattergun (which is what we've seen). The result of that, amongst other things, is no coherent style on the pitch and an unbalanced squad both of which have really come to a head this season, but it's been a problem that's developed over multiple seasons.

That's without considering the contract situations of the squad etc which Ashton is also responsible for. 

Ashton has to take responsibility for that in my view. 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ll respectfully disagree with your opinion of Mark Ashton. 

Me too.

I know Steve Lansdown has made mistakes & he infuriates me at times, but I’ll never question his love for the club, incredible sums of his own money that he has invested or his determination to improve us, let’s face in, despite no help whatsoever from those in power in the city, who see South Bristol as a foreign country.

Ashton on the other hand is just a snake, only interested in himself & his little group of hangers on & despite the Covid restrictions I’d drive him to Suffolk right now.

43 minutes ago, AshtonYate said:

I've been reading this forum from afar, and I've now finally had enough and signed up. 

I've been supporting Bristol City for 30 years now, followed home and away, so I'm not a new fan by any means.  What has shocked me though over resent years it the complete entitlement of our fans, especially at the moment.   

Mark Ashton

For me, the man has a done a decent job at the football club.  He is a fantastic negotiator and for the first time that I can remember we have been a force to reckon with when it comes to negotiation etc.  We've already heard from several employees within the club that Mark is a decent guy and works extremely really hard behind the scenes.  David Lloyd also said as much on OSIB this week.  He's obviously highly regarded within footballing circles as he's been giving a role on the EFL board!  So, because some of our fanbase wouldn't have a pint with him, wears a suit, he's suddenly slimy and a snake.  Honestly, who cares?  He's overseen one of the most successful periods in Bristol City's history.  He is an articulate and intelligent CEO, but lets hound him out with an absolute pipe dream of getting Scudamore in.  Are you having a laugh?  

Lets be honest, most people who have jumped on this witch hunt, as that is what it is, haven't got a clue what his role actually is. Fans just see a well groomed man in a suit and have just made their minds up that they don't like him because he, funnily enough, talks like a CEO. Lets be clear for the fans that can't compute this...... MARK ASHTON DOES IDENFIFTY PLAYERS TO SIGN. Mark Ashton overseas the recruitment team who finds the players.  They send lists of players to the manager, who then says YES or No. The manager will also suggest players for the recruitment team to analyse.  Where people have got the idea Mark Ashton identifies players, is beyond me and blows my mind.  But that doesn't fit in with the narrative does it. 

Why do our fans expect so much? I don't know another CEO in the football league that is expected to come out on radio and talk all of the time, its madness.    

Steve Lansdown 

It beggars belief how anyone would have a bad word to say about one of our own, who has ploughed over £200m into this club.  He has built a premier league standard stadium, a premier league quality training ground and has moved this club forward beyond recognition over the past 18 years. But yet all people want to do is abuse the guy!! Are you serious? Its like people think that running a successful football club is easy.  Simply black and white.  Could you imagine where we would be without the mans help? I'm not saying that he's always got it right, but he's sure got more right than wrong over the years and he is still ploughing money in.  You can tell that SL and JL are both at the end of the road with it, ploughing millions upon millions trying to elevate this club with nothing put abuse.  I'd have pulled the plug years ago.  The club would have been in great hands moving forward under JL, but SL has also said this week he isn't interested.  Are you surprised? Again, the abuse he gets on here is horrendous.  

10 clubs in the championship are now on a transfer ban!  We aren't one of them.  Can you guess why? Yeah, thats it, the CEO and the Owner have done a fantastic job to make sure that didn't happen during a worldwide pandemic.  We have a financially stable club when others all over the football league are crumbling.  

So if the fans got their way, we'd hound out an experienced CEO and a billionaire Bristol City supporting owner.  But where do you go from there once they leave in this little fantasy land ours? Maybe we can get in some Asian investment from owners that could barely point to Bristol on the map and have Ashton Gate sponsored by a betting company, as that's what it sounds like supporters want.  I'd hate to think what out fans would be like if we ACTUALLY had something bad to moan about. 

I love this club, I always will, but why do we as fans always have this need to press the self destruct button? We do we feel so entitled? We do we always need someone to blame? 

Every club go through ups and downs, but just think back and see how far we have come and tell me we haven't progressed in every department of this football club. 

I'm sorry if you don't agree, and I'm expecting a lot of abuse instead of constructive debate.  But is everything that bad?  

The one thing that counts, that brought us all to Ashton Gate in the first place is shockingly awful beyond belief................THE FOOTBALL.

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Is it the fans who fanny about the pitch on match days pretending to be professional footballers ? 

Is it the fans who employed a novice coach when the remit was to bring in experience ? 

Is it the fans who signed so many soft bellied players with no fight in them and no affinity to the club ?

I could go on .

We are, quite rightly, negative at times as we have seen better run clubs overtake us and have some success since the seventies . 

We are not responsible and continue to pay money into the club’s coffers regardless.

Is it the fans who fanny about the pitch on match days pretending to be professional footballers ? - How is that SL & MA fault? He just negotiates the deals.

Is it the fans who employed a novice coach when the remit was to bring in experience ? - I'll give you that. 

Is it the fans who signed so many soft bellied players with no fight in them and no affinity to the club ? - The fans wanted half of the players we signed! And again, how is that MA & SL fault? They just negotiate with the clubs.  

1 hour ago, AshtonYate said:

Mark Ashton

Steve Lansdown 

I answer you message with a short one of my own

6 weeks to appoint DH is not world class management at work

Mark Ashton

Steve Lansdown 

I'm not reading all that, but you're wrong ?

As with any forum when you are reading it as a non-member you are mostly going to notice the more extreme posters and their posts whilst skipping over the more reasonable nuanced posts as simple background noise.

@AshtonYate is doing just this.

There are many supportive and approving posts of what Steve Lansdown, or more correctly the Lansdown family, have done for this club.  I think that they have been a huge positive.

There are, I accept, fewer posts supporting Mark Ashton but I was supportive, especially of his maximising of sales income on outgoing players, up to the absolute debacle, played out in the press, of the process of replacing LJ.  Even had it not resulted in appointing his assistant in Dean Holden the whole concept of making experienced managers with decent track records jump through hoops with shortlists and second interviews as though we knew nothing about them was wrong on so many levels and would have served to create a long list of managers who will never again apply to manage Bristol City.

Prior to that absolute farrago of ullage of a recruitment process I thought he was doing a decent job.  That recruitment process was however so bad he should have been sacked on the spot.

Mark Ashton

Steve Lansdown 

Well argued and interesting. Definitely worth reflecting on. 

I was going to simply be sarcastic and post 'phew...and I thought the wheels were falling off the wagon'...

...but on reflection that's churlish. I'll simply say that Steve Lansdown has used his wealth to buy total control of a football club I and many others on here supported long before he'd given it a second thought. It's his enterprise, lock stock and barrel. Supporters have no say in any decisions made yet return year after year and buy season tickets in record numbers. It's a bit rich for these powerless supporters to be accused of entitlement when every year Lansdown makes promises on which he doesn't deliver. 20 years into his tenure the football is awful, the club a bit of a rudderless shambles.

In truth I assumed the OP to be a wind up!

49 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Me too.

I know Steve Lansdown has made mistakes & he infuriates me at times, but I’ll never question his love for the club, incredible sums of his own money that he has invested or his determination to improve us, let’s face in, despite no help whatsoever from those in power in the city, who see South Bristol as a foreign country.

Ashton on the other hand is just a snake, only interested in himself & his little group of hangers on & despite the Covid restrictions I’d drive him to Suffolk right now.

Please let me know what time your leaving as I am more than happy to follow you "just in case" you break down on the way ?

Mark Ashton

Steve Lansdown 

What a fantastic post. Spoken from the heart as we all do as supporters. Does this cloud our minds at times ?

We can only really comment on what happens on the pitch, as unless we have inside bugs how well do we really know what happens behind the scenes. Just how I read it. 

I have supported City since I was 12 a long time back. Seen many ups and downs but have and always be red till I dead. Yes there seem to be issues which need resolving at present which in all fairness do any of us here really have enough info or insight to solve. I think not.

So I keep paying my tenner to watch and ticket price When we back live and support the lads. Cause that our job to support. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I’ll respectfully disagree with your opinion of Mark Ashton. 

And that is perfectly fine.  But nobody has really given me a reason why? So why do you disagree? Maybe I'm missing something and I'm keen to listen to people opinions rather than just "he's a snake" without having any information on why.  

Lets be clear for the fans that can't compute this...... MARK ASHTON DOES IDENFIFTY PLAYERS TO SIGN. Mark Ashton overseas the recruitment team who finds the players.  They send lists of players to the manager, who then says YES or No. The manager will also suggest players for the recruitment team to analyse.  Where people have got the idea Mark Ashton identifies players, is beyond me and blows my mind.  But that doesn't fit in with the narrative does it. 

Well that's not very clear, is it?

Mark Ashton

Steve Lansdown 

Fans the problem? The fans ARE the club. SL, MA, JL et al are all just passing through. They do what they feel is right at any given time. 

We are entitled to an opinion, no? 

7 minutes ago, 054123 said:

@AshtonYate what do you think of the academy and our youth policy?

Glad it's not just me. I would prefer a name change away from our dearly departed late poster (not that my fellow Yatonian would be aware of the original).  As infuriating as his views often were he was certainly a character.

Mark Ashton

Steve Lansdown 

Hi Jon, decent of you to stick up for Dad.  And of course Mark - understandable as he's done all the heavy lifting while you've been away.  So anyway how's the new gaff in Bermuda?  Did you go for the Light or the Dark Grey painted walls in the end?....anyway not much going on here at the moment - Team's shite, most of the players are leaving, the rest are injured, Mark's jumping ship and the old fella's trying to flog the club to some yanks.  Check back in a few weeks after the pool's finished and we'll let you know what division we'll be in next year. 

Archived