IGNORED

Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)

Harry

3 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Surely the whole point of appointing Ashton as CEO in the first place was to allow SL to take a step back and make less strategic decisions?

Carlsberg don't do Tuesdays, but if they did...............

Depends how you see it. The point could have been for Lansdown to step back and only be involved in making the key strategic decisions. 

1 minute ago, Blockb said:

I do not know if this is not allowed ? but I would like to congratulate kitr on his true story about Ipswich and a certain ceo 

Good point. It was a hell of a spot!

He left us in a much better position than he found us. He’s become the scapegoat for everything bad that happens at the club when in reality, beside all the hysteria on here, he did a decent job.

Who’s next in the firing line!? My bet, and perhaps more deserved, is Jon Lansdown, who has literally gone AWOL. 

Just now, Bobbie said:

He left us in a much better position than he found us. He’s become the scapegoat for everything bad that happens at the club when in reality, beside all the hysteria on here, he did a decent job.

Who’s next in the firing line!? My bet, and perhaps more deserved, is Jon Lansdown, who has literally gone AWOL. 

Similar to LJ, we needed to cut our ties and move on when their best days with us were looking likely to be behind them. 

1 minute ago, Bobbie said:

Best of luck at Ipswich Mark.... ?:whistle2:

• The title was changed to Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)
6 minutes ago, Sturny said:

“The club is in a great position to take the next step forward and it feels like now is the right time for myself to move on and embrace a new challenge.”

Next step forward being off a cliff with the way it was going 

Indeed - and who on earth says 'now is the right time for myself to move on' - so glad I never again have to listen to his pomposity!

5 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

Jon Lansdown was involved in kit designs, Mark Ashton was involved in investing over £50m in the transfer market.

Hope that helps.

43 minutes ago, Redland said:

The article says that Ipswich are looking to appoint a “top quality CEO”.

How anyone could take Ashton seriously when he thought that Dean Holden was the standout candidate for the managers job last summer is beyond me. The man clearly does not have a clue.

30 minutes ago, Redland said:

No I am not delusional. I appreciate that Steve Lansdown ultimately has the final say but it was Mark Ashton and John Lansdown who conducted the five week interview process and who made the recommendation to Steve Lansdown.  In subsequent interviews Ashton made it clear that he believed Holden was the best candidate to take us to the next level.

Were you in the interviews? If not, you've no idea how everyone came across.

I'm sure many of us have conducted interviews where the best person "on paper" came across as completely the wrong fit, or arrogant etc and someone you weren't expecting much of said and did all the right things.

I think it's a shit stick to beat the club with because it's quite plausible that Holden said all the right things but couldn't transfer it into action.

I said at the time and I still maintain that I believe part of the reason it took so long is because they were so unsure about appointing Holden, but he interviewed that well and was so convincing that he knew the problems and could solve them that they took a chance - but covered themselves with the 1 year contract.

As for Ashton, careful what you wish for. If you think he's the root of all our problems I think some may be in for a surprise

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The night we beat Man Utd you could say that.

But as of today, right here right now, well we were in a downward spiral, heading back to League 1, until Pearson arrived. 

In fact, I'm talking sh!te for a change - how many of the team that beat Man Utd was Ashton responsible for recruiting???? 

Thanks to Ipswich for taking him and to Mark for going. 

Seems outside events may help City move forward if we now get a better structure and personnel in place to improve recruitment and help NP?.

Shame we couldn’t rely on SL to do it but done now thankfully so next appointments are crucial. Over to you SL.

Certain a Champagne Tuesday ?

9 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Indeed - and who on earth says 'now is the right time for myself to move on' - so glad I never again have to listen to his pomposity!

Just be thankful he didn't refer to himself in the third person. 

I’ve sort of become ambivalent with all things Bristol City recently, possibly because of our downward spiral, but more likely because of personal events not connected to football.

But this appears to be encouraging news. I wonder if it gives NP to surround himself with his team. That’s the exciting part. 

It’ll be interesting to see where this goes. Whether he was good or bad (I think we know the likely answer), Mark Ashton never did himself any favours when he spoke and I think this was one of his major issues, that and his and LJ’s love of signing by and large sub par players. 

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I'm sure many of us have conducted interviews where the best person "on paper" came across as completely the wrong fit, or arrogant etc and someone you weren't expecting much of said and did all the right things.

I think it's a shit stick to beat the club with because it's quite plausible that Holden said all the right things but couldn't transfer it into action.

I said at the time and I still maintain that I believe part of the reason it took so long is because they were so unsure about appointing Holden, but he interviewed that well and was so convincing that he knew the problems and could solve them that they took a chance - but covered themselves with the 1 year contract.

As for Ashton, careful what you wish for. If you think he's the root of all our problems I think some may be in for a surprise

Oh come on...no one could have seriously thought Dean Holden the right appointment, regardless of what he said. The fact he'd worked at the club for years should have made that even more obvious to those in the room. He was wet behind the ears as a manager and had none of the qualities needed to move the club forward. At the time some of us had to go along with the idea that maybe he had something we couldn't see, and humour those on here who want to believe everything they are told. But Holden was an appalling appointment, out of his depth, as - in truth - was the man he replaced.

Mark Ashton thinks he talks a good game. In fact he doesn't, as we have all become aware. He alienates people. I don't think that's his intention, but he does. I'm led to believe by those who've met him that he's a highly respected salesman. Which is great when you have assets to sell that others want. Being a good salesman doesn't maker you a good investor...as our current first team squad shows. He is, of course, not the root of all our problems. That lies in the consistent inability of the club's owner to make the right appointments!

I think it’s far likelier Ashton chose to leave than was pushed.

I’m not ITK, not pretending to be, but it seems clear Holden was a Lansdown appointment and Ashton has bore the brunt. Due diligence ensures you present the incumbent as an option. Lansdown wanted Holden, Ashton didn’t, Holden appointed, Ashton blamed. Pretty sure Lansdown took responsibility for the appointment in an interview but people don’t want to listen to that, so they don’t.

Glad that he’s gone, think it leaves the club with a much healthier air, but reaction all a bit OTT for me. People need someone, something, anyone, anything to blame after this shambles of a season. He made mistakes of course, this isn’t a defence of him, but I think in all likelihood the call was his and if Lansdown had his way he’d still be with us.

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Agre with this although him going isn't the only moving part at the club currently, sadly we have gone from being unbelievably stable with the Johnson and Ashton double act which provided us with a near guaranteed top half finish in the Championship (something we've never really had before) to the club now being in a position where currently we have no CEO and 1st Team Management and only half of a first team squad in place as of June 1st which is only 6 weeks away!

There are going to be some huge decisions to be made by the Lansdown family over the next fortnight or so that will have lasting consequences. If the correct decisions are made then all is not lost and the last 5 years can be seen as good building blocks for the future, if this goes wrong then we could well be looking at another stint in League 1 which would be catastrophic given how far we've come off the pitch since the last promotion.

Archived