IGNORED

Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)

Harry

23 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Out of interest, which player out on loan was Tinnion watching when he spotted Eliasson? 

Engvall??

Didn’t Tinnion get asked to watch Eliasson for what I believe was the second time to confirm the original opinion?

Can’t recall who watched him initially, presumably it was LJ?

Also Eliasson was specifically quoted by LJ as one (Szmodics was the other) where the data on him was considered so overwhelming as to make us sign him.

No idea if Engvall was back in Sweden at the time, could well have been, but that’s my recollection of events.

Back to the original suggestion, if Tinnion wanted to get more involved in the scouting side, presumably at the expense of his current role, I’d be more than happy with that.

47 minutes ago, lenred said:

This was my thoughts. Any chance this Ipswich business could’ve been in the planning even back then and that Cook was ‘overlooked’ for the job here as a result? 

It’s like Line of Duty

18 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Just had a look at the Ipswich forum and they seem to think he is a great acquisition and we do not appreciate what he has done for us, such as the training ground with SLs money. 

Give it time.

From memory the reaction to his appointment here was mainly positive despite Watford fans barely having a good word to say about him.

13 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

WHilst I understand that the majority of people on this forum are happy to see MA's departure I really don't think it is the silver bullet most people think it will be and actually destabilises the club at a time we needed it the least.

You could well be right.

But I'm afraid we're all too overcome by joy and delight at today's news to be thinking about the implications for tomorrow just yet.

Barman, doubles all round again if you please!

Make that trebles.

And keep 'em coming! 

Regarding Cook, you'd assume he'd have been made aware of Ashton's impending arrival at Ipswich when he agreed to take the job.

Similarly, you'd assume Pearson would have been told Ashton was on his way out of here when he agreed to join, presumably with a view to staying beyond the summer.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Regarding Cook, you'd assume he'd have been made aware of Ashton's impending arrival at Ipswich when he agreed to take the job.

Similarly, you'd assume Pearson would have been told Ashton was on his way out of here when he agreed to join.

Why ? Was it all set in stone at that time ? Immaterial now anyway so let's just move on one way or another.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Didn’t Tinnion get asked to watch Eliasson for what I believe was the second time to confirm the original opinion?

Can’t recall who watched him initially, presumably it was LJ?

Also Eliasson was specifically quoted by LJ as one (Szmodics was the other) where the data on him was considered so overwhelming as to make us sign him.

No idea if Engvall was back in Sweden at the time, could well have been, but that’s my recollection of events.

Back to the original suggestion, if Tinnion wanted to get more involved in the scouting side, presumably at the expense of his current role, I’d be more than happy with that.

This was my initial recollection, too, I must admit.

Eliasson identified by some analyst bod, followed up by Tinnion watching him in the flesh. Whether that coincided with Engvall or not, I can't remember.   

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I find myself fairly unfazed about the Mark Ashton situation. I never saw him as a pantomime villain and certainly didn't subscribe to the views of the many conspiracy theorists on here, some of whom no doubt believe everything written in a Dan Brown book, that he was responsible for all the ills befalling City. However I think his tenure as City's CEO could be described as patchy at best. On the plus side I think he has some organisational skills and he achieved some remarkable prices for the sales of Webster, Kelly etc. But on the negative side the recruitment could rank as 5/10 at best and while he seemed candid there was clearly a nagging doubt among the fanbase as to whether all he said was true. We move on just hoping for improvement. 

The problem is Steve Lansdown’s whole model was/is based on recruitment. If the foundations of that model are built on sand it eventually collapses - as it has done. Ashton was responsible for recruitment - as I understand it, his Analysts, his Scouts, his Shortlists. After 5 years, we’re a mess on the playing side. A complete, utter mess. 

You then add in - again as I understand it - his fitness gurus, his medical team, his coaches and the Club’s across the board performance is, frankly, dire. 

You then think this really should have been our  ‘golden era’... new stadium bounce, stable and supportive ownership, available funds, increasing support .....and that disappointment turns to despair. How could we have let it slip through our fingers when other comparable Clubs have delivered?

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Wait, what?

The £550k / year CEO is no different to most other jobs? I suppose he's on six weeks notice hence May 31st? Seriously? ?

I'm glad you mentioned this as there's actually something missing to the story here - because that makes no sense at all.

• Either he's on six months notice (minimum realistic at that role/salary) and told us at Christmas and we've waited until now to go public, but he (and maybe others) have known throughout the January window and the Holden departure, that he's off 
  • OR he's on six months notice but only told us in the last week or two when the Ipswich deal completed, and May 31st is the result of us agreeing to an early departure and/or the result of an agreement with Ipswich so he can take up his new role
  • OR we simply have employees on half a million quid on nothing more than standard 1-3 month notice periods (haha)

My money is on somewhere between the first two - it was noted by everyone that it was unusual MA suddenly disappeared and SL was parachuted in to explain DH leaving and then NP being appointed, so no doubt was known then, but probably not much before then, as would be unusual to have known then and be no closer to having leadership in place for the next scramble for players at the end of the season.

Given the commercially sensitive nature of his role, I would have thought that the minute the club knew of his departure ( whether that be MA handing in his notice, or by MA being put on the spot in view of the rumours flying around) that he would either be placed on gardening leave until his leaving day, or been let go without working his notice period.

53 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

*Humble brag* I reckon you are right. Don't forget it also stated SL was looking for outside investment too, which he confirmed a few weeks back! 

Definitely kudos for sharing on here, but those that were involved in discussions were specifically asked not to put onto social media, it will be interesting to see who the leak was

46 minutes ago, Daniro said:

Secondly, Ashton gets praise for getting big transfer fees,  but is there a sensible comparison to be made to previous eras to say he did better than anyone else?

I've previously said Webster is a fair example of Ashton doing well, can think more than likely the club previously would have jumped at the chance of getting £15m for a player, Ashton did well to hold his nerve and turn down multiple offers getting to £20m. I'd compare it to Maynard tbh when we previously had a high value asset, I know the several million pound offer from Leicester was turned down on the basis that Maynard didn't want to go there, but accepting for Maynard to say no would have indicated to other clubs we were willing to talk about him. Also £9m (+1m add on) for Bobby with 12 months left was also great business as was getting Jay Dasilva for £2m. Its fair to say Ashton could get good value for players both ways, but I don't think anyone has ever really said he was a bad or even frankly average negotiator on here.

35 minutes ago, Selred said:

To be fair just compare us to other Championship clubs. £20 million for Webster was a terrific price, and so was £13 million for Lloyd Kelly.

Also he did great business getting us Jay DaSilva for I believe only £2 mil.

But then paid £8m for Tomas Kalas.  Swings and Roundabout! Cake and Eat it!

12 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

This was my initial recollection, too, I must admit.

Eliasson identified by some analyst bod, followed up by Tinnion watching him in the flesh. Whether that coincided with Engvall or not, I can't remember.   

Yes, Engvall went back to Sweden with Djurgardens (their season runs differently).  Tinnion tweeted he was out there.

That game wasn’t against Norkopping either.  So Not Tinnion spotting him:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40867982

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haha, just been chatting to my mate....he’s been sat next to MA at the barbers today, MA getting his beard trimmed.

Supposedly (idle chat with with barber) MA only decided on Sunday and SL asked him to change his mind this morning.

I hope he asked for a vigorous haircut and only decided on that barber after a six week period where he could have shaved himself and not let his beard get so much into a shitshow 

And I’m calling bollocks on what he told the barber. Of course he was going to be begged to stay in his mind, it would never be any other way

There was a sense of inevitability about MA leaving. Regardless of how many fans (me included) don’t like his slimy manner, loads of issues have arisen under his watch. The recruitment over the last few years leaving us with an imbalanced squad lacking leaders, the injury problems, the number of players with contracts winding down, the debacle of Holden’s appointment and the spin from MA surrounding it.......it was time for a change. 

Hopefully this is the start of a series of impending announcements including the appointment of NP, a change in the coaching set-up and an overhaul of medical staff. 

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Haha, just been chatting to my mate....he’s been sat next to MA at the barbers today, MA getting his beard trimmed.

Supposedly (idle chat with with barber) MA only decided on Sunday and SL asked him to change his mind this morning.

He was supposedly chatting in the barbers just before the Deano appointment, can’t remember who posted it on here...

43 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Should have slipped near his throat with the cut throat!

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

The problem is Steve Lansdown’s whole model was/is based on recruitment. If the foundations of that model are built on sand it eventually collapses - as it has done. Ashton was responsible for recruitment - as I understand it, his Analysts, his Scouts, his Shortlists. After 5 years, we’re a mess on the playing side. A complete, utter mess. 

You then add in - again as I understand it - his fitness gurus, his medical team, his coaches and the Club’s across the board performance is, frankly, dire. 

You then think this really should have been our  ‘golden era’... new stadium bounce, stable and supportive ownership, available funds, increasing support .....and that disappointment turns to despair. How could we have let it slip through our fingers when other comparable Clubs have delivered?

In a nutshell. 

When you talk the talk, eventually you have to walk the walk.

For me, despite the no doubt many things he's put in place behind the scenes on the corporate side of things, he's been found out big style on the football side.

Yes, he'll have had his orders at times, but it is under his watch that a physio/fitness team have presided over countless serious injuries this season and most importantly his reputation initially profited from selling the existing quality in the squad and under his recruitment team, we've seen the quality of the squad depleted, bit by bit to the position we find ourselves in (don't even mention the overhaul needed this summer now) and a failure to identify anywhere near enough talent to develop. In what, 8, 10 transfer windows (?) he has made 50 plus signings, of which, what 2 or 3 (?) have been sold for a major profit and we've been left with a worse squad than when he arrived.

He way too much control and I welcome the shake up.

Archived