IGNORED

Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)

Harry

3 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Anyone know if he was fired and compo was given or whether the club made money from ipswich *ahem* stealing him away?

He's a regular employee, same as most people - he will have handed in his notice and walked away. No different to most other jobs.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Of course he did...

Hey, I can't stand the bloke (Ashton), but Cotts was the architect of his own downfall.  That's been argued to death though and there'll never be a consensus on the merit of his departure.  The facts as known and reported are that Cotterill left on 14 Jan and Ashton came in on 16th.  It may very well be that he said he felt we were in danger of the drop and possibly were in need of a change.  Many would agree with that assessment, many wouldn't.  I think persisting with LJ was ultimately more damaging than the dismissal of Cotts.

Anyhow....delighted he's finally going.

19 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I fear we completely disagree - which is fine on a football forum! I knew Dean Holden wasn't the man for the job. I was 100% certain. I wasn't alone. I knew Lee Johnson had outstayed his welcome long before he went. I was 100% certain we were never going to get promoted under him. I wasn't alone in that either. I'd have sacked him after that losing streak that followed the cup run.

It's frustrating that it takes time for Steve Lansdown to catch up....but there we go!

You never know SL might read this and want to tap into your superior grasp of the situation

23 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Pearson to replace Ashton and Robbins or another comes in as manager? 

Just a thought.

Pearson said himself on joining he despises dealing with player negotiations and agents. 

I personally reckon we'll be in for Walsh and bringing back some NP older staff. 

Mike Stowell anyone?

"After a win and two defeats, Nigel Pearson was re-appointed as Leicester manager and Stowell was made goalkeeping and first-team coach. He was at the King Power Stadium when the "Foxes" won the Premier League title in the 2015–16 season.[22]"

1 hour ago, One Team said:

I found his statement interesting in that he thanks the Lansdown family and the staff but not the fans. Maybe the feeling is mutual?! ?

Ashton would’ve absolutely loved the last year. 
No fans in the ground. It was almost as if he was being given his own private show. He would’ve loved the fact that HE was entitled to watch football whilst the rest of us missed out. He was happy that he could take his mate Werhun to games with him. He also had the arrogance to take his girlfriend along too (totally against Covid regs).
No one at the club liked him. That comes from many different sources within the club - players and staff (not high profile staff, but just regular folk employed in various parts of the organisation). 

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And this is precisely what Ive said and really believe. MA is a fantastic scape goat for a much much wider failure across the club. His departure in isolation does not change the direction of travel.

Surely that is precisely the role of a CEO? Every company I have worked for has changed to some degree with a change at that level. Every person who becomes a CEO because they have an ego the size of a planet and believe they can change things for the better.

Assume it was Ashton who decided that a major root and branch upheaval was required to Cotts legacy whereas a bit of judicious pruning was only required.

He’s created a monster in his name now.

The hard infrastructure maybe is now in place, for which others no doubt played a far greater role in delivery, the playing side for which Ashton is responsible - and that’s the entire set up -  is as bad as I can remember. 

31 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

He arrived 2 days after Cotterill as part of a restructure.

That’s what’s in the official comms. 
Doesn’t match up with the fact that I been made aware of his appointment in December. Lansdown wanted Cotterill out but the board kept overruling him. Lansdown brought Ashton in to ‘verify’ the ‘problem’ that had occurred in the previous summer with recruitment. Ashton backed up Steve’s thinking and Cotterill was history. The announcement of Ashton post-sacking was designed to ensure Ashton took no responsibility for the sacking. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

That’s what’s in the official comms. 
Doesn’t match up with the fact that I been made aware of his appointment in December. Lansdown wanted Cotterill out but the board kept overruling him. Lansdown brought Ashton in to ‘verify’ the ‘problem’ that had occurred in the previous summer with recruitment. Ashton backed up Steve’s thinking and Cotterill was history. The announcement of Ashton post-sacking was designed to ensure Ashton took no responsibility for the sacking. 

Out of likes here mate but what a post! ?

I find myself fairly unfazed about the Mark Ashton situation. I never saw him as a pantomime villain and certainly didn't subscribe to the views of the many conspiracy theorists on here, some of whom no doubt believe everything written in a Dan Brown book, that he was responsible for all the ills befalling City. However I think his tenure as City's CEO could be described as patchy at best. On the plus side I think he has some organisational skills and he achieved some remarkable prices for the sales of Webster, Kelly etc. But on the negative side the recruitment could rank as 5/10 at best and while he seemed candid there was clearly a nagging doubt among the fanbase as to whether all he said was true. We move on just hoping for improvement. 

47 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Anyone know if he was fired and compo was given or whether the club made money from ipswich *ahem* stealing him away?

The other scenario is Ashton might have been rumbled for facilitating the takeover of Ipswich while being on City's payroll. In some circles that could amount to gross misconduct, but I'm sure Ashton has managed his own PR. Good riddance to the slimy shit. 

41 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Pearson said himself on joining he despises dealing with player negotiations and agents. 

I personally reckon we'll be in for Walsh and bringing back some NP older staff. 

Mike Stowell anyone?

"After a win and two defeats, Nigel Pearson was re-appointed as Leicester manager and Stowell was made goalkeeping and first-team coach. He was at the King Power Stadium when the "Foxes" won the Premier League title in the 2015–16 season.[22]"

Stowell is still in post at Leicester, so are you seriously suggesting he would be looking to leave a team highly likely to be in the Champions League next season, in the part of the world that he played for nearly all his career, to join us?

Ok then..

Archived