IGNORED

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown flies in to address major issues at Ashton Gate

chucky

I’m not going to panic until something is announced. If we keep NP, a straight shooter, honest, experienced and successful manager, Great, all good. If we decide not to offer NP a deal and bring in a nice guy, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir yes man, I can honestly say that would be it for me. Until anything is announced, I don’t seem much point getting irate. It would be nice to get a resolution soon as this a vital step for the clubs direction. 

30 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see why it makes any difference if Pearson is appointed longer term next week or if it has been done a week or 2 ago.

They seem to have a verbal agreement that they both want him to be longer term. And Pearson is building for next season in deciding who we should try and keep on and who to release. 

There might be some things still need sorting with the contract or agreeing on a few things with how to move the club forward. There might be a lot of changes Pearson wants to make in the back room staff and recruitment. There's the stuff with the CEO too to sort out.

Obviously Lansdown needs to be here and get things sorted and then hopefully the deal will be done before the end of the season.

There has been no indication whatsoever from SL yet that this is the case.

His only statement was along the lines that Pearson was prepared to take the job until the end of the season.

Pearson is building for next season because that is how he works.

I know you always want to see the most rosy version of events but your version simply isn’t the case.

It doesn’t mean he won’t be appointed but it is by no means a certainty, either.

6 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Sorry? Not really sure how blackmail and LGBT groups have any relevance to what I said? I understand you're not a fan of Pearson so am a bit baffled why it's "blackmail" to wait and see who our manager is next season before renewing a season ticket, or have I misread what you've said?

Just more rubbish, ignore it. Those who blame NP solely for the results and performances are wrong. 13 injuries, about 11 players OOC in the Summer and players have downed tools since the Birmingham away game. 

We need an experienced Manager in charge of this club to sort it the **** out from being a soft touch that we've always been. Long term, it will be the right choice to have NP on board.

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

He’s got to get this done. Problem is, I have a nagging feeling that he doesn’t want NP.

He’ll have his eye set on a project, where he can claim that he’s spotted him and helped the development of a coach.

If we go up under NP, it’s Pearson’s success and no one else’s.

Or SL can look it like "I've paid for the PL facilities, my approach on the pitch doesn't work, I've seen how the Bears are doing it with an experienced manager and I want the same for Bristol City". 

He's a businessman at the end of the day. If he doesn't realise that the vast majority of us are fully behind Pearson and we want to watch his project, he will have pissed his customers off again at a time when ST decisions are being made. 

Fingers crossed he sees sense. 

Just now, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

We've had an experienced manager, for 9 games, weve got worse, scored 1 goal in what was it, 5??

If players have downed yools, then surely the buck stops at the manager who's job it is to motivate them? 

Or, does Holden actually get more credit for getting results from the same players and worse injury problems. 

I suspect if Weimann andDa Silva had been fit, we would not be having these convos. 

Holden was never ever the right Man to take over post LJ. The results were only ever going to go one day and I seriously believe we were heading into the relegation dogfight under him.

Results have not been great under NP, but this sort of appointment should have been made last Summer, but it wasn't. He is an experienced Man who I trust will know what we need this Summer to bring in and get rid of, if we bring in a Mark Robins who doesn't know our players and has not much experience at this level then we will be going down the same path as we did 10 years ago.

If you put Pep Guardiola in charge of this current squad I don't think the results change much. They are a very average group

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

I get an awful feeling the less than football savvy owner will let Nige go and get in yet another yes man.  Guess he will spend bulk of his time at Ashton Gate persuading MA to stay.  Worst of all worlds.  In near despair over how our club is being run.

If that’s the case, I certainly will not be renewing season ticket, it’s mostly down to Ashton, his appointment of Holden, and the recruitment that we are in the mess we are. Mr Lansdown please take note and onboard the feelings and opinions of fans, struggle to remember when things and fans felt so low and fed up with the club.

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Holden was never ever the right Man to take over post LJ. The results were only ever going to go one day and I seriously believe we were heading into the relegation dogfight under him.

Results have not been great under NP, but this sort of appointment should have been made last Summer, but it wasn't. He is an experienced Man who I trust will know what we need this Summer to bring in and get rid of, if we bring in a Mark Robins who doesn't know our players and has not much experience at this level then we will be going down the same path as we did 10 years ago.

If you put Pep Guardiola in charge of this current squad I don't think the results change much. They are a very average group

There's an argument to say that whilst Pep was stamping his style on such an average group of players results would get FAR WORSE before they got any better.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

There's an argument to say that whilst Pep was stamping his style on such an average group of players results would get FAR WORSE before they got any better.

Of course - Steve Cotterill, Gary Johnson, Danny Wilson right. Check their results out in their first 2/3 months in charge of this club.. It was poor..

History tells me that the Managers who tend to start well from a Managerial bounce at this club tend to go on and not do as well as expected.

We need to stick with Nigel, get a list of players he wants rid of and build again, not revert to a Lee Johnson type head coach to satisfy the kushty nature at this club

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Of course - Steve Cotterill, Gary Johnson, Danny Wilson right. Check their results out in their first 2/3 months in charge of this club.. It was poor..

History tells me that the Managers who tend to start well from a Managerial bounce at this club tend to go on and not do as well as expected.

We need to stick with Nigel, get a list of players he wants rid of and build again, not revert to a Lee Johnson type head coach to satisfy the kushty nature at this club

I see the fact that SL has flown in now as a positive and that he is looking to get things done. Others see it differently. If SL and NP are not a million miles apart on budgets, wages and staff I can see a fairly quick appointment and season ticket sales being better than the club could have reasonably expected in these times. Time will tell.

40 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

So, then It's blackmailing the club or 'else'  time then, despite results being poor and NP's so far worst ever stint at a club. 

Okay then. 

(Have contacted the club regarding previous issues and also other lgbt fan groups before anyone screams hypocrisy) 

Really cannot buy in to the NP hype and as I've already mentioned seems like a Pulis style reign. 

Heck, Benny did better with the kids and that's when we were truly ballsed. 

"Blackmailing the club".

Have a word with yourself.

He signed Danny Simpson. Get over it.

32 minutes ago, tin said:

Or SL can look it like "I've paid for the PL facilities, my approach on the pitch doesn't work, I've seen how the Bears are doing it with an experienced manager and I want the same for Bristol City". 

Quite. But it's not just the manager is it, it's the entire operation. We need a huge change from top to bottom. 

24 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

We've had an experienced manager, for 9 games, weve got worse, scored 1 goal in what was it, 5??

If players have downed yools, then surely the buck stops at the manager who's job it is to motivate them? 

Or, does Holden actually get more credit for getting results from the same players and worse injury problems. 

I suspect if Weimann andDa Silva had been fit, we would not be having these convos. 

To a degree I get the results concern.

However, the reason I’m impressed by Pearson is within a month he identified all the key issues on the playing side of the Club that have held us back since Cotts left.

These issues are not quick-fix. They are ingrained at the Club, from the very topped have spread throughout the playing and support staff - some of whom, I suspect, are not fit-for-purpose for a Championship Club with aspirations for Premier League status.

Does he have the solutions? Don’t know, but I suspect more likely to have them than most. 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see why it makes any difference if Pearson is appointed longer term next week or if it has been done a week or 2 ago.

They seem to have a verbal agreement that they both want him to be longer term. And Pearson is building for next season in deciding who we should try and keep on and who to release. 

There might be some things still need sorting with the contract or agreeing on a few things with how to move the club forward. There might be a lot of changes Pearson wants to make in the back room staff and recruitment. There's the stuff with the CEO too to sort out.

Obviously Lansdown needs to be here and get things sorted and then hopefully the deal will be done before the end of the season.

Verbal contract maybe, but it's still the signature that the fans want to see. If there is a possibility that we lose 4,000 fans @ £300 per ticket that's £1.2M lost plus any spend on club merchandise or refreshments then I think SL knows the way to go, and I suspect NP will be the first thing he wants sorted.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Pearson will be cheap, considering he's less likely to recruit utter dross. 

That is a brilliant point. In the world of vintage Italian shopping bikes, my mate always says. "buy cheap, buy twice" and it's right. Johnson was basically filling up empty sets at the club like a guy who has just started playing FM for the first time. If we had concentrated on a system & quality recruitment things may have been better. NP will have a plan, direction in mind and will want to bring people in to fit and compliment that. LJ couldn't decide on a formation from one week to the next, so how can you recruit for it?

I hope Steve realises that buying 8 players at £2m each and hoping, isn't as good as buying 2 players at £5m and knowing (as much as you can "know")

31 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

I’m not going to panic until something is announced. If we keep NP, a straight shooter, honest, experienced and successful manager, Great, all good. If we decide not to offer NP a deal and bring in a nice guy, yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir yes man, I can honestly say that would be it for me. Until anything is announced, I don’t seem much point getting irate. It would be nice to get a resolution soon as this a vital step for the clubs direction. 

I agree but, they have put us under time related pressure. Buy your season ticket now or lose your seat. If Lansdown goes all in with NP I think a lot of those fans wavering will be convinced enough to buy. It's a hard enough sell for the club as it is, many people with money worries, there has to be good reason to spend that amount of money.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I’ve always felt that Keith Downing was the man to take us to the promised land .

:whistle2:

If the promised land is the National League South you may be right.

As for Lansdown's visit, it may be shit or sugar. I imagine we'll find out very soon.

I just hope it doesn't go a bit frilly and Big Nige end up with his hands around the owner's throat.  :laughcont:

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That is a brilliant point. In the world of vintage Italian shopping bikes, my mate always says. "buy cheap, buy twice" and it's right. Johnson was basically filling up empty sets at the club like a guy who has just started playing FM for the first time. If we had concentrated on a system & quality recruitment things may have been better. NP will have a plan, direction in mind and will want to bring people in to fit and compliment that. LJ couldn't decide on a formation from one week to the next, so how can you recruit for it?

I hope Steve realises that buying 8 players at £2m each and hoping, isn't as good as buying 2 players at £5m and knowing (as much as you can "know")

I agree but, they have put us under time related pressure. Buy your season ticket now or lose your seat. If Lansdown goes all in with NP I think a lot of those fans wavering will be convinced enough to buy. It's a hard enough sell for the club as it is, many people with money worries, there has to be good reason to spend that amount of money.

You’ve got til May 4th before you lose your seat

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

If the promised land is the National League South you may be right.

As for Lansdown's visit, it may be shit or sugar. I imagine we'll find out very soon.

I just hope it doesn't go a bit frilly and Big Nige end up with his hands around the owner's throat.  :laughcont:

With Mark Ashton saying `Leave it Nige, leave it. He`s not worth it`?

Well, the pubs are open again and we`re getting back to some normality....................

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Doesn't?! That's absolutely the best outcome ? Live stream on Robins TV?

Disclaimer; I ,mozo, do not condone violence of any kind, and do not encourage it to be aimed at one's employer, even if they quite clearly are an ostrich.

Just now, mozo said:

Doesn't?! That's absolutely the best outcome ? Live stream on Robins TV?

Disclaimer; I ,mozo, do not condone violence of any kind, and do not encourage it to be aimed at one's employer, even if they quite clearly are an ostrich.

If MansionBet offer odds on the outcome of that prospective heavyweight clash, I don't think it would be worth sticking a fiver on the underdog. 

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

That's all fine and dandy Dave. But what if Steve doesn't want a manager that will spoil what we've achieved, like a culture of failure.

Then he takes all that comes with starting from scratch in looking for a permanent manager.

50 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Pearson is already planning for next season. If he had signed a longer term contract a couple of weeks ago, I can't imagine what would have been different since then.

I do agree with season tickets. But if he signs an extension in the next couple of weeks then that won't make any difference either.

Planning is the key word.  Executing that plan is the difference.  He can start recruitment planning.  Is he gonna start sounding out agents and contacts about availability for the benefit of a club he doesn’t know if he’s gonna be in charge of.  Especially if other Champ clubs are interested in him (Kid post earlier).  Not imho.  He’ll possibly keep that close to his chest at this point.  Plus undoubtedly lots of other little things that us outsiders won’t appreciate he has to do.

39 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Out of interest, have you ever managed people who are leaving your employment with no job to go to?  If you have what techniques did you use to motivate them?  Did they all respond in the same manner?

I have, in some cases it’s better they don’t even come in to work, they have a negative impact on others.  Others maintain professionalism to the end.

Re Holden, did an okay job results wise.  Performances started well (imho - many disagree) but dropped off a cliff.

And then looking at trajectory of results and performances near the end of his reign, do you think results would’ve much different, better or worse?  Do you think the contract strategy played a part?

Do you then think he would have the clarity (from experience) to understand the issues and progress us this summer?

Archived