IGNORED

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown flies in to address major issues at Ashton Gate

chucky

2 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yeah, several times as it happens, just wound down one project as it goes.  Not that difficult to be honest, change management as well as tempering expectations and giving hope despite cutting apron strings along with whatever pastoral help is required.  Go out on a high, rather than a malaise. Depends on what type of manager you are and what your staff respond too. Which is easy enough if you have done all of your base metrics and personality tests etc..  However you do you..  

In terms of your second questions the great what ifs and impentrables. Navel gazing only helps if there's something to be gained and arguing over the hypotheticals is rather pointless if it gets no where. It is what you are trying to frame isnt it? NP is better than DH because of the 'infinite possiblities of your questions'...

Not really Harry, the stats were from whatever article was posted. Are you now coming up with different stats to try and bend some will towards things...  odd that that keeps happening and then 'oooh but look'.

If NP goes, he goes. If someone else comes in they come in. Not going to pedestal a 'failure for us currently' as a a messiah, when there's nowt to show anything has discernably changed. 

However dont let that stop yourself or others singing all of the praises 

Will catch up on the rest of the thread now

What stats are you working from then? 
The ones I gave are the 10 games since Pearson arrived vs the 10 games immediately prior to when Pearson arrived. What other sample of data would be more accurate and timely than that? 

As for your ‘singing praise’ comment, I’d respectfully disagree. I’m not lavishing any praise on Pearson, in fact I’m one of few on here who has questioned whether he will achieve what we want from him if he’s without his trusty steeds of Shakespeare and Walsh. His record without Shakespeare isn’t as good as with. 

But I will simply not entertain any argument that suggests that Holden was doing a better job. If Holden was still here, I am 100% certain we’d still be on 39 points and heading for the drop. 

32 minutes ago, eardun said:

Thought I’d have a look! I don’t have a clue as to how SL travels from Guernsey

He’s trying to reduce his carbon footprint!

Medwayp1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

But I will simply not entertain any argument that suggests that Holden was doing a better job. If Holden was still here, I am 100% certain we’d still be on 39 points and heading for the drop. 

The fans need to know who appointed DH, who we can trust and who we can’t. If MA does go to Ipswich Town is it because he was forced to front up this decision and has had enough. Or is it because he made the decision and is now paying the price. What’s JL’s role in all this and why has he now gone silent. 

As well as these investors I hope SL gives back to the city of Bristol and creates a permanent place on the Board for a fans’ collective.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just heard same just now - announcing Ashton leaving tomorrow.

Also that SL has told NP that if he still wants the job, it’s his....announcement not tomorrow.

Heard the same. Well, I’ve heard Ashton is gonner and announced tomorrow AM, but also heard Pearson was signed and sealed weeks ago and would only be announced when mathematically safe, so who knows!

1 hour ago, S_C said:

I find it quite hard to believe that Lansdown will step off the plane with either Pearson or Ashton's future largely undecided.

All parties will be in frequent contact and, whilst it is of course possible hiccups could occur, I can only assume he is coming across to sign and wave off Pearson and Ashton respectively. The Pearson meeting is surely a formality. They both seem like the straight talking sort so I cant see either are going to drop any bombshells at the meet.

Whilst I think it's fair to say both Pearson's time here could have gone better and we'd be mad to let him slip through our fingers, we should remember what a coup his arrival was and, ultimately, conclude that he's impressed with what he's seen, what he's been told and, not to go off on a tangent, decidedly more confident regarding our prospects next season than most. 

I think SL regards NP as a coup, similar to Pat Lam at the Bears. Regardless of the results I think he will give NP a chance . SL isn’t getting any younger and he himself said he doesn’t see Jon L sticking around for 30+ years.

I think this coming season will be a defining one as to what is expected of Bristol City , the clubs future and possible new investment.

3 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Yeah, several times as it happens, just wound down one project as it goes.  Not that difficult to be honest, change management as well as tempering expectations and giving hope despite cutting apron strings along with whatever pastoral help is required.  Go out on a high, rather than a malaise. Depends on what type of manager you are and what your staff respond too. Which is easy enough if you have done all of your base metrics and personality tests etc..  However you do you..

I’m pleased you’ve had good results.  Permanent staff?  Contractors?  Terms of termination?  Termination decision made by you, or just you carrying out the action?  Can all play a part can’t it?

In terms of your second questions the great what ifs and impentrables. Navel gazing only helps if there's something to be gained and arguing over the hypotheticals is rather pointless if it gets no where. It is what you are trying to frame isnt it? NP is better than DH because of the 'infinite possiblities of your questions'...

no, I’m trying to understand whether you think results / performances are a valid way of comparing manager performance and therefore your opinion on what Pearson’s fate should be?  Or whether there are other factors that should be brought into the equation.

Not really Harry, the stats were from whatever article was posted. Are you now coming up with different stats to try and bend some will towards things...  odd that that keeps happening and then 'oooh but look'.

If NP goes, he goes. If someone else comes in they come in. Not going to pedestal a 'failure for us currently' as a a messiah, when there's nowt to show anything has discernably changed. 

However dont let that stop yourself or others singing all of the praises 

Will catch up on the rest of the thread now

Lots of information being leaked at the moment. I can share the reason that Lansdown wants a face to face; it's because he only recruits managers based on smell. Candidates must stand in his office for upwards of 45 minutes as he works them with his highly sensitive nostrils. Hughton was a real let down, wearing a squirt from a 40 year old bottle of Joop! Homme, whilst Holden's natural aromas combined nicely with his Lynx Africa. I hear from Pearson's side that he had bathed with a bergamot scented bath bomb and will of course be sporting a splash of Dior Sauvage (what else?!) 

You can't do this stuff on Zoom calls.

4 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Whatever article was posted from , football something (not long finished work so cant remember exactly) that was nine games. Sorry that's not good enough for you. 

As for things regarding points. Would I be right in confirming your stats include middlesborough? thus boosting the results, it get's really dull going into stuff like this, so gets three extra points? 

As for what you've said. Ive mentioned not right fit for the club a billion times, It happens.  Not sure why everyone has to argue over literally everything. but hey ho

If because of Danny Simpson, I totally respect that.  It’s an uneasy signing.  My initial view is that I’d rather he hadn’t signed him, but read a few more bits including his partners stuff, and I sit on the fence.  Yep, that’s crap, but I could see both sides.

What are the non-DS reasons related “not right fit”?

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Lots of information being leaked at the moment. I can share the reason that Lansdown wants a face to face; it's because he only recruits managers based on smell. Candidates must stand in his office for upwards of 45 minutes as he works them with his highly sensitive nostrils. Hughton was a real let down, wearing a squirt from a 40 year old bottle of Joop! Homme, whilst Holden's natural aromas combined nicely with his Lynx Africa. I hear from Pearson's side that he had bathed with a bergamot scented bath bomb and will of course be sporting a splash of Dior Sauvage (what else?!) 

You can't do this stuff on Zoom calls.

I’ll have a pint of what you’re drinking @mozo???

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

So based on that, you will never be happy with Steve Lansdown regardless of how successful we might end up being?

At my age I can’t afford to wait another two decades!

As I have posted elsewhere this is the defining moment after 20 years of failure.  If NP is not appointed I think that is a clear sign that promotion is not on the table in my lifetime.

And yes you are right because even promotion won’t solve the ticking time bomb of BS, but promotion will satisfy my last few seasons.  The rest of you will have to deal with the fallout from the inevitable BS collapse.

11 minutes ago, Wolf Island said:

If MA does go to Ipswich Town is it because he was forced to front up this decision and has had enough. Or is it because he made the decision and is now paying the price. What’s JL’s role in all this and why has he now gone silent. 

Why are the appointment of Holden and Ashton leaving connected? No evidence of that so far, just guess work.

I'd imagine Ashton has been buttering up Yanks for a good while longer than August of last year when Holden was appointed.

8 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

At my age I can’t afford to wait another two decades!

As I have posted elsewhere this is the defining moment after 20 years of failure.  If NP is not appointed I think that is a clear sign that promotion is not on the table in my lifetime.

And yes you are right because even promotion won’t solve the ticking time bomb of BS, but promotion will satisfy my last few seasons.  The rest of you will have to deal with the fallout from the inevitable BS collapse.

Keep the faith, brother!

Tomorrow might just be a beautiful day. Or possibly the one after. Or the one after that...

Yes indeed, it's the hope that kills. Bring on the morrow!

If MA leaves does anybody have a clue or even any inside knowledge regarding what we do in terms of a replacement?  Will it be another CEO, a Director of Football, a manager (hopefully NP) plus an assistant, or some other scenario? 

7 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

If MA leaves does anybody have a clue or even any inside knowledge regarding what we do in terms of a replacement?  Will it be another CEO, a Director of Football, a manager (hopefully NP) plus an assistant, or some other scenario? 

I think Pearson might have a few ideas on that score, don't you?

But if SL doesn't agree, I'm not sure where that leaves us!

13 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I think Pearson might have a few ideas on that score, don't you?

But if SL doesn't agree, I'm not sure where that leaves us!

Well unlike any other manager we have had, NP has been there, seen it , done it. So I think his opinion will maybe carry more weight with SL than his predecessors have. At least I certainly hope so.

Just now, E.G.Red said:

Well unlike any other manager we have had, NP has been there, seen it , done it. So I think his opinion will maybe carry more weight with SL than his predecessors have. At least I certainly hope so.

You’re forgetting Danny Wilson...

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just heard same just now - announcing Ashton leaving tomorrow.

Also that SL has told NP that if he still wants the job, it’s his....announcement not tomorrow.

I’ll believe it when it’s announced on the only reliable source - the OS............:whistle:

27 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Well if NP does stay on I imagine that Steve Walsh will join as his contract at Charlotte FC runs out this summer. Could be an assistant or could be a DoF overlooking transfers. 

Shakespeare is a bit of a pipe dream he's at Villa with his Mate Dean Smith and he supported them as a boy. 

There is also the pipedream of some otib contributors whereby Richard Scudamore comes in as CEO backed up by the American Investment Company he fronts. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

If because of Danny Simpson, I totally respect that.  It’s an uneasy signing.  My initial view is that I’d rather he hadn’t signed him, but read a few more bits including his partners stuff, and I sit on the fence.  Yep, that’s crap, but I could see both sides.

What are the non-DS reasons related “not right fit”?

And I think that is the nail there, hit right on the head.. 

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Well that's cheered up my Monday. If that happens it will be melt down here.

Why do people predict ‘meltdowns’ on here as though that would be a major thing?! There’s currently 81 people on here - if they melt down why would it matter? 81 people - not a huge percentage of our fanbase really ...

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

And I think that is the nail there, hit right on the head.. 

if that is the reason, I genuinely have no issue at all, I respect her opinion, just like those who’ve decided they can no longer support City because of it.

I admire people with principles.

8 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

So, then It's blackmailing the club or 'else'  time then, despite results being poor and NP's so far worst ever stint at a club

Okay then. 

(Have contacted the club regarding previous issues and also other lgbt fan groups before anyone screams hypocrisy) 

Really cannot buy in to the NP hype and as I've already mentioned seems like a Pulis style reign. 

Heck, Benny did better with the kids and that's when we were truly ballsed. 

There are valid reasons for that, horrific injury problems, not a squad of his choosing & players like Fam seemed to have downed tools or totally lost confidence. All of which cannot be fixed in the short time he's been here but the plus side is that a player like Palmer (who I had written off) has now begun to show his value.

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

Director of football would be Pearsons ideal situation I should imagine 

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Whatever article was posted from , football something (not long finished work so cant remember exactly) that was nine games. Sorry that's not good enough for you. 

As for things regarding points. Would I be right in confirming your stats include middlesborough? thus boosting the results, it get's really dull going into stuff like this, so gets three extra points? 

As for what you've said. Ive mentioned not right fit for the club a billion times, It happens.  Not sure why everyone has to argue over literally everything. but hey ho

We’re not arguing Ralphy, we’re just having a discussion where we have slightly differing viewpoints. No argument from me, promise. 
Re the stats, I just did a quick pre-Pearson and post-Pearson snapshot.  If you wanna take out the Boro game and make it a 9 game sample, Pearson is still better. 

For what it’s worth, I don’t particularly agree with the Simpson signing either, not purely to do with his past but also I feel it’s a waste of money and another past-it injury prone has-been, which has played out. 

I also don’t agree with Pearson playing Lansbury as a DM. And I’m not convinced on his record without his mate Shakespeare. But I am 100% certain that he’s got us more points that Holden would’ve done - we’d be going down if he was still in charge and we’d all be looking in the mirror and dusting ourselves down. 

9 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I get an awful feeling the less than football savvy owner will let Nige go and get in yet another yes man.  Guess he will spend bulk of his time at Ashton Gate persuading MA to stay.  Worst of all worlds.  In near despair over how our club is being run.

I have been sharing that horrible feeling for some time myself. It will be nothing short of insanity if he lets Pearson go. Lansdown has made some disastrous decisions over selecting Managers in the past but to lose Pearson would top the lot.

Archived