IGNORED

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown flies in to address major issues at Ashton Gate

chucky

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see the club losing 4000 fans if he isn't appointed. They'll be getting a big crowd down there like last season im sure whoever is appointed. 

But my point is about when he is appointed. If it is in 2-3 weeks, and not now, then it would make no difference whatsoever with what you say. 

The club only sold 12K last season if my memory serves so that's 3K down on the season before. Covid is going to have an effect whatever people say and whoever the manager is.

37 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

You’ve got til May 4th before you lose your seat

Season ends May 8th, so if they wait until the end of the season to decide we won't know the manager before we have to buy tickets.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I've just sent an email to Supporter Services stating that I will not renew until either Pearson or one of similar experience and ability is appointed. No more rookies.

They either want us to renew or they couldn't care less.

Did you stamp your feet and tut?

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Alternatively if he comes over and gets the deal done he might get a pleasant surprise on the season ticket renewals front? He surely cannot be so out of touch to think that people will rush to renew when there is further uncertainty over the next Manager.

He must have been aware that the appointment of Dean Holden would be greeted with less than enthusiasm it didn't stop him then did it.

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Season ends May 8th, so if they wait until the end of the season to decide we won't know the manager before we have to buy tickets.

No I know but it gives you three weeks...no need to buy straight away. Things can change dramatically in that time.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

So, then It's blackmailing the club or 'else'  time then, despite results being poor and NP's so far worst ever stint at a club. 

Okay then. 

(Have contacted the club regarding previous issues and also other lgbt fan groups before anyone screams hypocrisy) 

Really cannot buy in to the NP hype and as I've already mentioned seems like a Pulis style reign. 

Heck, Benny did better with the kids and that's when we were truly ballsed. 

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Sorry? Not really sure how blackmail and LGBT groups have any relevance to what I said? I understand you're not a fan of Pearson so am a bit baffled why it's "blackmail" to wait and see who our manager is next season before renewing a season ticket, or have I misread what you've said?

I thought LGBT was shorthand for Long Ball Tactics. 
I didn’t know there were fan groups I could join if I liked that style. Well, I know one, they’re called the gas. I certainly wouldn’t write to the club about it? 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I might be wrong but I thought it was around 16000 in 19/20 season. Do they actually announce the total sold?

Not sure what the average attendance was, but seemed to be around 20 to 21k a game? Probably similar to season before as I can't remember it being in the high 20s.

It might have been 16K which means we did lose 4K last season, for obvious reasons I accept!!

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Pearson is already planning for next season. If he had signed a longer term contract a couple of weeks ago, I can't imagine what would have been different since then.

I do agree with season tickets. But if he signs an extension in the next couple of weeks then that won't make any difference either.

But there's a difference between planning for a job you might have and a job you do have. Once a long term contract is sorted then Pearson has much more authority, it's then "his" squad for say 3 years rather than another 2 months. Would imagine players and staff are currently thinking that any changes Pearson is making aren't necessarily long term, so aren't 100% committed to anything. Once he has a proper contract, he then has a much better footing to enact the changes that need to be made.

3 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I get an awful feeling the less than football savvy owner will let Nige go and get in yet another yes man.  Guess he will spend bulk of his time at Ashton Gate persuading MA to stay.  Worst of all worlds.  In near despair over how our club is being run.

Not sure why you'd think that.

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

We've had an experienced manager, for 9 games, weve got worse, scored 1 goal in what was it, 5??

If players have downed yools, then surely the buck stops at the manager who's job it is to motivate them? 

Or, does Holden actually get more credit for getting results from the same players and worse injury problems. 

I suspect if Weimann andDa Silva had been fit, we would not be having these convos. 

Bit of a strange anti-Pearson narrative your are stating. 
Since Pearson arrived we are won 3, drawn 2, lost 5, 11 points, -2 gd. 
The 10 league games prior to Pearson’s arrival were won 2, drawn 0, lost 8, points 6, -13 gd. 
I think Holden’s record over the most recent set of data (ie 10 games for each) is vastly inferior. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

To a degree I get the results concern.

However, the reason I’m impressed by Pearson is within a month he identified all the key issues on the playing side of the Club that have held us back since Cotts left.

These issues are not quick-fix. They are ingrained at the Club, from the very topped have spread throughout the playing and support staff - some of whom, I suspect, are not fit-for-purpose for a Championship Club with aspirations for Premier League status.

Does he have the solutions? Don’t know, but I suspect more likely to have them than most. 

Maybe Nigel has decided that SL is part of the problem and told him so .

SL is coming into to hand the club over to Nigel   Pearson who will then authorise the termination of Ashton’s contract and hire Mark Robins to take care of the first team.

the mueller report see GIF

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I might be wrong but I thought it was around 16000 in 19/20 season. Do they actually announce the total sold?

Not sure what the average attendance was, but seemed to be around 20 to 21k a game? Probably similar to season before as I can't remember it being in the high 20s.

My recollection was it was about 14.5k in 19/20, and 12k this season.

The other problem with looking purely at numbers is the number of reduced price / free season tickets.  Adult + free kid = 2 season tickets, so always gonna be difficult to compare apples with apples.

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Bit of a strange anti-Pearson narrative your are stating. 
Since Pearson arrived we are won 3, drawn 2, lost 5, 11 points, -2 gd. 
The 10 league games prior to Pearson’s arrival were won 2, drawn 0, lost 8, points 6, -13 gd. 
I think Holden’s record over the most recent set of data (ie 10 games for each) is vastly inferior. 

How interesting ?

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A lot of people (understandably) worried... but what if there's nothing to be concerned about?

We could end up with a best case scenario whereby Ashton leaves and Pearson signs on within the next few days.

I love your glass half full optimism......but by the same token, he could persuade his best buddy MA to remain, appoint an underachieving yes man and decide to spend all his millions on Egg chasers,   Basket chuckers and a Hamstring injury charity?   But my only cause for hope is,.........season ticket sales would plummet and I believe there would be a major backlash from supporters, still simmering from Holden's spectacular appointment.   It's all comes down to Uncle Steve I guess?  ?  Just praying that this time it gets it right? ?

20 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd rather we did go with him and sort it out soon. But another thing is Lansdown doesn't even know if he was going to be taking on a manager that is getting us relegated. It was always unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

He said on video that the first thing is to stay up. That hasn't been achieved yet. Even that one point could make all the difference, but i imagine Lansdown wants to put everything in place once he knows we will be a championship side next season.

I do hope you are right & completely agree that he probably needs to know we are safe, but let’s be realistic here.

Wycombe now need to win all 5 games they have left to overhaul us whilst we don’t get another point, their next 2 away games are Swansea & Cardiff.

Sheff Wed need a minimum of 16 points from 6 games, so have to go unbeaten winning 5 of them & again we have to fail to collect another point. If they lose to Swansea tomorrow then they already can’t do so.

Rotherham need to pull back a 14 point deficit on us whilst playing Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday & Tuesday over the next fortnight, so 6 games in 15 days. Incidentally one of those games is Coventry, if Rotherham win that Coventry need to overturn an 8 point deficit on us with only 5 other games to play.

It won’t happen.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I’ve always felt that Keith Downing was the man to take us to the promised land .

:whistle2:

Moses took the Israelites to the promised land remember.......

Mind you, it took him 40 years!

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I do hope you are right & completely agree that he probably needs to know we are safe, but let’s be realistic here.

Wycombe now need to win all 5 games they have left to overhaul us whilst we don’t get another point, their next 2 away games are Swansea & Cardiff.

Sheff Wed need a minimum of 16 points from 6 games, so have to go unbeaten winning 5 of them & again we have to fail to collect another point. If they lose to Swansea tomorrow then they already can’t do so.

Rotherham need to pull back a 14 point deficit on us whilst playing Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday, Wednesday, Saturday & Tuesday over the next fortnight, so 6 games in 15 days. Incidentally one of those games is Coventry, if Rotherham win that Coventry need to overturn an 8 point deficit on us with only 5 other games to play.

It won’t happen.

If this is any issue at all, we should just offer Pearson a contract with the stipulation of a wage reduction in the near impossible event that we go down. Or even a release clause.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Pearson to go elsewhere in the Championship, probably Blackburn or some other similar team with far less fans than us.

Sunderland, Ipswich, Blackburn all to get back to the Prem before us

Back ?  A lot of other teams have been in and out and back into the Prem many times since 1979-80

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I can't see why it makes any difference if Pearson is appointed longer term next week or if it has been done a week or 2 ago.

They seem to have a verbal agreement that they both want him to be longer term. And Pearson is building for next season in deciding who we should try and keep on and who to release. 

There might be some things still need sorting with the contract or agreeing on a few things with how to move the club forward. There might be a lot of changes Pearson wants to make in the back room staff and recruitment. There's the stuff with the CEO too to sort out.

Obviously Lansdown needs to be here and get things sorted and then hopefully the deal will be done before the end of the season.

Because in SL position there will likely be things that he needs to say to NP that may impact NP decision, some of these things  that he needs to say he probably won't want recorded and if its on video it's very easy to do that without him knowing. 

52 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. But i just don't see it being much of a problem it all being done with still time left before the end of the season. Loads of time. If it was dragging on once the season is over then I'd be getting frustrated myself.

It’s not a problem per se, but sorting the contract would bring some much needed stability. We need to sort the manager for next season ASAP to make the most of pre season, either give Pearson the contract or go and get someone new sharpish so that the manager has as much time to prepare for next season as possible. 

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We are literally in a once in a generation scenario with many players out of contract and an experienced, proven Manager actually throwing his hat in the ring having already had a 6 week plus head start, knowledge wise, on the existing staff. It would be a crying shame if we aren't able to take advantage of that.

I would say it would be negligent.
The possibility of losing millions more by relegation or stagnating is worse than making an investment in a proven coach and manager. I accept nothing is guaranteed but you have to give yourself the best possible chance.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, you’d kind of hope it’s a final sit down to:

- review the findings

- review plan to address findings

- if agreed, cost out the plan

then appoint NP.

If he doesn’t like the findings, god knows what next!

Yes agree. It's really scary at mo. Really not sure what SL next move will be 

Steve made the call to Nigel Pearson so I can see him standing by his man as he has done in the past. 

A contract offer to Nigel surely, as for Ashton could be an interesting conversation!

All players out of contract who is staying who is moving on must be on the cards?

Mr Lansdown has promised much and put his money in to finance progression yet so far not for filled, big Nigel is the manager he has been waiting for since Coppel let him down so badly.

9 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd rather we did go with him and sort it out soon. But another thing is Lansdown doesn't even know if he was going to be taking on a manager that is getting us relegated. It was always unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

He said on video that the first thing is to stay up. That hasn't been achieved yet. Even that one point could make all the difference, but i imagine Lansdown wants to put everything in place once he knows we will be a championship side next season.

Yep. But i just don't see it being much of a problem it all being done with still time left before the end of the season. Loads of time. If it was dragging on once the season is over then I'd be getting frustrated myself.

In which case,

Steve, just communicate that to us, through your CEO if you have to.

Not difficult to come out and say “although Nigel and myself are keen to prepare for next season, we won’t be announcing anything until we are mathematically safe”.

Archived