IGNORED

Walsh - Will We See Him In A City Shirt Again?

Selred

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wouldn’t surprise me Dave - signed for £1m and that would put him at around a middling champ wage. If we say that, then it’s a £0.5m a season commitment. If we offer a deal, we’d get that in compo if it’s turned down. If he signs, it’d cost more than £1m in wages and fee to replace over a two year deal, even in the current market.

I get the injury concern, but if we viewed him as a free agent and passed a rigorous medical we’d take that deal. 

At his age, I’d certainly put him at the top of the OOC players I’d consider re-contracting.  The only one close is Weimann (year option).

If I genuinely felt Walsh was worth keeping I’d give him a 2 year deal, and tell him to just focus on getting fit.

18 minutes ago, Selred said:

Absolutely tore up league one last season and rightly deserved a go in the Championship. If it wasn't for injuries he'd of been a starter for us this season. Unfair to purely look at games for City, he's young, got a natural ability and just been unfortunate. I'd say he's exactly the the type of player we need to build squads around, he will only improve. 

Yeah I agree for the most part. The facts are though that unfortunately he's in his 4th season here now and has made less than 20 appearances. We can look at games for other teams, however there are only about 30 of them in lower divisions over the last 5 years too. I fully accept he did really well last year for Coventry but still only played just over half the season I think.

I guess I'm at the point now where I don't know if I want a squad with a load of players who "deserve a go", to use your words, in the Championship.

I'm not sure he fits what I'd want to build a squad around either given a) his lack of proven Championship ability and b) his injury record. Would be an odd pick for me there.

As I said, I'm leaning towards the club being a bit more ruthless in the pursuit of a smaller more elite squad, and if that means we let a few good ones go so be it. I was just as excited as anyone up at the Emirates watching him come on for his debut but that was a long time ago now. I genuinely hope he stays and proves me wrong, I'd be really happy as I do think he has something about him.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Oh dear oh dear, the conspiracy theories have returned and are worse than ever. 

Conspiracy?! Dozens of injuries, perhaps 2 dozen, the same injuries ( hamstrings ).
Several loanees play half a season and within weeks of returning are out for months with hamstring injuries. 

Our current chief of medicine oversaw disastrous injury records at previous clubs. 
No conspiracy. Impossible to not believe there is something wrong, unless you are a CEO trying to cover your arse from a sh1t appointment, ofcourse!
Far too many injuries to be bad luck.

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

Paterson also needs surgery again so out for the season too. So that’s...

Walsh

Paterson

Weimann

Mawson

Martin

Sessegnon

Williams

O’Dowda

Adelukan

Dasilva

Pring

Janneh

Rowe

All suffering severe or season ending injuries. And some people still think it’s conspiracy/moaning for moaning sake at the medical team? Get rid of the lot. Or at least, get rid of whoever is setting the regime standard & sessions for the rest to follow. 

You forgot Baker

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Nick - Lg1 was cut short if you’re looking at matches played and thinking he got nowhere near 46.  I think Cov only played 34 and he joined them a couple / few games into the season.

Coventry's season was curtailed following the win at Ipswich on 7th March, at which stage Walsh had played 34 games in all competitions.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Sorry; probs slightly misunderstood. My 80/20 inkling isn’t based on my personal preference, more the situation that is presented. A player that’s hardly featured in 4 years, probably hasn’t had the happiest time here, out of contract and unlikely to be offered a larger one. I just think is weighted 80/20 in the ‘he’ll be gone’ camp. 
Personally, I think he’s a good player and I’d probably offer him another year. I just think both parties won’t come to an agreement (Walsh likely not overly happy here and wanting an improved deal, Club not seeing the value in an improved deal). 

I can see why the player would be less than impressed by Lee Johnsons management. 

The player has abilities superior to others who feature in the first team regularly. If those abilities are valued effort should be put into keeping the player. A pretty simple view based on ability rather than circumstance. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

At his age, I’d certainly put him at the top of the OOC players I’d consider re-contracting.  The only one close is Weimann (year option).

If I genuinely felt Walsh was worth keeping I’d give him a 2 year deal, and tell him to just focus on getting fit.

40 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I can see why the player would be less than impressed by Lee Johnsons management. 

The player has abilities superior to others who feature in the first team regularly. If those abilities are valued effort should be put into keeping the player. A pretty simple view based on ability rather than circumstance. 

He’s the only OOC player who I’d offer a contract to. The rest can all gladly depart. 
My doubt is whether there is the desire on both sides to reach a deal that’s suits both. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

He’s the only OOC player who I’d offer a contract to. The rest can all gladly depart. 
My doubt is whether there is the desire on both sides to reach a deal that’s suits both. 

Im pretty sure we have to offer a deal to avoid a liam rosenior situation and ensure we receive compensation. I do suspect he will leave though, if nothing else but to get the hell away from our medical team.

46 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Release. How long do you wait for someone "to come good" he's been a waste of money so far and has been injured all season. When on the rare occasion I have seen him play, he's been pretty average.

Everyone we buy seems to be made put of biscuit and weak. 

Average is exceptional in this squad!  

15 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

I would normally agree but the fact that he was fine injury wise at Coventry and how our injuries have been this year I wouldn't write him off on that. For me if Pearson thinks he is good enough then offer him a new deal and sort our fitness/medical team out in the summer 

At least the bloke can pass a football...

And he has this amazing trick - he can even pass it forwards..

Most of our lot struggle to pass wind.

12 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

we could let these guys go for free who then go on to their next club injury free and do really well.  How frustrating would that be?

Or sign them on for a further three years on good contracts and see them bleed the club dry whilst occupying the medical staff , which would be the most frustrating ?

Players who suffer frequent injuries , sadly, rarely get the game time they should.

We are not a big enough club to stock up on these types of players in the hope that they somehow get over their problems.

The Williams /Walsh midfield dream is just that, a dream.

Both signings have been a disaster for all concerned. 

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

I don't know about that.

A number of players have been passing wind in the general direction of the manager and the fans for quite a while now.

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nick - Lg1 was cut short if you’re looking at matches played and thinking he got nowhere near 46.  I think Cov only played 34 and he joined them a couple / few games into the season.

Hah - great point, no idea how I managed to forget that!

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

He can make himself disappear...?

9 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Release. How long do you wait for someone "to come good" he's been a waste of money so far and has been injured all season. When on the rare occasion I have seen him play, he's been pretty average.

Everyone we buy seems to be made put of biscuit and weak. 

That was an interesting thing with NP's interview for me. Yes, he was questioning the medical staff, no doubt about it and I can see changes being made BUT he also made comments clearly showing he has an issue with players who he sees as lacking resilience and bottle. Some (not all) injuries can be "played through" without long term damage occurring, they just hurt a bit when you are playing and take longer to heal as a consequence and I think he is questioning the desire of players, taking home good money, to do that for the benefit of the club. I always thought that was one of the rubs of being a Professional Footballer but apparently not any more.

14 hours ago, BigTone said:

If you don't mind me saying that is bollycocks. You can't blame the medics for someone getting injured.

Not for the injury, per se. But the pattern of injuries and botched recoveries...sorry, but questions have to be asked of the whole fitness setup.

Some players are injury prone, no doubt. But we are worse than Arsenal used to be under Wenger.

Maybe it's also our fitness tests when we sign players?

12 hours ago, BigTone said:

The conspiracy is that it is the medical team are causing the injuries for gods sake. They treat injuries as that is their job.. Do you blame your doctor if you hurt yourself and need treatment? If you are going to blame anyone then it is down to the conditioning of the players FFS

The medical team will have input into the conditioning. Most decent trainers are also clinical professionals...Physios, Physiologists, etc. The rehab and conditioning are not two separate things.

17 hours ago, petehinton said:

Paterson also needs surgery again so out for the season too. So that’s...

Walsh

Paterson

Weimann

Mawson

Martin

Sessegnon

Williams

O’Dowda

Adelukan

Dasilva

Pring

Janneh

Rowe

All suffering severe or season ending injuries. And some people still think it’s conspiracy/moaning for moaning sake at the medical team? Get rid of the lot. Or at least, get rid of whoever is setting the regime standard & sessions for the rest to follow. 

I believe Bell is also out for the rest of the season.

Archived