IGNORED

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown flies in to address major issues at Ashton Gate

chucky

1 minute ago, Street red said:

Director of football would be Pearsons ideal situation I should imagine 

Could Mark Kelly run the football operation and Ashton Gate.  I assume if Ashton is off, Luke Werhun will go with him (or shortly after), so we will need a head of operations and club Secretary.

Chance for SL to reflect on the good and the bad of the set-up, and optimise.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could Mark Kelly run the football operation and Ashton Gate.  I assume if Ashton is off, Luke Werhun will go with him (or shortly after), so we will need a head of operations and club Secretary.

Doubt it. Kelly’s experience is in hospitality, nothing to do with football. Before he arrived here he’d worked in the hotel industry. I don’t see him as a football-man. He’s a very professional and likeable bloke and I’ve met and chatted to him numerous times, he’s good at doing what he’s currently doing, but I don’t see him as a football man. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wouldn't Steve Walsh be the ideal person, I think he would be perfect considering past ie Jamie vardy mahrez signings.  Unsure of contract recently joined in the last year but would we be entitled to compensation if Ashton left and save on his salary ?

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-title-hero-steve-3960479

26 minutes ago, Street red said:

Wouldn't Steve Walsh be the ideal person, I think he would be perfect considering past ie Jamie vardy mahrez signings.  Unsure of contract recently joined in the last year but would we be entitled to compensation if Ashton left and save on his salary ?

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-title-hero-steve-3960479

I’m talking about the Operations side.....we need a DoF / HoR too.  Walsh would appear to be just want we want too.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

What stats are you working from then? 
The ones I gave are the 10 games since Pearson arrived vs the 10 games immediately prior to when Pearson arrived. What other sample of data would be more accurate and timely than that? 

As for your ‘singing praise’ comment, I’d respectfully disagree. I’m not lavishing any praise on Pearson, in fact I’m one of few on here who has questioned whether he will achieve what we want from him if he’s without his trusty steeds of Shakespeare and Walsh. His record without Shakespeare isn’t as good as with. 

But I will simply not entertain any argument that suggests that Holden was doing a better job. If Holden was still here, I am 100% certain we’d still be on 39 points and heading for the drop. 

Small point but Pearson has been with us for 9 games not 10. He wasn't manager for Boro away. Holden would have likely picked up a point or two. No more than that though and by luck rather than judgment.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Small point but Pearson has been with us for 9 games not 10. He wasn't manager for Boro away. Holden would have likely picked up a point or two. No more than that though and by luck rather than judgment.

Technically he wasn't the manager, but he did speak to the players before the game and at half time.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’d thought that too, but surely his current remit is demanding enough plus, presumably, he’ll be heavily involved in the Sporting Quarter development too - especially given (as @Harrycorrectly says) his background is very much in hospitality and hotels. 

However, he does seem to have a touch of the Midas about him so who knows! 

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yep. I just did a pre and post Pearson. He was here for the Boro match but not technically in charge. As I later pointed out, even if you look at just 9 games, it’s still better than Holden’s last 9. 

I think you are glass ‘very full to overflowing’ in your assessment of Holden had he had those games. I’m convinced we’d have got zero points.  We’re not brilliant now, we were substantially worse under him and didn’t look like getting another point all season. 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, you’d kind of hope it’s a final sit down to:

- review the findings

- review plan to address findings

- if agreed, cost out the plan

then appoint NP.

If he doesn’t like the findings, god knows what next!

Or he could agree to the findings and the cost and realise he cannot justify the cost of Pearson. Oh boy, dug his own P45 there. En serio, much more likely Pearson will get the gig. It is quite simply the correct and sensible decision on SL's part. He knows it and we know it.

17 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A lot of people (understandably) worried... but what if there's nothing to be concerned about?

We could end up with a best case scenario whereby Ashton leaves and Pearson signs on within the next few days.

Very glad to see the filthy Manila air is still clouding your judgement... In a positive way. ?. i.e. the lingering after effects.

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I’d thought that too, but surely his current remit is demanding enough plus, presumably, he’ll be heavily involved in the Sporting Quarter development too - especially given (as @Harrycorrectly says) his background is very much in hospitality and hotels. 

Whereas Ashton has the Shitas touch....everything he touches, turns to shit! ???

(joke)

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Small point but Pearson has been with us for 9 games not 10. He wasn't manager for Boro away. 

Pearson might not have had much input - but he had enough.

Because all the players that night were playing to impress him, and him alone. 

Just them knowing he was stand in the stand watching was enough to raise the team's performance level a notch or two. 

That's why I'm counting it as a Pearson game (plus the fact we won ?)

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I know "the Midas Touch" has a different meaning now but if you go back to the original story, the king turning everything he touched to gold was about things going very, very wrong rather than, as it means now, going very, very right.

Apologies if you're well up on your Greek Myths and knew that already but I was genuinely surprised when I discovered that.   

Here endeth the "well I never" lesson for today. 

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I know "the Midas Touch" has a different meaning now but if you go back to the original story, the king turning everything he touched to gold was about things going very, very wrong rather than, as it means now, going very, very right.

Especially the first time he reached into his fly to have a pee!

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Apologies if you're well up on your Greek Myths and knew that already but I was genuinely surprised when I discovered that.   

Exactly. Meant that he couldn’t hug his children, eat food, drink, etc. Sounds like an early form of covid lockdown 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Especially the first time he reached into his fly to have a pee!

Yes, however depending on the "investment" at the time, he may have come out of the loo very, very much richer than he was when he went in!

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just heard same just now - announcing Ashton leaving tomorrow.

Also that SL has told NP that if he still wants the job, it’s his....announcement not tomorrow.

Well one of those things are true ! , let’s hope the other one is ?? When do we reckon an announcement would be made ? 

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m talking about the Operations side.....we need a DoF / HoR too.  Walsh would appear to be just want we want too.

Operations does need changing also it's definitely time for fresh approach to all aspects of the club even the general match day experience.

23 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

I get an awful feeling the less than football savvy owner will let Nige go and get in yet another yes man.  Guess he will spend bulk of his time at Ashton Gate persuading MA to stay.  Worst of all worlds.  In near despair over how our club is being run.

So you’d already made your mind up how this was going to play out. Delighted to see you’ve already been proven wrong on the Ashton front. Now let’s hope you’re also wrong about Pearson.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Tbf most of the Greek myths are about things going very, very wrong!

Pearson wasn't our manager for Boro. I don't care how much he waved his ego around in the dressing room or shone his aura down from the stands. It was a Simpson/Downing game and they get the credit for the 3 points. To pick up the Greek theme - Pearson would need to be pretty narcissistic to claim those points. His presence is clearly less than Achillean in the long run given the efforts of the players recently.

On topic re Ashton leaving. Overall a good effort from Mark, the infrastructure and foundations of the club are better than when he arrived, the playing squad perhaps not so much. I won't forget the 6 week debacle after Johnson left, imo he probably should have left then as well. But hey ho, on to the next one.

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Pearson wasn't our manager for Boro. I don't care how much he waved his ego around in the dressing room or shone his aura down from the stands.

No ego waving or aura shining involved at all. And I'm pretty sure Pearson himself is savvy enough not to take any credit for the Boro result.

I was coming at it from a player's view point - I'm 100% convinced that, knowing a new manager was sat in the stands and knowing the reputation of that manager, those players were energised in a way that Holden, Simpson and Downing had been unable to energise them.   

28 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Tbf most of the Greek myths are about things going very, very wrong!

Pearson wasn't our manager for Boro. I don't care how much he waved his ego around in the dressing room or shone his aura down from the stands. It was a Simpson/Downing game and they get the credit for the 3 points. To pick up the Greek theme - Pearson would need to be pretty narcissistic to claim those points. His presence is clearly less than Achillean in the long run given the efforts of the players recently.

On topic re Ashton leaving. Overall a good effort from Mark, the infrastructure and foundations of the club are better than when he arrived, the playing squad perhaps not so much. I won't forget the 6 week debacle after Johnson left, imo he probably should have left then as well. But hey ho, on to the next one.

Genuine question. What part of the infrastructure and foundations, which were in Ashton’s control, are better? 

Archived