IGNORED

Mark Ashton Leaving (Merged)

Harry

Well he's now officially ours and in truth the general consensus on our fan forums is one of hope and expectation.     I can see below the surface however and have the insight he was one of your let's say, 'least wanted' before he took off and carries a significant tag of damaged goods but I'll be prepared to give him the chance.   After all he could hardly be any worse than some of the names that came before him.   Been a number of big changes here the past few months what with Cook coming in, Lambert and Evans out and the Yanks taking ownership.   Don't think it's a good thing to be all tentative with change, you never know sometimes it can work for the better.

Ashton had the chance to speak out when arriving, did a conference of sorts where he rambled on about what a privilege it is to be associated with a club of out stature (?)  and waxing lyrical about past names that played with us and the scale of opportunity ahead.    I don't know if he was being disingenuous,  just confused, or being told what to read, but somewhere, something, didn't sit right.

Better that saying 'Hello, I'm Mark Ashton, what a pleasure it is to be here with all you country folk, hicks and yokels.    A silly team not often recognised and no domestic trophy won for 43 years but hey, I'm here to turn it around and put this club back to it's former greatness.   (By the way do you have electricity in this town, and get those sheep in before it rains")

One of your old players Wes Burns arrived the other day from Fleetwood.    We have a number of forwards but most of them are shit, they can't even do a job in League One.     Burns scored some 22 goals in 175 appearances ?  for Fleetwood, which is a concern, but maybe he'll adapt at a different club set-up and improve.

Not sure about that there's still lot's of changes needed at the club by way of getting rid of a whole host of players that are now surplus but still a long way off until a new season.     Obviously our aim is to get back to the Championship as soon as, but somehow think it's going to take a lot longer than Ashton, Cook, Gamechanger Yanks, or many of our own fans could hope to imagine.  

Ashton hasn’t been there long but already he’s convinced the local paper,  the East Anglian Daily Times, that he’s masterminding everything. He’s already taken credit for signing Wes Burns, but now he’s doing the same with Lee Evans. Evans “played a central role” for Wigan when managed by Paul Cook, so it’s a reasonable assumption that Cook wanted to sign him for Ipswich. Not according to the newspaper report:

“Ipswich Town are closing in on their second signing of the transfer window - former Wigan midfielder Lee Evans.

The EADT and Ipswich Star understands that the 26-year-old is due in Suffolk for a medical today and could quickly join yesterday's recruit, Wes Burns, in putting pen to paper.

The Blues' new CEO, Mark Ashton, only officially started on Tuesday, but looks set to land two players before his first week in the job is over.

Evans played a central role during all three of Paul Cook’s seasons in charge at Wigan, twice being brought in on loan – first from Wolves and then from Sheffield United – before signing permanently in January 2019.”

6 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Well he's now officially ours and in truth the general consensus on our fan forums is one of hope and expectation.     I can see below the surface however and have the insight he was one of your let's say, 'least wanted' before he took off and carries a significant tag of damaged goods but I'll be prepared to give him the chance.   After all he could hardly be any worse than some of the names that came before him.   Been a number of big changes here the past few months what with Cook coming in, Lambert and Evans out and the Yanks taking ownership.   Don't think it's a good thing to be all tentative with change, you never know sometimes it can work for the better.

Ashton had the chance to speak out when arriving, did a conference of sorts where he rambled on about what a privilege it is to be associated with a club of out stature (?)  and waxing lyrical about past names that played with us and the scale of opportunity ahead.    I don't know if he was being disingenuous,  just confused, or being told what to read, but somewhere, something, didn't sit right.

Better that saying 'Hello, I'm Mark Ashton, what a pleasure it is to be here with all you country folk, hicks and yokels.    A silly team not often recognised and no domestic trophy won for 43 years but hey, I'm here to turn it around and put this club back to it's former greatness.   (By the way do you have electricity in this town, and get those sheep in before it rains")

One of your old players Wes Burns arrived the other day from Fleetwood.    We have a number of forwards but most of them are shit, they can't even do a job in League One.     Burns scored some 22 goals in 175 appearances ?  for Fleetwood, which is a concern, but maybe he'll adapt at a different club set-up and improve.

Not sure about that there's still lot's of changes needed at the club by way of getting rid of a whole host of players that are now surplus but still a long way off until a new season.     Obviously our aim is to get back to the Championship as soon as, but somehow think it's going to take a lot longer than Ashton, Cook, Gamechanger Yanks, or many of our own fans could hope to imagine.  

Good to see the Suffolk Punch again - but as a retired Tractor Boy, just a friendly word of advice. I don't think you understand what is expected in an OTIB post. Please show less courtesy and common sense in future. 

Best of luck with Ashton. I watched the interview he gave sat in the stand at Portman Road and it sent a shiver down my spine - you might not be so optimistic in a few months time, I fear. I'm glad to be rid of him but I'd rather have shipped him off to Norwich........

(PS I still drink my morning coffee from my Brian Osborne Subbuteo mug.... sigh.....)

7 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

I’m originally a Suffolk boy who came west over 40 years ago but, whilst a ST holder at City I still have a fondness for Ipswich Town - an early memory is of the Alf Ramsey team that did the amazing feat of gaining promotion to the old First Division and winning it with a ragbag of unfancied players - an even greater feat than Leicester winning the Premier League. I concur with the comments about Ashton, a bull-merchant we were glad to see the back of, who pulled the wool over the Lansdowns’ eyes and appointed a load of mates and yes men, which he seems to be repeating. I don’t think it will take long for Paul Cook to get the measure of him and collect his cards. I wish Ashton had gone to any other club than Ipswich, he may appear better than what went before but fans’ optimism won’t last long, I fear.

Had a read of the thread on the Ipswich forum, found this post interesting- if they limit his remit there could be benefits...

We’ll have to see what happens. Ashton is under a different manager and different owners working to different parameters. It could be they utilise everything he does in a positive manner and negate the bad because, perhaps, he was acting on what was requested of him rather than off his own bat.

And as said in the first reply, considering what we had in place before ANYONE would be an improvement.

Wouldn't say he's a surefire failure but it depends too on the specifics of what his remit might be.

Another interesting one.

Interesting as in his interview yesterday he made it clear that recruitment has nothing to do with him in terms of selecting players - that’s down to Cook and the scouts.just surmising at this stage but perhaps Gamechanger are giving him less freedom than Lansdown did?

If he interferes and becomes a recurring theme, Cook will walk and quite quickly of that I'm fairly confident.

Will certainly be interesting to see how it plays out- but leave him to finances, looking to maximise benefits to a club in terms of fees in and out, pushing for EFL influence and ability to influence others at that level, to press the interests of the Club- and you might have a positive CEO.

6 hours ago, Fuber said:

I'm a bit confused.

We just came 20th.

How are we arrogant? - I'd snatch someone's hand off for 14th next season and some actual shots on target.

19th actually, but I take your point & so would I…

18 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

Watch out for his dad on your forum telling everyone how great he is (he isn’t) 

22 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Aye, they've got us bang to rights, especially on the divine promotion right

In 35 years of supporting City I can hand on heart say I have NEVER heard a City fan claim that we have any  right to be a Premier League club.

Ive also never heard any City fan claim we are ‘massive’ (another myth that’s thrown around).

Im not saying we haven’t got a few deluded pounders who may think those things....what I am saying is that if that’s your impression then you’re obviously hanging around with the wrong people.

Ditch the pounders. ?

23 hours ago, Street red said:

Ps Ipswich fans we don't have a devine right to be anywhere and if that's what you think we take it you obviously don't know alot!!! 

I don’t know who ‘Felix’ is, and I apologise if he/she is on here, but I find these posts a bit cringy plus they are always asking for trouble. No fan of any club wants to be warned of impending doom, especially when they’re a reasonable sized club that has failed to escape L1 for another season. In reality we have no idea how Ashton will get on there so it’s totally pointless anyway.

In the City fans defence the rage directed at him appears to stem from several Ipswich fans not reading his post correctly. They think he’s saying that we are laughing at them, what ‘Felix’ said was that we are laughing at what Ashton said.

Ipswich fans...learn to ******* read.

37 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I don’t know who ‘Felix’ is, and I apologise if he/she is on here, but I find these posts a bit cringy plus they are always asking for trouble. No fan of any club wants to be warned of impending doom, especially when they’re a reasonable sized club that has failed to escape L1 for another season. In reality we have no idea how Ashton will get on there so it’s totally pointless anyway.

In the City fans defence the rage directed at him appears to stem from several Ipswich fans not reading his post correctly. They think he’s saying that we are laughing at them, what ‘Felix’ said was that we are laughing at what Ashton said.

I believe it was established earlier in this thread that ‘FELIX’ is your friend @Robbored.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Felix1955  is a part of one of my emails.

Right.

Well, I don’t really understand why you took the time and trouble to sign up and post on a forum of a club on the other side of the country only to get rinsed by the natives?

Its nice to have a hobby I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Right.

Well, I don’t really understand why you took the time and trouble to sign up and post on a forum of a club on the other side of the country only to get rinsed by the natives?

Regardless of which club we support, we are all fans of the beautiful game. We are all the same.

I signed up of the Tractor Boys forum originally to ask why they sold Webster and it was because the club had been poorly run and AW was their best source of income.

10 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I'm not worried about what Ipswich fans say we are just explaining our concern to them. If they want to slag us off for the amount of history we have or should feel lucky to be in the championship that's up to them this about how Bristol city has been left, This is about us Bristol city fans being absolutely B******** to in the last 5 years we are not laughing at them but the fact I'm/we are laughing at Ashton for totally repeating how hes failed at our football club.. !!!  If they think he's god's gift then that's up to them.. But hes not not welcome back anytime soon !!!

8 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Right.

A welcome distraction from being rinsed on OTIB I suppose....

31 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He is not welcome at Ashton Gate EVER! Absolute scheister!

Unfortunately the likelihood is the Lansdown family will roll out the red carpet for him, when they should be asking how long he’s been in talks with Ipswich new owners, and planning his move. Add in the fact a number of players have become out of contract and have left the club for nothing during this period where we’ve paid transfer fees of c£10million plus  - something has gone wrong be that at the door of Ashton or the Lansdown family an explanation should be provided as to why this was allowed to happen when the club reports losses on an annual basis 

An extract from today's East Anglian Times article.

'All the names will go into the funnel' - Ashton explains his data-driven recruitment approach

Ipswich Town have started to make summer signings, something new CEO Mark Ashton promised on Tuesday, his first day in the job. He told Mark Heath about his scientific approach to recruitment, and how he plans to upgrade it at Town...

"You have been doing your research!" is how a laughing Mark Ashton responds to my question about his famed 'data dashboard' and technical approach to player recruitment.

It's ironic, of course - because if anyone's been doing their research, it's Ashton. 

Town's new CEO prides himself on getting recruitment right. At Bristol City he spoke of the aforementioned dashboard, a matrix of all the latest information on the club's rivals, transfer business, targets and inside information, fed into a screen in his office.

Obviously, I ask if he's bringing that with him to Portman Road. And how it works.

"Absolutely, 100%," he replies. "I've already been on to my PA this morning saying 'right, can we send the analysis, my data dashboards!

That’s them buggered then!

P.S. He must have had the funnel upside down when he was here.

P.P.S. Is that the data dashboard that coordinated so many players’ contracts to end this summer?

P.P.P.S. When he refers to the matrix being fed to the screen in his office, this is the screen he really meant....

123freesolitaire_klondike_screenshot.jpg

As a software developer that knows, some, data science… He’s a c***, probably doesn’t even know what discrete math is, total show pony.

I can’t even imagine how it must feel for someone else in his direct field to hear the shit he comes out with? Data dashboard? What does that even mean? It’s just nonsensical crap.

7 minutes ago, Banned User said:

As a software developer that knows, some, data science… He’s a c***, probably doesn’t even know what discrete math is, total show pony.

I can’t even imagine how it must feel for someone else in his direct field to hear the shit he comes out with? Data dashboard? What does that even mean? It’s just nonsensical crap.

A data dashboard is an information management tool that visually tracks, analyzes and displays key performance indicators (KPI), metrics and key data points to monitor the health of a business, department or specific process. They are customizable to meet the specific needs of a department and company. 

Archived