Jump to content
IGNORED

Bristol City fan to run for Mayor


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

First job when he gets into power, is get a disabled access for Parson Street train station.

Then fans can visit the three lions en route(or returning) from Ashton Gate

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/outspoken-pub-landlord-to-enter-race-to-become-bristols-next-mayor/

Unfortunately there is little appetite across the country on this point. 

My family has tried for over a decade to have access installed at our local station. It ain't gonna happen here because its of no importance whatsoever to non-disabled people. 

One commuter once said to me "why do we need a disabled lift/ramp? I've never seen a disabled person using this station". 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The same people who hate Marvin Rees will be playing into his hands by voting for Sean/any other independent. 

If you want Rees out, vote tactically & vote for the next likely person to get in. 

UK would do well to implement a system where there are two/three tiers and if you don't get a certain amount of votes to go to the next, you drop out and potentially endorse another candidate. I think the Conservative party leadership race was ran like that & I believe the US political system is the same. - I've only really looked at this briefly, so I could be missing reasons as to why you wouldn't wanna go down this route though.

All the best to Sean though. He's a top bloke, I just don't see it happening!

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

The same people who hate Marvin Rees will be playing into his hands by voting for Sean/any other independent. 

If you want Rees out, vote tactically & vote for the next likely person to get in. 

UK would do well to implement a system where there are two/three tiers and if you don't get a certain amount of votes to go to the next, you drop out and potentially endorse another candidate. I think the Conservative party leadership race was ran like that & I believe the US political system is the same. - I've only really looked at this briefly, so I could be missing reasons as to why you wouldn't wanna go down this route though.

All the best to Sean though. He's a top bloke, I just don't see it happening!

 

If everyone voted for what they believe in and support, then we wouldn't need any clever system or tactical voting. 

Over to you, voters. 

Tactical voting, in part, explains why sane, caring people can end up voting for things they'd never normally support in a million years. And we call that democracy. 

The worst thing I ever heard a voter say was "I'm not voting for them, because they won't win". An absolute travesty. 

Edited by CotswoldRed
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

There's a list of the candidates here: https://whocanivotefor.co.uk/elections/mayor.bristol.2021-05-06/mayor-of-bristol/

What a sorry bunch, none of them make me want to bother voting. The best candidate appears to be the ex-porn star. 😂

I dunno, maybe read their policies, if you haven't already? 

I'm not trying to be funny. Most people don't. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Marvin will get back in on a reduced majority. 

You're right and with a very much reduced majority, I've voted nothing but Labour all my life but for the first time ever I shall be putting my vote elsewhere, the man has zero interest in the people of South Bristol 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Galway Red said:

You're right and with a very much reduced majority, I've voted nothing but Labour all my life but for the first time ever I shall be putting my vote elsewhere, the man has zero interest in the people of South Bristol 

Or north, east or west! I’m very much Labour but the man makes it very difficult to vote for him. 

Edited by lenred
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a City supporter living in Toronto I take much more interest in our matches than local politics nowadays. Stretching the bounds of a footy thread, but I'd genuinely love to hear a quick summary of why City fans don't like Rees as I have no awareness! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I dunno, maybe read their policies, if you haven't already? 

I'm not trying to be funny. Most people don't. 

I have, that's why I think the ex-porn bloke is probably the best candidate. He seems to genuinely care about the homeless.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm not mistaken, Marvin and his right hand man have been trying to do a deal at the fruit market, which enables Rovers to benefit from a stadium build. So any vote against Marvin is a vote against Rovers.

He's also shut down public toilets which is an attack on older people and the disabled. Also restricted access for anyone in South Bristol, to the main railway station of our City and, access to the majority of city centre facilities be that leisure, shopping or hospitals, by closing off Bristol Bridge to anything other than Buses, Taxi's or 2 wheeled/legged transport. This is very difficult and time consuming for all people, especially those with mobility problems and also increases vehicle movements on the perimeter of the central areas, thus increasing pollution. Oh yes, he also wants to include the Cumberland basin into the clean air zone, further penalising anyone going to or from south Bristol. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dunc said:

As a City supporter living in Toronto I take much more interest in our matches than local politics nowadays. Stretching the bounds of a footy thread, but I'd genuinely love to hear a quick summary of why City fans don't like Rees as I have no awareness! 

He’s a supporter of a former non league club who are about to enjoy their fourth spell in England’s basement division.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...