IGNORED

R-I-P the last player from the Mathews final, any relation to Dean Holden?

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

The first FA Cup Final that I saw on TV.

In a neighbours house, the only tv in the street and about 25 men and boys wedged into the room.

I watched Arsenal v Liverpool Cup final 1971 in neighbours with a load of others as they had colour tv

13 minutes ago, pogue malone said:

I watched Arsenal v Liverpool Cup final 1971 in neighbours with a load of others as they had colour tv

My first was Ipswich v Arsenal.  Am I right in thinking Osborne’s goal was the last kick he made for Ipswich?

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My first was Ipswich v Arsenal.  Am I right in thinking Osborne’s goal was the last kick he made for Ipswich?

I watched that one in Wembley, Dave!

Osborne was certainly substituted after the goal.  Don't think Robson liked his OTT goal celebration.

I don't think it was his last game for Ipswich though.

• Admin
2 hours ago, pogue malone said:

Wouldn't know that Fevs, I know when I told my bro Sunderland scored he said " thought it was Liverpool v Arsenal" 

Used to be a great quiz question 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I watched that one in Wembley, Dave!

Osborne was certainly substituted after the goal.  Don't think Robson liked his OTT goal celebration.

I don't think it was his last game for Ipswich though.

He was substituted as he was taken ill after scoring, reportedly the adrenaline rush from scoring caused him to faint and he was unable to continue 

His celebration was tame, he just stood on the spot he struck the ball from before jumping up and down on the spot a couple of times 

• Admin
2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No he went to America shortly after but returned to play for Ipswich again for in 1980 for another year

33 minutes ago, phantom said:

He was substituted as he was taken ill after scoring, reportedly the adrenaline rush from scoring caused him to faint and he was unable to continue 

His celebration was tame, he just stood on the spot he struck the ball from before jumping up and down on the spot a couple of times 

My memory was of him leaping about and gesturing a bit. I can't remember him fainting at all, but I may well be wrong. I can recall it was a blazing hot day that afternoon.

I wasn't that interested in football in those days to be quite honest, but I got to see all the FA Cup finals and England home internationals due to my dad's job.

My main memory of that day was going for a Greek meal in Wembley before the game and having my (hated) school anorak accidentally taken by a diner who - to my delight - left a dead cool Belstaff waxed motorbike jacket in its place.  :laughcont:

• Admin
9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

My memory was of him leaping about and gesturing a bit. I can't remember him fainting at all, but I may well be wrong. I can recall it was a blazing hot day that afternoon.

I wasn't that interested in football in those days to be quite honest, but I got to see all the FA Cup finals and England home internationals due to my dad's job.

My main memory of that day was going for a Greek meal in Wembley before the game and having my (hated) school anorak accidentally taken by a diner who - to my delight - left a dead cool Belstaff waxed motorbike jacket in its place.  :laughcont:

Found this obscure footage 

Shows the goal

Cuts to some hardcore celebrating 

Replay of the goal

Shows a very weary goalscorer 

On 09/04/2021 at 00:40, Davefevs said:

I recall him “fainting” and being substituted.

I seem to remember him going off on a stretcher but sitting up...(actually, just found footage and he walked off, must have been someone else I remember)

Liverpool v Man Utd in '77 was the first final I really remember watching.

Archived