IGNORED

Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)

Harry

24 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Do you think Benjamin Bloom likes Foo Fighters? 

Hates them I reckon 

Hates them I reckon 

Hates them I reckon 

Hates them I reckon 

25 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Hates them I reckon

1 minute ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Just watched the Gregor interview with Benjamin Bloom, he says about Mark Ashton being part of the redevelopment and based on the Hawthorns. Was Ashton here when the plans and work started on the three stands? 

No.

15 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Just watched the Gregor interview with Benjamin Bloom, he says about Mark Ashton being part of the redevelopment and based on the Hawthorns. Was Ashton here when the plans and work started on the three stands? 

Gregor will have been referring to this from his article yesterday. Basically Ashton helped us when he was at WBA by sharing Hawthorns development info:

“One senior source told Bristol Live an important anecdote about the impact Ashton had in the boardroom during his earlier West Brom days that help show his value at corporate level and indicate why he is so highly regarded, when he was assistant to Baggies managing director John Wile many years ago. 

Wile and Ashton were described as exceptionally kind to the Bristol City directors on one visit, despite a late goal for the home side. The Baggies had got consent to build a new east stand, and Wile offered to share the architect plans. A meeting at the Hawthorns was hastily arranged, where exceptional help from Ashton was given, to the point of leading to important planning consent eventually being gained for the two new stands at the East End and South (now the Lansdown Stand) in BS3. 

The stands that were to be eventually constructed 20 years later at Ashton Gate are very similar and influenced by the structure at The Hawthorns, with Ashton playing a supporting role akin to a Kasey Palmer through-ball or Jack Hunt cross.”

Not to my knowledge . The rebuild started in our promotion season . Ashton didn’t join until the season after when the south & Dolman stands were finished & lansdown well underway . 

10 minutes ago, eardun said:

Gregor will have been referring to this from his article yesterday. Basically Ashton helped us when he was at WBA by sharing Hawthorns development info:

“One senior source told Bristol Live an important anecdote about the impact Ashton had in the boardroom during his earlier West Brom days that help show his value at corporate level and indicate why he is so highly regarded, when he was assistant to Baggies managing director John Wile many years ago. 

Wile and Ashton were described as exceptionally kind to the Bristol City directors on one visit, despite a late goal for the home side. The Baggies had got consent to build a new east stand, and Wile offered to share the architect plans. A meeting at the Hawthorns was hastily arranged, where exceptional help from Ashton was given, to the point of leading to important planning consent eventually being gained for the two new stands at the East End and South (now the Lansdown Stand) in BS3. 

The stands that were to be eventually constructed 20 years later at Ashton Gate are very similar and influenced by the structure at The Hawthorns, with Ashton playing a supporting role akin to a Kasey Palmer through-ball or Jack Hunt cross.”

Twenty years after & he’s being given credit ?

19 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not to my knowledge . The rebuild started in our promotion season . Ashton didn’t join until the season after when the south & Dolman stands were finished & lansdown well underway . 

Nothing to do with Ashton - all Andrew Billinghams work.

Having listened through, it could be that Ashton was in the wrong role at Bristol City.

Negotiation and business acumen YES

Player selection, recruitment and medical side NO

Who will have decided upon where his responsibility boundaries lay?

I'm happy he is going btw. Do we have a process to follow for our new CEO recruitment?

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

It’s not but to say it’s a tenuous link to him is a understatement 

Ben B thought he could see the similarities between our home stands and the home stands at the Hawthorns anyway - concourses especially he mentioned.

Lots of conspiracy theories but the real Ashtongate for me is the fact he’s allowed to stay on til the end of May. I’m sure if this was Hargreaves Lansdown it would be ‘ Collect your belongings in a bin bag at the back door at midnight; oh and you’re not allowed to work in the same industry for six months’. 
Real pressure needs to be put on SL so that Ashton is gone permanently this week otherwise next season will be worse than this one. 

4 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Lots of conspiracy theories but the real Ashtongate for me is the fact he’s allowed to stay on til the end of May. I’m sure if this was Hargreaves Lansdown it would be ‘ Collect your belongings in a bin bag at the back door at midnight; oh and you’re not allowed to work in the same industry for six months’. 
Real pressure needs to be put on SL so that Ashton is gone permanently this week otherwise next season will be worse than this one. 

I’m sure that his involvement will be minimal, if at all now.....he’s probably on “Garden Leave”......

4 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

I can’t believe he’ll be allowed to carry on any football related activities going forward.  It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s already on some form of gardening leave, only been doing public appearances (matches, RHPC) to keep people off the scent.

17 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Excellently done - Ashtongate at Ashton Gate!

Need someone else in quickly given the number of contracts to negotiate. 

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Webster, Kalas, Bentley, Dasilva, Brownhill etc.

Personally I think we paid over the odds for Kalas. Webster and Brownhill (Brownhill was possibly LJs shout) fair enough. Bentley and Dasilva are decent enough but I’m not sure we would make a huge profit on them if sold even if it weren’t for covid.

for every one of those he got right I’d guess there would be 4 or 5 that have been average at best. And certainly none that have turned a profit.

8 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Personally I think we paid over the odds for Kalas. Webster and Brownhill (Brownhill was possibly LJs shout) fair enough. Bentley and Dasilva are decent enough but I’m not sure we would make a huge profit on them if sold even if it weren’t for covid.

for every one of those he got right I’d guess there would be 4 or 5 that have been average at best. And certainly none that have turned a profit.

By a mile.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Haha, just been chatting to my mate....he’s been sat next to MA at the barbers today, MA getting his beard trimmed.

Supposedly (idle chat with with barber) MA only decided on Sunday and SL asked him to change his mind this morning.

I reckon MA was very brave to trust a Bristol barber with a cut throat razor in his hand. ?

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Haha, just been chatting to my mate....he’s been sat next to MA at the barbers today, MA getting his beard trimmed.

Supposedly (idle chat with with barber) MA only decided on Sunday and SL asked him to change his mind this morning.

Did Mark ask the barber to be vigorous or rigorous with the shaving brush? 

41 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Exactly, you can just see MA refusing a new contract for Walsh, then Ipswich picking him up on a free!

Yes exactly. I think MA will not be allowed any proper involvement from now on. Maybe he hasn't for a while anyway? As others have said SL must have had employees at Hargreaves Lansdown who have left for competitors.

3 hours ago, eardun said:

Revisionist horseshit. (Thanks for posting, can't be arsed to listen for that long to the opinions of people who know **** all about our club) 

11 hours ago, tin said:

Sorry, Dave, but the club had been monitoring Bentley when he was at Southend. LJ sanctioned the sale of Flint on the condition Webster was signed as his replacement. LJ was also the reason we got Brownhill, not Ashton transfer brilliance. I very much doubt we’ll get back much of the £10m combined spent on Kalas or Dasilva, either.

It’s fair to say he brought in some good money from selling the family silver, but don’t give him undue credit for signing quality replacements. 

But that also shows that Ashton wasn't the person responsible for identifying and bringing in players? At least not entirely...

2 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

But that also shows that Ashton wasn't the person responsible for identifying and bringing in players? At least not entirely...

I don't think anyone thought that necessarily. The impression seems to be that (using LJ's spell as an example) it was a collective effort, as you'd expect, but there were certain players 'recommended' to Johnson if he told the recruitment team he needed X or Y. 

Realistically Johnson is going to know about the likes of Webster and Brownhill. He's far less likely to know about Diony, Engvall or Hegeler. That's where the recruitment team's database plays a role. 

Archived