IGNORED

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown flies in to address major issues at Ashton Gate

chucky

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

Genuine question. What part of the infrastructure and foundations, which were in Ashton’s control, are better? 

As CEO, and as a CEO who stuck his fingers into every corner of the club, I would attribute him some credit for the training ground, and for the improvement in the production of young players from the academy. I'd also attribute a limited amount of credit for the stadium, but accept that the genesis and most of the planning and fulfillment of that project is from before his time. Additionally something like RobinsTV is a monumental improvement on what was in place prior to his arrival.

If you can say with confidence that he had no influence at all over that stuff then fine - I've not read 8 pages of this thread to see if this has been raised - but as CEO he should have oversight across the entire organisation, and so yes I give him some credit for the progress that has happened over the past 5 years.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Genuine question. What part of the infrastructure and foundations, which were in Ashton’s control, are better? 

The stadium, the training ground, the non football income? I’m not saying this is all down to Ashton, but they are infrastructure items that have massively improved in the last few years.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I know "the Midas Touch" has a different meaning now but if you go back to the original story, the king turning everything he touched to gold was about things going very, very wrong rather than, as it means now, going very, very right.

Apologies if you're well up on your Greek Myths and knew that already but I was genuinely surprised when I discovered that.   

Here endeth the "well I never" lesson for today. 

A bit like the Canute (****) story - ie he set out to prove that he could NOT turn back the waves, not that he could.

Just now, Leveller said:

A bit like the Canute (****) story - ie he set out to prove that he could NOT turn back the waves, not that he could.

?? Apparently the Danish spelling of Canute is banned, even though it’s only an anagram of ***.

23 minutes ago, Leveller said:

The stadium, the training ground, the non football income? I’m not saying this is all down to Ashton, but they are infrastructure items that have massively improved in the last few years.

I am glad you are not because that would very quickly be a broken elastic band.

38 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

As CEO, and as a CEO who stuck his fingers into every corner of the club, I would attribute him some credit for the training ground, and for the improvement in the production of young players from the academy. I'd also attribute a limited amount of credit for the stadium, but accept that the genesis and most of the planning and fulfillment of that project is from before his time. Additionally something like RobinsTV is a monumental improvement on what was in place prior to his arrival.

If you can say with confidence that he had no influence at all over that stuff then fine - I've not read 8 pages of this thread to see if this has been raised - but as CEO he should have oversight across the entire organisation, and so yes I give him some credit for the progress that has happened over the past 5 years.

Having been awarded the EFL CEO of the year in 2019 (I think it was 2019) and also a seat on the EFL board, I would think he isn't shite at his job.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Having been awarded the EFL CEO of the year in 2019 (I think it was 2019) and also a seat on the EFL board, I would think he isn't shite at his job.

Mind you this is the same EFL that has overseen the introduction, implementation and enforcement of ffp! :) 

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Mind you this is the same EFL that has overseen the introduction, implementation and enforcement of ffp! :) 

Said enforcement is punishing Coventry (amongst others) for infringments that the government provided a further window for - punished for following rules the government set that the EFL didn't codify.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Ashton has nothing to do with the stadium or the training ground. Those do not come under the remit of CEO of Bristol City FC. They are managed by Ashton Gate Ltd. 
The plans, design and build for the stadium was agreed long before Ashton arrived - how does he get any credit for that? 
The designs for the training ground were created by the same architects (KAA) as did the stadium - so Ashton didn’t negotiate any new architectural contract after he arrived - these architects were already designing the training ground before his arrival. 
He has absolutely nothing to do with the stadium improvements, the training ground being built or the development of players from the academy (which as I’ve already said, the foundations of that were built by gaining cat 2 status back in 2013 through Kington). Any non-football income is also nothing to do with Ashton - again, that’s Ashton Gate Ltd, run by Griffiths & Kelly. Ashton is ONLY responsible for “all football matters”, nothing to do with any non football elements whatsoever. Oh, he stood there and took complete credit for the training ground, but he had no say in any of it. 

Edit - I guess there is some credit for the appearances of many academy players this year. If Ashton hadn’t signed such a shit group of aged, injury prone players, a manager who didn’t know how to put a pre-season together or manage players fitness and a medical staff who had the first idea of competence, then maybe they wouldn’t have seen any games. 

20 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Certain Awards mean nothing or are given to the undeserving by peers, friends and sycophants.

Alongside several other awards, the vile Jimmy Savile received the Best Club DJ Award three times.

Sleazy Sepp Blatter received numerous awards both from his peers and others.

I could name many others.

Awards don't necessarily mean that someone has been good in their field of work.

The fact that he was loathed (not just disliked) by such large numbers of City fans suggests that he didn't do a good job.

Certainly paid too much for what he delivered.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Tbf most of the Greek myths are about things going very, very wrong!

Pearson wasn't our manager for Boro. I don't care how much he waved his ego around in the dressing room or shone his aura down from the stands. It was a Simpson/Downing game and they get the credit for the 3 points. To pick up the Greek theme - Pearson would need to be pretty narcissistic to claim those points. His presence is clearly less than Achillean in the long run given the efforts of the players recently.

On topic re Ashton leaving. Overall a good effort from Mark, the infrastructure and foundations of the club are better than when he arrived, the playing squad perhaps not so much. I won't forget the 6 week debacle after Johnson left, imo he probably should have left then as well. But hey ho, on to the next one.

Pearson went on record and said the Boro win was Downing and Simpson.  Pretty sure it was after the Bournemouth game where he was asked “did you think you were gonna get 3 wins out of 3...” and he replied along the lines of “you can’t put Boro down to me so actually I’m won 1 lost 1”.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Ashton has nothing to do with the stadium or the training ground. Those do not come under the remit of CEO of Bristol City FC. They are managed by Ashton Gate Ltd. 
The plans, design and build for the stadium was agreed long before Ashton arrived - how does he get any credit for that? 
The designs for the training ground were created by the same architects (KAA) as did the stadium - so Ashton didn’t negotiate any new architectural contract after he arrived - these architects were already designing the training ground before his arrival. 
He has absolutely nothing to do with the stadium improvements, the training ground being built or the development of players from the academy (which as I’ve already said, the foundations of that were built by gaining cat 2 status back in 2013 through Kington). Any non-football income is also nothing to do with Ashton - again, that’s Ashton Gate Ltd, run by Griffiths & Kelly. Ashton is ONLY responsible for “all football matters”, nothing to do with any non football elements whatsoever. Oh, he stood there and took complete credit for the training ground, but he had no say in any of it. 

Edit - I guess there is some credit for the appearances of many academy players this year. If Ashton hadn’t signed such a shit group of aged, injury prone players, a manager who didn’t know how to put a pre-season together or manage players fitness and a medical staff who had the first idea of competence, then maybe they wouldn’t have seen any games. 

But, but, I saw a photo of him putting a spade into the ground!!!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Regardless of how you meant that comment it is ridiculously true.

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I wonder if Ashton’s work suffered with his extra responsibilities from the EFL post ? 

Good question, and I'm pretty sure a few people did bring this concern up on here when it was announced.

Could quite possibly have legs in that, as we have fallen away and lost momentum a bit over the past 18 months or so.

Does that then however, bring up another question: Was he more involved with the team than he should have been?

Ok, one problem solved and on to the next.

4 minutes ago, Taz said:

Good question, and I'm pretty sure a few people did bring this concern up on here when it was announced.

Could quite possibly have legs in that, as we have fallen away and lost momentum a bit over the past 18 months or so.

Does that then however, bring up another question: Was he more involved with the team than he should have been?

Who cares anymore ?

Next;

1. NP or not NP ? and for how long.
  2. Injuries; poor training, to much/to little or rubbish trainers/medical team.
  3. MA replacement
  4. Just how much IS required to build a promo chasing squad/team.
  5. Is my son ever coming back from hols.

45 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I've no idea how reliable, either but I do know one thing - Jon Boy isn't flying back from Bermuda for nothing... 

Is JL seriously relevant to this decision? I know that he's nominally the Chairman but it seems that only one man will be making this call.

7 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Is JL seriously relevant to this decision? I know that he's nominally the Chairman but it seems that only one man will be making this call.

We all know it's Steve's decision but I think it would look a bit odd if the club Chairman was out of the country when a decision as big as this was announced. It would almost be a public acknowledgement of Jon Boy's irrelevance, imho, and I don't think the owner would want to hang his own son out to dry like that. Just my gut feeling, though, nothing more. 

6 minutes ago, Calculus said:

yes of course he is he is the chairman its about time this club stopped pissing about 

1 hour ago, nellie said:

yes of course he is he is the chairman its about time this club stopped pissing about 

Yup agreed. 

Cue Jon introducing Pearson and new Ashton in Bermuda shorts, flip flops, and sporting a lockdown afro :laugh:

Archived