IGNORED

Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)

Harry

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

Not sure if today’s the day , but Mrs Downend tells me that tonight’s the night so better break out the Brut aftershave! :) 

Are you going to splash it all over or drink it.

16 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

As he slithers away up the M4, I would personally like to thank Mark Ashton for the tremendous job he's done this season. Huh? Well... 

1) At least in part, Mark appointed Dean Holden.

Result? When the going got tough, Holden proved epically ill equipped and made a mess on the floor (to coin a phrase). Such a stink of a mess, Guernsey was forced (albeit whilst kicking and screaming "No, no, I want another pet project") into appointing a new manager with the proper credentials. The sort of manager he should have appointed 5 years ago. But we would never have got to Nigel Pearson without someone firstly being so bad they were threatening to get us relegated (Lansdown's ultimate red line).

So thank you Mark. And Dean, while we're at it. What a waste of a season but at least, if Pearson stays, the end result is that we have a manager we can believe in, who the players  can believe in.        

2) Mark allowed a dozen or more player contracts to expire at the end of this season without renewal.

Result? An opportunity for a new manager to instantly rebuild the squad in his image, slash an obese wage bill, get rid of several players who were inconsistent, over paid, or injury prone. Sometimes all these at the same time. By the start of next season, the playing squad will look a lot healthier. Literally!

3) The manager Mark appointed and the players he demotivated turned out to be so sh!te, we've had to resort to playing some of the kids - The Pathway, The Pathway!! Mark has cleared the pathway! And with it, we've seen a glimpse of the future - Towler, Pearson, Bell (sorry Tyreeq, you're on the naughty step until you pull your socks up)

So thank you Mark, you played a blinder.

Now fck off.

And take all your mates with you. 

On the subject of slithering, perhaps the players could lie in the grass on their bellies before KO on the last game of the season to acknowledge Ashton’s leaving... 

?

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Difficult to say really somewhere between the Cup Semi Final and the January of the following season in terms of style of football under Johnson where we lost that spark we had, that being said resuls and league positions stayed relatively stable even despite the general turnover in players due to sales / injuries.

I don't necesarily agree that its down to the 14/15 squad leaving, thats football in some respect not many clubs will have many of the same players that they had 6 years ago and in the most part they were replaced with better quality players. I think the departures of Webster and Brownhill (both bought after the 14/15 season) have probably been the deathknell in terms of maintaining a reasonable league position i.e. 10th and above and were better players than their respective double winners i.e. Flint or Pack / Smith and it is the failure to replace those two that has led to our current freefall.

I don't think all is lost and hopefully the right appointments can be made to bring the club back together again, establish a consistent way of playing (preferably including attractive football at home at least)and push us back up the league.

Hey, that’s fair enough.

But you’d think that with £20m+ net from those two we could’ve done better with it?

There is no way Ashton only got a call in the last few days and just handed his notice in. This sort of move must of been in the works for months if not longer in informal terms.

Glad we are rid. Once you've decided to move on, your hearts just not in it, regardless of how we rate his performance, that's just not good for business.

Hope a successor is announced soon.

Just read through all the comments - ?   Has the forum ever been so united? - we love Nige - hated Ashton!

Two genuine questions from me.   

Firstly some of you seem convinced that DH was SL's appointment not MA's.      Most of us on here can only  guess, but some of you seem closer to the situation than others.    What's the story here?  I watched the notorious press conferences a couple of times and I was certain it was MA's process and decision but you've made me question that.   Certainly Sonny Jon was part of the process so would have been influential if prompted I guess.

Secondly, Ashton gets praise for getting big transfer fees,  but is there a sensible comparison to be made to previous eras to say he did better than anyone else?  He had quite a good hand to play at the outset in terms of quality to sell and there was known competition for some of them, and it was  a time of generally inflated transfer prices.   My memory is shot but I can't think of a time when we had as many players of premiership quality  to sell or if we ever  failed to get market value for any individual future star?

32 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I must say I have to agree with that. We know where the issue is and has been for a long time. Unfortunately the issue bankrolls the club. What we can "hope" for is a replacement who has enough balls and clout to be able to gently nudge the Owner in the right direction from time to time rather than just being a hatchet man for the Owner. If that doesn't happen then I agree with your general point (it doesn't even matter whether we both agree on the cause or not), expect more of the same.

I have some sympathy with this, but as I've tried to argue on numerous occasions in the past, I think it's less about the individual failings of one person and more about the dynamics of the relationships between the various members of this very small, elite group that controls everything that happens at Ashton Gate. A rich, powerful but largely absentee owner; his son, who presumably is there to act as SL's eyes and ears within the club; and the CEO. I know neither of them in person, but if JL is as ineffectual as he has been painted (and his rare public appearances do not inspire confidence) and MA is as self-serving, devious and manipulative as he has been portrayed, then the result is simply a dysfunctional mess. A clever but narcissistic operator like MA - again, if these allegations against him are well-founded - will run rings around someone like JL, and SL is not close enough to the day-to-day running of the club to see what is happening. 

I cannot see how any organisation can deliver successful long-term outcomes under those circumstances. My worry is that NP, who clearly is no mug, will have perceived all this and have second thoughts about remaining, and further upheaval at the top caused by MA's departure will do little to help, even if those who say we are well rid of him are right.

MA was clearly good at some things, in particular the negotiation of some startlingly good deals for the sales of out better players, but whatever you think of him, his departure now leaves a huge vacuum where there was already a worrying failure of leadership. JL couldn't, in any case, provide anything approaching the strength of character that his father possesses, but whilst I cannot for the life of me make head nor tail of what is supposedly going on with him at the moment, one thing that does seem to emerging is that he will be even less of an influence henceforth. The appointment of MA's successor, seen in this context, or a major restructuring of roles, or both, now become absolutely crucial to the club's future. They haven't got long to get it right: the next few weeks will be decisive. Cock this one up, a la Holden, and the consequences will be dire.

The problem now could be that approaching arguably our most important summer window in many years and the appointment of a long term manager we have to trust in MA to make the right calls until June. Preparation is all important so do we have to rely on his plans and ideas or are we going in-house for the new CEO to get a ‘smooth transition’ to carry on MA’s ‘good works’ It doesn’t fill one with confidence I have to say. 

55 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Werhun to join him too, according to ITFC article 

Where does it say that?  Not that I’m surprised.

Who is losing their job to accommodate Werhun.

9CC6F01F-16B4-4269-812D-3B77ED5E9A12.thumb.jpeg.d6627335133061c0eab920fece44eace.jpeg

When does Dave Bowman (a McCarthy man) lose his job so that Ashton can oversee Recruitment.  This Dave Bowman is not the one who used to play for Coventry in the 80s.

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Just had a look at the Ipswich forum and they seem to think he is a great acquisition and we do not appreciate what he has done for us, such as the training ground with SLs money. 

Incredible. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hey, that’s fair enough.

But you’d think that with £20m+ net from those two we could’ve done better with it?

Yes to answer your question but recrutiment is not the only thing thats started to fail in the last 18 months, in fact I don't think its even the biggest failing.

WHilst I understand that the majority of people on this forum are happy to see MA's departure I really don't think it is the silver bullet most people think it will be and actually destabilises the club at a time we needed it the least.

11 minutes ago, Daniro said:

but is there a sensible comparison to be made to previous eras to say he did better than anyone else

To be fair just compare us to other Championship clubs. £20 million for Webster was a terrific price, and so was £13 million for Lloyd Kelly.

Also he did great business getting us Jay DaSilva for I believe only £2 mil.

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly. 
In his words it’s “right that I devote my time to BCFC for the rest of the season”. 
No, it’s not right at all. He is responsible for contract negotiations with players (existing and new). He has no business doing this for us now and it’s a massive conflict of interest. 

But, but, but.... It says he's loyal with high integrity so what could possibly go wrong?

???

Archived