IGNORED

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown flies in to address major issues at Ashton Gate

chucky

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I thought the other poster was comparing 18/19 with 19/20.

Actually surprised we sold 12000 for this season. 

Sold with an expectation of:

1. Return to AG

2. Possible playoffs / promotion

Dont forget they went on sale in March!

51 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Because in SL position there will likely be things that he needs to say to NP that may impact NP decision, some of these things  that he needs to say he probably won't want recorded and if its on video it's very easy to do that without him knowing. 

Yep, economical with what he puts out there.  

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I've just sent an email to Supporter Services stating that I will not renew until either Pearson or one of similar experience and ability is appointed. No more rookies.

They either want us to renew or they couldn't care less.

2 hours ago, BoneyardTIM said:

Did you stamp your feet and tut?

If nigel gets a warm welcome from steve and doesnt get some questions about losing most of his games i would be surprised.... and if steve asks for some explanation of why he continues to lose too many games hopefully nige has got a decent explanation for it.... i was delighted with the appointment, but pearson hasn’t exactly pulled up many trees.

33 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Fwiw, Lansdown actually stated it was Pearson who reached out to us, not the other way round. 

He might have said that, but pretty sure it has been rumoured we made contact with 5 people on the Sunday to see if they were interested & Pearson was one of the 2 who said that they were.

Seeing as the other one (Paul Cook) has subsequently taken a job in League One & 3 who didn’t want to know haven’t taken jobs yet, (though one of them is being heavily linked with Celtic, another with Sheff Utd) I think this is highly likely to be true.

7 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

If nigel gets a warm welcome from steve and doesnt get some questions about losing most of his games i would be surprised.... and if steve asks for some explanation of why he continues to lose too many games hopefully nige has got a decent explanation for it.... i was delighted with the appointment, but pearson hasn’t exactly pulled up many trees.

They are talking regularly....I’m sure they’ve discussed this and many other topics.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

They are talking regularly....I’m sure they’ve discussed this and many other topics.

In which case why is steve flying over at the earliest possible opportunity to meet him face to face. Pearson has tremendous good will from the fan base, but if he gets it permanently and we get to christmas next year with the same form that hes currently responsible for, that good will would be long gone.

5 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You never miss an opportunity to go on the attack against SL and have been doing so for years,

What happened for this long standing grudge, did your pension investment go down, you did not get an interview for HL, you just don't like rich successful people or just a moaning old git

Just a moaning old git who knows a little about managing a multimillion pound business, and who doesn’t ethically like the idea of people dodging tax however legal it is, and someone who feels BS is not in City’s long term interests.

OK?  All of us long standing fans have as much right to express an opinion as anyone else!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, Nige said in a recent interview that he and SL speak several times a week. I just hope that SL is as impressed with Nige’s candour as most of us fans are.

1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Just a moaning old git who knows a little about managing a multimillion pound business, and who doesn’t ethically like the idea of people dodging tax however legal it is, and someone who feels BS is not in City’s long term interests.

OK?  All of us long standing fans have as much right to express an opinion as anyone else!

So based on that, you will never be happy with Steve Lansdown regardless of how successful we might end up being?

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

In which case why is steve flying over at the earliest possible opportunity to meet him face to face. Pearson has tremendous good will from the fan base, but if he gets it permanently and we get to christmas next year with the same form that hes currently responsible for, that good will would be long gone.

Why do you think?

Would you rather he wasn't appointed?

3 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Nige is not responsible for the current form - he’s inherited a poorly recruited and poorly motivated squad but has nevertheless done the job that SL wanted - to keep us the Championship.

I really hope they can come to an agreement.

38 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

We've been waiting more than 40 now! 

After speaking to NP so much recently, perhaps Steve L is coming down from his mountain with ten commandments for the club - as compared to the five pillars.

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sold with an expectation of:

1. Return to AG

2. Possible playoffs / promotion

Dont forget they went on sale in March!

Yes season tickets went on sale early for this season. I actually bought my season ticket on 24 Feb so probably explains why we sold as many as 12k despite COVID. 

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

No I know but it gives you three weeks...no need to buy straight away. Things can change dramatically in that time.

I'm just worried that we will coast up to the end of the season, results have been poor and Lansdown decides he doesn't stick with managers any more. We then spend another few weeks looking at managers and appointing one with little time to assess the squad , let alone time to replace and improve what we have.

In the scenario I would be struggling for a reason to renew, apart from the messages I'm getting on WhatsApp  going on about prematch drinks ?

5 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

You never miss an opportunity to go on the attack against SL and have been doing so for years,

What happened for this long standing grudge, did your pension investment go down, you did not get an interview for HL, you just don't like rich successful people or just a moaning old git

Couldn't have put it better!!!

???

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Why do you think?

Would you rather he wasn't appointed?

You would think that NP has utterly failed with a talented and hugely motivated group of players at his disposal rather than the rabble we currently have trotting out for us each week (those who can either stay fit or want to report as fit that is). Yes, results have been mediocre, I haven't heard one comment to the contrary on that but the point being missed is that he's had a massive head start on any future Manager we might decide to bring in if we kicked his arse out of it now. He knows what players have heart, which ones have ability, which ones will be able to play in his preferred style next season, who needs to be sold, what needs addressing off the field, what his budget would be etc. He can agree targets with the Owner right now and literally everything he could possibly need to know and do is at his disposal. No new Manager in our recent history would have had such a luxury and people are talking about getting rid because of a few poor results in an absolute disaster of a season where we have been outplayed almost every week from the fifth game of the season onwards.

The alternative is to boot him out, take weeks (at best) to find a replacement and that replacement has to come in, "assess the damage" for himself and start the whole process that NP has pretty much completed from scratch or, if SL doesn't want to hear what needs to be done for a second time, the new manager literally has to come in and be told what he is doing whether he likes it or not and get on with it on the basis that he is on a much heftier wedge than his last job and if he gets hooked at some point who gives a shit anyway, the gardening leave isn't to be sniffed at? On the above basis I know who my money would be on to make the necessary adjustments in recruitment in the time we have available before next season kicks off. In addition if we were to bring in Robins, as an example, I'm sure the guy would feel that he needs a well earned REST and time with his family before he even begins to think about what he is going to do with the mess that is Bristol City FC next season so we would be behind the curve YET AGAIN going into a pre-season. How many times do we have to make the same mistake before the message hits home?

All the above said, I think Pearson will get the gig within the next week or two.

I find it quite hard to believe that Lansdown will step off the plane with either Pearson or Ashton's future largely undecided.

All parties will be in frequent contact and, whilst it is of course possible hiccups could occur, I can only assume he is coming across to sign and wave off Pearson and Ashton respectively. The Pearson meeting is surely a formality. They both seem like the straight talking sort so I cant see either are going to drop any bombshells at the meet.

Whilst I think it's fair to say both Pearson's time here could have gone better and we'd be mad to let him slip through our fingers, we should remember what a coup his arrival was and, ultimately, conclude that he's impressed with what he's seen, what he's been told and, not to go off on a tangent, decidedly more confident regarding our prospects next season than most. 

I’ve been in the pub all afternoon so excuse the spelling mistakes (if any).

Quite wankly, the opinion amongst my mat3s is that if SL can not see an opportunity with our Nige, then he needs to Kaufman off back to his island, because we on ere ain’t putting up with no more Briz Spot shit.
You can shove yer season ticket up yer arse Steve!
Shambles of a whore house is Briz Sport.

4 minutes ago, S_C said:

I find it quite hard to believe that Lansdown will step off the plane with either Pearson or Ashton's future largely undecided.

All parties will be in frequent contact and, whilst it is of course possible hiccups could occur, I can only assume he is coming across to sign and wave off Pearson and Ashton respectively. The Pearson meeting is surely a formality. They both seem like the straight talking sort so I cant see either are going to drop any bombshells at the meet.

Whilst I think it's fair to say both Pearson's time here could have gone better and we'd be mad to let him slip through our fingers, we should remember what a coup his arrival was and, ultimately, conclude that he's impressed with what he's seen, what he's been told and, not to go off on a tangent, decidedly more confident regarding our prospects next season than most. 

I can imagine he has come over a week or two early, knowing that Ashton is on his bike and apart from the obvious budgets, wages and the like needs to have a pretty good idea of what NP's STAFFING NEEDS are. He won't have Ashton as his control on these matters whilst he's hunting for a new CEO and will need to know what NP's expectations are every bit as much as NP needs to know what SL's are. On that subject SL will want an idea of what NP expects from a CEO, where they fit in on transfers, who will mainly responsible for identifying players and the like. I can't believe for a second, just like you, that he will be minded to come over here now and then have to go through it all again in six weeks time with a new Manager (or interviewees if we put the job out there again).

If Pearson and Lansdown have been chatting regularly as NP claims, why would he lie, there will be very few surprises in store for Steve anyway. He will know before he even meets the bloke what he is going to be told and will clearly have an idea of salary expectation based on current salary. If Pearson is currently on say £15K per week he isn't going to suddenly ask for £45K per week I wouldn't have thought. If he does then Steve can shout it very loudly to all assembled as he launches Nige over the Dolman............

37 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Because he hasn't actually met him yet, Steve himself talked about the importance of talking to people face to face rather than zoom. If they agree on everything over the next few days about moving forwards why wait longer? There are many factors why the current form shouldn't be a big mark against Pearson.

Also as to why Steve's flying over at the first possible chance, because he hasn't been able to come over for a year, he hasn't yet seen the new training ground in person and to probably meet other people such as Ashton if the situation with him is as believed. So it won't just be for Pearson that he's flying over.

2 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

I’ve been in the pub all afternoon so excuse the spelling mistakes (if any).

Quite wankly, the opinion amongst my mat3s is that if SL can not see an opportunity with our Nige, then he needs to Kaufman off back to his island, because we on ere ain’t putting up with no more Briz Spot shit.
You can shove yer season ticket up yer arse Steve!
Shambles of a whore house is Briz Sport.

You'm totally Kaufmanned, me babber!

6 hours ago, mozo said:

Unless anyone knows better, I'd imagine Pearson comes at a premium rate for this level. An up and comer would probably be half the price in salary and bonus. 

but i expect his premium rate would be cheaper than a bloated squad of up and comers on the field that cant deliver

Archived