IGNORED

The Talent is There. Largely.

S_C

26 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

We've needed height and strength (and aggression) for years. Baffles me why its overlooked by our recruitment team again and again. 

I feel like a stuck record saying it to mates every transfer window 

Also some speed/pace without going long ball, we seem to be very pedestrian.  Of course to do that fast accurate passing is key.

Imo we’ve got a squad that’s been put together for 3-5-2 and nothing else. There’s a clear Plan A for this squad and no real plan B. It’s why NE was sold in the summer and why we have no wingers, they were deemed unnecessary by the manager (and quite a few posters on here when Eliasson was sold ?).

That means we have very little tactical flexibility which is why there’s a lot of square pegs in round holes when we move away from 3-5-2.

Aside from that, I think we’ve got the core of a top 6 squad, but as said earlier in the the thread we need those 3-4 players who can make a difference in those season defining moments. I’m not really sure who in this current squad would step up to the plate and deliver in a big game right now. Who’s a game changer? If the core players are given new deals, it’s a matter of quality over quantity this summer. If we have to go out and replace players like Weimann and Paterson who you need in a squad then we’ll have a much bigger job to do. 

8 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Imo we’ve got a squad that’s been put together for 3-5-2 and nothing else. There’s a clear Plan A for this squad and no real plan B. It’s why NE was sold in the summer and why we have no wingers, they were deemed unnecessary by the manager (and quite a few posters on here when Eliasson was sold ?).

That means we have very little tactical flexibility which is why there’s a lot of square pegs in round holes when we move away from 3-5-2.

Aside from that, I think we’ve got the core of a top 6 squad, but as said earlier in the the thread we need those 3-4 players who can make a difference in those season defining moments. I’m not really sure who in this current squad would step up to the plate and deliver in a big game right now. Who’s a game changer? If the core players are given new deals, it’s a matter of quality over quantity this summer. If we have to go out and replace players like Weimann and Paterson who you need in a squad then we’ll have a much bigger job to do. 

I don't get this 'we've got the core of a top 6 squad" . Comparing to Forest on Saturday I think only Bentley, Kalas and maybe Massengo would be equal to their opposite numbers. In general terms we are not matching the technical abilities, fitness, general awareness and tactical nous of other teams. Some of these can be coached but the ones based on personal attributes are where we are miles behind most other teams.

2 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

I don't get this 'we've got the core of a top 6 squad" . Comparing to Forest on Saturday I think only Bentley, Kalas and maybe Massengo would be equal to their opposite numbers. In general terms we are not matching the technical abilities, fitness, general awareness and tactical nous of other teams. Some of these can be coached but the ones based on personal attributes are where we are miles behind most other teams.

Agree, we've been on a decline for last 3 years. So this whole "top 6 core" is nothing more than a fairytale. We have a very poor bottom half Championship squad. Bloated with followers and not leaders. A squad of boys rather than men. 

17 hours ago, markcarter said:

Our squad is absolutely bang average for the Championship.  We don’t have players of sufficient quality to compete at the top. 

Barnsley are the epitome of bang average, I couldn't name one of their players yet their manager has produced a team greater than the sum of their parts.

As others have said it is not footballing ability we lack but ,organization, attitude and desire.

I am hopeful that NP, an experienced manager knows what is required rather than the last 5 years of haphazard recruitment with players being discarded at an alarming rate.

14 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Really? Imo: Kalas, Bentley, Dasilva, Weimann, Nagy, Palmer, Semenyo, Williams, Vyner, O'Leary, Bakinson, Diedhiou, Paterson, Mariappa, Wells plus the various youth prospects are good enough to be part of a top 6 squad. They're good enough to support better players, we need more but we have the core there. We need to actually replace Brownhill and Webster because we're still waiting, add a right back and some wingers and we're not that far away.

We're in the opposite position to a few years ago where we had a few stars surrounded by rubbish, we've got some half decent players that need a couple top players to bring them together. We are certainly off the pace of the top 6 right now, but with sensible business we can get back in the mix.

3 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Barnsley are the epitome of bang average, I couldn't name one of their players yet their manager has produced a team greater than the sum of their parts.

As others have said it is not footballing ability we lack but ,organization, attitude and desire.

I am hopeful that NP, an experienced manager knows what is required rather than the last 5 years of haphazard recruitment with players being discarded at an alarming rate.

Agree. Need the team to be more than the sum of their parts to achieve success, that was the case in the 14/15 and 17/18 seasons. If we can combine good recruitment with good coaching we should be fine, but we've not had either for some time.

16 hours ago, spudski said:

All the players are decent as individuals.

The problem is, we are a squad of all-sorts. There is no balance.

It started under LJ...and its continued...shuffling the pack, different formations etc, trying to find a formula that will work.

It's so disjointed...it's like oil on water.

We went from a pressing team and then introduced Fam. Imo...it's gone backwards ever since. We played narrow...then introduced Eliasson. Aimless balls into the box to no one.

One minute a flack back four, next a five and wing backs.

We bought players in a scatter gun approach.

LJ liked his Clubs in the bag for every situation. Instead of clubs that suited the course so to speak. It was like playing a pitch and putt with a bag of woods and long irons.

It's all over the shop.

Never a more accurate post about our transfer dealings that I have seen, spot on

It feels like this topic has been done to death recently. Who stays, who goes etc. Everyone has their opinion to which they're entitled to.

For me, I've long been of the opinion that plenty of the current squad are coasting because they're too comfortable, even more so this season with no fans able to attend. Paterson, Fam, Hunt to a lesser extend O'Dowda and Bakinson. Others -- Watkins, Moore, Rowe -- are good pros but lucky to be playing at this level, IMO. 

What does that leave us to play with? Bentley, Dasilva, Kalas, Vyner, Williams, Walsh (if he re-signs), Palmer, Wells, and the youngsters -- and not all of them will make the grade. I think we need up to 12 new players, mostly under the age of 26, with hunger to succeed and crucially a winning mentality.

Look back to when we signed Freeman, Ayling, JET, Agard, Cunningham, Pack, Smith -- all came through the ranks at big clubs and had the desire to get back to that level. Then we had experienced pros like Wilbs and Elliott, who rubbed off on the cream of the academy boys (Reid and Bryan). The perfect blend.

We need a similar overhaul of players to the one Cotterill oversaw in the summer of 2014. The earlier we get those players in over the summer, the better. 

18 hours ago, marmite said:

The backbone of the squad is already here albeit not performing atm. But imagine some of our squad playing against us. Many would be drooling over the likes on Nagy, Massengo, Palmer, Walsh in midfield. We would be dreaming of a striker like Wells and the power of Semenyo. The strength of Kalas at cb. The agility of Bents in goal. The youngsters on the bench just waiting for their chance.  Its here already and it just needs a catalyst to bring it together. I hope that is NP for my money. I'm fed up with the annual rebuild scenario at City. Lets add to the best this window not sell them. I live in hope, again!

I've got to be honest and say I think the backbone is exactly what we don't have.

I think we've got a lot of players who could play their part in a good Championship side but that we've essentially got the supporting cast but not the major players. We have lack of real leaders and we really lack the spine to support the side.

I'd agree goalkeeper is a strong position. Bentley is very good at this level and I think O'Leary would be good enough if Bentley left.

At left back, Dasilva is great if fit and I'd like Pring and Nurse to get a chance.  We probably need two right backs, although I'd like us to try to get Sessegnon, at the very least as another season long loan.

At centre-back, I think Kalas and Vyner are both more than good enough with the right partner but I'm not sure they are the right partnership in themselves and I think we need a centre-back who can lead and marshal the rest of the defence. 

In midfield it is a similar story. I think, rightly or wrongly, Nagy may have exhausted Pearson's patience but that Massengo, Walsh or Williams could all do well in midfield but we might again be lacking the right midfield partner to bring the best out of them.

We need more strength on the flanks and up-front, Wells is yet to convince for us and, again, maybe lacks the right partner.

Essentially I think we've got a squad from which you could easily assemble the supporting parts in the team but we lack the outstanding talents to make that team sing. 

11 hours ago, Mr Chappers said:

Who knows, we’ll start next season with whoever is appointed, and will find out in due course of the right decision has been made. The love-in with NP seems to be more blind optimism and ‘groupthink’ than actual results/ performances. 
See what happens and support the manager, whoever it may be.

Not sure it’s a love-in, but a recognition of hearing a manager identify the problems and look to do something about it.  He speak with clarity, takes responsibility, etc.  But if you purely look at results and performances you will only see part of the picture.

2 hours ago, KegCity said:

I said many times previously that if you go 352, you go “all-in” with it.

I will happily stand behind my comments re Eliasson.  Couple that with his contract situation and he had to go.  At least we got £2m for him, unlike Diedhiou.  Also, our own head-coaches didn’t play him regularly.

49 minutes ago, tin said:

It feels like this topic has been done to death recently. Who stays, who goes etc. Everyone has their opinion to which they're entitled to.

For me, I've long been of the opinion that plenty of the current squad are coasting because they're too comfortable, even more so this season with no fans able to attend. Paterson, Fam, Hunt to a lesser extend O'Dowda and Bakinson. Others -- Watkins, Moore, Rowe -- are good pros but lucky to be playing at this level, IMO. 

What does that leave us to play with? Bentley, Dasilva, Kalas, Vyner, Williams, Walsh (if he re-signs), Palmer, Wells, and the youngsters -- and not all of them will make the grade. I think we need up to 12 new players, mostly under the age of 26, with hunger to succeed and crucially a winning mentality.

Look back to when we signed Freeman, Ayling, JET, Agard, Cunningham, Pack, Smith -- all came through the ranks at big clubs and had the desire to get back to that level. Then we had experienced pros like Wilbs and Elliott, who rubbed off on the cream of the academy boys (Reid and Bryan). The perfect blend.

We need a similar overhaul of players to the one Cotterill oversaw in the summer of 2014. The earlier we get those players in over the summer, the better. 

....and Pearson’s time at Leicester saw recruitment in that type of player.  I usually use Trippier as my example.  Not good enough for Man City, drops a level with Burnley to get himself back up.  But with NP you could apply that to Drinkwater, De Laet, Matty James.  

Archived