IGNORED

Shots on target

Judda

Movement off the ball, Strikers making diagonal runs, switching runs, creating space behind defenders. Wide players, first thought to attack full backs, get to goal line and cross to Strikers and Midfielders attacking the box. Midfielders not being afraid to make runs past the Strikers......

26 minutes ago, Judda said:

So last 4 games we've managed about 4 shots on target in total... maybe 5? 

With 5 games left to go... how do we fix it?

Simple.................we buy some new players ?

Unfortunately we can't do that until the transfer window opens up, and until then, we keep working on the philosophy of how we want to play, with the players we do have.

Not very pretty, not very entertaining, but whilst we're waiting to off-load and on-load players, lets get those remaining with doing the basics right.

12 minutes ago, Zip Nolan said:

Movement off the ball, Strikers making diagonal runs, switching runs, creating space behind defenders. Wide players, first thought to attack full backs, get to goal line and cross to Strikers and Midfielders attacking the box. Midfielders not being afraid to make runs past the Strikers......

A big problem in our side is the lack of attacking intent from our full backs who don’t appear to have the energy or inclination to get anywhere the opposition’s penalty area. 

You could also add the centre backs to that comment. 

Over cautious perhaps ? 

16 minutes ago, Zip Nolan said:

Easy . 

We've averaged 2.85 shots on target all season this season, 3rd from bottom. Last season it was 3.35 4th from bottom.

We apparently have 8.05 shots per game this season, bottom. Last season it was 10.13, 3rd from bottom.

I feel like those stats are generous. One things for sure the trend is not our friend. 

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

A big problem in our side is the lack of attacking intent from our full backs who don’t appear to have the energy or inclination to get anywhere the opposition’s penalty area. 

You could also add the centre backs to that comment. 

Over cautious perhaps ? 

Easy . 

The problem has been we don’t keep the ball in the final third long enough to allow our full-backs to get forward.  Therefore we don’t build structured possession and we therefore have to rely on sporadic and spontaneous attacks.

Some of that comes from confidence, we saw it slowly returning in the second half....but we didn’t execute with any quality.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The problem has been we don’t keep the ball in the final third long enough to allow our full-backs to get forward.  Therefore we don’t build structured possession and we therefore have to rely on sporadic and spontaneous attacks.

Some of that comes from confidence, we saw it slowly returning in the second half....but we didn’t execute with any quality.

So let me get this right, our attack is wholly dependant upon the performance of our full backs?

And there was me thinking their primary role was to prevent the other side scoring.

As neither appear to be working how about we go revolutionary and sign midfielders and proven attackers who can create and convert chances. Appreciate this is alien to AG's culture but hell, needs must.

47 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

So let me get this right, our attack is wholly dependant upon the performance of our full backs?

And there was me thinking their primary role was to prevent the other side scoring.

As neither appear to be working how about we go revolutionary and sign midfielders and proven attackers who can create and convert chances. Appreciate this is alien to AG's culture but hell, needs must.

No, you got it wrong! ?

I wasn’t suggesting that at all.  Worth re-Reading the context of the response to Major.

Also noticed nahki is always too far behind and through balls or balls over the top. He is reactive rat r than pro-active. I would like him more on the shoulder of the last defender and constantly making runs in behind. May find we get more chances on goal rather than the ball always reaching the keeper first everytime 

How many league goals did we have in our side yesterday ?

Wells has nine, then... ? 

Who did we think might score for us yesterday ?

Semenyo ?  2 goals.

Pearson ? Zero.

Palmer? 5 is it ? 

We don’t have a Taylor, Goater or Abraham type of player who can be relied on to get us out of trouble even on an off day.

Who are our talisman players ?

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

We've averaged 2.85 shots on target all season this season, 3rd from bottom. Last season it was 3.35 4th from bottom.

We apparently have 8.05 shots per game this season, bottom. Last season it was 10.13, 3rd from bottom.

I feel like those stats are generous. One things for sure the trend is not our friend. 

And under Pearson it's worse.

69 shots, 20 of which on target in his 9 games in charge. That's 7.66 and 2.22 per game respectively.

Pearson has had 4 games in which we've had 1 solitary shot on target. Holden managed 6 of those in his 30 games (plus one where we had 0). Three were his final three games in charge.

The Forest game also saw us slip below 1 goal per game, we're running at 0.98.

But the most worrying for me is our xG per shot. We've relied, over the past two years, on the fact that although we take few shots, they're good. They have a high chance of going in the net. That's what's kept our goals coming. Under LJ last season our average shot had about a 12.5% chance of being scored. That's good, the average for the league is about 10%. Under Holden we slipped a little to 11.2%. But over the past 9 games it's dropped to just 8.7%. We've lost that one edge we had.

Whichever way you cut it, and whatever excuses or rationale you apply - Pearson's numbers are pretty terrible.

The one place Pearson has actually improved us is in shots allowed. Down to 12.89 per game from 14.26 under Holden. On target allowed is 4, down from 4.3. So are we tighter defensively, or is it that opponents don't need to shoot much to beat us because we have so little threat going forward? 

For context a play off/auto side will generally run at averages of about 12-15 shots per game with 4-5 on target. We've been so far off that for two years now.

The solution lies with SL. Is he prepared to listen to some honest truths from NP and give him his backing to sort it out? The problems at the club have been slowly developing over the last couple of seasons resulting in a mishmash of lightweight players. Next season should be the start of rebuilding with the aim of a playoff place / promotion the following season. Unfortunately nobody can say that as it does nothing for season ticket sales. 

32 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

And under Pearson it's worse.

69 shots, 20 of which on target in his 9 games in charge. That's 7.66 and 2.22 per game respectively.

Pearson has had 4 games in which we've had 1 solitary shot on target. Holden managed 6 of those in his 30 games (plus one where we had 0). Three were his final three games in charge.

The Forest game also saw us slip below 1 goal per game, we're running at 0.98.

But the most worrying for me is our xG per shot. We've relied, over the past two years, on the fact that although we take few shots, they're good. They have a high chance of going in the net. That's what's kept our goals coming. Under LJ last season our average shot had about a 12.5% chance of being scored. That's good, the average for the league is about 10%. Under Holden we slipped a little to 11.2%. But over the past 9 games it's dropped to just 8.7%. We've lost that one edge we had.

Whichever way you cut it, and whatever excuses or rationale you apply - Pearson's numbers are pretty terrible.

The one place Pearson has actually improved us is in shots allowed. Down to 12.89 per game from 14.26 under Holden. On target allowed is 4, down from 4.3. So are we tighter defensively, or is it that opponents don't need to shoot much to beat us because we have so little threat going forward? 

For context a play off/auto side will generally run at averages of about 12-15 shots per game with 4-5 on target. We've been so far off that for two years now.

I think our stats have been pretty good considering we’ve only been playing with 8 or 9 players trying. ?

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, you got it wrong! ?

I wasn’t suggesting that at all.  Worth re-Reading the context of the response to Major.

In relation to the issue why we have so few shots on target you said the problem was we don't retain the ball long enough in the final 3rd to allow the full backs to get forward. The inference being without them so doing we're unable/unlikely to shoot. If the issue is wholly we're unable to retain possession and thus structure play, mention of full backs would be redundant.

So go on, what did I get wrong?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think our stats have been pretty good considering we’ve only been playing with 8 or 9 players trying. ?

Agreed.

He is clearly experimenting, or tinkering. You're better at formation stuff than me but iirc he's used 3 or 4 formations, and made probably an average of 3 changes to the starting XI in each game, plus used most of the 5 subs each time. Given that, where he started from, and the other issues...the numbers are ok...barely.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

In relation to the issue why we have so few shots on target you said the problem was we don't retain the ball long enough in the final 3rd to allow the full backs to get forward. The inference being without them so doing we're unable/unlikely to shoot. If the issue is wholly we're unable to retain possession and thus structure play, mention of full backs would be redundant.

So go on, what did I get wrong?

No, Major said our fullbacks don’t have any attacking intent.  I replied to Major on that point - that we don’t keep the ball in the final third to allow them to get forward (and therefore give attacking intent).  Nowhere did I say this was the only issue with our attack, nor did I suggest the full-backs were the root cause, I just explained the cause and effect.  Major suggests it’s a big problem.

There are numerous reasons why we don’t get the many shots on target.  It’s a team game.

That clear things up?

I have seen (on robins tv) several teams this season and been very impressed with the way they play triangles, 1-2's and generally have players constantly moving around,

and thought why dont we do that instead of either being almost static or the guy with the ball cant make a pass cos no one is showing for the ball. That has been a big difference

between us and quite honestly most of the teams we have played against even the ones whose league position is similar or worse than ours.

This begs the question from me what the hell are simpson, downing, pearson and holden before him doing in training everyday?

Archived