IGNORED

If you think Nige ripped into our lot after losing..............................

Lanterne Rouge

21 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Footballers are so lucky that the game is Covid-Proof and that contracts in the lower leagues will be completely unaffected by the lack of income in the game for the last year and handed out like confetti!!!

It beggars belief how thick and stupid some footballers (and their Agents presumably) can be. Don't they realise what a great career it is compared to "working" for a living? Fast forward a couple of years when one or two of them are at places like Weston Super Mare/Yate Town/BMF/Mangotsfield, erecting scaffolds for a living, twice a week training despite said scaffold erecting knackering them out, midweek games at Metropolitan Police FC (with the associated loss of earnings for taking a half day from work), getting back from Salisbury at 2am because there was a RTA and having to be up for 6am to get to work the next day, all for a couple of hundred quid, and I'll bet they wish then that had put in that little bit of extra effort in a few dead rubbers at the end of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Footballers are so lucky that the game is Covid-Proof and that contracts in the lower leagues will be completely unaffected by the lack of income in the game for the last year and handed out like confetti!!!

It beggars belief how thick and stupid some footballers (and their Agents presumably) can be. Don't they realise what a great career it is compared to "working" for a living? Fast forward a couple of years when one or two of them are at places like Weston Super Mare/Yate Town/BMF/Mangotsfield, erecting scaffolds for a living, twice a week training despite said scaffold erecting knackering them out, midweek games at Metropolitan Police FC (with the associated loss of earnings for taking a half day from work), getting back from Salisbury at 2am because there was a RTA and having to be up for 6am to get to work the next day, all for a couple of hundred quid, and I'll bet they wish then that had put in that little bit of extra effort in a few dead rubbers at the end of the season. 

I think it's human nature to seek out your comfort zone.  Pretty much all of us could have had far more successful careers if we were prepared to slog away endlessly but you get to a level where the money you're on is enough and the job's ok so you sit there until you retire.

Pro footballers have been training day in day out since they were children.  That level of training brings injury niggles and just sheer boredom with it which is why so many them get into gambling, drugs or drink.

Sure we'd all love to run out at Ashton Gate, it would be like winning the lottery, but what if it's the two hundredth time that you've run out, it's cold and pissing down and your knee's hurting then it's not going to be quite the same.

You look at JET and think he could have had a top level career with all of that talent but he was happy where he was and earning good money for it.

People like Kevin Keegan or Christiano Ronaldo who are seriously driven and train all the time are the exception.

Keegan is becoming a memory but his dedication was awesome:

Keegan participated in various sports, such as cross country running, rugby, football, and even captaining his school's cricket team.[20] He also boxed at his local club, run by the former British Heavyweight champion Bruce Woodcock.[21] At age 15, Keegan, with two friends, completed a 50-mile run from Nottingham to Doncaster. Afterwards he claimed he would never hit a psychological brick wall again with regards to running. In his autobiography, Keegan claimed this run prepared him physically and psychologically for any running he had to do in any future pre-season training or football matches.

at Scunthorpe Keegan would take his training very seriously. Twice a week, after training, Keegan would train with a teammate named Derek Hemstead and they would train by doing weighted farmers walks up and down the cantilever stand at the Old Showground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keegan

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think it's human nature to seek out your comfort zone.  Pretty much all of us could have had far more successful careers if we were prepared to slog away endlessly but you get to a level where the money you're on is enough and the job's ok so you sit there until you retire.

Pro footballers have been training day in day out since they were children.  That level of training brings injury niggles and just sheer boredom with it which is why so many them get into gambling, drugs or drink.

Sure we'd all love to run out at Ashton Gate, it would be like winning the lottery, but what if it's the two hundredth time that you've run out, it's cold and pissing down and your knee's hurting then it's not going to be quite the same.

You look at JET and think he could have had a top level career with all of that talent but he was happy where he was and earning good money for it.

People like Kevin Keegan or Christiano Ronaldo who are seriously driven and train all the time are the exception.

Keegan is becoming a memory but his dedication was awesome:

Keegan participated in various sports, such as cross country running, rugby, football, and even captaining his school's cricket team.[20] He also boxed at his local club, run by the former British Heavyweight champion Bruce Woodcock.[21] At age 15, Keegan, with two friends, completed a 50-mile run from Nottingham to Doncaster. Afterwards he claimed he would never hit a psychological brick wall again with regards to running. In his autobiography, Keegan claimed this run prepared him physically and psychologically for any running he had to do in any future pre-season training or football matches.

at Scunthorpe Keegan would take his training very seriously. Twice a week, after training, Keegan would train with a teammate named Derek Hemstead and they would train by doing weighted farmers walks up and down the cantilever stand at the Old Showground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keegan

I get that but the difference now is that some of these players are going to ruin their careers due to not putting it in for a few end of season games. Some of the poorest clubs will be ruthless and replace them with kids on the basis they are cheaper and will run through brick walls for them. The game is in ruins in the lower leagues and squad sizes will be cut, wages will be cut and therefore opportunities to be a professional footballer will be cut. Some clubs might even go part time. I am amazed at the number of people who think that football won't change anything and clubs will keep paying mega wages outside of the Premier League. Covid has put an end to that (Temporarily? Who knows?).

Put it this way, if I was in that Plymouth side and my contract was up at any time in the next 15 months I would be "getting over" my boredom and putting it in right now, that's for sure!!

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I get that but the difference now is that some of these players are going to ruin their careers due to not putting it in for a few end of season games. Some of the poorest clubs will be ruthless and replace them with kids on the basis they are cheaper and will run through brick walls for them. The game is in ruins in the lower leagues and squad sizes will be cut, wages will be cut and therefore opportunities to be a professional footballer will be cut. Some clubs might even go part time. I am amazed at the number of people who think that football won't change anything and clubs will keep paying mega wages outside of the Premier League. Covid has put an end to that (Temporarily? Who knows?).

Put it this way, if I was in that Plymouth side and my contract was up at any time in the next 15 months I would be "getting over" my boredom and putting it in right now, that's for sure!!

Agreed.

I didn't take in the reference to the current state of affairs.

Nige may well have waded into them behind closed doors but somehow I doubt it. He’s too sophisticated and honourable than that. He goes public via his post match interviews which of course all the players get to hear....he’s shaming them with great subtlety.

Archived