IGNORED

Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)

Harry

Just now, Rossi the Robin said:

Did he jump ship because NP has come in as a SL appointment and knows he wants restructure the club 

or did he leave and SL wanted him to stay? 

I suspect its because he knows it will likely get worse before it gets better and he's not so keen when the going gets tough. For the same reason he doesn't like appearing on Geoff's show of late. 

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I suspect its because he knows it will likely get worse before it gets better and he's not so keen when the going gets tough. For the same reason he doesn't like appearing on Geoff's show of late. 

Yep, whereas drop down a league to a relatively large, under achieving side at that level where the new investment should give him a season or two under the radar.............

8 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Good bye Ashton; shame the good buys during your tenure were virtually non-existent.

Ipswich's first signing under Ashton?

My money is on Nicky Hunt (or someone of similar calibre)

Paterson will be one of them not sure why I think that though.

Very glad he's gone. If he had stayed was convinced we would go down next season.

Let's hope we go back to signing players who are on the up and get NP in. 

Think we need a director of football in as well or other wise we will just keep going back to square one every time a new manager comes in. 

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

I noticed that too. I think he is well aware that he is generally disliked by most fans for very legitimate reasons. 

I think if he was aware of that AND considered them 'legitimate' then he might have done something to change. He'll think he's done a good job here. And, whatever else you may think of him (and whilst I'm no fan I don't share the hatred some seem to have) I don't think that he set out to deliberately damage the club by doing things he knew were wrong.

The real moment of truth comes in the next few weeks: as we discovered when LJ left, sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for!!

12 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Good bye Ashton; shame the good buys during your tenure were virtually non-existent.

Ipswich's first signing under Ashton?

My money is on Nicky Hunt (or someone of similar calibre)

Wasn't really a fan of Ashton but he was involved in a fair few very good buys to be fair...

3 hours ago, Olé said:

Wait, what?

The £550k / year CEO is no different to most other jobs? I suppose he's on six weeks notice hence May 31st? Seriously? ?

I'm glad you mentioned this as there's actually something missing to the story here - because that makes no sense at all.

• Either he's on six months notice (minimum realistic at that role/salary) and told us at Christmas and we've waited until now to go public, but he (and maybe others) have known throughout the January window and the Holden departure, that he's off 
  • OR he's on six months notice but only told us in the last week or two when the Ipswich deal completed, and May 31st is the result of us agreeing to an early departure and/or the result of an agreement with Ipswich so he can take up his new role
  • OR we simply have employees on half a million quid on nothing more than standard 1-3 month notice periods (haha)

My money is on somewhere between the first two - it was noted by everyone that it was unusual MA suddenly disappeared and SL was parachuted in to explain DH leaving and then NP being appointed, so no doubt was known then, but probably not much before then, as would be unusual to have known then and be no closer to having leadership in place for the next scramble for players at the end of the season.

Which CEOs of which companies are on six months notice? Usually it's agreed down anyway. 

53 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Did he jump ship because NP has come in as a SL appointment and knows he wants restructure the club 

or did he leave and SL wanted him to stay? 

He left because he knew that he was getting rumbled ie. he’d sold the family silver and replaced it with tosh. We’ve seen him get big fees for flint, Reid, Bryan, Kodjia, brownhill and Webster but he didn’t sign all of them. Far from it.  He’d let Ayling and Freeman leave on the cheap and left us with a bunch of largely gutless neverhasbeens. Eventually even lansdown would of worked out he was clueless on the footballing side of things and he knew it.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

But then paid £8m for Tomas Kalas.  Swings and Roundabout! Cake and Eat it!

And Wells for £5 mil. But the point was to add some balance because compared to most other clubs we have sold players for a very good value. 

But firmly Ashton out personally. 

44 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

Very glad he's gone. If he had stayed was convinced we would go down next season.

Let's hope we go back to signing players who are on the up and get NP in. 

Think we need a director of football in as well or other wise we will just keep going back to square one every time a new manager comes in. 

Maybe one of the conditions that NP set out to SL that Ashton isn’t someone he wants to work with and has someone in mind if he stays long term?

I hope it is Steve Walsh as D of F and Craig Shakespeare as a coach 

21 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’d have more money on him ending up at Sunderland.

Just been saying the same to Headhunter.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Unfortunately due to time I haven't been able to read all the posts.

However... apologies if it's been mentioned before, but would anyone think it a bit fishy if any of our ooc players end up at Ipswich?

If they end up at Ipswich it proves they weren’t good enough for where we are aiming (even if we are a little way off).  Good luck to them I say.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Unfortunately due to time I haven't been able to read all the posts.

However... apologies if it's been mentioned before, but would anyone think it a bit fishy if any of our ooc players end up at Ipswich?

Why would it be fishy?

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Just been saying the same to Headhunter.

If they end up at Ipswich it proves they weren’t good enough for where we are aiming (even if we are a little way off).  Good luck to them I say.

I was thinking more about the wages they'd be offering Dave.

The more you think about it...all these players out of contract, the trip to USA...it all smells like it was done for his career path rather than the Clubs.

He's basically been looking out for himself, rather than the club. I really do think SL and JL have been again...easily hoodwinked. 

Look at many of the players we have...apart from a few, the majority know their level and will have no desire to fight for promotion. There level is Championship or lower. They know they will be better off financially and more settled playing for a team in the Championship that isn't going to go up or down, but is paying good money.

It's an easy life with good pay.

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Why would it be fishy?

See previous post ?

32 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Webster, Kalas, Bentley, Dasilva, Brownhill etc.

Sorry, Dave, but the club had been monitoring Bentley when he was at Southend. LJ sanctioned the sale of Flint on the condition Webster was signed as his replacement. LJ was also the reason we got Brownhill, not Ashton transfer brilliance. I very much doubt we’ll get back much of the £10m combined spent on Kalas or Dasilva, either.

It’s fair to say he brought in some good money from selling the family silver, but don’t give him undue credit for signing quality replacements. 

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I was thinking more about the wages they'd be offering Dave.

The more you think about it...all these players out of contract, the trip to USA...it all smells like it was done for his career path rather than the Clubs.

He's basically been looking out for himself, rather than the club. I really do think SL and JL have been again...easily hoodwinked. 

Look at many of the players we have...apart from a few, the majority know their level and will have no desire to fight for promotion. There level is Championship or lower. They know they will be better off financially and more settled playing for a team in the Championship that isn't going to go up or down, but is paying good money.

It's an easy life with good pay.

See previous post ?

I’m on about the OOC players.

4 hours ago, One Team said:

As you indicated on OSIB in any other industry he’d be on gardening leave.

hes been sort of gardening for a while,digging,  his own grave. bye bye Mark, please take all your useless hangers on with you and dont bother closing the door,im sure the new team are already lined up,to replace all of you

We could go on forever deciding if Ashton was good or bad for the club; in reality he's obviously been somewhere in the middle. Definitely made us some good money on selling players, and whether he came up with names to recruit or not; he did negotiate the deals and has a reputation as a good negotiator. I think his "business-speak" made him come across as a bit slimey/a bullshitter which never helps.

We have a massive opportunity now with where we go with the next appointment; we have great potential (sorry to mention it again Nigel) with great infrastructure and probably one of the highest profile managers we've had in a very long time. I pray we keep Pearson (we're stupider than even I thought if we don't) and bring in someone who Pearson can work well with to totally reshape this squad over the next 2-3 seasons and get us to the Prem. I'm very excited, but it's also very easy to blow this. (As we have seen many times)

Archived