IGNORED

Steve Walsh

Kid in the Riot

You know that boring bit in financial contracts which says “investments can go down as well as up” which no one ever reads? Walsh was a total disaster at Everton, spending absolute fortunes on rubbish in the awful Koeman era.

Since then he has been in the US, which is a totally different world to the English Championship.

I’m not saying he wouldn’t do a decent job for us but we might just be getting someone who has had his day in the sun already..

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

You know that boring bit in financial contracts which says “investments can go down as well as up” which no one ever reads? Walsh was a total disaster at Everton, spending absolute fortunes on rubbish in the awful Koeman era.

Since then he has been in the US, which is a totally different world to the English Championship.

I’m not saying he wouldn’t do a decent job for us but we might just be getting someone who has had his day in the sun already..

But if NP wants him surely it’s with the gamble. 

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/everton-rejected-cutprice-andy-robertson-harry-maguire-erling-haaland-deals-a4289616.html

"While I was at Everton, I offered them Andrew Robertson and Harry Maguire deals, when they were at Hull, and it was worth £20 million for the pair," he told The Athletic.

"Everton wouldn’t take them.

"I had a deal done for Jonny Evans too before he came to Leicester, but again they wouldn’t take him."

During Walsh's time at Everton the club signed six strikers and but was Champions League star Erling Haaland who failed to make the list.

The 19-year-old has scored 26 goals in 18 games for Red Bull Salzburg this season, including seven in four Champions League games.

Walsh continued: "Erling Haaland, the striker with Salzburg, I had him and his dad at the club with a deal done for €4m (£3.4m).

"The club wouldn’t back me."

14 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes I expect NP to want his own team if/when offered the job. But does not a lot friend on whether MA is staying or going ☺

Announced as stepping down on May 31st....

Apparently for all the good targets he missed there were some atrocious ones he spent funds on too, I can’t find the list now but these are the ones they missed out on but they did back him massively signing wise but some were flops too & very big fees. Worth the risk though & who knows the setup that they had internally vs Leicester’s

I would suggest he excels at spotting talent early and negotiating for promising players before they fulfill all their potential on the flip hand he hasnt had great success at buying 'ready to go' prime age players.

Would imagine with the financial climate in the coming years we will largely be looking at the former anyway.

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I'm thinking that might have had more to do with a new owner wanting to throw money around like a billy big bollox, to make some sort of "statement".

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

DoF and Manager (head-coach) need to be singing from same hymn sheet.  NP said in one of those many videos I watched before he was announced.

- need to know what we’ve got

- what we need

- when we need it (e.g. which positions are priority)

- what the playing identity is

- etc.

Sounds like NP and SW were aligned, whereas him and RK weren’t.

2 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Sounds like he is better unearthing gems than playing with big budgets. Sounds perfect for us and would be a real coup for the club. 

I’d totally agree that he’s much better at finding unknown talent, as his time at leicester proved.
Before he went to Everton he’d already identified Gana gueye as a replacement for Kante, and ended up signing him for Everton for 7m.

Although his time there was pretty much a disaster, I don’t think we can judge him too much on his time at Everton because Koeman wanted a lot of those big money signings that didn’t work out. Everton are still paying the price for those poor signings.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I'm thinking that might have had more to do with a new owner wanting to throw money around like a billy big bollox, to make some sort of "statement".

Yes, quite possibly a factor but fair to say Evertonians weren’t impressed with him or Koeman.

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

DoF and Manager (head-coach) need to be singing from same hymn sheet.  NP said in one of those many videos I watched before he was announced.

- need to know what we’ve got

- what we need

- when we need it (e.g. which positions are priority)

- what the playing identity is

- etc.

Sounds like NP and SW were aligned, whereas him and RK weren’t.

Almost certainly, not many succeed everywhere. 

I’m probably as concerned by the fact he’s been in North Carolina of late, that’s some distance from here in several ways.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Hired by Charlottle in March 2020 to prepare them for their first season in MLS which starts this weekend.

His work is therefore pretty much done there.

Built Leicester's Premier League winning side of 2016 with Nige.

Go get him please, Steve. 

Just imagine if the wheels were already in motion . . . 

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are already speaking to Walsh and also if we’ve asked Villa if we can have a chat with Shakespeare. 
This is the management team that put together a premier league title winning team. It would be remiss of SL to not at least attempt to put them back together. 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we are already speaking to Walsh and also if we’ve asked Villa if we can have a chat with Shakespeare. 
This is the management team that put together a premier league title winning team. It would be remiss of SL to not at least attempt to put them back together. 

@Kid in the Riot what do you think the chances are?

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

tenor.gif.59ce4d3082c600d9f75d94cfb88ed516.gif

Archived